my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




When You Wish Upon a Star....

Our yard work is still an ongoing thing, but taking a break today what with the rains here today; unable to be outdoors, working, I thought I'd share one morning this week with you....
Early, before sunrise, on September 11th, I was primed and ready to go out in the dark and see if I could spot the ISS flyby. [International Space Station]. Erik, our son, reminded me. As I was waiting for its appearance, I had camera in hand and took a few photos of the moon and a couple of stars [the first two are zoomed in stars - or  planets? ]...


I was a bit startled while looking through the camera's lens to see one BLUE. No matter how I focused or zoomed, it remained blue. I've always seen through our telescope [which I haven't had out of our closet since we relocated to Texas] yellow or white stars. I thought maybe the blue was a planet. Who knows. But if it IS a blue star then, I read online HERE that blue stars are the hottest in surface temperature [like the blue in a flame].  And with the moon shots, the moon's axis [last moon photo posted on this page] is in a different position from the last super moon I viewed and photographed last year.  But it's NOT the moon revolving, it's US here on earth.

Anyway, while perusing the sky at 6 a.m. I almost missed the space station.  If I hadn't turned away from the stars and started taking photos of the moon with the zoom lens, I would've not seen it.  There it was just north of the moon about 42 degrees in the morning sky zooming across the horizon.  I texted Erik then, and he was outdoors in HOUSTON...and within 10-15 minutes it was flying over Houston!!!  About 220 miles from our house to his apartment area....



...and yes, I have some yard work photos and a new birding area we checked out this week while on blogging hiatus. But, I'll share them on my next post when I return.

38 comments :

  1. Can't wait to see what you have done with your yard. I'm doing a house tour post tomorrow! :) Your moon images are spot on.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we haven't done anything special with our yard except for trimming the overgrowth. And we're not done. It's far too long neglected this season. Thanks Mersad.

      Delete
  2. My daughter and son-in-law are avid ISS watchers. I got to see it once when we were at the beach... no obstructions. Just imagine, that little thing zooming around the earth.. amazing, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this Marie? Do they go up to Kitt Peak ever?

      Delete
  3. How very cool! Love the blue star!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last thing I watched was Halley's Comet ! Great shots of the moon and the space station. Enjoy your yard clean-up. It's always exciting! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rain today in GA made us put off our yard work too!
    I saw the space station earlier this year at our last home. I love your photos. Wishing you two a very nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm sure glad it's finally giving us some much needed rain!! I'm all for it. Have a great weekend too, Mildred.

      Delete
  6. Wow, I didn't know about this! Maybe it did not pass over our area. Amazing. Your planet and moons, holy cow!!!! HOW were you able to snap a STAR?? And the moon is super in detail! Seriously, how could you snap a star?? You must have had a tripod, it just fascinates me, I have never known anyone who could snap a star or planet. Really AMAZING shots today, Anni!!! I am totally in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...just aimed the lens and zoomed as far as I could with the camera. They're never clear and precise, but it's the color I was amazed at this time. Thanks Ginny.

      Delete
  7. P.S. I am STILL here, scrolling up and down , looking at your pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...:-) Glad you're enjoying the photos this weekend Ginny.

      Delete
  8. How do you like the cooler weather? I like it but still have air conditioners on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the moon and sky shots.. Awesome captures, Anni! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni the moon photos are amazing. Wow...never seen it quite that way.
    Too many street lights around here to see the moon and stars like I'd like.
    While away last week we were staying with friends in a small town near the mountains. One stop light city. They live out a bit and what a view of stars and moon.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean....our neighbor's yard lights are the same....lights up the neighborhood.

      Delete
  11. Wow - those moon shots are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice shots. I can't get good shots of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ann. It makes a difference in the zoom lens.

      Delete
  13. Love that blue star!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These shots are really great. Pretty blue star...
    how fun that you and your son both out, watching the sky. Awesome !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Your camera (and you) do a really good job of closeups of those heavenly bodies, Anni. Good job, you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks DJ....I have to say I think it's mostly the camera.

      Delete
  16. Gorgeous moon and planet shots!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great thing to see - I did not even know you could!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting on the blue. Very cool on the International Space Station.

    ReplyDelete

.