“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Must Be the Season of the Witch

We haven't been home much over the holiday weekend!! Sorry, I didn't allow myself to be online to visit with anyone this time 'round except for my hosting I'd Rather B Birdin' over the weekend. We have been on a witch hunt!! Birding. Shopping. Country drives. To parks. Dining out. Our favorite local book store had a Labor Day Weekend sale with 20% off everything in the store! A lot of 'this and that'. The traffic in town was horrendous. I thought surely most would be on the beach taking in the hot days and the last 'holiday' of the summer, splashing & soaking in the salt laden waters. But, if they were, you wouldn't have known. Seems like everyone was out on the highways instead. While driving the inner freeways here, two major accidents occurred...we usually try and stay on the outer lane just for that reason...if something like this happens we're not 'locked' in the other lanes without any exit ramp access. One we were caught in, the freeway was closed for over an hour...a rollover, and one vehicle involved was carrying nails and screws!! Literally littered with hazardous debris. And the off ramp, since they closed down the freeway, was a good hour exiting to get OFF! I don't know if there were any fatalities...hope not.

While I was waiting for Bud to get dressed to go out for the day, I sat at the patio bench and watched our humming birds!!


We went birding and spotted quite a few hawks early one morning. They were kind enough to pose for us, too, which I enjoyed and got plenty of photos. Instead of flying high above in the sky and trying to follow their movements with the camera lens, most were perched high atop the trees. Birds spotted over the long weekend were, of course, the ruby throated hummingbirds, swainson's hawks, cooper's hawks, yellow billed cuckoos, green herons, belted kingfishers, egrets, ibis, kingbirds, sparrows, doves, flycatchers, woodpeckers, grackles, stilts, moorhens, ducks, geese, mockingbirds, cardinals, a few migrant warblers, etc. etc.

Anyway, back to the witch hunt. I've added four new ones to my collection...

This one is my favorite find!  The old crinkled bloodshot face, thinned hair, and her gown in black velvet, with a bustle in back.  Her hat is trimmed in black lace and decorated with a silver spider.

This one looks a bit "Bohemian" to me.  She's decked out in a silver taffeta gown with black underskirt trimmed with tatted black lace.  Her shawl/scarf is black and silver lace, she's carrying a basket of apples.

This one is green and hot pink with touches of black and purple.  Her broach is gold 'jeweled'.  Her hat is black with ribbons & veiled.  She is carrying a bird cage...with a black crow.

This last new one is decked out in black and orange, lace and satin.  A pointed witch hat with voile.  She is holding a book of Potions and Spells.


 

My recent read is one book I have had on my smartphone's book list for nearly a year! I finally found it at Half Price Books over the weekend. And I'm enjoying it. "Becoming Josephine" by Webb. A fact based novel of Napoleon Bonaparte's wife, Josephine. I've only read about three chapters so far, it follows history to a 't' and a very enjoyable, swift moving piece of work. I can't wait 'til it gets to the part where she is 'wooed' by Napoleon. :-)



That's about it for the day. Oh, one more thing. If you're an NCIS fan, you know all about GIBBS' rules. Today, I was happy to oblige!!! I was out on the salt flats on Mustang Island, birding, early this morning. I noticed a sea gull under the walkway, panting and acting injured. I kept walking...then it dawned on me that this is NOT nesting season, it wasn't trying to divert my attention...it needed help. I turned back and when I did, I saw that its wing was tangled in fishing line. This is NOT an area for fishing...but somehow the fishing line and the gull was playing havoc on its wing. I lifted the line, pulling up the gull to the boardwalk. Now here comes the Gibbs' rule...rule #9...don't go anywhere without a knife!! I don't when I'm walking alone...and it came in handy!! I pulled it out of my pocket, cut the line and the gull flapped its wings, still panting...realized it was freed...looked back to me as if to say thanks and flew off. Bud was at the cotillion in the shade, watching me with his binoculars....he met me at the end of the trail as I neared him and the parking lot and was all smiles. He said to me "You saved Jonathon Livingston!" Remember, rule #9!!!!

47 comments :

  1. "Jonathan Livingston . . .'---love it! And the gull loves you! Good job!
    I tend to get in a civil war rut when reading and your recommendation sounds like a good diversion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too enjoy reading Civil War....a favorite subject for me.

      Delete
  2. Hello Anni, I love the sweet hummers. I will be sorry to see them leave here for the season. Your witch collection is awesome. And thank you for saving the gull, the fishing lines left around are awful for the wildlife. Have a happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a couple of years, previously, we had one female stay here year 'round. I don't know why...but this Spring they all left...to return now. I really enjoy watching them at the feeders. Yes, you'd think humans would be more aware of the hazards of fishing tackle. But, no!!! Thanks Eileen.

