my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Come. Take a Walk With Me...

...around Indian Point Park and Sunset Lakes!!

This is on the outskirts of Corpus Christi North Bay and Portland Texas.  It's a birding area, an historical area [which I posted about HERE], a jogging/walking/biking area, and for those who like the sport, fishing...a popular place to try out a new pole!!  On the Corpus Christi side of this nature area, there is a huge fishing pier with a tackle shop on pylons.  Just a bit away there is a boardwalk that juts into the marshy area from the bay with a good observation deck for the surrounding tidal pools.  The off ramp from the freeway takes you on a twisted narrow paved road where if driving slowly you can spot a lot of water fowl.  Just last weekend Bud and I spotted a couple of Belted Kingfishers on the power lines...they quickly disappeared tho because a large osprey was a 'threat' to them I'm sure...even if osprey are fish eaters.  The size of a large osprey hunting in the kingfisher territory would scare me too if I were a teeny-tiny kingfisher.  The day we spotted the kingfisher it was overcast.  We decided to return to see if the kingfishers were still around on Thursday, but no go.  With intermittent sunshine and beautiful clouds, the wind was a bit on the cool side - very pleasant for a change!!  Besides seeing the usual resident water fowl, we walked the entire path from the parking lot on Corpus's side to the Portland side.  About a three/three 1/2 mile walk.  Here are some of the wonders we spotted along the way.  As you can see with the birds and their feathers, the windchill was a bit much for them; all hunkered down to keep warmer---

These bird images are mouse-over captioned...scroll your mouse over it, pause, and the species will be shown



...butterflies and wildflowers


...sparkling water and snail shells




51 comments :

  1. Just beautiful, Anni. I know just how those birds felt in the wind. I really thought if any of my blogging friends would have pictures of the eclipse, it would be you! Are they still to come? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...if you're talking the solar eclipse...no I don't have a filter for the lens. Thanks DJ.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Anni....we have been to Corpus, but were camping with friends and did not make it to wander the beach. Instead we made a trip out to King Ranch and went to the submarine. Our friend was on one during Viet Nam. Loved the shots of the birds, and they do look a bit chilly. There is often a pretty chilly breeze coming off the Gulf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. some real winners there looking Octoberish

    ReplyDelete
  4. would love to see an osprey some day. :) like that snail shell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really a beautiful collection of photos !
    Have a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful collection of photos for the day indeed, Anni!! I do love the shell and the butterflies!! Hope your weekend is off to a great start! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely birds and butterflies. I like the wildflowers and the snail shell too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful walk! I really like that White Morphed Egret.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The White-morphed reddish egret is my favorite and I also love the Night Heron. Happy birding Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos. I love the snail shell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great slection of bird shots. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pictures Anni and the Osprey is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed the walk with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you came along Paula.

      Delete
  14. Dear Anni, A lovely walk indeed. Have a beautiful weekend. Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you dear Catherine.

      Delete
  15. Great post, Anni! I love all the beautiful birds. The Osprey is always a cool sight.. Wonderful photos! Thank you for linking up, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the walk. I enjoy seeing all the birds.Sure wish I could actually be there in person some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...come on down Ruth. Thanks.

      Delete
  17. Your every photo is postcard perfect!! All so beautiful! My personal favorites are the last two.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. ANNI I WOULD LOVE TO TAKE A WALK ABOUT WITH YOU IN YOUR BEAUTIFUL CITY. IT IS FULL OF INTERESTING SIGHTS.
    HUGS CECILIA

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos, Anni! It is such a lovely place and such a treasure to have nearby! I wanted to thank you for checking out the name of Tumacacori for me. Perhaps you can come back to this area on a trip some time and we can enjoy it together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love that...and to meet you would be awesome.

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this Willow.

      Delete
  21. Gorgeous water bird photography !

    Happy Week ahead for you >
    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have really nice places to take your fine shots. They are nice - all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...some of the best areas for birding are the prettiest here and around town. Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  23. The white-morph fooled me. He wasn't even canopy feeding to give me a clue. I was so excited to see yours, I forgot to leave a comment before I raced back to my pics. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are tricky to ID when they morph.

      Delete
  24. I really like the collection of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed the walk with you Anni! Beautiful photography as always.

    ReplyDelete

.