MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




1, 2-Read a Book. 3, 4-Close the Gate. 5, there is no 6. But Nature's Trix!!

ONE BATCH OF COOKIES

I did something I've NEVER done before. I made cookies...well, the 'part' I've not done is make cookies from a MIX! They were good, but nothing like homemade cookies....and if I ever do this kind again, I will NOT put the colored sugar, that comes with the mix, on them. Too sweet; does away with the light lemony taste. Just plain ol' lemon cookies. I may add a bit of lemon juice also to up the flavor!!! To be honest, I'd prefer this brand of fat free fudge brownies above all.


- - -

TWO BOOKS


Recently I read two books within a couple of days' time. One, an used book I found in the social study section of Half Price Books here in town. The title? Rutka's Notebook. It's a very short volume, about 60 pages long of the 'notebook' itself. Then, a few more pages of some background, history of finding the diary and the families' backgrounds...both of Rutka AND the friend who found the diary after WWII was over. Let me warn you, the diary itself is of a teenaged girl in Poland and the Holocaust. Her 'admission' to the Labor Camp and how she struggled with life as a young 14 year old and her immediate family. It's good, a quick read, some exceptional photos found and added, an incite to a teen's life in WWII torn Europe. But, nothing graphic or intense...



The 2nd book I read quickly [I couldn't put it down until it was finished!]. It's that good. Very, VERY enjoyable. And I'll let you in on a secret, I've had this book on my 'wish list' for decades!!! I started collecting books on the subject [mostly biographies] Gone With the Wind. I needed something written about Olivia de Havilland! No unauthorized biographies that I could ever find. This particular book is WRITTEN by Ms. de Havilland!!! Published in the early 1960s, finding it online to buy first editions...too expensive for my budget!! But, since "Melanie Wilkes" [Olivia] turned 100 this past month, Barnes and Nobel had it on their shelves to commemorate her being a young 100 years old. I snatched up one of the last two left.

And I hafta tell you right here and now, it's one of the most enjoyable reads to come along in a LONG time!! Witty, true to her style, filled with American AND French charm. All in all, excellent.

The book? Every Frenchman Has One. Tho a suggestive title to some, it's not what you think. And I won't tell you what every Frenchman has...you have to read for yourself. It's about a young star going from America to live in France with her two children and French husband. The twists comparing the two cultures, raising children, making movies in America, establishing herself as an American living in Paris. [By the way, she still resides in Paris!!]

I can't say enough good about this book. If you're of my generation, love movies, celebrities, you'll know who she is...you'll come to know her even better after you finish reading EVERY FRENCHMAN HAS ONE!!

_ _ _

THREE FLOWERS

When I buy plants/flowers I always think of my father's words. They resonate through my mind each and every time!! When I'd plant flowers wherever we lived he'd say to me "You can't eat flowers!" ...well, I'd prefer flowers to a veggie garden any o' time! I can go to a neighborhood farmers' market for homegrown fruits and vegetables without having to deal with insect infestation, late freezing temps after setting out tomatoes, fruit/vegetable eating critters, disking the soil each season, watering, and the heat! Once I plant a flower, it's there to stay, and I can sit back and watch it bloom and grow. And if it needs trimming, I've got Bud! lol I bought two new LIGHT PINK hibiscus bushes for the patio. And, I almost lost them.  So, my gardening logic posted just prior to this...well, you can scratch my thoughts for the moment!   In this Texas Summer Inferno, the full sun glaring down on them from about 9 a.m. to sunset, I watered them every day. Until I looked out one morning to see if they were blooming yet, and the leaves were turning yellow and some had fallen off overnight! I went out at first light to inspect, and it was then I realized the two new pots I purchased especially for them had no drainage holes in the bottom. They were swimming in water by that time, and the malodorous skanky old sitting water was enough to sicken me as I quickly drained the stagnant water. Bud drilled holes in the pots, and the water drained..........and they are coming back to life [and blooming] albeit leaves close to the pot rim. In time, those too will come back.



pink in the middle is one of the two new plants

_ _ _

FOUR FENCE VIEWS

These are of one of my favorite types of fencing...wrought iron. Seen through the lens, a gate entrance leaving a cemetery...a spray of flowers through the iron, the iron seen between tree trunks, and the close up pattern of the gate.




