“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Out with the old...in with the new

The OLD in part of my blog post title?

A fence...





...the new?
We're still working on the hall bathroom, but slowly. I managed to get all the nail holes patched yesterday and preparing the walls for a couple coats of paint. Bud worked on making the vanity light fixture framed in wood. I've taken time out a bit to do a few other things, including adding texture and finishing on 12 more bird photos to add to my BIRD Sanctuary [dining room walls].

The birds on the left [top/across to bottom] are: Stilt Sandpiper - Black Tern . . Red Breasted Merganser - American Oystercatcher . . Long-billed Thrasher & Chipping Sparrow. The frame on the right, the birds are [top/across to bottom]: Hooded Oriole - Yellow Billed Cuckoo . . Swainson's Thrush - Wood Thrush . . Alder Flycatcher (aka Willow Flycatcher) & Dunlin. With these newly finished frames and photos the walls are now covered with 114 birds we've seen. My total count of different birds seen and photographed in Texas is up to 215 I believe. It's been a while since I've worked on my record charting.

The other night I completed the book Killing Jesus, by Bill O'Reilly. I'm not usually much on non-fiction. I think it has a lot to do with hating history when I was school age and a lot of reading was mandatory. Now-a-days I associate the back index in non-fiction as 'homework'...ugh!!! So, I tend to steer clear of most. This book was an exceptional read. All the way through, from beginning to end. I enjoyed the novelistic form in which the book was composed....it was like I was there in those times in Judea and Galilee. With Pontius Pilate, the Romans, the Jews, the Disciples. I could even taste the bitter land of the desert, and was tormented by 'my' betrayer, Judas. The last few chapters were notes by the author on the deaths of all of the other Biblical names, such as John, Matthew, Peter, and both Marys. He also brought into notations, the religion quotes of previous presidents, and noteworthy people. Very good. I highly recommend this book.

My NEW read for the Summer will be Pioneer Girl [Laura Ingalls Wilder] - An autobiography that has been a best selling book for several months now. I understand that the book is hard to keep on the shelves in stores. The South Dakota Historical Society published this book...after finding Ms. Wilder's hand written biography, hidden for decades!!! It's promised to give the reader a personal incite of the days of Little House on the Prairie with a few surprises. By the way, the girl, Melissa Gilbert, who played Laura in the television series, was the spittin' image of Irene...our daughter when she was Melissa's (Half Pint) age. In fact, as Ms. Gilbert aged, the two could be sisters [Melissa and our daughter]. AND my father and grandfather lived in South Dakota. In fact, my grandfather traveled to Nebraska [as a young man] in a covered wagon...just like the TV program depicts. Back to the book. It was delivered to our house a couple of days ago, and I haven't cracked the cover yet. I will tonight, tho. I can't wait. I'm hoping that this will be as good as the one I just finished and keep my interest. Only time will tell.

For the "new" Summer season, while we were out in the back doing some yard work before sunrise and the heat of the 'furnace' kicked into high gear, I noticed my plant was blooming!!! Again. Yep, it's an old plant, but the blossoms are new! And if you follow me at any point along the last 6 years, you may remember that this flower blooms only at night. So, I ran back indoors and grabbed the cellphone to take a photo. It's so pretty, but sadly the flower only lasts the night...by midmorning the beauty is gone---shriveled 'til next year... [there ARE a few more buds coming on....if I remember I'll get more photos]


Epiphyllum




One more thing...Bud and I are still watching the mini-series Texas Rising. The 4th episode was aired on the 8th of this week, we watched it the next day online. I must admit, the longer you watch this series, the better it gets!! I'm awaiting anxiously for the last installment!!

68 comments :

  1. Ah, always love your posts and now I have a new book to look for and read!! I've been a fan of Laura Ingalls Wilder for a long time!! Hope your week is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too....I really enjoyed the L H Books and the program. I hope this book will give me a bit of the 'real' Laura Ingalls and Prairie life.

