my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Jetty-some - not Jetsam

It's been a mixed up week, what with the holidays. I don't know what day of the week it is at times. I'm just trekking along, taking one hour at a time and when someone tells me it's now 2015, I'll try to remember to put the correct year on my bookwork. LOL

Anyway, for the last couple of days a huge, massive cold front moved into South Texas. Winds, rain and more rain, strong tidal waves on the coast...sadly someone was ignorant and didn't pay heed to the small craft advisories handed out to boaters, and one capsized in the rough sea, rescuing efforts saved two of the three aboard; the other is still missing and presumed dead. The Coast Guard have been searching the bay area for two days and into the evenings, finally calling off the search because of darkness. Heart breaking, I know. I do have sympathies to the family's loss...but for the life of me, I just can't fathom the lack of common sense sometimes. Truly, it was an accident waiting to happen. And using a bit of that gray matter in our heads, it could've been prevented.  Read story...

Okay, back to the week that was...

I stood on the observation platform and watched! These ducks on the pond at Aransas Pass Texas the other day gave a whole new meaning to Synchronized Swimming [for those of us who know and remember Esther Williams]! Seriously, one row would swim in one direction while the other row would swim opposite. And they'd turn in motion to go the other way....both rows, together in timing. It was kinda phenomenal. I'd never seen anything such as this in the wild. Only in cartoons and Esther Williams' movies.


From this pond, then... off to the Packery Channel Jetty. This particular morning [again, don't ask me which day it was...I haven't the faintest idea], the winds were a lot calmer, the surf was a gentle lamb. Some wave action, but not all that stormy. As we walked the jetty, I stopped to watch some with paddle boards and a few with surf boards...



...along the jetty on most given days there are fishermen/women. This day it was no exception, but very few. One guy decided to fish the channel instead of the bay waters. Dozens of sea turtles would pop up out of the channel for air and quickly dive back under. The fisherman's line was a trap...he caught a turtle; they are a protected species, so he quickly reeled in his line, unhooked the turtle that was caught [no damage done] and re-released it to the sea.


...I kept a close eye on him to make sure the turtle wasn't harmed. Another curious observer, perched on the distant fencing along the channel's breakwater, was watching; keeping a close vigil on the happenings!


While Bud was kept interested in the surfers, I continued to walk to the end of the jetty. It's treacherous ...slick with the sea's slime at the end, so I just stood for a moment or two to watch the waves come in and splash against the boulders in front of me. Turning to retreat I could hear the harsh pounding as the waves hit under my footing, even tho I was above, on the cement walkway. Catching up with Bud, then, we left to the dunes and sandy beach, heading back to the car to go home.


NOTE: There is a bird on the bolder....a Willet. Can you spot it? [click photos to enlarge]


42 comments :

  1. I can hear the sea on the boulders as you described it! Love the ocean and it's perpetual waves. So relaxing to hear. The ducks are really fascinating. Don't you wonder why they were swimming that way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Synchronized swimming ducks! I haven't thought of Esther Williams in years, but yes I do remember and think of her shoulders when I think of her. I looked and looked but couldn't find the bird on the boulder. Oh well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i missed the bird on the boulder until you mentioned it. i was looking at the splasing waves.. i would have loved to see the Ester Williams ducks.. sad about the boaters, it is common here and happens way to often.. people come from the North and don't heed the warnings.. last week a paddle boarder like the ones in your photos, paddle out into the bay and it took 3 days to find his body. he was 19...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, people sometimes make no sense. Off in a boat, with people risking lives to save them. Fishing for illegal species.
    Your photos are lovely. Good to see people in shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me shiver, just seeing the photos! I can almost hear the surf and feel the spray! Your photos are always amazing. Yes, that is a brave bird - as brave as you were to walk out there!! Thanks for sharing. Prayers with the family of the missing (senseless) boater. Happy that two were rescued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admit to knowing who Ester Williams was and seeing her beautiful swimming.
    Very sad indeed about the loss of one life in the very angry seas. Some folks have permanent brain freezes I think. Thank goodness the turtle was untangled and swam away.
    Once again beautiful photos
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new look to your blog and the color!! It does look cold and made me shiver! I read about the storm there! Terrific captures as always, Anni!! Hope you have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting about the way the ducks were swimming. I remember Ester Williams too. It was so cold here this morning it looked like snow on the houses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sad about the people who ignored the warning. Love all your pictures

