“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Blue Skies, Smilin' at Me...

To begin, this is one of my favorite recent photos. The clear blue sky dappled with white clouds...all reflected on the pond:




It seems ages since I've been posting for Hootin' Anni's. I'm here today to report on what I've been doing the past week or two since last I published anything of significance. I'm still slowly working on a row or two a day on my sugar skull afghan....and by now, I seriously have doubt I'll finish it by Day of the Dead [Día de Muertos] -November 1st/2nd. Where I live, in south Texas with Old Mexico at our back door, there is a huge Mexican influence across the border in USA and our towns along the coast and other border states. And, besides, I really like the whole concept of celebrating the life of those that left us behind.

Then of course, there is Halloween. My favorite time of year for decorating. Yes, I like to decorate for Christmas too, but Halloween is time for fun, spooky, and downright witchiness. This year, the decorations are a bit scant around Anni's abode. I put out a partial amount of my witch collection, added some webbing and so far that is about all. I think I'll call it good. I did buy, from the dollar store, four solar pumpkin/jack-o-lantern outdoor stakes. But, I bought them with the intention of using them as 'candlesticks'. I don't know about you with your taper candle purchases, but most times with me, I find I need to either light the candles letting the wax drip in the candle holder or use some stuffing to make the candles sturdy and snug/tight. So, this time 'round I thought I'd use the webbing and add the solar lights for candles. Here is the result of two on our dining room table. No waxy mess to clean up, the lights remain illuminated without fire hazard all night...it's a win/win idea in my opinion. And a 'holiday' festive touch without any worries or no big cost breaker on any budget!!!



For birding trips, we've taken a couple of day trips while I've also taken several times-out to drive to the islands while Bud stayed home and did yard work, trimming, weeding, etc. As my bird photo blog title states "I'd Rather B Birdin'". And Bud knows that. So, he's content with letting me take some quiet time by myself and enjoy the outdoors in search for a migratory bird here and there. On my solo treks I've spotted a lot of warblers which always pleases me; they're so colorful!! And I always focus on birds perched on or near fences for Ms. T's Good Fences:


[top left to right] hummingbird, warbler, green heron, inca dove



The two birding trips we took together were 1] The Celebration of Flight in Calallen Texas!   While there, seeing hawks, owls and other birds of prey along with passerines, a family of javelinas shared the bird lime-light!!!  Not only a family of javelinas, but a baby as well!!! 




And,  2] was a day driving to Falfurrias Texas...seeing and getting photos of some wintering birds heading south such as the Western Tanager and others I posted photos of on my bird photo blog....here. They're very pretty, and unique birds. You don't know what you're missing unless you click on the link!!

In the interim of decorating, yard work, birding, and crocheting, I've also been working on eight more photos of different 'new' birds I've photographed and readying them for a new addition in a frame of eight...for my dining room collage walls.  I also bought the frame...ordered the prints online and will make a short drive to town to pick the photos up and place them in the appropriate sections and then get the frame mounted on the wall of my bird sanctuary room. Speaking of room...I'm running out of wall space. LOL

I've also been contemplating the master bedroom make-over.  So far, new curtains and a bed spread/comforter combo has been purchased.  Now it's to have a matching paint mixed for me and tearing off the wallpaper in the master bath to begin that project.  I'm waiting patiently for cooler weather so I can have the bedroom windows open for ventilation.  When will that be y'wonder?  Cooler air?  Only cool air is between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m.....after that it's climbing into the 80s real quick.  Sometimes still 90s. The humidity is finally dropping by leaps and bounds, but the warm air in the afternoon remains. At least it's a bit more tolerable.

87 comments :

  1. Remodeling is never an easy task.But start small and grow your project. Hope to see some before and after shots once you're done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, not any BIG remodel project...just a paint job and new accessories.

