my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




"The Woody Woodpecker Show"...starring:

The Golden-Fronted Woodpecker....


WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
and NATURE NOTES

....mainly indigenous to the state of Texas. And, we see quite a few in our own backyard while hearing them and their callings throughout the neighborhood. On a gray, overcast day, there was a couple. A male [the one with the red spot] and a female [lacking the red] at our hummingbird feeder. I usually put out orange halves for them, as they, along with orioles, like oranges. But being that it was raining, I failed to get out there to replenish the fresh fruit. The panoramic image [top images...enlarge for full effect] I share shows you the nature of the 'peckers ---the female allows the male to fill up first...she waits on the fence until he leaves...then she takes her turn---



 All three images were taken through the door and screen.

_ _ _* * * _ _ _


WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE

1. July 24th is Amelia Earhart Day. Earhart was the first female to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. What's something you've recently accomplished solo? I just recently matted and framed my osprey drawing and hung it up on the wall.

2. What's one product you use that never ever fails? Well, the first thing that came to mind was Windex. Throughout my years, this is one tried and true product with so many multiple purposes in keeping everything from glass to counter-tops, refrigerator doors, etc. clean; with ease. Another cleaning product that flashed my brain just now is: "The Works" T.B. cleaner...fabulous...it does work wonders.

3. Have you found your place in the world? Where is it? Right here...in my wolf proof house of brick. In the great state of Texas. I wasn't born here, but I got here as quickly as I could.

4. Worst movie you ever saw? Oh this is easy. The Verdict, starring Paul Newman. I was all set [years ago] to see the handsome man with the famous blue eyes in a court room drama. After about 15 minutes, I was ready to leave. Within those few minutes, the "F" word was spoken from the script at least 100 times. [maybe a slight exaggeration, but it was way too many for me!]. And it didn't let up. The whole movie wasn't much of anything. It coulda been soooooo much better! I only saw it once and I can still remember it precisely...it was the worst ever. All because of the language. The writers of the script didn't have much of an IQ if you want my opinion.

5. What's the last fun thing you did? Sunday, tho it was a weekend trip that we tend to shy away from because of summertime traffic [and that held true this past weekend...bumper to bumper traffic on the island; on the way back to Corpus!] ---We had spotted "a lifer" for the both of us!! Lifer being a certain bird on our list to spot. I took 120+ photos. The two birds, a female [we're presuming it was the mama] and an immature bird, put on quite an aerial show for us...flying and soaring silently directly above us where we first spotted them. [We also spotted some baby chicks that I've been hoping to see this season ever since June...and we were told that some unusual terns were seen on the beaches in this particular area...we drove there also after seeing the two lifers...and they were there as reported. Fun outing. Treacherous heat.

6. The month of July is named for Roman Emperor Julius Caesar...ever been to Rome? What's your favorite Italian dish? No, I've only been to Rome through text...and I've read and re-read Shakespeare's Julius Caesar!! "Et tu, Bruté"? I want to say my favorite Italian dish is Pizza, but that wasn't even its origin. The word pizza is actually Latin and history shows that a flatbread dish, most descriptive of what the American version of pizza is today, was from Greece. My favorite Italian entreé would be lasagna or even manicotti [Cannelloni].
[image courtesy of Google Search]

7. What is one piece of advice you'd offer new mom Kate Middleton? Right now...tho I was disappointed that the newborn wasn't a girl....I wanted the baby to be named after Princess Diana!! :::sigh::: --- I would say, "Pick out some GOOD, strong, worthy, royal, names for the future king"!!! Imagine if you will, being the mother of a king. Whoa.

