“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Sunday, Sunday...


It's all about walking, birding, and exercising here of late. I have been getting up early to beat the heat and find from pre dawn in the yard, to heavenly cloud formations, it can change the day's perspective.

For instance:
---Silhouetted fence slats just before sunrise---

---to tree leaves pirouetting against the puffs of cotton clouds---
[notice a small trailing leaf/frond from the tree falling to the ground]





Bud and I  routinely go out early on Sunday morning for a long walk. This past weekend was no exception. Usually we head for Oso Bay or the islands, but this time, to be different, we walked the two mile stretch along the North Bay area. Part of the park is in the city limits of Corpus while the back stretch is in Portland, Texas [an adjoining town just over the causeway from our city]. Naturally it was a bit warm, but finally not QUITE as humid as it's been the last few weeks ...my weather app on the phone that particular morning was only 59% humidity, and the breeze coming off the bay was delightful. [I can't wait for drier air than that even. LOL]

Anyway, the two parks that are rolled into one...the Corpus side is Indian Point Park, while the continuation of the trail that reaches the Portland side is called Sunset Lakes. We usually drive to the Indian Point area and get out of the car and walk along the shore and the large fishing pier, then a short jaunt from there to the oyster beds birding platform.

After walking around this area, we take a short hike to the pools that are nearby.

We hop back in the car and drive to Portland along the freeway, then entering the Portland side of the park that has many MORE lakes/ponds/fresh water pools,  and we then walk the distance to the Corpus side and make an about face to return from where our walk originated on the Portland side. All in all about a two hour walk, stopping to photograph waterfowl, and climbing the observation platforms along the way. We meet joggers, bikers, hikers [both two legged and four legged family furbabies]. This past weekend, a whole slew of water birds greeted us. Plovers, Spoonbills, black skimmers, egrets, several types of herons, terns, sandpipers, vultures, willets, sea gulls, curlews, oystercatchers and more. Along with human fishermen/women vying for the catch of the day!!

On the way back home on the crosstown expressway after crossing the harbor bridge and port ship channel, we pulled off the freeway and stopped at a local city park. Bud's arthritis was acting up so he sat in the shade of a tree while I walked around the park. Very FEW birds seen. Cowbirds, martins, cardinals, starlings, mockingbirds and flycatchers mostly. I did hear a Great Kiskadee, but never saw it. [They are one of my all time favorite Texas birds!!...coppery wings, yellow breast, with a black and white striped crown...and their song heard is "Kissssss-k'-dee"]. If you'd like to see them, I have several different photos of the bird[s] on my birding blog.  You can hop over to I'd Rather B Birdin' and scroll down the contents menu found at the top of the posts...or... Just click HERE for one I share.  So, while there were very few birds seen, I ended up taking photos of the pathways hidden amongst the tree canopies.  It's a beautiful 'forest' in downtown!!  Dark, medieval, cool, green, and very dense in places.  Other than the bird life found here in different seasons, I also like the fact that all year long there is a variety of blossoms seen.  In the Spring, dazzling blues and yellows, in the Summer whites and pinks and purples, in the Fall, the bronze warm colors of changing leaves and flowers, while in winter you continue to have fiery reds and yellows.  Of course with green throughout, in different hues, from the smoky cypress to the lime greens of wildflower plants, and vines. Behind the male cardinal, there is another fence line...



[directly above...passion flower vine & blossom]

After getting back home, I began working on and finishing my 'newest' pencil sketch.  This time it's of the Common Loon. Seldom seen, but often heard calling its melancholy song from the hidden marshes, the loon is another striking water bird in its breeding plumage. I was lucky enough to spot one as it dived down for fish, and resurfaced along the downtown seawall one day before heading farther north for the summer months...

Beginning sketches--


Finished work:


96 comments :

  1. Glad you said it was a falling frond, I thought it was a 'Leapin' Lizard' Anni.... Why yes, I am chortling a bit. Okay, a lot.
    I find I'm walking more in order to get photos myself; I enjoy getting the pictures so much that I don't notice how much exercise I'm getting! Nothing to compare with your photos though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed your anniversary tour today Jacqueline!!!

      Leapin' Lizards....that cracks me up. Of course you always make me giggle. Not YOU...personally, but your wit.

      Delete
  2. Hello Anni, your sunrise is gorgeous. A lovely start to your day. The walks sounds nice and in great spots to see and hear the birds. Pretty shots of the Pelicans and the Cardinals. And your sketch is awesome. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Eileen. Yes, especially on this particular day....LOTS of birds at Indian Point/Sunset Lakes.