      Delete
  2. You have been busy, all right. I love the bird pictures and am not surprised that you are running out of wall space in your bird sanctuary! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and I'm sure Bud would put a halt to MORE bird photos anywhere else. rofl

      Delete
  3. Very interesting!
    Love the sky reflections!
    Have a great week!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Lea, you too have a great week.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you've been pretty busy, Anni.....I always enjoy your pictures of birds. But the water and sky reflection are really beautiful to greet me this Monday Morning! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a picture perfect mirror reflection *smiles*

    And since you're the Queen of Halloween, I'm anxiously awaiting your pictures with chilling decor...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did a walk through the house and photographed some of the witches lurking...will share with you soon. :-)

      Delete
  6. Ooh...that first photo made my little heart go pitter-patter. Love the reflections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me too, when I saw the reflection while out walking, I had to stop and put this into the memory card.

      Delete
  7. You DO keep busy! I have never seen live javelinas! I think they're cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and they can be MEAN too. Watch out.
      I try to keep busy....as do you I know.

      Delete
  8. I do agree with the others -- you DO indeed keep busy!! And I do look forward to your photos!! What fun!! I hope you have a great new week -- camera in hand, of course!!!! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such cute decorations. Keep plugging along on the afghan, before you know it you be finished!! Have a wonderful week and thank you for your visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the pep talk Cathy.

      Delete
  10. I am in awe of the Javelinas. have never seen them in real life but would love to. i have been there done that taking wallpaper off of both of our bathrooms. you have my condolences and well wishes.. solar lights make a lot of sense, no danger there..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I dread the idea of ripping out wallpaper....but it's been over 10 years, time for a change.

      Delete
  11. Blues skies smilin' at you...I'll say!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't believe Halloween will be upon us soon, hope you manage to get all your decorations finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am sure I won't complete the afghan in time, but the other stuff I'll put out will have to do for now. Thanks.

      Delete
  13. I love the first cloud/reflection picture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to see you here again - the reflection is fabulous. Love the idea of the dollar store lights instead of candles. And the birds, as always are wonderful. I know what you mean about running out of wall space - I do the same with my scenery and bird photos and the piano room walls are sagging, I'm sure - but I just have to frame them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....I seem to always make MORE room. But someday...there will be no space for more.

      Thanks JoAnn

      Delete
  15. I've never put my photos on the walls; they're all in albums on the book case. I told my husband I wanted to get one of those large digital frames to keep in the family room and put them all on there. Then I could watch them all on a slide show. Just a thought ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that sounds like one fantastic idea!!

      Delete
  16. Hi Anni
    You are one busy lady!! Your photos are gorgeous as always...you know we love your Halloween decorations.
    We are in the midst of some home and yard projects. Both too big for us to do.
    We entertained the idea of moving...but could not find anywhere we wanted to move so we are in the process of getting new windows and a few other outside house repairs...then in the spring we are having our master tub/shower replaced with a step in shower, painting and finally new carpet.

    We saw your comment on our blog and are glad you liked it. MOL/LOL Mom just sent you an email with a close up photo of the door stop.
    Hugs Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay...I'll check my email when I finish my blog visits M&M!!!

      Delete
  17. Very creative post and photos ~ You are one busy lady ~ Enjoy ~

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta keep busy....otherwise, retirement can be a bit boring.

      Delete
  18. No wonder you needed a blog break! We're getting ready to move our bedroom downstairs and shutting off the upstairs; lots of remodeling here as well.

    Good to see you. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqueline. It's not gonna be a whole BIG project....just getting rid of wallpaper and a new coat of paint with new bedding/curtains. And maybe new lampshades. Ya, I need to replace those since the shades now are purple.

      Delete
  19. The pond photo is very pretty. Always like your Halloween decorations. I'm wondering when there will be some weather I call cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know one thing, after this summer 'specially.....I'm all for dry clothes and no sweating. lol

      Delete
  20. Welcome back Anni! I enjoyed your photos - that blue sky shot is gorgeous and it made the song Blue Skies, run through my head. :)
    I never heard of a javelina before - learned something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a desert dweller....for the most part. And it's pronounced HA vah LEENa in case you're interested. LOL

      Delete
  21. Great javelin photos! And your bird shots too. Wonderful! I still have only ever seen javelinas in Texas while travelling here...not one in AZ yet! :-) I made a Day of the Dead quilt top (single bed size) for a charity that someone else in my Guild quilted, and when I showed it to my daughter she said "I want one!" She loves D of the D! So many projects, though--so little time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever been to the outdoor museum just outside Tucson!?!! They have 'em there...at least when we lived there. The only ones I saw outside of the museum were road kill.

