“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





A Title> I Don't Have One!!

TWO OF MY VIDEOS
Over the Bridge [link]
I cross this about three/four times a week to go birding ... some months

Courting Duck [link]
I call this one, Blue Byll Cosbie. He never gave up 'til he got his way with the girl.



POLITICAL SOAPBOX
First off, I am proud of England's Citizens, voting to drop out of EU...people speak volumes when they get out and vote!! And I now hope for the best for you all.


With both political conventions in America just around the corner, I was busy viewing TWO videos online to perhaps assist me in my decision come November. Of course as I type this, neither probable candidate has been nominated. But, perhaps I can believe that the RNC will come around and back the winner in the primaries to avoid a bartered convention, and the sure bet with primary delegate votes, Ms. C will be in.

So, I'm viewing these this past weekend.

The Making of "DJT" [as with the History Channel, it's repetitive in dialogue and film -and quite frankly too long, you can get the gist of this man in the first 30 minutes or so...but all in all, it can be a valuable piece of documentary]

Ms. C: A Career Criminal [Crimes and Murders] [this was a bit startling and scary, and again considered by me a worthwhile look ...I can almost guarantee you'll be shocked as I was]



No matter who is nominated, and no matter which party or whom you choose this November, remember...get out and vote....the country needs YOU!! But, I honestly recommend you watch these above...at least some of them both..... do your homework. Don't get bored with it all; pay attention. If you're American, the country's well-being is at stake.
I predict this election year will be as Bette Davis was misquoted in the movie All About Eve...."FASTEN YOUR SEAT BELTS IT'S GONNA BE A BUMPY RIDE" [she actually said 'night' instead of ride]



COTTON
It's about that time of year once again...In South Texas, cotton is a huge commodity. Along with sorghum fields, cotton fields are seen all around us when we drive the country roads. A few cotton gins can be found in our county, one abandoned cotton gin is on the outskirts of the city  Well, I've posted other blogs about the fields, cotton, and gins before today, but this last Sunday I pulled off the road and got out and walked into the field a little way to get some close up photos of the cotton BOLLS before they ripen.  A bit of how cotton grows to maturity and harvesting...
...when the cotton blooms, the blossom is white [or oftentimes a pale yellow]
...it self pollinates
...after it is pollinated the white blossom turns pink
...once the pink blossom falls, the boll sets on [first photo, a close up* image]
...the boll will dry, and the 'seed' opens which is the cotton you see and know
...harvest time!









FENCE and ROOSTER
I spotted this outside a yard fence while on a walk along Packery Channel Park...

...then, on another day, another park, I spied a REAL rooster crowing that reminded me of the metal yard art seen days before!




THE WORD 'UP'*
Have you ever stopped to think how confusing the English language is? Have you ever stopped to think of the simple two letter word UP? How many uses are there? And confusing? Like for instance:
  • OPEN up shop at 8 a.m. - CLOSE up shop at 5 p.m.
  • OPEN up a drain - because it's CLOGGED up
  • When it threatens to rain, it's CLOUDING up, but when the rain stops, it's CLEARED up - Oh and by the way, if it doesn't rain for some time, things DRY up.
  • If you hear the words 'DRESS up'...what do you see in your mind...play time as a kid, or getting ready to go out on the town?
  • If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more uses.

 For now tho, I'll wrap it UP and shut UP.
...leaving a comment is UP to you.





72 comments :

  1. Your English language thing is funny! And the real rooster, you actually got him mid-crow!!! I love it, excellent photo! But maybe the cotton is the best. I have never seen cotton plants and did not know anything about them. Loved seeing and learning this! And the cotton pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love roosters!!!

      Thanks Ginny

      Delete
  2. It's really important to go out and vote. I agree completely. Love the cotton field shots. I don't think we have them here close by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see you stop by Mersad.

      Delete
  3. interesting about the cotton. I like that metal rooster. The English language is a bit messed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine how difficult a language like ours is to learn.

      Delete
  4. Yep, this election is going to be wild especially if the GOP decides to change the rules to avoid giving it to Mr. Trump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lord have mercy. All I can say is, if they begin changing rules and of course not wanting Trump as their party nominee...that'll truly mess up the chance of a Republican President!! What are they thinking?

