“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Wild Bird Wednesday Hodgepodge...



WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
Sidebar Linking
Thanks to Stewart for hosting...





WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
Sidebar Linking
Thanks to Joyce for hosting...

1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness. Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2014-
selfie, twerk/twerking, hashtag, Twittersphere, Mr. Mom, T-bone, ____on steroids, the suffixes-ageddon, and -pocalypse added to anything and everything, from the world of politics the words-intellectually/morally bankrupt and Obamacare, and from the world of sports the words-adversity and fan base
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add? Well, I just learned in the last Hodgepodge what selfie is, and I saw a bunch of photos online of our President taking 'selfies' in an article. Okay...so I'm tired of that word already. Obamacare...I wish it'd go away permanently!! Both the word and the laws pertaining to it!! And hashtag...dunno what that is at all --had to look it up on Google. Well, that explains it then, something to do with Twitter?!! I'm not a member, nor will I ever be. I'll leave the tweeting to the real birds!!!  Or Rockin' Robin.

2. What one unfinished project nags at you begging to be completed in this new year? There is a low spot in our side yard and it's always flooding during rains/neighbors watering heavily. I want to get some fill dirt and some sod...build it up in that area so we don't have a pond that attracts those nasty egg layin' mosquitoes!!

3. When did you last have a bowl of soup? What kind? Homemade or from a can? What's your favorite soup? Just last night for dinner. Bear Creek dried soup mix [it's kinda expensive, and a mix where you just add water, but the cost is well worth the extra tab, 'cause my favorite deli -Jason's Deli- serves it for $2.99 a cup / $3.99 a bowl!!]: Cheddar and Broccoli. Mighty delicious and oh so easy to prepare.


...and my favorite soup is my homemade Chili Verde. I was taught to make this by my sister in law of Mexican decent. It has the most delicious aroma when cooking in the slow cooker, and so fine and tasty!! She added pork loin chunks when she taught me, but I often add cubed chicken breast to mine instead. Served with homemade flour tortillas, and a salad with a salted margarita and you have a great meal.  Or sometimes, I thicken the Chili Verde and make a hot spicy burrito sauce as shown.

4. Snowed in, snowed under, snow job...which one most applies to your life in recent days, figuratively speaking. Actually none. But if I had to choose, I guess it would be snowed in 'cause it's too darned cold in 'recent days' to do much of anything or go anywhere. I know, I know...I grew up with decades of frigid Colorado winters...but being acclimated to the subtropical Texas coast, I get chilled at 60 degrees or below.

5. What's the funniest movie you've ever seen, or at least one of the funniest? I think it'd be a toss up between, Cold Turkey and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World. I like 'em both quite a lot. I remember COLD TURKEY starring Dick Van Dyke [directed by Norman Lear]. It was about an entire community that quits smoking for a cash prize...cold turkey. And the bad habit is replaced by so many other bad habits throughout the town making for a good comedy.  Trust me...you probably have never heard of it. It's at least 40 years ago it was released. As for It's a Mad....World, the cast of characters is astounding, and the "Big W" they're all looking for...I FOUND IT!! It's on Mustang Island, just a few minutes' drive from home. Some day I'm gonna stop on the highway when I have my shovel in the trunk I have my camera out and get a picture of it!!

6. In general, would you say you're clumsy? No, not at all. My equilibrium is just that...balanced. And I probably would say that for both mental and physical. And I'm not being snooty by putting this down in my answer to the question!! I'm just a happy lady for the most part for mental equilibrium and luckily, well balanced physically. Where I would get clumsy, most, would be on the dance floor. I used  to step on my partner's feet a lot. ;-)