      Delete
  3. I wish I had just half your talent in the sketching department. How cool that you captured the falling leaf! Love the sunrise shot...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I didn't notice the 'leaf falling' until I took the image off the camera card when home. Thanks Rose.

      Delete
  4. ps....love that bird, also! It is gorgeous. I had never heard of it, or if I had have forgotten it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking....the bird....the kiskadee? It IS one of the prettiest ones here I think.

      Delete
  5. Oh that top shot is so pretty nice capture. Your cardinal is looking very proud of himself. I love your early sketches. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very smart to get out early for your walking and photo taking! I love early morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....for me too.....early morning is a perfect time of day. Thanks EG.

      Delete
  7. Your early morning walks are surely getting you some fascinating things to photograph, i think I'm exercising more too since I joined in with Good Fences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....get out there and snap away!!! While tallying up your daily steps.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your outing and bird sighting with us. You have some drawing talent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy those quiet Sunday morning walks. No one is out and about yet. Everything is quiet and you can hear the birds. My walk isn't nearly as scenie as yours, though. Enjoyed seeing the kiskadee and hearing it. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh....you got that right Betty!! A perfect time of day on a Sunday. Everyone is either at church, sleeping in, or just enjoying the day at home...and QUIET everywhere.

      Delete
  10. RE the little squirrel on my Time Stand Still blog...did you follow the link to Mama Squirrel...the first post does not show pictures of her, but if you scroll on down, you can see some of her. She was sure something and we still miss her. Now any squirrel I see around here, I wonder is it one of her children or grand children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did...I did read this from your link. So long ago, but still etched in memory. As I told you in the comment left on that post...I had one and named it Jim.

      Delete
  11. Great sunrise through the fence!
    Love the bird photos, too!
    We've had thunderstorms off and on for a couple of days - helps keep the temps down to high 80s. We haven't hit 100 yet this Summer, but we have come close.
    Have a great day!
    Lea
    Northeast Mississippi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...wishing it would RAIN here!! And the temp of 80 degrees sounds mighty good 'bout now.

      Delete
  12. I love early morning too! I know a temp of 80 degrees with breezes would be lovely..Beautiful sketch :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 80 degrees is still a shade too hot, but I'll take that with a sea breeze any o' day instead of Colorado winters. lol Thanks Lisa

      Delete
  13. Just reading this sounds like the perfect day for your Sunday walks. Your photos are beautiful as always and I love your newest sketch. Such a talent with your camera and pencil~
    Lovely bird shots and the pathways are great. Beautiful fence scene with the sun shining through.
    Stay cool~ up here in the north of Texas we are hitting triple digits all week.
    cm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewwwwwww, beyond 75 it starts getting miserable for me...now getting in the triple digits, I'd be like the wicked witch of the west....MELTING!!!

      Thanks Celestina

      Delete
  14. a lovely sketch, anni! pretty area with lots of tree growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lots of trees...so thick in some areas of the park you can't see through the canopy!!! Thanks Ms. T

      Delete
  15. Anni, I'm not good at drawing at all, so love your sketching. And that sunrise through the fence is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like the shot of the sun peeking through the fence

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love to get up early, more chances of getting better photos. Beautiful photos of trees and birds. You can sketch very well, they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are a talented lady indeed, Anni, and I do enjoy your blog, your drawings and your photos!! Such a lovely way to begin my day! Thank you as always for sharing the beauty of your world, your wonderful, artistic talent and your humor!! Hope your week is going well!! Enjoy every moment!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, your words are so sweet Sylvia!!! Thank you.

      Delete
  19. The photo of the sun is just amazing! And the cardinals are almost as bright! LOL! It is definitely best to get outside early these days. We are supposed to reach 101 this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed....miserable comes to mind about 9am if you're out and about. That 101 doesn't sound fun.

      Delete
  20. As always, lovely photos and descriptions! Artist extraordinaire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're always so kind with words Terri, thanks.

      Delete
  21. Such a beautifully puffy cloud...and the sunrise is amazing!!! Have a grand day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...happy to know you enjoyed this post today Cathy. Thanks.

      Delete
  22. Very pleasant way to spend your day. Neat shot of the fence and sunrise. I love big puffy clouds like those. - Some pretty birds, the red one really stands out and that Passion Flower is super cool looking. Your sketch is great, you are quite talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ida....the only thing about passion flower is ...it can become quite invasive if not kept under control.