      Delete
  2. This is the first I've heard about Pioneer Girl!!! Louis Dean will be in hog heaven!!! She is his FAVORITE writer of all time and when he taught second grade for 25 years he was known as The Little House Teacher! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little House Teacher...I like that. 25 years of teaching, and that age...L D musta loved his work!!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Love your new profile image Jacqueline!!

      Delete
  4. When I first read out with the old in with the new, I thought you were speaking about me ;) This old girl here needs a new skeletal system. I will need to check and see if my daughter has that book yet. Happy week~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I'm sure you're no worse off than I am. You cracked me up Mary.

      Delete
  5. The night blooming flower is so pretty. Pioneer Girl sounds like a book I will want to read. Like your fence for today. Looks like some of John's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish the blossoms would last longer...at least an entire day. But, no...not happenin'!

      Delete
  6. Love the old fence shot! This book is new to me, sounds like a great read. Enjoy! Your flower is lovely. Have a happy day, stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen....we'll stay indoors a lot white the temps soar!

      Delete
  7. Love the old fence and that book sound like it could be a good read. Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the book will be a good one. It's big....heavy...so it's gonna take a bit of time to read through it, I'm sure

      Delete
  8. There seem to be many fences like that on old farms no longer in use. I'll have to track down that book. Enjoy your painting today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...still some more prep work needs to be done before we paint.

      Delete
  9. WOW! Working out in the yard BEFORE sunrise? I love your bird photos framed like that. Hmmm. I should do something like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this time of year, y'gotta get out and do the work outdoors....it's 6 a.m. and the temp now is 82 degrees. By noon it'll be nearing 100!

      Delete
  10. I'm intrigued by the book, Pioneer Girl, and have added it to my Goodreads list. I'm also intrigued by the television miniseries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, at first I didn't care for the mini-series, but was determined to keep watching each episode...they are MUCH better after the first two programs.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the book comments. I've been considering the O'Reilly.
    The night bloom is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book was very good in my opinion. Bud enjoyed Killing Patton [by the same author], so I was determined to read the one on Jesus. And the night bloom...the fragrance is indescribable too.

      Delete
  12. What a gorgeous flower, I'm happy you got a chance to see it bloom and get such a great shot of it! You are an early bird and wow working in the yard before daylight,impressive! I've got Killing Jesus on my list of books to read and now another one! Sounds like an interesting read. Neat how your daughter looked so much like Melissa Gilbert! Have a great day~
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...when the afternoon temps are nearing 100 degrees, working in the yard at such a god-awful hour in the morning is the only choice. Unless we hire someone...which we're contemplating these days. LOL

      Delete
  13. 215 different varieties in Texas alone? Well that is a great achievement. you are making such a neat bird sanctuary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, just within a 100 mile radius too!! "They" say Corpus Christi is the Birdiest City in USA. I believe it.

      Delete
  14. Old, new and a bit twisted on the lovely growth! I like that capture. There's a lot of stuff to learn and see around Minnesota of Laura too! A very great read, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Minnesota, Missouri, Iowa....a whole slew of country she covered in her life time.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the book recommendations. I'll skip O'Reilly's but will definitely order the Pioneer book from the library. And that flower is simply gorgeous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be good for the two of us!!

      Delete
  16. beautiful bloom! and such a graceful old fence post in that first shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like old fences...and very interesting about your daughter and Melissa Gilbert...also, where have I been? I did not/had not heard about her autobiography. Got to look for that.

    You give me hope for Texas Rising. I have them recorded but have had no interest in watching them. maybe we will give it a good try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, the last two episodes have been quite accurate [except for scenery] and I've enjoyed it now. Hope you will too.

      Delete
  18. Your old fence almost makes an "A" ... well it does make an "H", but that doesn't count for you or me. I did find another "A" which I will be posting on Weekend Reflection this week. As for your post, I am doing a lot of reading this summer as well ... I sit in my chair read a few minutes and fall asleep. This has been a rough summer so far and I am just plain tired.

    I love you bird sanctuary pictures and the idea of making it into a whole room is awesome. I can't wait to see the final project. You have seen a lot of birds in Texas. I think Texas must challenge Florida for being the place to go birding. As for your Night Flower, how beautiful and how lucky you were to catch it. Just think, you could oversleerp one morning and miss it for a whole year. Quite the challenge having it in your yard.