      Delete
  5. We're NOT voting for Pant Suit....just saying. Yes, get out the vote. If you don't, then don't complain...however, I think the fix is in for her. Sad to say...yes, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

    Oh, where was I? The Courting Duck made me laugh and I almost spilled my coffee. smiles--have a beautiful day friend...and I have seen those videos as well, and if you want more info on crooked pant suit, let me know...will be glad to provide it...wink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both....I can't STAND Ms. Pant Suit either!!!! 'Nough said.

      Delete
  6. I am UP to commenting, because I have been UP since 4 am... loved the UP commentary..I popped over to see the bridge and the Cosbie duck.. beautiful bridge..i have never seen a blue bill on any bird. now i have.
    I love the real rooster, but not the sound he is making. i prefer mine without sound on the crowing rooster.
    I have seen fields of cotton all my life but only the white bolls, never like this and had no idea about any of this. that bud at the first part is AMAZING.
    about the yellow trees, we have the red, the yellow and the red/orange and this time of year is amazing. they are every where.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bill on the Ruddy Duck is only blue during courting season.
      Those trees were just mind boggling gorgeous.

      Delete
  7. Amen Anni if one doesn't vote then one has no voice in the outcome. But unfortunately we will hear from them.
    I love traveling to our coast this time of year. There are lots of cotton fields there too.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...true....people seem to think that their vote doesn't count and then do nothing about it. I irks me to no end.

      I can imagine the cotton fields in N C!!!

      Delete
  8. Cotton, sorghum, corn, and rice fields around us. The cotton photos are great! My favorite though are the rice fields which are changing now from emerald green to gold. Gorgeous! The rusty red brown of the sorghum is lovely too. And it's getting close to time for the second hay cutting. Beauty all around. (But hot, very hot!) That's all for now; I've taken up enough time and space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, good time of year for farming/crops activity.

      Tell me....or rather, ASK me how hot it is. LOL

      Delete
  9. I love that cotton boll shot. Very beautiful UP close like that. And yes, English is a confusing language, so I'm glad I didn't have to learn it as a second one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed....being around those that spoke English when learning how to talk, it helps!!

      Delete
  10. Hello Anni, pretty images and I love the rooster. I plan on voting, would not miss it. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to read....you voting. We all need to do this to put our two cents worth. Make it known WHO we want. Not who the conventions' delegates want.

      Delete
  11. I love both videos. Thank you so nuch for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you took the time to view them Jedidja.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for this fun and reflection

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Great blog! I too, love roosters. Lots of very interesting information here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  14. I will be voting for sure. And I'm equally sure I will not be voting for that lady criminal. Enough on that... :)
    I really enjoyed your cotton photos and the information. I've never seen cotton blossoms before. They are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Criminal indeed.
      Glad you enjoyed reading about cotton Mari.

      Delete
  15. Cotton is sure a pretty flower. Oh don't worry I will vote like I do every election. I only wish we had more then the two parties. Maybe 3 to 5 would be nice...Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long ago, I thought the very same....having more than two parties.

      Delete
  16. Thank you for your good wishes to the Uk Anni. The Britsh people ignored all their politicians who told them to leave the EU was a bad thing. We even had Obama telling us what to do! In the end we are all grown ups and able to make a decision and by a referendum majority decided we would leave the EU and once again make our own way in the world in trading with other nations. Good luck with your own elections in November and as you say everyone should vote otherwise they have no reason to complain about their politicians. Can't say I envy your choice in November though!

    It wa so interesting to see and read cotton like that. Didn't know any of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say, getting out of the EU was a wise thing to do. Oh yes...that president of ours, he thinks he knows all. What a joke.

      Delete
  17. neat blooms. i like the rooster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx...& thanx 4 hosting

      Delete
  18. love the cotton boll pics! oh and i especially love the crowing rooster, and the metal one! i would like to see the doc on miss c...sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be there for quite some time...maybe you can FIND time. THAT video is about 20 minutes long. Thanks Tanya.

      Delete
  19. Absolutely loved your post today. I love to learn and your cotton photos are great. I am definitely watch both docs. as I think we are in a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed...a mess to put it mildly. Thanks Peggy

      Delete
  20. Our country is in far rude awaking with either one. I keep hearing if Marshall Law declared, Obama will stay in. Lord onlhy knows what the future holds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't think it'll come to Marshall Law. Yep, and it's best to NOT know what's ahead. At least I think.

