“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





I'm bored...'what's there to do?' ---

WEDNESDAY Nature Notes & Wild Birds...
Thanks to Stewart hosting WBW and Michelle with Nature Notes [see sidebar links]


With boredom overtaking me the other day;  a day filled with rain, I took out my sketch pad. This time, a Yellow Billed Cuckoo [often heard but rarely seen]...





...Like the Black-billed Cuckoo, the young Yellow-billed Cuckoo develops very quickly. The entire period from egg laying to fledgling leaving the nest lasts only 17 days. On day six or seven after hatching, the feathers of the young burst out of their sheaths, allowing the nestling to become fully feathered in two hours. Read more...


On the island at Packery Channel's Oak Motte, I spotted one that flew into a small tree sapling a good distance from the gazebo. Tho I zoomed in on it as best I could, it still is quite hidden...





WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
Thanks for our host, Joyce, for these questions this week [see sidebar links]


1. What's one thing that's still the same about you as when you were young?
Well, I've never had a blood transfusion, does that mean my blood is still the same?  Probably not, but it's still the same blood  type ---oh, and my eye color. Still Blue the last time I checked.

2. What's more important-history or science? Why? I've always argued with Bud about History. Written History that is. In my opinion, composed History is closer to fiction than we think!!! It's true!! Just read anything in your History books, and or newspaper articles from years ago at your library...or even go to LDS and check out any record of families. Names wrong, dates wrong, other things that were written have been proven incorrect in recent times. A reported article is only through the eyes of the columnist....take a story that was witnessed and have it circle around the area and come back to you....it's totally different than from the beginning. But you asked what's more important----I'd say Science. Altho Science is an experimental 'history' of trials, look what Science has done for just about everything you do and use in today's times ---from health issues/cures right down to the everyday things you utilize --i.e., washing machines, dryers, light bulbs...even toothpaste. My opinion.  Oh, and by the way...history states that Thomas Edison invented the light bulb when in actuality, he didn't... they'd already been in existence for years prior to Edison's patent date.  So you see, history shows he was the inventor, when in all instances he was the first to PERFECT the bulb some seven decades after  its invention.   Read more...

3. Lima, kidney, string, garbanzo, black or pinto-your favorite bean? I like 'em all actually. My favorite way of serving them I guess it would have to be string beans --- With bacon bits.

4. What's something people come to your town to do? The biggest attraction would probably be....surfing. Or Deep Sea Fishing.

5. When was the last time you were in a meeting? Sum it up for us in five words or less. Business, years ago, at work!!!

6. What special event would you like a VIP pass to attend? Here's one I've been thinking of a lot lately [with our governmental mess these days]...what I'd like to see, and be a witness to, would be a change in our way of electing president/vice president. Centuries ago, the man with the most votes was 'elected' president. The 2nd highest votes was then vice president...no matter which party!!! That means you could have a president that was let's say...Democrat. And then the runner up could be a Republican...I think things would change for the better going back to those 'olden days'. And I would like to be there for that change to witness the signing of this event!!

7. What's one piece of advice you'd give a writer? Never give up?!!! And hire an editor that actually can READ and KNOW proper grammar. So many times, reading...there are typos, misspellings, and grammatical errors. That bugs the heck outta me. And I think today, them 'editors' rely on spell check! LOL Question: Did you see the grammatical error here? And Spell Check didn't catch it!!

8. Insert your own random thought here. Color me excited!! Sunday Bud and I went birding, and we spotted, [and I got two great photos of the bird before it flew off to areas unknown] - a 'rare' bird!!! Yay!! I have the photos on my camera card still, but plan to get them uploaded and re-sized so I can get it published/posted on my birding photo blog soon!!! It's a beautiful [male]...tiny bird!!  Did I mention it is a rare bird in these parts?  Rare, not seen through the whole of USA..... except, according to the habitat map, breeding in AZ [only ONE confirmed report] and parts of Texas [less than a dozen confirmed sightings since records have been kept].  But, for the most part, the confirmations of Texas are reportedly only in the Southern Rio Grande Valley...about a three hour drive from home.  Their habitat range is Old Mexico and South America.  Yet, Sunday, Bud and I only drove 15 miles to a birding area just outside town here, and spotted one.  Cool beans!!

