“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





The Best Laid Plans of Wife and Man...

Well, I took a week off last week from blogging in hopes of getting our yard [at least the back yard] under control and looking like someone actually lived here. The lawn....shhhhh...don't tell anyone, hadn't been mowed since July!! Seriously. It was just way too hot, day or night. And the warnings went from sun-up to sun-down. It's not the heat but more the heavy, thick, humidity down here that'll fry your brain. Well, the lawn finally got mowed. And the ever-growing [even in drought] pyracantha got trimmed down. Also, the out-of-control bird of paradise plant was all chopped down to nubbins. We still have to thin that one out to get rid of some of the tubers, otherwise, it will not bloom. And that is the whole purpose of working on that one. The week-long planned jobs of work didn't get accomplished before the heavy rains came. No complaints here! I welcomed the storms. A couple of days into the week, still rain around the area, we drove beyond Portland, Texas to a county road just past the exit to Aransas Pass [not to be confused with the island village of Port Aransas]. The Corpus Christi Audubon Society has a birding sanctuary near this area. It's described as quite a beautiful place. We've never been there. Now, I've had some experience with the CCAS [audubon society] around our town. Really nothing to write home about comparing it to other neighboring counties' societies. We've been to three other sanctuaries, and only one is just half way decent. Packery Channel on North Padre Island. Still, it isn't that well maintained. Sadly. Okay, so what to expect with this new one? I had high hopes.
Driving about 6-8 miles off highway #35 we arrived at the gate. It looked deserted and unkempt. Not surprising. Not at all. As we were making up our mind to even venture through the access gate, the mosquitoes nearly picked the car up and flew away with us still in it. They were swarming around the windows knocking heavily with their peckers for us to let them in to dine on our blood.
"I don't know about you, but if we go out in this, I'm getting the OFF in the trunk" I whispered to Bud so the skeeters couldn't hear me.

We got out, the distant thunder could be heard and as I was making my clothes glossy with OFF. Bud said as he was heading to the entrance: "We'd better just go a short way or we'll get soaked me thinks!" Let me just say it was quite a disappointment......again. Grass knee high on me...trails not marked [if we were on trails that is...couldn't tell]. The Observation decks described in their website was to be pristine and pretty. HA!! Remarkable we found it hidden by the extreme overgrowth! We left. Only seeing one cardinal, a few mockingbirds, and a couple of grackles. Oh ya, and when we got back to the car, one extremely hungry vulture on the power pole. I think it was hoping we'd be killed by the mosquitoes. As we were heading out of the country scene the rains came. Heavy and left us unable to see much out of the windshield on a one car lane. Luckily by the time we came back to the county road to head toward the highway to Portland and back home, the rains died down and a nice quiet ride through the farmlands. Stopping the car to get a photo of this old barn, I liked that it had glass in the upper window!!


...and just before entering the busy highway a field of Snowy Egrets and Common Egrets was seen...


Not all was a loss tho. Pretty egrets, good dose of much needed moisture falling...and a beautiful.......

80 comments :

  1. Like that barn and the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you like 'em Paula

      Delete
  2. Beautiful rainbow! I love it! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were missed. The egrets and the rainbow are so pretty. GA is still hot and muggy but we did receive some rain last week, thankfully.
    Have a nice Sunday evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, more rain need tho.
      Thanks Mildred

      Delete
  4. It frustrates me to no end to for places to be written up as so nice and then to get there and find they could not be more opposite.

    Glad you got much needed rain...and love that barn pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's a shame they do that online...so many things you can't believe. I'd like to do write-ups on these at THEIR site! lol

      Thanks Rose.

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous rainbow!!
    We got some much needed rain here in Fort Bend County too. And the mosquitoes! OMG, THE MOSQUITOES!! I wore long pants and a hoodie and sprayed everywhere with Off just to go out to fill up the bird feeders.
    We've had hummingbirds moving through last week. Have they been moving through the CC area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....we have 6 feeders out that I have to refill each morning here of late. I'd say abut 25-30 swarming around our yard.

      Delete
  6. So disappointing about the Sanctuary. It's a shame when they go to the effort to put something like that in place,and then don't maintain it.
    Love the barn though, and the rainbow is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...welcome back Mari.
      Thanks...glad you enjoyed the rainbow.

      Delete
  7. Great barn and I always love a rainbow! Hope you have a wonderful new week with less heat -- having been born and raised in Texas, I can so relate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, then, you understand the blistering inferno we've been having. I'm so ready for Autumn.

      Delete
  8. The rainbow shot was worth all your troubles with the mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...if you say so. Yes, I know you're right. It was a pretty sight.

      Delete
  9. I missed you! Good to catch up on your news. Love your photos, and glad you did get out and about, after the yard was taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh trust me the yard is NOT done. The rain put a halt on our intentions.

      Delete
  10. Congrats on cleaning up your yard... The heat and humidity is the main reason I don't live in Texas any longer. However, I have two sons there --and they love it. AND--we are visiting them this next weekend.... Hope it's not TOO hot--since the temp here at home is in the 50's-60's now...

    Sorry about your latest visit to that run-down 'sanctuary'... Looks like it was a sanctuary for the mosquitos though.. ha ha ... Glad you made it out of there before those heavy rains...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the yard is just partially finished...it began raining that week, so we goofed off more than worked. lol

      Delete
  11. Quite a day Anni ... I tell you, I would never have gotten out of the car in those mosquitoes. Glad your day ended up better than he sanctuary. Nice photos. Love old barns. Thanks for sharing your day with us.
    Appreciate your visit to Timeless Treasures and thanks for the nice comment.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have you stop by for a visit too Audrey. Thanks.

