“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Nature...Skywatching, Trekking the Trails....Crocheting

All my spare moments when I'm not out birding or walking or reading, cleaning or cooking, I've been online searching. I finally found what I've been looking for.  Tho,  to be honest, it helped a LOT when I finally wrote exactly what I was in search of instead of using incorrect wording for Google...There's a new project for me to keep me busy when we're home!! I'll probably be absent for the most part 'til I'm done...or the project gets tossed in the garbage. LOL I found a cross stitch pattern for a sugar skull [day of the dead] and I'm gonna try and convert it into crochet stitches and make an afghan from it. If I am successful in converting this to a crochet pattern, I plan on adding a bit of flourish to it. Of course, I've had visions of changing patterns before with some projects like this and they didn't turn out. All I can do is hope for the best. And not cry over spilled milk if it doesn't work out.

This past week, tho the clouds build up, and the rainfall has been all around us for the most part, yesterday we finally got some that actually hit our area. The crunchy brown grass and drought cracked soil breathed a sigh of relief. We need a lot more to be beneficial tho. And of course, with the blackened, overcast sky above, the humidity is torture!! We've been either cutting our bird walks and outdoor exercise to the bare minimum or walking in the malls. And I get tired of mall walking...boring!! How many times do I need to walk past the dozens of jewelry stores and shoe shops....Victoria's Secret doesn't appeal to me either. LOL So really, other than reading and doing very little in bird outings, we've been home lazing around.

I'm so ready for the FIRST cold front to move in and Autumn shows up at our front door!!!

In the meantime, take a walk with me. Two places. First we'll stop and walk through the woods to Pollywog Ponds. Hope you have waterproof shoes on...the grass in the pathway is laden with morning dew. We'll see egrets, the two ponds, wildflowers, warblers and lots of different trees along the way---



Later, after we have a cool icy glass of lemonade I brought along in the cooler, we'll stop at Hazel Bazemore Park and then traverse Charlie's Pasture. We'll walk along the river, drive the curvy park road, and view the wildlife. Bring your umbrella, it looks like rain on the horizon---




Now that it's cleared off a bit, did you happen to watch the sky? I saw a double rainbow---if you look closely!!  Look!! High above us...some double crested cormorants in a fly-over!!





Have a good month!!! It'll be a while before I return to blogging since I'll be charting and crocheting most of my 'free' time.  It will probably take up most of September.  I will post regularly, once each Saturday, at my birding photo blog if you'd care to drop by and say hello while I'm absent from Hootin' Anni's..

40 comments :

  1. Those are the skinniest rabbits I have ever seen. The land must be parched. I don't care for mall walking either but I do it when it is really hot because son can't stand the heat very well. I love Victoria's secret, it is my favorite sporting good store. Used to be better though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good blogcation and fun with your project, Anni. I love the look and the name of Pollywog Ponds. I have never seen a Jack Rabbit - those are great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will miss you but look forward to seeing your finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your project. We finally got some rain too after it raining all around us the last few days. Like your jackrabbits. We had several run ahead of us this morning while looking for the cows who were hiding out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, one skinny rabbit indeed!!! Yes, you will be missed, but I will be looking forward to seeing your latest project -- as always!! Stay cool, hope you get some rain soon and cooler temps!! It's even been extra warm in Oregon this year???? I'm ready for Fall!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great crochet challenge. Good luck and best wishes for sucessful completion! I love the crow on a fence shot but please tell me before you leave, WHAT is the round spiky ball?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a Wild Button Bush Ms. G!!!

      Delete
  7. I didn't have any shoes on so I just rolled my pant legs up for the walk through polliwog pond.
    I can't wait to see if your crochet vision turns out. I'm not good enough at crochet to try and do something that ambitious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sound like a pretty cool project. It been a while since I done any embroidery. Now I been crocheting a purple dish cloth, doing a half double crochet using back loops only.

