MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




The Heat is ON!!!

There were 5 days in a row with heat advisories this week. I've been staying indoors past the hour of 10 a.m. And, I must add, I'm getting tired of using my stationary bike and reading. LOL I wanna be outdoors more, walking, birding, enjoying the air.  Sure, I'm getting the exercise and burning calories, counting the bike activity with my phone app and getting up to near 5 to 7 miles a day.  I started reading the one 'new' book I found at Half Price Books. "Wesley The Owl". I tellya, I seriously did NOT want to put the book down. I'm an animal lover for the most part...to be honest, there are slithery animals that are not included here...like snakes...but Wesley? . . . He's a Barn Owl. This is a story that'll make you laugh, giggle out loud, expand your curiosity, cry, bawl, turn the next page and fall in love with him!! Stacey O'Brien, the author, tells the story. But Wesley is the character that will melt your soul with a literate affection that will astound you. His intelligence is beyond amazing. You'll find yourself, shocked, sometimes horrified by detail, yet...enjoying the humor.  But at the end, a warning:   the tears flow down your face and onto the book. The mutual devotion and relationship of the two, Stacey and Wesley, is like a love story of the ages. Filled with intrigue, suspense, buffoonery of words/reactions, passion...an affair of the hearts. Yes, I say hearts - as in plural - both the caretaker's and the bird's.  WESLEY the OWL is unforgettable.  WESLEY the OWL will leave you filled with awe.  WESLEY the OWL will put an indelible mark in your life.

The other book I found and bought the same day is Imperial Dreams.  I have been looking for an older published book in the birding section of the store, The Ghost Birds, that Marie mentioned to me a few weeks back. This book, the Imperial Dreams, is about another species thought to be extinct [or very rare]...in Old Mexico. The author, T. Gallagher, wrote another book I read last month and so enjoyed...about The Ivory Billed in our Southern states. But, I must admit, after reading and so enjoying the Wesley saga, finding another book that will be HALF as good just may be nigh-on to impossible right now.



- - -

It is so hot here that:

...I saw a dog chasing a cat, and they were both walking!

...The Jehovah Witnesses have stopped walking from door to door and are now telemarketing!

...My seat belt can be used as a branding iron!!


...I had a dozen chicks in the egg carton by the time I arrived home from the store!

...consider the wind chill factor today, and the temp makes it only 112 degrees.

...Today, I saw a squirrel fanning his nuts!!


- - -

Oh, I haven't been locked in the house all the time. We decided to drive to Padre Island [north!] and walk the beach one day. At least early enough before it became too hot to walk.


Two Black Skimmers along the shore...


A seagull high above the sand dunes...


Palm Trees against a cloudless sky near the residential area of Oso Bay...


- - -

As with the aforementioned book being a true story, I watched a newly, factually,  released movie this week! I found myself cheering for every small victory along the way, and saddened by the tragic tale of the Holocaust and wrongful Nazi's behavior with the lives of the Jewish people and their lifestyles.  The movie...based on a true story....WOMAN IN GOLD. This was a remarkable film. In short, Dame Helen Mirren once again shines with outstanding acting abilities, portraying an Austrian-born woman who immigrated to America ...the movie focusing on the historical, overwhelming, robbery of her family's fortune and material wealth by Hitler's Nazi party during World War II.  Marie, portrayed at the age of 82, and her young lawyer, fight a long battle against the modern Austrian government to reclaim what is rightfully hers....one in particular, the gold [real gold filigree] artwork, worth millions today, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I. [the Woman in Gold] -- Perhaps another Oscar nominee in the future?  At least, if not for movie, Ms. Mirren's talent should be recognized.  The movie was well-cast, the direction was nearly flawless, the historical value was priceless...the outcome brilliantly done.

image source


- - -

And to close my post for the day, I found this photo generator/editor online that promised me a bit of fun time. There are so many options. And it's free. You can save your pieces of work to your computer to send in emails, or post on a blog, etc. The first one, I uploaded a photo of my daughter and made this "Funny Face" clown. The second one...A ship in a bottle...from a shrimp boat sketch of mine:


Wanna play with some of your photos too? CLICK HERE

78 comments :

  1. The Black Skimmer shot is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ruth...there were several couples skimming about the shoreline that morning.

      Delete
  2. Love the photos...especially the skimmer, and of course the hot Texas jokes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been miserably hot/humid these days. I'm ready for Autumn. In more ways than one.