      Delete
  23. What a beautiful shot of the sun peeping over the fence!!
    Of course we love your photos and latest drawings!!
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely forst shot and yes it is good to get out early in the morning. Love your sketchs

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anni, Just wanted to clarity for you about the comment on the Tent City for the firefighters. That is where all the fire fighters are staying now that are up in our local mountains battling a wild fire. The structure seen in the photo is the Gym at the college know as the Gold Dome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh....okay, thanks for dropping by to explain!!!

      Delete
  26. I'm envious of your energy. Both the text after your walks and your photo shots project your day so very well. BUT! the post afterwards is so informative and interesting that I've decided to let you be my eyes and ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay....but only from Texas.

      Delete
  27. All the years I spent sleeping in I never realized just how amazing early mornings are. I love it when I have the opportunity to sit out on the deck and watch the sun come up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ...the quiet, solitude, of the morning hours is so calming and watching the sun rise puts light into your day.

      Delete
  28. Delightful cloud puffs with a bird in it of course ~ Great shot!

    Happy Weekend coming to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mornings are the best! And love finding surprises when viewing a photo. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I always find beauty here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise...you've always been a charmer!!! Thanks.

      Delete
  31. Love your neck of the woods and LOVE the sketch! We are planning a trip down to Rockport, but not until October...when the heat has melted some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rockport is such a wonderful little fishing/art village!! And October is a perfect time of year!!! Thanks Sue.

      Delete
  32. What a wonderful morning it looks like too, great shot of it, and those clouds, gorgeous and enormous too. Your birds and well critters always please me too! Enjoy your evening!

    ReplyDelete
  33. A beautiful shot of the Passion flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. notice it's purple....one of my favorite colors...always eye candy for me too.

      Delete
  34. loons are so beautiful. I wish they were here in Pa., i love to hear them calling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too....their call is hauntingly beautiful!!!

      Delete
  35. Great set of pictures,including the drawing of the Loon.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Enjoyed the walk with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you came along Paula!!

      Delete
  37. I love that first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  38. love the photos thank you for sharing!!!! I miss Corpus more and more each day!!! recently I have been looking at my OLD pics from there (taken with a 1.2 mp camera) sometimes I just want to cry. Timing isn't right for us to move that way. Always enjoy. DO they still do MORF (sail boats) racing downtown? funny somebody made a comment to leaping lizard...I am not sure if it is still around, however in the bluff (flour bluff) used to be a little lounge called "leaping lizard" happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...funny you remember a lounge. I haven't been out and about for months!! I think I need to change that, soon!!

      Thanks Maryanne

      Delete
  39. Hello Anni,
    I just love what all you get to see on
    your walks :)
    My favourite picture is the one with
    the beautiful sky :))
    And I love your sketch of that duck(?)
    I guess it is one :)) Such fine details!

    Have a beautiful weekend!
    Tinna ✐

    ReplyDelete
  40. Here's a new reader for you Annie :)
    The old one tried fb and got her
    fingers burnt right away :))

    Have a beautiful day!
    Möwe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome....hope you enjoy following me. I'll surely enjoy your company when you visit!!!!

      Delete
  41. I love your captures of the Cardinal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks...Cardinals are so pretty any way....you can't go wrong with getting photos of that red!!!

      Delete
  42. Gorgeous photos! I love the cardinal and I love the passion flower. So nice!

    Thank you for joining us for Photo Friday this week! I appreciate the support!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wonderful pictures. Enjoyed seeing them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, glad you enjoyed this post.

      Delete
  44. Hi Anni, just stopping back to say thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen, for hosting saturday critters

      Delete
  45. Your loon is marvelous, Anni! I remember them fondly from the summers we spent in the Adirondack mtns of New York state. One of my favorite water birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too....love their vocalizations. Especially at sunrise or sunset when everything in the world is calm and quiet...and then, their calling from a distance.

      Thanks June

      Delete
  46. Your pencil sketch is beautiful. How talented you are my friend. We've been missing our walks here in Florida...it's HOT! lol We should get out early I guess! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's extremely hot here today too. I'm debating to go for a walk tomorrow. Maybe it'll be a day to spend our morning in the coolness of the mall instead.

      Thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  47. I love your cardinal pics. They're always hiding from me!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most times, they hide from me also...but I can hear them singing.

      Delete

.