    Well since I got my first grandchild on the way. Do end of March or first of April. I want to give my hand at making an Afghan and quilt which I haven't done either.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures. Hope your new project turns out better than expected.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Anni That rabbit looks more like a Hare with its long legs but I love ALL your photographs today some with very lovely reflections as well as a nice variety of critters. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Anni, I like images from around the pond and the name Pollywog is a cute name. Cute shots of the Hare. And lovely captures of the rainbow. I hope you days are cooler soon. Enjoy your crocheting. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are tackling what to me looks like a daunting task, but knowing you, you have a plan. That sugar skull will be a beauty. Will you be using beads entertwined?
    We are also stuck in no-rain-land. No spring rains, threatens daily, like today, overcast with mid to dark clouds, a spit here, a spit there. Time to do the Rain Dance! You know how??

    ReplyDelete
  13. ANNI YOU TAKE THE MOST AMAZING WILDLIFE AND NATURE SHOTS. NATIONAL GEO...NEEDS TO PUT YOU ON THEIR PHOTOGRAPHY STAFF.
    LOVE THE JACK RABBIT
    HUGS CECILIA AND MADI

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Anni, we need a way to share things from state to state. While it's too hot for you to do as much outdoors as you'd like, I have a space hater on and it's not supposed to get out of the 60s today. Add to that the waterlogged east and fires in the west. We could all be perfect if we could mix our climates.

    I love your photos, especially the rainbow. The rabbit reminds me of our cat, Marco; a big boy with lanky legs. :)

    Best of luck to you with making your crochet pattern. Share pictures after your success!

    ReplyDelete
  15. neat jack! i saw 2 here only once in 13 yrs, down the road a ways. i really think they're rare here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All very beautiful photos ~ do love the Jack Rabbit!

    Happy Weekend to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a good break! That is a fine pair of ears!

    Cheers - Stewart Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos! And wow on the cormorants flying in formation!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is always so nice to fill our eyes with greenery.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember seeing jackrabbits on some trips out west, Anni. Such whacky looking critters!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a wonderful collection.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great photos!
    My favorite is the Jack Rabbit
    Have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
  23. A really great display of wildlife and nature images. I hope your week is off to a great start. Thanks so much for linking in with "Through My Lens".

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such lovely shots. Love those big rabbit ears!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great views, lovely nature, nice pictures. I always am so glad when I see a rainbow, just beautiful!
    Visiting from "Through my lens".
    Greetings, Hilde
    http://stapjesonderweg.blogspot.be/2015/09/white-city-in-alpujarra.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cute shots especially of the rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Best of luck with your new project. Hopefully the air will be cooler soon so you can resume your walking.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I found a pendant you might like! http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/h207537jd

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good luck with the crochet project, beautiful photos of your walk, I especially like the hare.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the walks. They were very pleasant and peaceful. I like the colors of the sugar. I can see them in an afghan. Enjoy!
    Take 25 to Hollister

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for a treally interesting blog. My first visit, but not my last. Love the shots you took on your walk. Amazed at you rabbit. They are so different from ours. Looks more like one of our hares. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So this is a Jack Rabbit! Have heard of them but never seen one, they are more like the hares I see here. Great fence shot with Crackle, and love your rainbow sky captures.

    ReplyDelete
  33. thanks for the fence link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Double rainbow is lucky. Sure you will have that cold front soon!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  35. This was a nice pleasant post. - I enjoyed the lovely photos of Pollywog Pond (fun name) the cool Jack Rabbit. Have you ever tried to catch one? I tried as a teenager and man those things are fast!!!
    Nice shot of the bird on the fence and what a pretty rainbow. - Sounds like you have a fun project to work on. It will be neat to see it when you finish it up so do share.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I enjoyed your post Anni the walks and images and I have not seen such skinny Jack rabbits neither.

    May the weather cool off. I got stung by a wasp so I am not going out walking till it gets cooler.

    Those bites are not nice. I did managed to get stinger out but the after math is painful for 2 days but good old tooth paste it leaves a relaxed cooling as a medication. So today it is bearable to type..

    ReplyDelete
  37. Glad the outdoors appeals to you as you captures some very nice sights. I am not a mall person either.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Absolutely amazing photos of the rainbows. And I especially like the photos of the jackrabbit! The don't have them here in IN. Have a wonderful weekend! I do enjoy your posts!!!

    ReplyDelete

.