“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You...

...All the live long day
The eyes of Texas are upon you
And you cannot get away

Do not think you can escape them
From night till early in the morn
The eyes of Texas are upon you
Till Gabriel blows his horn

University of Texas [Austin] "Fight Song"
Lyrics written in 1903 by John Sinclair
[sung to the tune of I've Been Workin' on the Railroad]
I was aware of this song in my youth [before residing in Texas]...didn't realize it was a university theme 'til I read it online just this week.

...Now, here are some Texas "Eyes"
Let me get this first one out of the way before the 'fun' eyes show...


Texas Alligator Eyes





In order [top left to right]:
Savannah Sparrow - Green Heron
Barn Swallow - Red Shafted Flicker
Brown Pelican
Cooper's Hawk - Osprey
Kitties, Winston and Tahoe



...Hello Spring!!






HODGEPODGE

1. March is known as the windy month. Which of the following phrases best fits your March so far...'throw caution to the wind', 'three sheets to the wind', 'run like the wind', or 'see which way the wind blows'? throw caution to the wind--never been one to take risks much...three sheets to the wind--don't drink very often, can't be me...run like the wind--the only time that would happen at my age in ANY MONTH is if I would be chased by someone or some thing...don't see that happenin'...see which way the wind blows--it's like just 'wait and see, then take action. So, guess that'll be more me than the other idioms. PS...sometimes the use of Beano helps. Sorry, couldn't resist. Besides, that's not an option this week; breaking wind.

2. Your favorite green food? Your favorite dish made with your favorite green food? We have tossed salad most every night. So it'd have to be a combination of green foods, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, diced green zucchini, fresh spinach leaves, kale, iceberg lettuce with other veggies of different colors.

3. Ever been locked out of your home-car-office-anywhere? Do tell! Our garage!!! When the power is off and we're out and about...can't get the door to open 'til the power comes back on. Have to go into the house, unlock everything and open it manually.

4. Yoda, Kermit, Shrek, The Wicked Witch of the West, Oscar the Grouch, The Grinch, or Mike Wasowski (Monsters Inc.)...of the green characters listed, which one's your favorite and why? Wicked Witch of the West. I collect witches. And in the book by McGuire, her name happens to be Elphaba!!-"I've always been green, and no I didn't chew grass as a child." Yoda would come in second on my list of 'favorites'...he's so wise:-"Do or do not. There is no try!"

5. "The first task of a leader is to keep hope alive."~Joe Batten Do you agree? Why or why not?
I really can't say. I think it would depend on the leader, and what/whom is being lead!! Sometimes it would suffice, other times...well, scare tactics work. Seriously it just depends!

6. Share a favorite song with an emotion in it's title. I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU...but only when it's performed by the late Whitney Houston.

7. What's a road trip you'd like to take? We have one planned this Spring. We're gonna just take it one day at a time and go where we choose to go each day. No itinerary or schedule, just one mile at a time and see some new things. Texas is a big state; we're gonna remain within its boundaries.

8. Insert your own random thought here. After mentioning the novel I finished, Lincoln Deception, Bud and I finally watched the 2012/2013 drama, Lincoln, starring Daniel Day Lewis. I was impressed with the likeness of Mr. Lewis' portrayal of Abraham Lincoln, and Sally Fields and "Madame President" Mary Todd Lincoln. But I can't say too much about the movie context. Sure, it was good, and it was entertaining. I especially enjoyed the debates in the house ---back then, they WORKED for their money, unlike the idiots Congress we see today. But thing is, at least for me, with the characters and celebrities playing the historical figures, we hardly knew who they were throughout the first half. After about a couple of hours into the movie, then and only then were 'names' shown as closed captioning! By that time, I was quite frustrated. I blame it all on Steven Spielberg. Oh, and the ending? If I were director, I would've faded to black when Mr. Lincoln said his last words and leaving, walking through the hallway, readying to attend  Ford's Theater's play on the fateful evening...

LINCOLN "Am I in trouble?"

WILLIAM SLADE "No, sir."

LINCOLN "Thank you, Mr. Slade."

Slade hands Lincoln his gloves as Colfax and Ashley drain
their drinks and rise.

LINCOLN "I suppose it's time to go, though I would rather stay."

He leaves the room.