      Delete
  3. Good job saving the gull. You have quite a collection of witches. Will be time to put them out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they'll be out and all over the house come Oct. 1st. lol
      Thanks Paula

      Delete
  4. You take such great bird shots - so pretty!
    Bob is a huge NCIS fan. He has the day off, so I asked him about rule #9, and he knew it was the knife rule. I recounted your story, ad he says "atta girl Anni!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...to you AND Bob!!!

      Delete
  5. As always, your captures for the day do take my breath away, Anni!!! Thanks for the information regarding "Becoming Josephine", it does sound like my kind of book and I'm going to pick up a copy tomorrow. Look forward to reading it! Oh, and you do have a great collection of witches!!! Hope you have a fun week as you always seem to have!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll enjoy the book a lot. Do tell me your take on it if you decide to read it also! I'd be interested in your thoughts.

      Thanks Sylvia.

      Delete
  6. Awww, such a wonderful bird rescue story, Anni......that bird should be very grateful that you watch NCIS, as do I. But I forgot the knife rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet now you'll remember. LOL

      Delete
  7. Wonderful pictures of your hummers. I have that very same feeder. Ours have already left for warmer parts. So glad you were able to save Jonathan! Yes, I know Gibbs Rule #9 too. A N D tonight is my night for watching NCIS - I don't even care if it's a re-run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha!! Another Gibbs fan. Cool.

      Delete
  8. Then humming birds are just beautiful!!! Thank you! They are one of my favorite birds!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my, I haven't thought of Jonathon Livingston Seagull in ages. Good for you saving him from that fishing line.
    Love all those hummingbird shots. They are so pretty.
    Your new witches are pretty awesome too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That probably ages us to even think of Jonathon, right? Thanks Ann.

      Delete
  10. Good for you in remembering Gibb's Rules!! Lucky bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as we watch those programs we know it all by heart. rofl

      Delete
  11. A freeway with nails and screws all over; ow, my tires!

    Your hummingbird photos are wonderful! I love watching them. They’re like a cross between a bird and a large bee to watch them fly in the flowers.

    Great finds on your witch hunt. The one with the green in her gown is very elegant! (yes, and I like green! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'a cross between a bird and a bee'....indeed. And to be honest, some bees are LARGE in Texas. Excellent reference.

      I instantly liked the ol' gal with the green also. :-)

      Delete
  12. The witch sure looks scary. Now am reading a YA book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they're meant to be a bit scary...but fun to collect.

      Delete
  13. Love the Hummingbird shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did well Anni. Saving that gull from a near certain death. I'll try to remember number 9 too. take it easy on those highways - me I like to stay on the inside just in case i can pull over for a birdy.

    Great hummer shots. See you at weekend Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil!! Yes, it was so hot at the salt flats, it was dying in the heat...not to mention the stress and struggles.

      Delete
  15. Your hummer photos are phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Witch hunter, biography reader, ummingbird photographer .... And best of all you saved a Gull! Super Annie to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  17. First of all, your hummer shots are STUNNING! Really wonderful! Secondly, I was intrigued by the book about Josephine. When I was pretty young I fell in love with the story of Desiree and Napoleon, and loved both the movie Desiree and the book. I have always looked at Josephine as a "second best" choice for him since his love married Bernadotte and became Princess of Denmark. I could be wrong though. Great job helping that gull! Your Gibb's Rule cracked me up! We used to be avid NCIS watchers and for some reason stopped, but I still think it's a great show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tho she [Josephine] was a bit of a harlot in so many ways...she and Napoleon's life has been interesting to read about for me. I think Desiree became Queen of Sweden...I could be wrong on that tho. Thanks Marie

      Delete
  18. Great story! I don't carry a knife but I have a little pair of scissors in the car. Very handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....another 'come in handy' to have for emergency times.

      Delete
  19. Good for you carrying that knife and taking care of the bird. I always carry a knife. Another rule I have is to always carry a dog water bowl. You can't believe the number of idiots that don't provide water for their dogs when out on a walk or run. Lots of water fountains but no way to give their dogs a drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you!!! These days, when you speak of idiots, there are far too many. Just this past three weeks, we have had infant deaths and dog's expiring while LEFT in CARS during the hot hours of the day. It's unbelievable!!

      Delete
  20. YOU KNOW I LOVE THE HUMMERS!! OURS ARE STILL HERE BUT NEXT WEEK'S EVENING TEMPS IN THE 50'S MIGHT SEND THEM SOUTH.
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
  21. you have hummingbirds at your house. You are so lucky. Gorgeous images :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous shots of the hummers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes! Jonathan Livingston. They are aLL Jonathan Livingstone. On 'my' beach too. Which reminds me, I must send you a piccie of my new beach and soon to be home...
    And when you said Witch Hunt, I didn't think you'd ReaLLY be on a Witch Hunt. You are precious! Halloween coming up. I should have guessed, my ghoulish friend. Kiss. Kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  24. beautiful hummingbird shots!

    ReplyDelete

.