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes! I love your photos, too!! Love the Skimmer shot!! Awesome! So much beauty!! And hot Texas jokes -- we need the same ones for Oregon amazingly enough!! Over 100 degree days -- in a row!! Have a great weekend, Anni, stay cool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....in Oregon? 100 degrees....whoa!!!

      Delete
  4. I got a kick out of the hot jokes. The heat is bothering me so much this year. The little clown is sooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's a far cry from last May...but yes, the heat is bothersome indeed.

      Delete
  5. I am here in Kentucky, and it is much the same. Too hot to do anything. Plus, storms at the drop of a hat. Too much heat and too much rain. No fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you will share, I'll gladly take some of that rain of yours!!!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the fun link. I'll take a look for sure! Great photos and I love the one-liners! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just reserved the Owl book at my library and am looking forward to it. I also loved Helen Mirren in that movie! We are also hot, but not as hot as you. I am still melting like the Wicked Witch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like Wesley as much as I did!!! Try and stay cool.

      Delete
  8. We will probably see that movie, it looks interesting. The book about the owl looks charming as you described it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...rhanks Terra...I'm happy to have you visit!!

      Delete
  9. Danged, I guess I am going to have to read the owl book. It sounds great.
    It has been hot here. I ran on Turkey Mountain last night, five miles but I pretty much walked the last mile. I got a bee sting right on my spine at about mile four, and then another bite a little while later. So I started feeling funny all over so I walked. A shower and a couple beers I was fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The icy beer sounds delicious as does a shower during this heat wave. Yep, I think you'll enjoy the book.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you got out even if just a little! You got great photos.
    It's been hot for us too. Yesterday we hit 90 for the first time since 2013. It's been very humid too.
    I'm going to check out that photo site - sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewwww, that is way too hot for your area!! Does this heat wave make you want the icy winter tho? Probably not.

      Delete
  11. thanks for making me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear one...you make me smile each time you stop by.

      Delete
  12. What a fun and newsy post!!! I loved it all!!! I imagin it is very hard for you to be inside so much. The heat is intense and can be a killer. When I had Lucy at the feed store this evening to get her shots, the vet warned us not to let our dogs out for more than a couple of minutes to do their business. She said one dog had a heat stroke last Thursday right there at the feed store while they were waiting in line. Only 31 days and a wake up to September 1st!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, that is scary to have a dog suffer so in the inferno...
      September can't come fast enough. At least that's how I feel now. When September arrives, I'm sure I'll say something like this year is going all too fast.

      Delete
  13. That book sound so good. A book that makes me laugh, giggle out loud, expand your curiosity.... hmm...not sure that am game for the bawling part. Have read quite a few of books featuring animals and most makes me cry :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crying part is still well worth reading.

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous shots! Over here it's rainy and cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy....I could go for some rainy and cool 'bout now!!

      Delete
  15. Sounds like even it was very hot you've had a terrific week Anni! :)
    Love the pictures frome the beach and the last one with your
    shrimpboat in a bottle. I'll go there myself, thanks for the tip :))

    Have a beautiful weekend!
    Möwe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you love to draw, so this editor I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

      Delete
  16. I've read the book Woman In Gold was based on, and I cried through a good deal of it; sentimental me, lol. Love the generator and I'm going to have a LOT of fun playing with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet...if the way things usually are, the book being better than the movie, well then, it musta been a super read.

      Delete
  17. Great shots, Anni!
    Hope you'll swing by http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/07/variations.html to share.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, Anni

    The owl book sounds interesting! It is supposed to be a little cooler or less humid today. You are doing great walking 5-7 daily. . I love the skimmer shot, awesome! Happy Friday, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is an excellent read Eileen. Thanks and happy weekend to you too.

      Delete
  19. Anni, I have to say it is a good time to be away from Texas! We are enjoying 70s in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed....that temp is perfect in New England!! Enjoy.

      Delete
  20. Your hot Texas jokes really made me smile, a great post. Hope it cools down a little for you so that you can get out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked promising earlier this morning...but as the title of this post states: Once again....the heat is ON!!

      Delete
  21. ...you remind me so much of my sister, with your love and knowledge of/for our winged friends.