On the way out, Lincoln tosses the gloves on a side table.
Slade grabs them, considers chasing after Lincoln, then
thinks better of it. He walks back towards the office. Then
some strange feeling stops him, and he turns around again.
Lincoln is walking away, past the petitioners' chairs, down
the empty hallway.


Here's where I think the movie should've ended...
Slade watches till Lincoln turns the corner, and he's gone.

Instead there is another 10-15 minutes of what we all know happened...the assassination....plus added a flashback of Lincoln's speech. Unnecessary in my opinion.

linking to: Wednesday Hodgepodge

102 comments :

  1. Green beans, fresh from the plant! Hard to beat!

    The Grand Canyon was pretty remarkable! My kids want me to take them there!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should...I was wondering if your family went to AZ with you...try and make an effort to take them sometime Stewart. I like Green Beans too.

      Delete
  2. Great post! am so hoping that this oil spill will have minimal effect on all of the wonderful coastal birds. Such a terrible thing to happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been keeping tabs on the oil spill also!! ALL the wildlife will be affected.

      Delete
  3. Those eye captures are awesome, Anni! I love that Whitney Houston song too. I always get goosebumps whenever I hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...goosebumps!! Did you see the movie, The Bodyguard?

      Delete
    2. I did and really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed the Lincoln movie and especially the portrayal of Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln, but I too thought the ending was weak. But what beautiful Texas eyes you shared here, Anni. Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes...agreed. Weak, quite weak. It would've been so much more poignant I think if it ended like I mentioned. But, I'm not the one who's making the money...right? What do I know? LOL

      Delete
  5. Aye Aye Anni, from Wiki - The Northern Wheatear is a migratory insectivorous species breeding in open stony country in Europe and Asia with footholds in northeastern CANADA and GREENLAND as well as in northwestern CANADA and ALASKA. All birds winter in Africa.

    You didn't mention my favourite green - asparagus, an acquired taste for some.

    No 6 - Did I tell you lately by Van Morrison?

    Some Wheatears I see in the next few weeks will be crossing the Atlantic Ocean and heading to Canada and Greenland but i don't know if the Wheatear occurs as far south as Texas. Good luck with the research which should tell you how the bird supposedly acquired got its fun name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I have to do two searches...the Van Morrison song and more on the Wheateater.

      Delete
  6. I love the beautiful header for your blog. I enjoyed the eyes of Texas. What lovely eyes your kitties have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Cynthia, I'm kinda partial to our kitties. Of course. ;-)

      Delete
  7. I think many movies would be better if they ended 10-15 minutes sooner! Sometimes it's that last bit that ruins it. I'm a Mike Wasowski fan and speaking of eyes, he's got a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your Texas eyes!
    We enjoyed the Lincoln movie - especially the similarities of the actors to the characters. I agree with your ending though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we both agree on the movie. Glad you enjoyed the TX eyes today Mari.

      Delete
  9. no gator eyes showing for me... i love the kitten eyes... and pelicans are my favorite of all birds, so love that one. i had Lincoln on DVR and we tried to watch it last night and after the first 15 minutes deleted it. but they did do a great job of making him look like Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty, the movie you deleted isn't any loss. It was okay, but not noteworthy of nomination of any awards. At least my opinion.

      Sorry to read the alligator eye didn't load for you...it should've. Hmmmm.

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed the slide show, such a great variety! Terrific close-ups! No blossom here yet :(
    My favourite green food is asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never did like asparagus. Bud does tho.

      Thanks Karen. Glad you enjoyed the bird photos/eyes slide show.

      Delete
  11. I saw those gators eyes last weekend -- a little too close! Love your shots, especially of the brown pelican. You captured all the nice details. I can never get a good one of that bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I think they're so photogenic. Keep trying Gail...I know with your expertise in photography, you'll get a perfect shot of a pelican!!!!

      Delete
  12. Also Grüne Bohnen mag ich sehr..frisch aus dem Garten und Salat wirklich lecker.
    Die Augen ..jedes Paar so schön..auf seine Art.
    und der Frühling
    einen LG vom katerchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the eyes...they're all beautiful in their own way!!! I too like green beans.

      Delete
  13. Those are some very piercing eye shots! March has been starting to get windy and rainy here as well, even though it started beautifully.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are piercing!!! I loved your rainy still life today Mersad!