7. Elvis Presley was born on Hodgepodge Day (January 8th) back in 1935. Are you an Elvis fan? What's your favorite Elvis tune? If that's too hard, which Elvis tune do you dislike the least? I wasn't much of a fan of his persona, or I never ogled over his looks like so many teenage girls back then, but some of his songs were very good. I really liked, and still like "If I Could Dream". The first time I saw him perform this was 1968!! And my favorite line from the song is is bold, italic text [below]. I believe those words with my soul...
    There must be lights burning brighter somewhere Got to be birds flying higher in a sky more blue If I can dream of a better land Where all my brothers walk hand in hand Tell me why, oh why, oh why can't my dream come true There must be peace and understanding sometime Strong winds of promise that will blow away All the doubt and fear If I can dream of a warmer sun Where hope keeps shining on everyone Tell me why, oh why, oh why wont that sun appear We're lost in a cloud With too much rain We're trapped in a world That's troubled with pain But as long as a man has the strength to dream He can redeem his soul and fly Deep in my heart there's a tremblin' question Still I am sure that the answer gonna come somehow Out there in the dark, there's a beckoning candle And while I can think, while I can talk While I can stand, while I can walk While I can dream, please let my dream Come true, right now


8. Insert your own random thought here.  Not only is it Elvis Presley's birthday, but it's also my niece's birthday...she's finally of legal age...50 something!!  [insert wink]  On the 7th, her older brother had a birthday...I remember the event like it was yesterday.  Our family had a birthday party dinner for Big D [nephew], and as all of us ladies in the family were cleaning up afterward, my sister-in-law went into labor with Ms. K [niece]...she was born shortly after midnight the following morning on the 8th!! [this post is published early on the 7th, but I pre-dated for Wednesday on this section]

92 comments :

  1. Your bird collage is so beautiful!
    I think it's too cold for the birds to be out in my area..My feeders stay empty for days, so this was nice to see..
    Happy birthday to your niece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the cardinal you spotted in Ohio is an awesome image too!!

      Delete
  2. I like your well-put-together collage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your kestrel images today too EG!!

      Delete
  3. Lovely bird shots Anni. I love that red head duck. Your soup looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it IS very good if I say so myself. Both the Broccoli mix AND the chili. Thanks Karen.

      Delete
  4. We have never had the Red Head Duck on our lake, though they could have been during migration and I just didn't see them. I have seen them in Wisconsin and in Nebraska ... they are really cool characters. I thought the Curlew was a west coast bird so I was surprised to see you have them in Texas as well ... very nice pictures. Of course you can't go wrong with the Cardinal ... he is always a beauty and your Starlings are the same but different than ours ... it's the long tail. Great set of pictures , Hootin' Annie ... love your Hodgepodge too. You are a lot of fun so I believe you when you say you are balance ... and that is a good thing :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, our starlings have short tails also, this was a grackle. And we do have quite a few curlews along the shores!! Thanks Andrea. Your feedback is always so positive and appreciated.

      Delete
  5. Cardinals are gorgeous this time of year. I'm a huge fan of the color red there can never be too much red in my world.

    We love soup here. I'm reading Porch Light by Dorothea Benton Frank. A few days ago Annie one of the character was making
    Okra and Tomato Soup. I had never heard of it so of course I goggled it. I made it last weekend and it is most delicious I also made a batch of corn bread.
    Thank you for you kind bday wishes
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okra? Ummmm, I guess it'd be okay in a soup. LOL
      Enjoy that special day Ms. C!!!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful bird collage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This time of year my favorite soup would be chili. Great looking bird shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like chili too...texas style!! ;-)

      Delete
  8. The birds are so lovely and your share of questions were quite entertaining...I would love to answer each of them, but just one for now. Soup...we had plain old, yet very good tomato soup yesterday with plain old, but very yummy grilled cheese ;) Happy week~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...tomato soup and grilled cheese are a hardy meal on a cold winter's day!! [or night]

      Delete
  9. I really need to get out to your area for some birding! Lucky you got the curlew!! How awesome. We've had tortilla soup two nights in a row. Perfect for this frigid blast. I agree on all points with the Obamacare thing. As a small business owner, it's like having two car payments now and we don't get much for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, Obamacare ...ick! I can't understand why so many think it's a good thing when the cost of premiums have doubled and so many doctors are not accepting patients when it is supposed to be just the opposite!! Along with some thinking they're getting affordable care, when in fact it's much more costly than other insurance. And as for tortilla soup, that sounds delish!!