      Delete
  21. I grew up in the South so it makes me feel good to see pics of the cotton fields and colorful roosters! Enjoy your day...but try to stay cool! Boy is it HOT! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....even HOT winds!!!!! Drying things out to a scary situation if we don't get some rain here pretty soon.

      Delete
  22. Voting Question...How do you vote when you dislike both of the candiates?
    Cool photo's of the Cotton. I didn't know it had the pink blooms.
    Great metal rooster by the fence and a nice real life rooster as well.
    Very funny piece of the word, Up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ida. And to answer your question, I think this time around I will vote for what the party represents...it's difficult, but still, my vote counts.

      Delete
  23. Both roosters are very fancy, Anni. And one of them knows it!

    P.S. Cotton is about all I like to wear. Especially in the heat we have now.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Light cotton....is great in the summer.

      Delete
  24. I never knew what cotton looked like in the early stages, neat. love your rooster fence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...now you do Felicia. And thanks.

      Delete
  25. It was nice to know more about cotton. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful photos - thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It would be nice to have more than two parties. It is going to be a very interesting election. Kind of scary. Your pictures are terrific. Good to learn more about cotton. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sometimes, like in this case, I agree.

      Delete
  28. your commentary on UP cracked me UP! thank you for lining UP with willy nilly! have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya...for stopping by and visiting.

      Delete
  29. Well I have taken up the challenge and will see over the weekend how many versions I can muster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you stop back and tell me about it....better yet, make a post about it all.

      Delete
  30. Personally I think it's pretty scary either way voting this time. It doesn't help when either candidate isn't likeable. Have never been able to stand Donald Trump - looking at his hair is as bad as looking at Boris Johnson's (maybe they can be hair twins). Anyway enough of politics - I hate talking about it!

    I love your pictures - very pretty. I love looking at flowers. They just make me feel a lot more relaxed.

    Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never judge someone's competence or lack of, by a hairdo!!
      Thanks Sharon for the photo compliment.

      Delete
  31. Very interesting to learn more about the cotton. I hope all your voting turns out OK in the end, it's all a bit of a nightmare at the moment, every day brings another twist. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no blog link on your profile!?!!

      Delete
  32. I like your musings on up! You are right about voting, I don't think it matters really which way you vote, other than to the person voting, the important thing is to get out and DO it! I like your new - probably not so, but I haven't been by recently for one reason or another - blog look, very nice! Thank you for joining Five On Friday, I hope you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, for the visit, the comments, and the hosting for Friday Amy.

      Delete
  33. As always a delightful post! Love that turquoise bill on the ruddy duck...they are so pretty! Now, cotton...I was born in Alabama, and my love for cotton abounds! Your photos are just awesome! I've taken a few good ones myself. I love the pink in the pollenated blossoms and have always wanted to do a cotton blossom quilt! I also love sorghum...not as pretty of a plant, but I love how the cane is crushed to make the syrup. We have cotton here in AZ too, as you know, which I was fascinated by when we moved here. I learned when we lived in Texas that there re actually colored cotton types and that too was fascinating! The color varieties just aren't grown very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never KNEW about colored cotton 'til now Marie!! Interesting.

      Delete
  34. The Up thing haf me chuckling :). I always thing of the different ways americans say things and our version, the English way, such as sidewalk/pavement Diapers/nappies ... Leah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I like Nappies vs. Diapers. Diapers sounds so coarse.

      Thanks Leah.

      Delete
  35. I really like the cotton photos, and the info. Thanks for the videos. I watched both and am glad that it's not my duty to vote in your elections. From here it is just all too confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pauline...thanks for stopping by. It's good to read that you enjoyed my post.

      Delete
  36. Thanks for sharing an interesting five this week! I have spent several hours watching all your video links and thinking about the various topics you presented. The ducks are so pretty! The politics are troubling, but the information in the videos was helpful. I enjoyed seeing cotton grow :) The roosters you saw are handsome. I wonder what you will be UP to this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Hope you're enjoying your camping trip.

      Delete

.