      Delete
  14. Well, you must know that I love the kitties, Winston and Tahoe, better than the birds! Sorry - cat lady that I am! I agree with you on the Lincoln movie. I wasn't impressed, and was put off by the ending (which we all know, anyway!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhhh, I love cats AND birds tho, so there'll be much more bird photos in times to come. So, if you stop paying me visits, I'll know you got bored with my style of blogging and interests. ;-)

      You're not the only one then, from other comments here to dislike the movie. It was okay, but nothing close to being nominated for best picture...or was it? I can't recall.

      Delete
  15. I'm not crazy about the winds we have been having...except it means we can fly a kite with our Hotrod...great eye shots...I love Texas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 'heart' Texas too Deb. You say Fly a kite with your hotrod? What exactly does that mean...hotrod=car? How do you do this then?

      Delete
  16. Great post. I love the way you focused on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those Eyes Of Texas. I like all green vegetables, wish I liked fruit as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I like fruits as much as veggies...and I forgot all about broccoli...it's a favorite of mine also. Glad you enjoyed the eyes.

      Delete
  18. some great texas eyes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great and fun post, Anni. Nice collection of Rexas eyes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Shey. I knew you'd like the birds' eyes.

      Delete
  20. Love all the photos of animal's eyes. Great theme! Thanks for the blog visit - love having you stop by! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Linda!! I enjoy visiting with you also!!

      Delete
  21. By the way, my favorite green food is endamame or soy beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our son likes soy also...but the other one, endamame, I've not heard of so will have to google to find out what it is.

      Delete
  22. Just give me peas - cold peas, hot peas, cooked peas, raw peas, frozen peas and pea soup of course. Peas please but no pea-green paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like peas too....I don't think there is a green veggie I don't like....EXCEPT okra.

      Delete
  23. i have to hand it to you! I really tried to watch the Lincoln movie, but never made it halfway because I was bored to tears. did you snap all the eye photos? They are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Anni Love all the shots of the eyes. How different they all are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret...I know how you like birding for pleasure, so you enjoying the images today was good to read.

      Delete
  25. A good Probiotic will pretty much eliminate the need for Beano ... I'm surprised more people didn't comment on your inablility to resist. ... but, like you, I couldn't resist :) Your Texas eyes are great except I couldn't find any in the last picture ... pink eye is not a good thing, so I guess I should be glad it is just flowers. Your Hodge Podge is always intelligent and humorous ... I love all of them and as for green ... I love all green vegies so take your pick. I haven't seen the LIncoln movie yet ... My husband likes to wait until they come out on DVD then we watch at home (he falls in the hermit category) so now I will have to look at it with your thoughts in mind and see what I think. Great post, as always, Annie.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink Eye? Oh my goodness you had me going there for a minute. Made me laugh. LOL on the probiotic. I guess most just don't read my entire blog and babbling on like I do. Yes, when you DO watch the movie [it is on DVD now]...let me know what you think.

      Thanks Andrea.

      Delete
  26. Anni, what a great post.. I love all the eyes staring at me! I love salads and road trips too. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the positive feedback Eileen!!! You and I are kindred spirits, birds, salads and road trips!!!

      Delete
  27. Dearest Anni;
    Good Morning from Japan. Oh, the eyes from Texas♪♪♪♪ I thought your love for the birds (and nature) really is here in this post. Beautiful eyes and I love the lyrics.
    So, you lived Texas before right (?), I wish I could visit and see there!!!

    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived in Texas now for nearly a decade, and lovin' it here!!! Especially this time of year. Glad you enjoyed the post today Mayako.

      Delete
  28. I liked the pink flower ... and road trips -- without real restraints, doing your own thing each day, go with the flow, ENJOY, see new scenery, have coffee-stops, pull into a new motel when it works late in the afternoon -------so nice to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...exactly!!! My kind of road trip.

      Delete
  29. Love your bird photos. Anyhow next weekend photo hunt one theme is bird(s) can't wait to see what others post. Wondering what I';; get snap shot of.

    Not much of spring here. Talking of snow above 4.000 feet.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I just may have to add my addition to the photo hunt then. LOL

      Delete
  30. That was really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Replies
    1. ...thank you, dear Denise!!