    And I think I'll send you over a few of our 'degrees', then we should both reach a good medium *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no...you keep your hot temps....I'll suffer along with you tho...this heat is unbearable 'bout now. And I don't want any more degrees added. lol

      Winged Friends...I like that very much Ms. V

      Delete
  22. The weather here has been horrific as well; heat indices have been stuck between 105 and 110 degrees (awful!) I've only ridden three times this summer (usually it's every day or every other). Love the skimmer shot! I'll have to look for that movie - I really like Helen Mirren - it sounds like a winner. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the actual heat index is here....but yesterday it reached 101...in the shade!!!

      Delete
  23. Yes, with the humidity down there I'm sure you get great skies. We do sometimes, but we are anxious to come back your way in October. We love the coast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Sue...oh yes, you will enjoy her acting abilities in this...and the story is good.

      Delete
  24. I hope the heat cools down for you soon. Love the clown.
    Just to let you know that I will be on BBC Radio Ulster this Sunday 2 August between 2.00pm -3.00pm in a programme called “Time of our Lives”. I recorded it yesterday. If you miss it on Sunday, you can hear it on IPlayer Radio at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06447zw
    If you wish to hear my Irish voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt if I can get this site to load, but I WILL try!!

      Delete
  25. Oh you made me laugh with your post today with the funny bits! Wesley the owl sounds wonderful!!! Thank you for the film recommendation, I don't know if I will see it, but good to know it is good if I do! Helen Mirren is a very good actress isn't she. Hope that you get some cooler weather soon! Thank you so much as always for joining in. Remember there will be no fiving in August, but back in September! Hope that you have a great weekend and a great August too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy....and, have a wonderful break.

      Delete
  26. The Woman In Gold sounds awesome! I definitely want to see it! And I can't wait to read Wesley the Owl! I have added it to my book list! It reminds me of a book I read MANY years ago called Arnie the Darling Starling! I have never forgotten that awesome memoir. Thanks for the LINK! And loved your photos from Padre Island and your "heat funnies." :-) Thanks for going by to see my review on Magnolia. Have a great weekend! Hope you get some relief from the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  27. When you get a book that you really enjoy you hate to see it end. That one about the barn owl sounds good. I like your fun edits. I'll have to go check that out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll enjoy the photo editor.

      Delete
  28. The beach looks so lovely! We haven't been to the beach this summer - and we live less than a mile away - it's just too dang hot. We have had ugly heat advisories here too, which means lots and lots of time indoors.

    Thank you for joining us for Photo Friday again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's supposed to be very humid and hot once again...:::sigh:::

      Delete
  29. Anni, It sounds like you might be getting cabin fever because of the heat. I like those beach shots on Padre Island. I read Wessley - I enjoyed it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishin' 'bout now I was up there in Breckenridge!!!

      Delete
  30. Hi Anni, just stopping back to say thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU Eileen, for hosting.

      Delete
  31. Fabulous a Skimmer shot. Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great weekend too Margaret.

      Delete
  32. the skimmer shot is neat! laughed at the dozen chicks joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it's been hot in your area of Texas also.

      Thanks Ms. T

      Delete
  33. The squirrel has its way to attract you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your birdie pic. I've never been to North Padre Island, but did make it to South Padre a couple times. Had great luck fishing there.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there is an abundance of fishermen here on this island too. In fact, all over the coastal area.

      Delete
  35. Great photos. I loved reading WESLEY THE OWL too. The writer had a blog that I followed for a while, but she stopped posting as she had so many physical problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....the ending just broke my heart!!

      Delete
  36. You KNEW I'd check out the photo manipulation site! Kick me - I haven't been out of the cabin in 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you going to make something with your photos then? If so, share please!!!

      Delete
  37. Good Morning Anni!!
    Oh my word do I know what you mean about Wesley the Owl. I read and re-read it.
    We saw Woman in Gold...undoubtedly the best movie of the year.

    I am so ready for fall. You all stay cool
    Hugs madi and Mom
    PS I was poking around in the innards of my blog the other day.
    My hummingbird header went kaput..gone...vanished.
    So I was forced into updating my look. I guess it was time but I did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the new panda layout/template M&M!

      Delete
  38. Love the shots of the skimmers! My daughter read Wesley the Owl and loved it too. I MUST read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....I'm sure you'll like the book also.

      Delete
  39. I would like to see the movie...I used to read a lot of books about the holocaust, and I loved Dame Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is good in ALL genres and parts played in my opinion.

      Delete

.