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so admire you and the way you get to live your life!! Texas weather is always interesting. I forget what day it is, too!! Time to hang the new calendars and open a new journal. Time to select this year's devotional books and reorganize my Bible Basket. I would love to be walking on a Texas beach on New Year's Day. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your last picture...is that a blue heron? He is all wet and flounced out, what a fabulous find! I hope you were wearing shoes with good grips on them, the sea is wild!! I love the organized rows of ducks. And this is a first for me, to see someone catch a turtle! I am glad he put it back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was the week that was.....do you remember that television show? I can almost sing the jingle....that was the week that was....it's over now...it's ended....that was the week that was....that was the week that waaaaassss......something like that. Remember?

    You made me laugh out loud at the ducks synchronized swimming. Wish you would have videoed that. Then put it on here. Would have loved to have watched that.

    I've only been to the coast once in my life....when I was ten....but we have a lake near, and inevitably, there is always someone young here who doesn't heed the wind warnings....and even the lake is treacherous when the winds are up....and many lives have been lost because someone thinks it won't happen to them. So sad.

    Really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to watch the ocean kicked up and the big waves.. I do hope the boaters were ok. Great shots of the Gb heron, ducks and the Willet.. I wish you and your family a very happy, healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You must be very invigorated when you leave the jetty. Nice mix of sights.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos Anni! Sad about that boat, but you're right about lack of common sense.
    Love the ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so sad about the boater. as you say....use common sense.

    pretty surf images.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful and inviting photography!

    Happy New Year,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely pictures and the ducks do seem to be in total symphony :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are great pictures.
    We live about four and a half hours from the beach, but we're going for my birthday in January. I can't wait.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  20. Last time I look it was 11 here in North Idaho.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ggodness your photos are gorgeous! Love all those bird shots. Lots of bad weather all over the place! We are stuck in the deep freeze with snow and ice. Ugh! Tomorrow I travel on the other side of town to the dentist. I love my dentist, although I hate seeing him! LOL! Happy New Year to you and yours. Hugs, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marvellous shots of birds and beach!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful beautiful images, so peaceful. And not long to go now, can't believe 2015 is knocking on our doors...

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful place for a walk. So much to see especially the performance art ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes as another comment said, it would have been very funny to see the ducks turning the way you described.great post May I wish you a very HAPPY NEW YEAR.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's sad about the person that is still missing, but I did like those ducks swimming in lines. I hope you have a brilliant 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing ducks swimming like that. Glad the turtle was not harmed.
    Best wishes for the New Year
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sad news about the people caught in the storm. I am always amazed at the synchronized swimming and flying of birds - without head-on collisions! I do see that little brave bird on the boulder! Maybe he's facing his fears. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice wave photos, and I really like your heron shot!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Anni, I do remember Esther Williams. I love the old movies!
    It has gotten quite cold here too.
    Wishing you a beautiful Happy and Blessed New Year. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice to see the turtle released unharmed. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful series of images, Anni.
    My favorite picture is 13.
    I wish you and all your loved ones a very happy and healthy 2015.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  33. Really nice series of pics. These are the best kind of birding treks. There's a little bit of everything around the area. Cool spot on the turtle! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really enjoyed your collection of pictures,especially the heron! Phyllis in Pa

    ReplyDelete
  35. You lead such an interesting life, Anni!
    Glad the turtle was not harmed!

    ReplyDelete
  36. How sad about the boaters lost in the storm! A horrible way for their family to start a new year. Like you say, we should use our grey matter!

    Great pictures and it looks like a wonderful outing! We saw Esther Williams and her family at Epcot center once!

    ReplyDelete
  37. It is looking pretty rough but interesting to watch. Imagine that, a bird out on those rocks, crazy. Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh dear, people need to have common sense. Thank you for watching out for the turtle. I hope 2015 is a great year for you Anni... Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.