      Delete
  12. What a lovely sight! They are scattered all over the field like flowers! The rainbow is so vivid, my cameras always wash them out. And you can see both ends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a panoramic setting to get the complete rainbow!
      Thanks Ginny

      Delete
  13. That sounds like a wonderful adventure. Glad the vulture left you alone, heee hee heee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Monday! Thank you for the Monday morning rainbow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen so many Egrets in one place. Have a great week. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope you enjoyed it all today Tom.

      Delete
  16. Love that old soggy barn with it's window. Not something you often see. I've never seen so many egrets in one place. That shot was worth the trip and then the rainbow. WOW! That is the most awesome rainbow I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow....I'm glad you liked it all today Betty

      Delete
  17. I love the Egrets and the pretty rainbow. Those skeeters can hurt! Sorry the sanctuary is not well cared for..I assume the rain is needed there, we seem to have too much here.. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...in desperate need of rain here with a 5 year drought!!
      Thanks Eileen.

      Delete
  18. I haven't seen a rainbow in ages. Yes, I've seen LOTS of overcast and ain...but no rainbows. So many egrets in one place! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I just had to share it's colors with everyone. :-)

      Delete
  19. Ahhh. Now that's a right perfect rainbow, Anni. You really needed that rain, didn't you? It sure looked like a heavy downpour from the clouds overhead. Dark and threatening. We don't usually get stuff like that here, just constant drizzle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....5 years drought...we need MORE rain just to catch up for the loss. Everything was just so dry. Even lakes and ponds. We were in sad shape.

      Delete
  20. definitely sounds like it needs some maintenance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm always tired when I'm hiking. I think that vultures usually have my number as well. But so far I've never given them so much as a snack. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was outside last evening with our dog and heard a different set of bird sounds from a flock flying over. Couldn't quite identify it until they got very close, and it was a flock of egrets. I don't think I'd ever heard them in such numbers. And if you ever put out a book of your pictures, or stories, or both, I'd be first in line to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwww, Shelly, you flatter me. Thanks. I bet that was some sight with the egrets.

      Delete
  23. WOWOWOWOWOW the rainbow is breathtaking..you captured it at just the perfect moment too.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  24. Our summer didn't get to terribly hot and muggy until later into August. But, the mosquitoes were out in full force. Too bad that your adventure didn't turn out very well, but you will have more opportunities soon. Love that Egret shot.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Look at all those egrets. And, I got excited when I saw just one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that!! I get excited when I see just one bird too....they're all such beautiful creatures.

      Delete
  26. Great barn, Anni! Not-so-great bird sanctuary! :-) Glad you got the yard done...we still have to tackle ours. You can barely find the house! And a hurricane is heading this way so that means MORE rain! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...just partially done. It started raining and hasn't dried out much yet. Ironic...Tucson getting more rain that we here in the sub tropics. Go figure.

      Delete
  27. Dear Anni, That is a shame that the whole experience was misrepresented completely. The barn is classic and glad the rain finally fell. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Catherine...we need MORE rain.

      Delete
  28. Too bad about the sanctuary. Love the barn though and that's a pretty rainbow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ann....btw...how is Duke?

      Delete
  29. Wonderful post and photos for OWT ~ favorite is the rainbow shot!

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  30. At least you gave it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well it wasn't a total wash. You got a nice field of egrets, a great rainbow pic, and a lovely barn. But I hate mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you and me both Judy...I detest 'em.

      Delete
  32. So glad you got the rain that was needed. That rainbow shot is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Fiona. We need a LOT more rain to make up for the loss during the 5 year drought.

      Delete
  33. I've come back because I'm not sure my comment "took." Looks like it was a nice day in spite of the mosquitoes.
    Our grass is awaiting a mow, too. Something about a loose bearing/baring and the blades out of balance. I hope they call this week for us to pick it up.
    If you get two similar comments, please delete and/or edit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, I'm glad you came back!!

      Delete
  34. I used to help my dad mow the land. It was fun bonding activity :D
    Loved the rainbow shot. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Loved your stories from your CO trip! Yep, that T-Rex is scary! :-) What scared our daughter at age 6 when we took her back to Denver on a trip was the sabre-tooth tiger you put money in, and it growls. It was still there, and I had our grandson throw a coin in and get his picture, just like his Mom had done. Will post both that shot and one of the T-Rex soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That T-Rex falls into our conversations quite a bit...even now after all these years.

      Delete
  36. I'm glad it rained..I hope it helped the drought some. Sorry the sanctuary was a bust..who looks after those places after they get donated? Is there a committee or a group or someone? I'd be wondering what happened after DuPont donated the land. I love the barn- and I bet the rainbow spread a little happiness after the whole mosquitoes tried to carry you off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know who takes on the maintenance work on these areas. You'd think it'd be the land recipient which in this case the Audubon Society.

      Delete
  37. Wow those must have been some mosquito's. I've been to an area like that before, it's pretty scary to think of being eaten alive by those critters. Too bad the birding wasn't better. I do like the old barn and the filed with all the egrets but most of all the gorgeous rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great shots. Love the rainbow. MB

    ReplyDelete

.