my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Park Photos Galore!!

In my last post I mentioned that Bud and I were planning on driving to a new area for birding. Now, I must mention that this park we never knew existed, but have driven, oftentimes, through the town on our way to Victoria or Houston, Texas without stopping. The park is Lions Park, the town is Refugio [locoally pronounced Ruh FEAR ee oh - Spanish translation to English, "Refuge"...but, the proper way to say it in Spanish is Ruh FOO ee oh]. A small bit of historical value of the small town, it was a battleground site during the Texas Revolution of Texas Independence which you can read more about HERE!!

Okay, so on with the reason for driving there.  Lions Park.  From Corpus Christi, take the interstate highway 69, after crossing the Mission River, at the first traffic light, turn left heading toward the river.  The park entrance is just about two city blocks from the interstate....





Once the car was parked, and I got out to retrieve my camera and binoculars, I was hooked!! It was very impressive! The very large pond at the bottom of the hilly terraced and well maintained landscape was pretty. The hour we arrived, it was foggy and a chilly wind blew. But, before we left after the lunch hour, after spending about four hours traversing the trails, the sky turned blue and the birds became more active. But, I failed to mention the trees! The park grounds were heavily laden with trees. A dense wooded area, with winding paths, bridges, boardwalks, observation decks that jutted out over the river. Absolutely beautiful, serene, quiet and on this particular day, heavily populated with other birders that have traveled from as far as Louisiana to see the birds of Texas. A few license plates showed Quebec in Canada, Iowa, Minnesota, and other states far far away. But, I'm sure they didn't make the trip from their homes just for this park!!  

Several photos will follow.  I'm keeping them small for quicker loading; they can be enlarged for better viewing...













During the last two weeks, on the Texas Birding website, two rare birds were reported. Bud and I saw neither. Nor did anyone else. The Golden Crowned Warbler and a Flame Tanager [juvenile]. But, before leaving,  we spotted many other species. Cardinals, Phoebes, Mockingbirds, Anhingas, Ruby Crowned Warblers, Blue Gray Gnatcatcher, Kingbirds, Kestrels, Sparrows of many different subspecies, Doves, Vultures, Barred Owls [third photo -below-, hidden in tree!], Flycatchers, Wrens, and more. Also, several turtles.




I took an 'off the beaten path' at one point and headed on my own along a less traveled area...walked the entire length until the path ended and it came to an open meadow. At one point the trees were so dense and the canopy was so thick, the daylight diminished and an eerie feeling crept over me...but the inner thoughts didn't deter me from continuing...after a clearing showed up at the end of the path, I stopped. To my left what did I spy? A cemetery!!! I made a U turn and walked back the way I came. lol






Returning to the parking lot after a few hours touring the park grounds, I caught up with Bud who wandered off on his own, and we returned to the big tree where the owl was perched. The first time spotting it, its back was to me. Of course I took photos then; hoping this 2nd time with Bud it'd be turned toward the camera. It was....partially. I snapped more photos for my bird photography blog.

We will definitely return to this park. Hopefully, again, during the Spring Migration in March/April!!!

34 comments :

  1. such nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a lovely park and all your photos are beautiful, we have a park very similar to this here, called Emerson park.. could almost be the same park. it always amazes me that the places you visit and the plants and birds are almost identical to ours. we are in the same sub tropic zone and it shows...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed that too when you post your area.

      Delete
  3. If I had the time right now you'd be seeing our Minnesota plates there too! Looks like a marvelous place to tour, and hike but most of all catch some birds and take millions of lovely photos! Enjoy your visit, and most of all the journey getting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we had already been there but I will definitely return very soon!! Thanks Karen.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely park!! Terrific captures as always, Anni!! I hope your weekend is off to a great start andI hope you're enjoying good weather!! It's still gray and grumpy here in the northwest although we did have some sun yesterday!! I think I was giddy and giggling all day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To have so much grayness, I would be stir crazy, I'm sure. I do love the winters here for the most part. Well, you've lived in Texas, so you know just what I mean.

      Delete
  5. What a great place to explore and connect with nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...wishing I lived just down the road from this area so I could 'connect' each and every day!

      Delete
  6. Anni, such a lovely spot and you were well rewarded with photos and views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a spectacular outing. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

      Delete
  7. Lovely shots, Anni. But where are the lions?
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....asleep in the hay. lol

      Delete
  8. I could just feel your excitement over the 'new' park! Your photos are always amazing! I'm so surprised you haven't published a book yet! Or have you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never think I could actually sit down and write to have anything published in book form. But thanks for the encouraging words Linda.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a great park for us to visit too! We are going to Galveston tomorrow but maybe sometime soon we can take a drive to Refugio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The park itself is worth the trip. I can't say too much for the town tho. lol

      Delete
  10. As if you needed another wonderful birding spot! I am so jealous. This park looks just beautiful. We must have stopped there once (in the city, not the park) because as soon as I saw the name I knew how it was pronounced (and I don't speak Spanish). I do remember Victoria. Anyway -- lucky you. And thank you for hosting, again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a treasure, and a bit 'unknown' unless you live there.

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful park! You sure live in a pretty area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part it is pretty, but being a large city...there are places that pretty is NOT SO MUCH.

      Delete
  12. Very pretty park and there seem to be lots of different birds for avid watchers. Good exercise, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, I had no problems at all that day getting in my goal range for walking. And pretty birds singing to me as I traipsed around the park.

      Delete
  13. It's such a haunted looking place. It's beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely...that feeling crossed my soul too as I walked...especially after it opened to the meadow and lo and behold...a cemetery!

      Delete
  14. Such an out and about and around trip! You have the luxury of being able to walk through such wonderful scenery and the eye to capture some of it to share. Thank you for the great blog which is full of interesting and educational information with the accompaniment of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to know you enjoy these 'adventures' Ms. G

      Delete
  15. That is a truly beautiful park! I know you could kick yourself for not stopping there before. Great encounters, and awesome photos! I love the trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I never knew it was there 'til this past week....but now that we've 'found' it............

      Delete
  16. Feeling alive after seeing these pics
    http://shilpachandrasekheran.blogspot.in/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to know Shilpa

      Delete

.