my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


The Darkest Nights Produce the Brightest Stars...

...as for the title, a lot see dark walls as gloomy. I don't!! But...
Don't laugh...this is serious business here.  lol [sorry, I couldn't help myself!!]  When decorating our home, the living room, dining room, and kitchen is 98% all one room.  It's an open area from the front door to the back, kitchen garage, door.  With a sunken living room floor.  Once you step up into the dining room from the living room, the kitchen is open from the ceiling down half way with scrolled woodwork and counter tops.  These days, at least I think...there is just too much white!!  White walls everywhere you look; hospital rooms, lobbies in hotels, motel rooms, restaurants to an extent, mall interior, book stores,...white, white everywhere.  What happened to color?  Expressing yourself with pastel or a bold designer color?    Most newer homes are all white interior.  That gets to be a bit sterile looking all the time...in our house in Tucson before moving to Texas, the entire house was white...white walls, white doors, white appliances...boring.  It didn't take me long to want colored walls.  So, I vowed to have the walls painted colors.  Sure, one color gets to be a bit old and faded after a while...that's when change is needed.  But having the kitchen open from the dining room created a challenge.  I didn't want blue in the kitchen.  When trying to figure out how to change the wall color in the kitchen and make the one wall that is part of the dining room & kitchen work together well enough...how to do it?  Bud suggested we put a strip of moulding from the floor to the ceiling...separating the two rooms.  That worked.  The floor tiles are brown and gold-fleck like....and now here comes the 'funny' part....wait for it, wait for it...
Choosing a color that would accent the blue and still match the flooring AND not show the cat food splatterings on the wall!!!  The name of the paint color is Pumpernickle...but I call it terra cotta.  It's a good contrast of the "Printer's Ink Blue" paint color in the adjoining dining room.  [By the way...who thinks up these paint colors anyway?]


I'll show you before and after --the images are very large, so, here they're tiny...use the lightbox feature to get 'em larger if you wish, by clicking on them...


...looking through the wooded open area that separates the kitchen from the dining room [see first before/after images of the kitchen color change], you can see the dining room -which can be seen through the living room archway...

The living room, dining room, hallway and kitchen, done!!  Now, moving on to the spare bedroom.  It's debatable what color.  I want one...Bud prefers another.  Arguments?  Ya, probably.  At least we don't have to try and match the cats' kibbles and bits colors.


...oh, and I just finished making a new keyring hanger...I took an oval frame, wrapped it in jute, decorated it with artificial cattails, added some shells from my collection, and a ceramic seagull.  On the backside, I glued a white picket beach fence...




48 comments :

  1. Anni, pretty makeover. And I love your cute keyholder.. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the key hanger! You know, my daughter and son-in-law recently bought a new house and while house-hunting with my daughter, I was astonished by the white kitchens! I mean white, white everything!! What are they thinking?? Don't they realize what spilled grape juice and cat barf and doggie poo is going to do to all that white??? Anyway, they ended up buying an older home that they can paint to suit themselves. Your matching the cat kibble reminds me of when we replaced the flooring in a previous home and we matched the flooring to the cats so that their shedding wouldn't show so much!! Love your wall colors! Painting is such a slippery slope--paint one room and it just makes you realize how much better the adjacent room would look with fresh paint. It never ends...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I've been wanting to repaint the entire interior...so this is an expected happening here...one room down, another to go. Thanks Florence.

      Delete
  3. nice key hanger, very pretty. and i like the printers ink blue, but it doesn't look like ink to me... we bought our house because of the living/dining/kitchen is the whole middle of the house from front door to sliding glass doors in kitchen, one big room. i love the openness. it is 17 wide and 37 long.and is also WHITE... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great key hanger, I may have to borrow that idea! Years ago, when I was still single and childless, I did everything in white... two weeks later I started re-painting everything because it felt like I was living in a hospital surgery. Lesson learned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your colors. They are restful and rather peaceful. Nice makeover, Anni! And yeah, your key hanger is smashing! :-0

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your keyring hanger. I have never paint a wall nor a ceiling! Logs don't need paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....you can bring out the color in the decor tho!!!

      Delete
  7. I like the deep blue in your dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your color choices and they look wonderful together. That's a creative keyring hanger; very handy.
    Wishing you a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni if you get tired of being retired you could be an interior decorator. So very pretty!
    I live your wreath!
    Hugs
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think interior decoration goes same line as clothing fashion. One year the hem line is up and next year it down.
    I like what I like. Personal I like color.
    Anyhow I like your bird picture in dinning room.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great! We have a similar color to your terra cotta in our dining room/kitchen and have gotten lots of compliments on it.
    Your Key hanger is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I likey it lots. Now I gotta go back and look at it closer and longer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm laughing here because for as long as I can remember I've always had color on my walls until the last time we painted. I decided I wanted white. Well more of an antique white but I had enough of color....lol
    I do like the colors you picked and I love your keyring hanger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....you went to all white?!! That's ironic, isn't it?

      Delete
  14. Very creative! I like your color choice! I also agree that the color names are a bit crazy. Our bedroom color is "Field of Wheat"!! The guest rooms are "Silk Stockings". Go figure!! Keep us posted on the spare room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....silk stockings? Hmmmm. LOL

      Delete
  15. I think you made some GREAT choices!!! Love the beautiful colors! And that key holder is SOOOO clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see some serious decorating going on. Everything looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice colour change, Anni! I'm also a colour fan, the man not so much, tsk tsk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I always look at it this way, if you're the one to clean, decorate, it should be up to YOU to decide what color. LOL

      Delete
  18. I love, love, love your colour choices. Everything matches so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the bird pictures hanging on the wall. I'm assuming you are the photographer. Nice key holder! That dining room is calling my name. What you having for dinner? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....I have several frames with photos of birds I've spotted here in Texas. Thanks for the compliments...for dinner? Too early to know. lol

      Delete
  20. I have come up with a few new ways to use shells over the years. I still have one I painted for my Mom as Holiday ornament in high school. I love shells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my....I would think they'd make wonderful ornaments!!

      Delete
  21. Beautiful makeover my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always wanted a terra cotta room color! Love your color choice. And that key holder is so neat! How did you think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I too have been choosing paint colors...for our new home. I have had several colors on the walls of my other house. Thought I would be neutral this time, because my husband doesn't know that I want all new furniture. Shhh! Wish me luck. I agree that some of the paint colors have unusual names! My new one is Irish Cream.....sounds like a nice drink! Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...new furniture...new house....sounds like a winner to me!!

      Delete
  24. Sounds like you have been busy... The one thing about renovation is that once you start a room or area, it never ends... Getting something new in one area makes everything else look old... SO---you have to keep on making changes until it is ALL new and PERFECT.... ha ha (never happens, does it???)

    Because of hubby's bad back, and because of all of the work involved in having a wood-burning fireplace, we are converting to a really nice gas fireplace this year... That's a huge change for us --since we both love wood burning fireplaces.. But--one has to do what one has to do!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to do this for a couple of years now...it's time!! Thanks Betsy.

      Delete

.