82 comments :

  1. Morning Anni one thing for sure when you are bored you are much more creative than I am. Bravo on yet another beautiful sketch. Never ever give up is a motto to live by too
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a thumb size spot in the upper right corner we have no idea what it is...any ideas? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it!!! Guess I was more interested in the cat in the window tho.

      Delete
  3. Hi Anni, I love that you love birding, sketching and correct grammar. It must be wonderful to live in a coastal area. When we are able to visit the Outer Banks, I never want to go back "inland." There's a magical sense of freedom for my soul there. Have a great week and enjoy those times when everything seems still and nothing much is happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a 'magical sense of fredom'....yes, that most definitely describes the way I feel also.

      Delete
  4. So beautiful... I love it, congratulations, have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your random hodge podge Anni... have a wonder-filled day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura...and I hope you're feeling better this morning, and things work out for the best for you, medically.

      Delete
  6. How exciting to have seen that rare bird. Not going to tell me the name, huh? I love your pretty sketch, BTW. You have definitely got talent. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks DJan. And as for the name of the bird?--------you'll have to wait for it [the photo] to be published. I know, I know, I'm a tease.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful shots and I like the sketch very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your drawing is just gorgeous.

    And I agree with you on the presidential end.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Pearl!! I really enjoyed your training/Dolly post today.

      Delete
  9. I was surfing through your blog this morning and got caught by your comment on science history - followed a link and discovered the UnMuseum, read the article about Edison and the light bulb and ended up ordering Ira Flatow's book "They All Laughed." It will go to my geeky 13 year old grandson, after I read it. Thanks for such a satisfying surfing trip. You have a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh and the age of your grandson it'll be a perfect read, I'm sure!!!!

      Delete
  10. Oh your sketch is fabulous Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  11. a great sketch. i love seeing these birds here - except when they smack into the windows...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. luckily, no windows around. Well, not while I was there anyway. I may have darted toward the homes out yonder.

      Delete
  12. Love the cuckoo... another bird we've seen only in TX (right where you were in fact).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously?!!! I swear I've only seen one...for sure. And perhaps a 2nd one...but that 2nd one was there, by the time I got the camera up to my face, it was gone.

      Delete
  13. I like your sketch. You are very good at that.
    One thing that hasn't changed about me since I was young is my first and middle name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ........well now, how clever you are to think of that!!! Wish I'd thought of that...I coulda had a V8 this morning.

      Delete
  14. In two years of birding I saw the yellow-billed cuckoo once and was able to get a halfway decent shot. Have not heard or seen him since. I think you did well to get these two photos. They're very secretive birds which fascinates me all the more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're actually very pretty....it's the tail I'd like to get in the photo...not just the hidden tail, but the markings. Someday.

      Delete
  15. So you backed into a gas pump OR a highway patrol? I tend to read what people intended to write,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rofl....nope, it was a pole. And notice that is NOT capitalized; from Poland.

      Delete
  16. glad you found me. I've been looking for you. Do you know how many ways there are to spell hootin annie? Hoot N Annie, HootandIny, Hoot and Andy, Hooting Annie, Hoot in Andrew, Hoot Indy,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not to mention hootenanny!!! ;o)

      I'm not hard to find, it's just that I may be a difficult one at times. Or so I've been told.

      Delete
  17. Anni, I love your Cuckoo sketch, well done! They are cool birds, I was happy to see them here. Great post, thanks for sharing. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thanks Eileen. Hope you're enjoying your time...birding!!!

      Delete
  18. I can't wait to see your rare bird!! Maybe a hummingbird? You draw just beautifully!!! I totally agree on the bean dish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ginny. I can honestly say, no...it's not a hummingbird. ;i)

      Delete
  19. what a beautiful piece of artwork. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the compliment!!!

