“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





A Beautiful day....

Taking the camera and tripod out for a 'test spin', we drove to the causeway that traverses the Nueces Bay, between Corpus Christi and Portland Texas. Here, underneath the highway, is a rookery. You can get a very short glimpse of it from the bridge, but all too soon disappears for any photo ops. You have to get below the highway!! There is a round-about way of finding the area to park, and get a view of the rookery, but this time of year, it's a very busy place. Pelicans, terns, spoonbills, sea gulls, herons, and more are making use of the man-made nests atop stilted platforms, and the tall grasses and rocky shoreline. The only way to get to the small island that the birds use is by boat. I figured with the new zoom lens I could test myself with the very limited knowledge I have on using the camera. I got some photos, found some wee little herons on a few nests, but still the photos aren't quality and I need to return to the area and practice some more. LOL

After spending about an hour there in that area, we decided to just take a Sunday Drive. We took Navigation Highway that goes behind the ship channel on one side and the Nueces River on the other side. Being that it IS in the proximity of the ship channel, this highway has a lot of truck traffic during the week. On the weekend, especially early Sunday morning, it's usually pretty quiet. Not so on this particular day. Altho, the trucks were at a stand-still, the highway's shoulder was cab to trailer trucks!! We didn't stop and count 'em, but from the ship yard entrance....for about 4-5 miles it was all trucks! Waiting to empty their cargo on the ship/s.

At the last curve, before entering the interstate highway system, there is a pond with much foliage/tree cover. There, the wood storks had taken over. I counted about 30 wood storks. We pulled the car over, and I got out to get some photos of the storks in the tree-tops. Without the tripod, so again, the photos aren't of the clarity I'd want. I guess it'll be wise to take TWO cameras with me when out birding....one for use on the spur of the moment, and the other for photos that will take a lot of focusing at a far distance. Live and learn.

Anyway, part of our morning I share in photos:



Birds on a wire...purple martins [1 & 2] - Stars 'n' Stripes framed in tree branches
G B Heron flying away over pond - moon - Green Heron near pond's edge


Wind Turbines along the River Banks - Train Car [possibly transient home?]




Oil Refinery....exhaust from the refinery [enlarge and mind the outer glow of the exhaust] Hmmm.



At home....my mini-orchids of many colors

I thought I'd join in on Good Random Fun today.

32 comments :

  1. Wonderful wildlife sights. The industrial sights are interesting as well.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting shots, Anni. You're obviously in learning mode, trying this and that. I wondered if you messed with the colors in your orchids at home, since they all seem sort of "antique-y" to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no....just artificial lighting and 'yellow' hue in the room

      Delete
  3. Hello Anni, Love the birds and the moon images. The swallows are cute and the Green Heron is one of my favorites. Your orchids are beautiful! Have a happy day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was nice trip, especially when I was invited in to see your beautiful orchids. I especially like your train car picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful orchids! and shots of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful flower and bird photos! I've always thought it would be fun to have a train car in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your orchids are so beautiful! And I haven't seen a Green Heron this year so I am feeling a tad envious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anni, your orchid pictures are very pretty. I wonder what is inside that old train car? We have friends heading down to Port A for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love your pics for the day, Anni!!! Beautiful birds and gorgeous, colorful orchids!! Yep, I'm just a tad envious, too!! Hope you have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the shot of the train car and the refinery exhaust pictures are very cool

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great set of images.I really need to start using a tripod,but I often find it too cumbersome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That train car looks so interesting. Just like the ones I saw in the movies being chased by Red Indians. You live in a great place for birding Anni despite their being industry close. Birds don't always mind as long as they are left alone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are all stunning - so glad you linked up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the baby orchids! And the birds of course. Was surprised to learn you have wood storks. I thought they were pretty much just here in Florida? I'm glad they are doing well there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always enjoy your photos! The bird shots are always good, and I loved the flag and moon shot too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh I love the old tramcar - we don't see many here but they are lovely old things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like that old train car, I wonder what the story is behind it! Your nature photos are always so pleasing to see. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your orchids are so beautiful, it doesn't mean your other photos are not, because they are as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always like to see wind turbines because I only know of one around here. Wonder how they got that train car there or could there be old train tracks there?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely shots of the birds and your mini-orchids.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Always nice to see so many birds species on your travels. Love the Green Heron.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow you have random fun for sure. I love the clouds and gorgeous flowers
    Hugs Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  23. pretty orchids! that old train car is kind of neat. love the little martin bug-eaters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the orchids.
    And flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Quite a variety of images, love that green heron and of course the orchids.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting day out! Loved your photos! And the orchids were a beautiful thing to come home to!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lots of wildlife and flowers to see. I am conflicted about wind towers.. They kill so many birds and bats and there are ways to prevent that I have read... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like a nice Sunday drive.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, such amazing photos! You're a great photographer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those orchids are beautiful! Love the shot of the train car.

    ReplyDelete

.