      Delete
  32. I love your Texas eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  33. When I lived in Dallas, we used to go to a lot of Longhorn games. Gave us something to do on the weekend. Have you been up to LBJ's ranch? There are tons of wildflower fields. I used to be a property claims adjuster with a home office in Alabama, so if the damage was in Texas they sent me. I don't think they understand how big the state really is. I spent a lot of time in the Hill Country. Loved those drives. Beautiful birds. I especially enjoyed seeing the brown pelican.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, most people don't realize that it actually takes two days of driving to get through the state! Well, at least 16 hours of driving straight through!!! And the Hill Country is such a pretty area of the state...any time of year.

      Delete
  34. Oh I love the eyes...especially the Kitty eyes!!
    Happy Wednesday
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M&M....I knew you'd enjoy Winston and Tahoe. And I just can't get over your commissioned work you had done of Madi!!! Wow.

      Delete
  35. Sounds like a fun road trip! In the past we have picked a state to explore. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,,it is a fun way, and not stressful with any time schedule...just to explore!!!

      Delete
  36. Yeah I agree about the ending of the movie Lincoln! And it sounds like a great road trip. Texas is so huge!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that it is...a massive state.

      Delete
  37. Hey, thanks for coming by the mosaic blog. I don't mind at all if you add it to your sidebar.

    I appreciate your praise.

    Ramona
    Broken Bit Mosaics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....Ramona, your work is sooooooo very impressive.

      Delete
  38. I am very intrigued...so am following you now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's wonderful news. I'll reciprocate and follow you also.

      Delete
  39. I do love visiting bloggers to the south. Much fun! And humour!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed it today Jennifer.

      Delete
  40. Your song choice of "I Will Always Love You" is one of my favorites, too.

    Your planned road trip, with Bud, sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be...and an ulterior motive other than seeing places we've passed by on other trips,===and migrant birds we haven't seen yet.

      Delete
  41. Love the birds' eyes. My mother made 2 owl pictures which she gave to my husband. They creep my children out because the eyes seem to follow them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that...they do have eerie eyes, those owls do!

      Delete
  42. I enjoyed the movie. Your road trip sounds like fun, just see where the wind takes you : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, I hope to see some new stuff while on this trip.

      Delete
  43. I, too, could eat salads every single day! I never get tired of them! I so love all of your bird pictures, Anni...keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty, when I don't make salads for our dinner, I think all night there is something missing. I'm addicted in a way I guess. Thanks for the positive commenting all the time April. I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  44. LOVE the alligator eyes!

    Thank you for The Wicked Witch of the West’s name! I love trivia notes. :)

    You should be a director, Anni. I like the artistic effect of fading to black when the viewer knows what’s happening and can’t stop it. Modern production goes beyond what should be the end of a movie giving up art for shock value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...in my thoughts, lingering to add minutes to a movie that does nothing for the composition just makes it all the more drug out!! Yep, I learned her 'name' from the book by McGuire.

      Delete
  45. Great collection of birds and such...I love your spring.. I can't wait to say hello to mine..as the snow falls here...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...still snowing? When will it end?!!!

      Delete
  46. Well the eyes have it :) Love all the assorted eye shots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....you're so clever and witty Ann.

      Delete
  47. I loved the kitty eyes! My last cat had one beautiful blue eye and one beautiful green eye...very unusual.

    It was extremely windy here tonight--there is a snowstorm in the mountains and they had about 18 inches of snow!

    I like your idea for a better ending for the movie for Lincoln. Sometimes movies are best when the things are left ot the imagination!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly...leave some to our imagination...works for me!!
      Hope you are staying warm. Those Spring mountain snowstorms can catch you off guard.

      Delete
  48. No itinerary and no reservations is my favorite kind of trip. I hate having to accomplish a certain amount of miles each day on a trip. Love the birds. The hawk and osprey are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, stop when we want, sight seeing or whatever...that is what we plan on doing this next trip. Glad you enjoyed the bird eye images this week Karen.

      Delete
  49. Fresh green peas carefully slipped out of their little pods, first veggie I ever handled as a child at age 4 and still enjoy peas, while many others do not, it just leaves more for me ;) Your banner image is so stunning, I really love that and all of your shares, always a fun visit~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mary. I too like peas...frozen, fresh, canned...pea soup, pea salad...any way they're served, I'll eat them. I like how you think...if no one else likes 'em...all the more for me. Yes indeed.

      Delete
  50. I tried to watch Lincoln but I fell asleep. I will have to try to watch it again when I'm more awake.

    ReplyDelete

.