MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




...It's Out of this World!!

What I mean is this:


With embedding permission from our local news station, I wanted to share this bit of news. The video requires Flash, so, if you can't view this, or if for some reason the video has been deleted from the news station site and unavailable, I'm sharing a blurb from the article online. If it piques your interest a little more, you can visit the website's article:
    CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) -A young woman living in Corpus Christi and attending Del Mar College has signed up to be a part of the first mission to Mars -- a one-way trip.
Now that you read a bit more or watched the video...what do YOU THINK of her aspirations?
no copyright infringement intended
 

Moving on...today is my birthday. And I don't mind telling at all, I am now 6 1/2....decades that is. I'll most likely not be online. Just gonna sit back and enjoy my day with Bud. Have no special plans except for my annual FRIED Shrimp Dinner; dining out. I really look forward to this since I don't eat fried food much on any other given time in the year. And I know I will enjoy it. Bud laughs at me craving this meal for 364 days...countdown and all. He can eat anything and never gain an ounce. Me? I just think of fried foods and pack on a pound or two. Oh well. What else the day will bring, I don't know. By the way, this image is of me and my mom. As far as I know it's the last one taken of me in Nebraska...the state I was born in...soon to be a Colorado resident for 40+ years.

Yes, as you know, lately the weather has been a big issue in my postings here at Hootin' Anni's ---it's been so very unusually cold. We've used the furnace this past couple of months MORE THAN the whole decade in the house combined. And I'm really not equipped in the wardrobe department for such freezing temps. Oh I have a coat...lightweight. I also have a fleece lined coat in the trunk of the car. I use it often when out walking lately. But I only have a small Longhorn stocking cap. It's okay...keeps the top of my head warm. But with very short hair, the stocking cap doesn't keep my neck warm. LOL So, I took a look in my huge basket of extra yarn skeins and pulled out a skein of variegated purple/magenta/blue yarn and made another cap. This one pattern I found online is called Bob Marley Slouch Cap. It's a very easy pattern, and works up quickly!!! Now that I have it completed, and readied for when I'm outdoors in the cold winds, Spring will arrive and I won't have any need for it. Isn't that the way things are? For me, always. I'm always a day late and a dollar short, which according to the idiom dictionary, it is me for sure: "late and ill-prepared".


In History the year I was born:

-Harry S. Truman was president
- A Series of winter storms in Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, Utah, Colorado and Nevada – winds of up to 72 mph – tens of thousands of cattle and sheep perish. Posted previously by me...on February 9, 2008 I shared this family portrait of the Blizzard of '49! "...The photo was taken on February 9th, 1949. The Day I Was Born. The county snowplows cleared the country roads so mom could get to the hospital to deliver. No, really that is true....my family was blessed with good country folk ready to lend a helping hand, and the county officials kept the snow drifts off the country roads into town for her!! In the photo [foreground], two of my uncles and the one with the shovel is my dad who left the hospital after I was born, to help clear the snow in the yard/walkways, off roof-tops and around the barns, etc.; with the help of many neighbors. Heavy snowfall, heavy scooping, but that morning, then - not so heavy mom! LOL [my dad's height was 5'10" ...] It's reported online here that before the blizzard of 1948 - 1949 ended, parts of my home state received over 100 inches of snow and drifts as high as 30 feet.
-Los Angeles, California receives its first recorded snowfall.
-The first Volkswagen Beetle to arrive in the United States
-The first Emmy Awards are presented.
-The 21st Academy Awards ceremony is held.
-The North Atlantic Treaty is signed in Washington, D.C., creating the NATO defense alliance.
-Albert II, a rhesus monkey, becomes the first primate to enter space.
-Howard Unruh, a World War II veteran, kills 13 neighbors in Camden, New Jersey with a souvenir Luger to become America's first single-episode mass murderer.
-Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific, starring Mary Martin and Ezio Pinza, opens on Broadway.


Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is bonny and blithe and good and gay.

48 comments :

  1. Happy Birthday Dear Anni! I loved the story of the snow storm. I'm sure your Mom was so thankful for good people to keep the roads open for her.
    Your hat pattern is very cute and looks like it will be warmer.
    I can't imagine going on that Mars trip! To go and never come back? Seems pretty crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mari. And yes, 'pretty crazy' is my thoughts on that too.