      Delete
  10. Awesome collage!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. those birds are fantastic... the beach bird is awesome.. great photography skills on these. i would love to see all the curse words removed, i am so sick of F and S and GD and all the filth that is in all the movies. as for selfie, my post today is a fake selfie...
    as a joke of course...
    we laughed ourselves silly at RV and The Gods Must Be Crazy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh me too Sandra!!! Those 'four letter words' in movies...I think it's all geared toward the younger ones, and perhaps the writers can't cope without putting them in the script!!! You and me both. Banish swear words altogether!!

      Delete
  12. The birds are just gorgeous. Thank you for sharing about the soup mix. I am going to try to find that. Too cold for us here in GA today, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll like it!! It's so creamy. It's even good [maybe better] when reheated!!!

      Delete
  13. Well... hi there and thanks for stopping by for a visit:) It is SO cold here and I am enjoying staying in! I love the Bear Creek soup. I have tried several of them and haven't had a bad one yet! Enjoy your day and stay warm! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I'm stuck in the cheesy soups right now, but yes, I've tried others from Bear Creek. Just as good, I agree.

      Delete
  14. ... I have heard of many of these "please ban these" words... yet, some I have not a clue what they mean. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me either. It's important to get priorities set and finding words to ban isn't one on my list. LOL

      Delete
  15. Dear Anni, Oh, I could go on and on....Well, I think a very overused word is awesome. Oh, it seems everything these days is "awesome".
    I suppose to work on my blog and my Avon.

    Very cold here. Not snowed in at the moment, but "cold" in!!!

    I love the Peter Sellers movies!

    Yes, I am clumsy!!

    I am an Elvis fan. Love Me Tender. I don't have a dislike. I know that is silly.

    I pray for a blessed year for all.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I too love Peter Sellers movies!!!

      Delete
  16. that redhead is so handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Anni, I had soup for lunch today. It is homemade bean soup. I love soup. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bean soup is good and hardy!!!

      Delete
  18. Now I'm in trouble. I accidentally dleted your comment to my blog Anni so I put it back as my own! So much for "smart" phones - think I'll go back to a push button or tweets.

    I really fancy some of that chilli soup of yours if you can send some, but with you being a terrorist I'm not sure it would get past UK Customs.

    If not I'll rustle up some Bean and Chorizo - the dogs doodahs. Well recommended

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. too funny Phil!!! As I tell Bud, smartphones are only as smart as the one operating it!!! You and he would get along really well. [kidding]

      Delete
  19. Love the variety of colours in your bird collage. The birds look as if they are part of a bird carnival. And enjoyed your HodgePodge responses too. Cheddar and broccoli soup sounds like a wonderful idea on this cold summer day of ours on my peninsula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...soup is good for me, even on the hottest of days!!!

      Delete
  20. Wonderful birds! Soup is great on a cold day with some good bread. My favorite is pea soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, hot bread broiled to a golden brown with ooey gooey butter...a tasty treat!!

      Delete
  21. I loved that old "Cold Turkey" movie, too. Just thinking about it makes me smile. I think the funniest movie I ever saw was "All of Me" -- Lili Tomlin and Steve Martin. Your bird pictures are, as always, stunning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'd like anything with Lili Tomlin!!!

      Delete
  22. Well I like your answers and your photos of the birds. I like you have no snow - but it sure is cold here. How about you? Stay warm! sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, it's COLD here too.

      Delete
  23. Love your bird collage, is that a Curlew up top? I have been eating hearty Tomato can soup. As far as homemade goes, I am a big fan of my own Maryland Crab soup, YUM! Stay warm and have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not had MD. Crab soup...but I do LOVE New England Clam Chowder...anything like it?

