my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


The Big Bang....in Theory.

Well, the new year started off with a BANG! Literally!! At midnight last night, the whole entire neighborhood was lighted with fireworks. It was kinda neat, even tho it disturbed my sleep, I was enthralled with the color spectrum in the night sky and the enthusiasm of 'ringing in the new year'! At last, 2016 is here. The last year of Obama's administration and the onset of MORE campaigning...ugh! What will lie in store for us Americans as the election comes closer by the month?!! I'm really, REALLY, not very impressed with the promise of the political views and 'runners' so far. But I won't get into politics.

There was a local news story with my TV station app yesterday that prompted Bud and I to hop in the car and take a short 30 mile drive on the island highway. It was reported that an estimated 60 foot [18.29 meters] long and 3 foot [.91 meters] wide cypress tree washed ashore near the pier on Mustang Island at Port Aransas. We left early. Now, here's the catch. I loaded the camera [digital] into the car and when we arrived, I turned it on to get some photos of the monstrous intruder of the beach....I looked through the viewfinder, and guess what? Message tells me the SD card isn't installed!!! I had taken photos of birds off the card and left it laying on the desk at home!!! Dang!!!   The cellphone was left home to recharge.  The year is off to a rip snorting start on that aspect also. That's the 2nd time I've done that. And I kick myself in the butt for being so brain dead.
 
Anni to Bud:  "Guess what?"
Bud:  "What?"
Anni:  "The camera is telling me the card wasn't inserted.  Again!!"
Bud:  "You're kidding me!!"
Anni:  "I kid you not."

Okay...so we got back in the car and drove to the ONE and ONLY drug store to buy a new card. I couldn't believe my ears when the cashier says a TWO Gigabyte card was $22.99 plus tax. Ummmmm, exCUSE me? I don't think so!! We then drove to the ONE and ONLY grocery store on the island, and behind the cigarette/tobacco counter I found the SD cards....the cashier told me an EIGHT gigabyte card was only $9.00 plus tax.

What's wrong with this picture? Thirteen dollars difference? And six gb more memory?  Needless to say, the extra card is gonna be stored in the car from this point forward so that won't happen again. No, I rarely carry my camera bag so that's out of the picture too. Car is best for this lame thinker. It'll be with me if I forget again.

After that fiasco, we drove back to the beach and I took a few pictures of the tree [I wish I could've been in the vicinity when it CAME ashore!!! Just to see the actual drifting to landfall].




A couple and their baby was there at the same time we were, so I got pictures with them included to show you the size of this tree....the man was about 6 foot tall [1.8 meters]!! I also tried getting the vehicle and building to compare the width/size. The last I read online through my app, the tree had been cut up and hauled away for furniture making etc. just minutes after we left.

- - -

Our Christmas holiday company returned home, the decorations are down and packed away. Everything is now again back to normal. It's always fun and beautiful to have all the sparkles and festivities and food along with the season, but always good to get things back to routine again also. Now, tomorrow, I will have MOUNTAINS of laundry to do. One of my least favorite chores.

I'll leave y'all with a grin for the day. A little TWIST to an old poem/prayer- - - -




fireworks image courtesy of Google Images

34 comments :

  1. Dear Anni, I wish you a wonderful New Year !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ela! Same sentiment to you and your family!

      Delete
  2. I wish you a happy new year Anni. I have never left my card at home, but it has happened to me that I leave the complete camera! :D

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've left cameras in hotels before too!!! Luckily, the staff was honest enough to keep it for me when I returned to retrieve it. Happy New Year to you too Mersad.

      Delete
  3. Ah, you've started my day and my New Year with the best belly laugh that I've had in ages!! Keep it up, Anni!!! And I do hope you have one hell of a new year -- camera in hand, of course!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...camera in hand, AND the card inserted. LOL

      Thanks Sylvia.

      Delete
  4. Annie - Happy 2016. Did that cypress still smell good even though it was waterlogged? Love those photos. I have forgotten to reinstall both my battery and my card when I'm hiking. Then, I have to carry the load of the camera without being able to take photos - a real bummer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should ask...that was one of the first things I did!!! Bent down in the root system and took a big whiff....yes, it had the cypress fragrance.

      I wasn't about to leave without a GOOD batch of photos if I could help it.

      Delete
  5. PS I love your Header

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Barb. And happy 2016 to you too.

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Anni!! What a huge log! I've packed up all my Christmas decorations too. It's nice to have it up for a while and even nicer to get it all packed up and out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Getting back to routine after a long holiday is good. Happy New Year to you too Florence.

      Delete
  7. Anni we are glad you bought a card...so we could see the pretty photos.
    Mom cackled at the poems.
    Happy New Year Hugs
    Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference in the two genders is amazing but true! And funny too.

      Happy New Year to you M&M

      Delete
  8. I love your poems. Also, I keep a cheap sd card in my wallet and it has come in handy both my own self and if I am somewhere where somebody needs one I just give it to them. And, I love the tree!! Where in the world would a cypress tree come from?

    Lastly, Have a Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I have forgotten my wallet before too. The car is the best choice. Never leave home without it.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a blast of way to welcome our new year! May happiness and joy greet you every single day all year long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following me the entire year last year and hope to see you often in 2016. Happy New Year to you Karen.

      Delete
  10. Now that poem is something to start the year with, reminding me how different the needs and wants of each gender really is! Happy New Year, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing you a good New Year. Keep on blogging and photographing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula....hope your year is starting well!!

      Delete
  12. That is a massive tree.I am sure glad you were able to resolve your dilemma about the SD card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was....like I posted; I wish I could've seen it drifting in the Gulf before it 'landed'.

      Delete
  13. :) I love this post! I agree with you on the politics section - not good.
    I have done the same with SD cards. It's so frustrating! That is one huge tree.
    Happy New Year to you and Bud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and happy new year to you and your loved ones Mari!

      Delete
  14. Sure hope 2016 is bright and full of good things. Looking forward in reading your blog.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I hope for the same with you Dora.

      Delete
  15. Pretty fireworks! I was asleep when the ball dropped. That is a huge tree, it reminds me of the trees on the beaches in Washington State. Your post reminds me I need to buy some new SD cards. May your New Year be filled with peace, love and joy! Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice fireworks. I don't know that I would be thrilled about being woken up since I have such a hard time sleeping any more.
    I have forgotten my SD card several times and I've also gone out, gotten one or two pictures and my battery has died.
    Love that poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't sleep soundly since my heart attack back in March of last year. I don't recall the phone's battery dying on me. YET!!!

      Delete
  17. Happy New Year!

    P.S. I never take my card out, I use a USB cord to get the pics off.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wise!!! And, happy new year to you!!

      Delete

.