“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW





....Beach Continued

As my previous post ended with:

...short on step tally for my morning walk, I ended up back on another jetty at Packery Channel on NORTH Padre Island. Here, the currents are always a bit more menacing on certain days. I enjoy the salty air, the crackling of the waves hitting the huge boulders and watching the spray as the consistent motion ebbs and flows, jutting high, higher in the open air, then...recedes. At first I stopped to get some photos...IN FRONT of the breakers; occasionally requiring me to back up a bit so as not to get soaked. Then, it dawned on me..."Get BEHIND the wave Anni"



Black Clam Shells - Penshell Shell [according to websites, this penshell is "RARE"]


Gulls & Terns - Cormorant Flew into the Surf


Breaker on the Jetty Boulders - Curl


Receding Tide - Behind the Crashing Wave


Ringbilled Gull - Behind the Crashing Wave


The Beginning of the Wave - The End of the Wave


Middle of the Wave - The Peak before Receding


The Peak - The Spray Curl


Walking Back - Storm Clouds toward the Pier...Quickly burning Off



...and close to where I parked the car, remnants of Sand Castles:










Concluding my day  with photos taken at Packery Channel on NORTH Padre Island. But, first, bear with me Texas residents...I know you know this already...still, once again, for those who have been to or have heard of SOUTH Padre Island along the Texas Coast, NORTH Padre Island, where I live, is approximately one hundred ninety miles driving distance [about 120 miles as the crow flies] from Port Isabel, Texas and the southern tip of the barrier island [South Padre Island]. Padre Island is the largest of the Texas barrier islands and is the world's longest barrier island. I know there is some confusion with visitors here when I read comments left for me. It's NOT the same areas...so, hope this clears it up somewhat for those that have me and my hometown pictured differently when I mention Padre Island in my posts. If it helps, enlarge the map I provide here to see the span between where I am [NORTH P.I.] and the resort section of Padre Island.

28 comments :

  1. more awesome pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're awesome too Denise!!

      Delete
  2. Ah man!? I want to walk on the beach *sulk*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could feel the spray from those crashing waves. I better dry my hair before I leave for work or it will freeze when I leave for work....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol

      Nothing like frozen hair!

      Delete
  4. your photos are gorgeous and i love that pin shell. the waves look more like an ocean than the gulf. so beautiful i can smell the salt and here the crashing waves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At times the Gulf can be a bit treacherous.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous water shots indeed, Anni!! That's my favorite place to walk and listen to the roar of those waves!! I'm ready to build a sand castle, too!! Have a wonderful day and a wonderful new week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll watch and take photos of you building your castle!!

      Delete
  6. I haven't been to North Padre island since the 1970's. I remember it as kind of a wild and beautiful place. It looks like it still is.

    We used to go to South Padre for our beach vacations but have switched over to the red neck riviera of Alabama instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are houses all along the beach highway...you'd be amazed. But yet, still a bit more 'wild' land left.

      Delete
  7. Love the waves and surf pictures, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely series of photos and a good selection of birds too

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice, thank you for sharing this little piece of you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing shots and so fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...it's like the sea calls those of us on the shore.

      Delete
  11. I like seeing those crashing waves. You captured the movement very well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have thought of you so many times during this trip to Galveston! We found some black clam shells on the beach today. My sisters have asked me questions about the shells and birds and such and I always think, "Anni would know this!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I'm sure you and your sisters are having loads of fun.

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous beach shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always loved and explored the beach! The penshells weren't rare at all on the SC beach. There were many varieties and many were broken. There were also many calico and black scallop shells.This is a good site for shell ID. http://okeefes.org/Sunset_Beach_Shells/index.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I don't know why the web sites have this shell as 'rare'...we see 'em around here a lot too.

      Delete

.