      Delete
  20. I absolutely love that sketch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks! Glad you enjoyed viewing my sketch.

      Delete
  21. You are so talented - I must admit to a bit of jealousy.
    I agree with your voting idea! Can't wait to see your rare bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of then. I wish something would be done with this government these days.

      Delete
  22. very pretty sketch Anni. Inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think the thing that has changed the least in me, is that I like to make people laugh. A bit of a comedian at school and nothing has changed!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's good...isn't it? Laughter is healthy.

      Delete
  24. How awesome that you spotted a rare bird! I would have loved that! Chris and I keep talking about going to some popular birding areas around here, but we just can't seem to find the right time yet. I love your sketch, Anni! A talented photographer and an artist, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birding is fun....and great exercise if you stick to it for an hour or two.

      Delete
  25. Nice drawing of the bird looks like that fills the spot for when your bored.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous sketch-so talented! Totally agree with you on #2. Most of the time when people read history they believe it is true, but if they do a little digging they find out how incorrect history (especially textbooks) can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. text books, I agree...and quite a few biographies written by others.

      Delete
  27. Can't wait to see your rare bird. Loved your sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'd kind of like voting to be that way again, too. It's too confusing the way it is now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...too one sided and then Congress becomes so also!!

      Delete
  29. I look so forward to seeing your bird shots. I think I visit your hodge podge answers....just to check out the birds. What area do you live in? It looks like the gulf coast...is it? Maybe near Sanibel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Karen....btw....I'm in Corpus Christi.

      Delete
  30. Loved your thoughts and ideas for question #6 of the Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it worked long ago, I don't see why it couldn't work these days to keep from having such a biased government.

      Delete
  31. No wonder you don't come around my blog anymore. I'm sure my blog has tons of mistakes. You should have sat in on one of my English classes in my small hometown. Oh I know I could have had help when I got out of there but I was busy doing other things. lol I used to go to Corpus Christi on a lot of day trips with a group from a hospital. I liked the dog races but maybe it wasn't a good thing for the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...nah, that's not the reason at all Paula. I just needed to shorten my time online these days.

      PS...I don't think the dog track is even open any longer.

      Delete
  32. Your sketch is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. your bird art is amazing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Conny. I can't seem to find your blog tho...with your link it takes me to "no profile shared" :o(

      Delete
  34. I would love to be that creative and talented..Love the drawing and the photos. Thank you for linking into Nature Notes Anni... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for hosting NN Michelle.

      Delete
  35. I am not sure how I feel about the Pres-VP, but it would certainly be interesting : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...from reading about it, it really worked well, 'cause there was no 'majority' senate/congress.

      Delete
  36. If birding is looking for, finding and identifying birds, does flowering mean the same thing? Just a thought. I go flowering. Nice sketch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks....
      Yep, you just keep on flowering!!!

      Delete
  37. Replies
    1. Hi Denise...thanks...and, hope you'll be feeling much better soon.

      Delete
  38. My Dad loves looking for birds. Each time he's come for a visit we sit in the same spot looking for this particular bird that he just has to have a photo of. It's like the bird knows it and won't give him a good shot! I walked past the same bird and snapped several photos which I'll turn into a Christmas present for him. I know he won't accept them as HIS photos, but I hope he'll love them. I love birding with my pops! Can't wait to see your neat and rare bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....it's a fun time...especially when you spot a bird you haven't already and get so excited. I'm sure he'll appreciate what you're doing for him with the photos!!

      Delete
  39. That's such a beautiful sketch, you are quite an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  40. You have a lovely talent their Anni, wish I was able to sketch. Lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  41. I agree with you about the election for President. I think our Vice president should be elected by the people, also, not chosen by the Presidential candidate/party. After all, he would be President if something happened to the main guy and therefore his office is just as important.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous2/24/2014

    Hi Anni,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I never really put much thought into the difference between history and science. You made a great point. I was always under the assumption that Edison was the inventor of the light bulb but then I ran across this article. I really recommend reading it. Here there link: Learn About the History of Light Bulbs

    ReplyDelete

.