_ _ _

FIVE FAIRYTALE ELVES

While pulling out the vinca vine invasive trailings under one of our bougainvillea bushes the other day, I found all the miniature elves strategically placed here and there, I took them out and set them on our wooden patio benches. I have promised myself to clean them up some day soon. One needs to have his 'slingshot' replaced. In the meantime, they remain on the benches and I took photos...



- - -

NATURE'S TRIX
Yesterday, I spent most of the day watching the 5 hour repeat of the Republican National Convention on You Tube. So, not much got done. Early in the morning, tho, I took a break in the 'action', and drove to the beach for a short walk. As I left, I stopped just before a bridge 'cause of the bird activities in the channel. While there, I looked to the horizon, and above the homes' roof tops...in the sky, I saw a funnel cloud!! I quickly aimed to the heavens and snapped a photo. While back in my car, my smartphone alerted me a text message of a potential of tornadoes in my area!!  In order to GET home...I had to drive in the direction where the funnel cloud was seen by me!!  Once I got home, I read more of the alert and went out to the news, online. What I saw and photographed was a Waterspout!! These are actually a tornado over WATER! If making landfall of course, they could be dangerous and damaging.  Or if one is on the water, and boats/ships are out nearby...lord have mercy on them and their crafts.  But luckily, it dispersed back up into the cloud-cover before making it to the Bay's shore, and before I left the bird photo op. Here's my photo...





46 comments :

  1. Thanks for the book recommendation. That is one I'll have to read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad that water spout did not damage, the elves are adorable.. they look clean to me.. we have the pink and red hibiscus like yours but not the yellow. and i love yellow flowers.. daddy was like your daddy, no flowers, just food. we were desparate poor during 40's and 50's but we never went hungry a day in our lives. he grew everything we ate.. mother did have flowers in the 60's though, mostly hydrangeas and azaleas and jonquils. once in winter she wire pink plastic flowers to the dead bushes. we went for a visit and i looked out the window and said what is that blooming? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the depression and living through it made the generation before us more frugal.

      Delete
  3. Your waterspout photo is excellent and terrifying!! So glad you are alright! Tomorrow we will start a four or five day heatwave, I do not look forward to it! Your yellow hibiscus is my favorite. I cannot believe how they recovered!! Even with waterlogged roots. The elves are so cute! Had you placed them there years ago? The books look very interesting! I had no idea that Olivia had married a Frenchman and lived there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about the threat of a heatwave. Hope you can stay cool.
      Ya, we put them out over 10 years ago...but I clean out beneath that bougainvillea bush often. This time around I brought them out to clean 'em a bit.

      Delete
  4. The cookies looks good enough to eat,flowers are gorgeous and that funnel cloud is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth...I have leftover cookies....come on over!!

      Delete
  5. O, love the cookie! Lekker! Never seen a waterspout. O and the fences are beautiful. I like such fences. Pink flower is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted a pink hibiscus but could never find 'em til this season. So, had to buy two to compensate for all the times I looked for 'em.

      Thanks Jedidja

      Delete
  6. WE used to love Archway Lemon Cookies. Just the right amount of icing and flavor not too sweet. We have a hard time finding them now.
    You can't eat flowers...your dad was a no nonsense kinda guy.
    My goodness what a rare capture of the funnel cloud.
    Hugs Madi and Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd much prefer cookies sans frosting!! Now on the other hand, fudge frosting on fudgy brownies...that's a whole 'nother thing.

      Delete
  7. Six, Sounds like someone had a real good time. Appreciate you sharing some of the moments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your visit Martin.