      Delete
  22. Beautiful, great photos and interesting to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgitta!!! I'm happy you stopped by for a visit

      Delete
  23. welcome back my friend, love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thank you so much dear Denise.

      Delete
  24. HI AnniAwondeful post.Love the reflection first shots and your lovely crittters images

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, you make me feel lazy! LOL! I have so many projects (in my head) that I want to do, and absolutely none done with Mark's surgery this summer taking up most of my spare time. Now he has gone back to work and I have no excuse! I did decorate the front porch a bit...but it's embarrassingly sparse! Oh well..there's always Christmas! Have a great week, Anni! I hope it cools off for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recovering from surgery can put everything else 'on hold'....that I know. Yep, there's always Christmas.

      Delete
  26. Great shots Anni!
    Please drop by http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/10/poor-little-birdie.html to share and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sue, and have a wonderful week yourself.

      Delete
  27. Wonderful photos! The javelinas are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are known to be quite violent tho!!

      Delete
  28. I love the lake reflection, but the hummingbird is my favorite. When I see them, I think of my favorite grandfather who has long ago passed. It was his favorite bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was one of my mother's favorite birds also.

      Delete
  29. You have such a great variety of wildlife where you are. We havea roof full of Halloween stuff waiting to come down in a few weeks time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree....the wildlife seems to be never ending in Texas. Hope you share some of your Halloween with us.

      Delete
  30. Great photos and animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks so much Christian

      Delete
  31. sounds like you have been keeping yourself very busy. I like the idea of the solar lights in place of taper candles. I've always had the same problem so gave up using them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With cats and candles...in our home they're scary when lit.

      Delete
  32. Wow, you have been busy! I remember my friend who lived in AZ told me about rehabbing javalinas. Cute, but not as cute as those beautiful little hummers... Thank you for linking in Anni.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for hosting Michelle.

      Delete
  33. You actually have been kind of busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. some days, these days, just zip by without much accomplished at all.

      Delete
  34. Hi Anni, I've had blogging on the back burner for a while. Nice to stop by here and see your post. You have updated a lot since my last visit. Interesting post and neat pictures. Very nice new profile pic too! Thanks for sharing your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello John...it's great having you stop by again!! Thanks for the compliments and kind words!!

      Delete
  35. Yikes!! I didn't know the temperatures stay so warm even into October! I haven't done ant Halloween decorating yet but your candle alternative sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, for the most part, South Texas is mild. Summers are brutal tho. lol

      Delete
  36. the javelinas are neat! love the birds on the fences. the hummingbird on barbed wire is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  37. My gosh you stay busy don't you. - All your sweet birds on the fences were just great, the javelina's are so cool looking & that was a very pretty sky. - I still need to get my Halloween stuff out & up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, soon it will be Halloween. Thanks Ida

      Delete
  38. We don't have javelinas here. Love the birds, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for a post full of wonderful Autumn things!
    That charming Javelina family out for their meal is just darling.

    I am awaiting cooler temps here in So Cal too, 105 right now and I am only 30 miles inland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh...105 degrees? In October? Way too hot!!!

      Delete
  40. Hello Anni, you have been busy! I would rather be birding than doing housework. Wonderful collection of birds and the javalinas are cool critters. Great sightings. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Eileen....you and me both when it comes to birding!!!

      Delete
  41. On one trip to southern Arizona we were eating breakfast in a small town cafe and it was filled with javelina hunters. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in AZ for a decade after we retired, I know javelinas are a 'big' item for hunting season.

      Delete
  42. That first photo is stunning. I love the reflection. I know what you mean about the heat - it's still really, really warm here on the MS Gulf Coast. Today when I went to get in the car, it said it was 90 outside. But the humidity is disappearing...which I'm not sad about. I'm ready for the cooler weather because that means the husband will finally be able to get some projects going - like building our headboard and bedframe. And so many other things. It's just been too hot.

    Thank you for joining us for Photo Friday!

    ReplyDelete

.