      Delete
  2. i don't know what day i was born on, so will have to google that fact.
    i think the girls is nuts to go to Mars and that by the time she is 31 not 21 she will change her mind.
    happy birthday and welcome to MEDICARE... woo hooo... I had fried shrimp/fish yesterday for our anniversarty. my 7 decades body doesn't like fried food any more, but i did it anyway and ate two tums. have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks. And LOL regarding welcome to Medicare. That's funny. I know, fried foods isn't a good thing, but hey...what the heck. Y'only live once.

      Delete
  3. google says i was born on Tuesday and a child of grace,just wishing i had been born on Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Anni! Enjoy your day and dinner, sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPP HAPPY����BIRTHDAY TO YOU DEAR ANNI AND WELCOME TO THE 6 1/2 I arrived last moth and thus far it is working out good for me.
    Hugs
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crazy little blocks were flowers for you.
      Hugs
      C

      Delete
    2. I have a lot to look forward to this year me thinks!! Thanks M&M

      Delete
    3. Ps....thanks for the flowers!

      Delete
  6. I wish you a happy birthday, and many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you so much Mersad.

      Delete
  7. Happy, happy birthday! Enjoy every bite of your birthday meal!
    I enjoyed the day in history and the snow photo...can't imagine that much snow.
    Love your hat too. My hair is short and my neck is always cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Mildred!!! For so many things.

      Delete
  8. Happy, happy birthday! Enjoy every bit of those shrimp. I don't know about that Mars thing- I thought about it when I first saw it and knew I could never do it. And yes, keep that head warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Shelly....she is definitely on a trip right now I think!! My opinion.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday Anni ... I love to read your blog and enjoy all the interesting pictures. My favorite special dinner is shrimp too.
    Thanks for stopping by Timeless Treasures with a nice comment.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure you're having a very happy birthday so I'll say I wish you many many more. One way trip to Mars? Nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula...and yes, NUTS indeed.

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday! Enjoy any special treatment you receive today.I will catch up to you in age in 4 months and two days.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ruth. In 4 months and two days, then, are you gonna retire?

      Delete
  12. Happy Birthday. I hope you enjoy your day and your dinner.
    As for the girl and the one way trip to Mars, sounds a bit crazy to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ann. And yes, I agree about the future Martian.

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday to one Aquarius to anther. I also have birthday as one of our president.."Lincoln"..opps did I let the cat out of the bag.
    I didn't see if there offering cocktail on flight to mars.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Dora. LOL about the cocktail.

      Delete
  14. Hey Happy Birthday! Enjoy your shrimp.

    That young woman who wants to go Mars. I don't know about her. I hope that she makes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Yogi. As for the girl...and Mars. She is out of this world crazy loco. LOL

      Delete
  15. Was your birthday yesterday, the 9th? That is Lorelei's birthday....anyway, happy belated birthday.

    You would not find me going to Mars--I about died of homesickness when I moved from Tennessee to Indiana. Can't imagine being that far from life as I have always known it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you Rose. As for the gal and Mars...I think she's crazy.

      Delete
  16. I must have been bony and brittle day. I was kind of a weakling! Back then anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I imagine it was in '49.

      Delete
  17. Hope you enjoyed your birthday. So glad you are part of this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Denise...and thank you kind heart!!

      Delete
  18. Happy birthday, Anni!! I hope you enjoy your fried shrimp--my personal seafood favorite. :) I can't imagine going a whole year not eating it, but I'm impressed with your discipline. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....It's a difficult thing to do...but I will if I can.
      Thanks Gail.

      Delete
  19. Happy Birthday Anni! Think we are about the same age! Shrimp dinner sounds awesome! Forget Mars, sometimes I think we are there already! Not us, but many are, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...LOL...there ARE some really odd people who could easily qualify for aliens of another world 'round here. If that is what you're implying. LOL

      thanks Nancy.

      Delete
  20. Happy birthday to you Anni! More power and enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very Happy birthday, Anni!!
    http://travelagent-india.blogspot.in/2014/02/experience-vivacious-mumbai-and-goa.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Belated Birthday, Anni! A fried shrimp dinner sounds delish! Yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy belated birthday, hope it was a great day!

    ReplyDelete

.