    It sounds to me like you are back on track and feeling well enough to be your busy self again. Glad to hear it, Annie ... Stay well!

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do hope the summer improves for you....hope it's nothing seriously wrong, Andrea!!

      I'm feeling quite well. There have been some days that weren't the best, but considering the alternative, I'm happy to still be here!

      Thanks my friend.

      Delete
  19. You have included a lot of great things in this post. I love the old fence and every chance I get, I am on the search for a good one! My pastor has spoken of this "Killing Jesus" book...he really liked it too. I have loved the stories of "Little House" since forever and I think it's really cool that you had a little "Half Pint" in your life! I was just watching re-runs on Hallmark yesterday :) Your bird photos are great...I am also always trying to better my bird photo skills...they can really be tricky to shoot. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to see you stop by Debby!! Yes, the book Killing Jesus was well written, and highly researched I think. I still like Little House myself!

      Delete
  20. i'll have to look for that book! does it center around her and almonzo in missouri? i've been to that house several times! i bet your dining room walls will look great with all those beautiful bird photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure....I haven't even begun to read the book yet.
      My daughter lives in Missouri, and she has been to one of the Ingalls/Wilder homes in her area. I'm wondering if it's the same house?

      Delete
  21. I love the fence in this picture and the flower is beautiful. I am so glad you got a picture of it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your profile link is a broken link.

      Delete
    2. Sorry I think I must have spelled it wrong. I fixed it.

      Delete
    3. no problem....I found you!!

      Delete
  22. great fence photo Anni.

    Your wall will be wonderful when done.

    How beautiful is that flower that blooms only at night.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anni, definitely an old fence. I've not read "killing Jesus" but it might be good to pick up for a summer read, as well as the South Dakota one. My hubby is from SD, and we have been to visit the Wilder home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it'd be a good read for the summer. What part of SD is your husband from? My ancestors & father from around the Columbia area.

      Delete
  24. Great fence shot. I like the curve of the wood holding the wire/fencing together.
    I haven't read either of the books you mentioned. They do sound interesting though.
    That flower is so pretty. How unusual that it only blooms at night.
    Loved your pretty bird photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the epiphyllum bloom on a 'regular' time schedule...this one just happens to be a night bloomer.

      Delete
  25. Neat looking old piece of wood tangled in the barbed wire fence. I bet your dinning room looks fabulous with all your bird photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen...on both accounts.

      Delete
  26. I think I have heard of the Pioneer book, and was going to look on my Kindle for it and forgot. Thanks for the refreshed memory! The other one- I haven't heard a single word about it and I have wondered if it was any good. I don't blame you for being out early- it hits the 80s about 8 o'lock in the morning here. Love your bird "sanctuaries".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it gets hot quickly here too!! Heck, it remains hot overnight...just gets hotter as the sun comes up.

      Delete
  27. Your bird pictures are always a treat and I really like the way you're displaying them.
    Thanks for the book review. That's not one I would pick up but it sounds interesting! I'd like the Pioneer Girl, hadn't heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was very interesting...such in depth research, like reading the bible in a way, but language much clearer.

      Delete
  28. Oh that book sounds like something I would love to read I am going to have to look for it. You have amazing history in your family as well. Love the old fence. B

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope that book is as good as it's reported to be. Sometimes when they play something up that big it tends to be a let down when you actually read it.
    That flower is really pretty. It's a shame it only lasts for one night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about books and all the hype. Thanks Ann

      Delete
  30. Another post full of good stuff for us! Book references, memories, photos.... loved it, Anni!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri. Glad you found time to stop by, I've been wondering about you, knowing you're probably very busy with work and all.

      Delete
  31. Oh, dear. Renovations.... Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hopefully by this weekend, the room will be done.

      Delete
  32. Good one. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...glad you enjoyed my post today

      Delete
  33. I love your post and pics..Thank you for the book recommendations too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's nice to have your positive feedback Lisa, thanks!

      Delete

.