      Delete
  8. You can have cookies and I'll just have cantaloupe today. (I drowned my beautiful flowers in Henry but they're coming back. ALL the petals fell off. Lesson learned.) Scary fairies and awesome funnel cloud. You DO get around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to the store this morning....guess what I brought home....a couple of cantaloupes. Wishing I could find a fruit stand on the road somewhere nearby where they're selling home grown melons!!

      Delete
  9. The cookies sound good. I've never made any from a mix.
    With that last picture we'll have to start calling you a storm chaser...lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never made cookies from a mix either, but I have made those brownies and I agree with you!
    The books look good - both of them.
    I like your elves - so cute!
    That water spout is amazing. You got a great shot, and I'm glad no one got hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for everything Mari.

      Delete
  11. Those lemon cookies would be my downfall! Lemon is my favorite flavor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like everything lemon.

      Delete
  12. Your elves are so cute and that water spout looks a little scary to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit concerned having to drive TOWARD that area to get back to town.

      Thanks Paula

      Delete
  13. Interesting gates and I also like cookies. Lemon bars are 2 die for. Well I know I wouldn't die for them.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  14. The most interesting book I have read recently is "The Mockingbird Next Door" by Marja Mills. It is a biography of Harper Lee. It is very good - a fascinating book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never interested in Harper Lee or "To Kill a Mockingbird"...but I have read good reviews of the book.

      Delete
  15. lemon cookies sound good. love the hibiscus. beautiful cemetery gate. and wow on the waterspout!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That funnel cloud is very SCARY! I'm glad it stayed over water...and that you got to photograph it. It might be the type thing you hope you never see again. I'll look for that book. I love this beautiful lady and named one of my dolls after here. I call her Mellie. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How ironic to have a doll named "Mellie". She too was one of my favorites in GWTW.

      Delete
  17. wrought iron is my favorite too...the cookies look good, i will have to try them, i love lemon! i try to keep easy mixes or fridge cookie dough on hand for the kids to have a quick dessert when i don't feel like messing with a lot! i love bios, that sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy enough recipe I can guarantee you.

      Delete
  18. Your cookies look really good. I love the gate photo. The books sound great. I'll look for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll enjoy the books Brenda, thanks!

      Delete
  19. {{{giggling}}} All I saw was the word cookies and the rest was white noise (the noise from Charlie Brown)---just teasing...thanks for the book reviews and I loveeeeeeee the elves...they look so charming...(and put them back! Don't want bad luck, do you? My husbands late grandmother use to have gnomes and she told us to never move them!lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they WILL go back someday when I can actually get out there without losing too much of my body fluids from this inferno.

      Delete
  20. You share some of the best things ever. I do not cook much anymore, but things home made cannot be beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...homemade can't be beat! Thanks LV

      Delete
  21. Love those flowers, Anni, and your little people are very cute.

    Amazing water spout shot!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...that w.spout was a bit chilling to watch.

      Delete
  22. Oh, wow! That water spout would have scared me! The cookies look good - I've tried the Meyer Lemon squares mix and they were good, too. The book looks good - maybe I can find a copy. I love auto-biographies. Don't you love when you find something in the garden that you thought you lost? I'm still looking for a few things...mostly tools :) Your hibiscus are so pretty. Hope you have a good weekend and stay in the shade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you luck finding the book. It's well worth the search in my opinion. Thanks Karen.

      Delete
  23. What a great post. I love Lemon but I don't think I'd like the chunky sugar on the cookies.
    Both books sound really good. I just got through reading a great book that was about the Holocaust - It's fictional but I would recommend it. (The Sweetness of Forgetting by Kristin Harmel) - Your Hibiscus are beautiful. I've enjoyed the Yellow one my daughter gave me for May Day this year a lot.
    Nice fence shots and Cute Fairies. - Oh wow the Funnel cloud was so cool. You were lucky that you didn't run into it but actually got a photo of it to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either....that sugar spoiled the lemon flavor in my opinion. I'm with you on that.

      Thanks Ida.

      Delete

.