      Delete
  24. All those words they attach those poor suffixes to can't be gone soon enough for me! And what a great memory of her birth- truly unforgettable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get the interest in making words up in the first place. What's wrong with good ol' plain English?!!!! Yes, she hears about this every year. LOL

      Delete
  25. More great bird shots! I agree with you on the words to banish and I also would love the whole Obamacare system to go away. We're seeing troubles already.
    Your soup looks wonderful! We're having homemade chicken noodle soup tonight. Soup is perfect for the weather we've been having. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like, very much, chicken noodle soup!!! And being that the weather IS so nasty, it sounds heavenly.

      Delete
  26. great and thank you for sharing!!!! Yes that is the tree, GOOSE ISLAND thank you for that, it was driving me crazy, I love that old tree.

    blessings my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Goose Island!!! And I believe the tree is named, personally, if I recall. But for the life of me, I can't think of it.

      Delete
  27. We sure do agree on #2!! I enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too have a low spot in your yard?!!! Around here, we know about it for years, but always fail to get anything done about it.

      Delete
  28. Great photos! Love the curlew!

    ReplyDelete
  29. HI Annni Good collage of the 4 birds.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Me too, I love your collage of those beautiful birds.
    Your soup sounds delicious, now I am hungry! have a lovely day, Anni

    ReplyDelete
  31. I had to look up 'selfie' when Joyce asked weeks ago about it. Love the bird pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us on the 'selfie'!! Thanks Tammy.

      Delete
  32. Sign me up for some of that Chili Verde.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you got it!!! One Chili Verde for Yogi!!!

      Delete
  33. I think Dick Van Dyke is one of those actors who make you smile when you see him. There is humor there, and you can see it. We've had some gorgeous cardinals here, up against the white snow backdrop-beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, there is nothing like a cardinal in the snow!!!

      Delete
  34. The chili verde sounds good...but so does that margarita that goes with it! I've heard of "Cold Turkey", but have never seen it...I'll have to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the margarita is the topping on the cake so to speak...delicious with the chili. It's an old movie, you may find it on Amazon?!!!

      Delete
  35. Our answers to #1, of the Hodgepodge, were the same!
    I've never heard of the movie, Cold Turkey, but I can just imagine it could be a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the movie is very funny. a classic

      Delete
  36. I so agree with you on #1, and your chili verde sounds fantastic! Stay warm. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you're enjoying your new home and winter snows Jill!!!

      Delete
  37. I agree totally with all of your comments but the use of the word "veggie" really irks me - and I think "selfies" are are a low class expression of vanity. They are offensive in my way of thinking. Opinionated me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not opinionated at all...just true to your heart. That's what counts.

      Delete
  38. I love Bear Creek soup mix. I use it quite often. It is good and makes me feel like I have actually cooked. Loved the birds today. I have been having some bird issues of late. One tried to get in my house the night the temperatures were so low...and I dreamed a crow was nesting in my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness...a crow nesting in your bedroom would be considered a nightmare for me. Now you have me wondering how to interpret this?!!!

      Delete
  39. Great collection of birds. I certainly agree with that collection of words to eliminate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I think most of us would like to see 'em gone!!

      Delete
  40. Some fun things here. I enjoyed reading them. Also your bird photos are pretty. I agree about some of those words. I hate (hashtag) and the "twerking" - what is that anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you're more up on things than I am it seems, I don't know what twerking is either.

      Delete
  41. You are a pistol, Anni!

    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as in good? Or rotten? roflmao.

      Delete
  42. I love the photos of the birds. I enjoyed reading your list of words to eliminate. I agree with this listing. I hope you are staying warm and well. We are having very cold weather here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Brenda. I enjoyed reading your poetry...the lone tree.

      Delete
  43. Elvis won 3 Grammys for his gospel albums. Love the photos as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the photos!!

      Delete
  44. Gorgeous birds, Anni . My favorite soup is watercress soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, I have never had watercress soup before. I must see if I can find how to make it.

      Delete
    2. Yes, It sounds interesting. I like watercress sandwiches with mayo on rye. It grows along a feeder stream to our lake.

      Delete
    3. ...love me some rye bread.

      Delete
  45. Your bird shots are always lovely; but your hodgepodge answers are such a delight!

    ReplyDelete

.