8. Insert your own random thought here. While out on the 'net the other day, I was searching for a particular image of the cake mix box for one of my posts.   And I confess, I am guilty of borrowing images myself ... those kinds that I don't have in any of my image folders on my computer...Within the Google Images listed on the search engine's I found one of my own photos I had posted a while ago on the page of thumbnails...I didn't care for it, 'cause it was one of my own grandson...making a cake from a cake mix!! Tho my daughter posts her mobile photos taken off her phone on her own FB page so I can view them, I didn't like the idea that Google shares them with anyone. The security of her family is a priority since her abusive husband [ex] was such a 'family threat' at one time. I try to keep family photos [especially the minors-children that are underage], etc. off the grid if I can. Even tho Irene seems to not mind. I do. Which instigated some simple HTML on my blog's template to be added! It's a simple line of text that will secure your images you post of family [any photos actually] OFF the search engines. When Google or Bing or any search engine on the 'net crawls websites, the images can be utilized. If you've ever went out in search of a flower image or the like, and typed into the search subject line "Photos of Red Roses"...you then get a slew of rose images [also, if you're lucky I guess] you may view in this page of results faces of girls named Rose, etc. Anyway...to keep your image shares off the web crawlers ---

in the < head > section of your template's html add this meta tag:
<*meta name="robots" content="noimageindex" / *>
[without the *s--take out the asterisks!]

You'll find out how and where to place it by reading further...

If you wish to keep your entire blog from being crawled by search engines, or perhaps the text only, etc....you can add just about any directive meta tag. READ MORE...


After this coding is added to your blog's template text ---search engines will no longer crawl your site. It's not 100% safe, but it will secure your site's family image shares to a greater level.

84 comments :

  1. Great shots of the woodpeckers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the woodpeckers, though I guess the males aren't too chivalrous. Your osprey drawing is fabulous- you have such talent! I remember The Verdict, and our verdict was the same as yours~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Shelly!!! I've missed you. Hope you're feeling okay. I know you spent some time in the ER and overnight....

      Delete
  3. I was pleased that the baby was finally born and all is well, but I too would have liked a girl! I enjoyed reading the entire post, but that part I had to comment on! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...no matter, I just enjoy your company DJan.

      Delete
  4. Cool shots! I did't know they liked oranges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....they do. And sometimes, the way the rip at them, I think they like 'em better than bugs. LOL

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed seeing the photos of the Woodpecker....never seen that one before but it is similar in size to the Yellow-bellied one we have. As for the female waiting on the male, I do the same thing: I tell Honey Bear that dinner is ready and let him serve himself first. We usually eat in the living room, seated in our recliners.
    I don't like my photos being out there for anyone to view, either. Thanks, Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Bud and I eat in front of the TV...pop in a video and relax afterward.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful woodpeckers!! I'm curious I thought the male was a red bellied but the female red bellied we have does not have yellow..so I'm guessing these must be Sapsuckers? Very pretty.
    I agree about naming the future king...maybe #2 will be a girl named Diana...
    Hugs madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and hugs right backatcha M&M

      Delete
  7. I love the woodpeckers and enjoy seeing them come to the feeders. Loved your shots! I agree about the movie, the language was awful. They could tone down the language in many movies, imo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes!!! I so agree with you on the language!!

      Delete
  8. Ajax never fails me....takes black marks off white shoes...or off white linoleum....scrubs the scum off the tub and sink....takes stains off my countertop. I have never had it not work! (I cannot say the same about Comet!)

    Worst movie ever for me was The Corsican Brothers...going back to the 80's for this one...had Cheech and Chong...we got up and LEFT after paying to get into the movie....after about 15 minutes. STUNK! Second worst was The Great Panda Adventure. My boys and I had looked forward to it coming out. My daughter had gone, too. We paid for 4 of us to see it at the theater....we were all so bored after about 20 minutes, we looked at each other and asked, "You wanna' go?" "YEP" It was awful!!! And it was rated G! As far as the movie with the most foul language...it had to be Me, Myself, and Irene. I took my two boys when they were ten and seven...they adored Jim Carey. I didn't know it was rated R until I got there with them. I asked the kid in the ticket booth if it was suitable for my kids and he said yes...so we went in. I was appalled at the language...and my ten year old son was counting the number of times they used the F word alone....he was sure it was way over 100. I would have guess more like 500. The movie itself was funny....but the language was inexcusable. I don't know why they feel the need to insert so much foul language into ANY movie. I never hear someone just spouting off curse word after curse word in real life. Do you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, never saw that movie, in fact never heard of it. LOL And as for the language, I've heard a few teens in lines at the movies waiting to get tickets that talk like that....but not MY generation. LOL

      Delete
  9. A beautiful bird to see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed it Andrew

      Delete
  10. I could never took pictures of a woodpecker. This bird is always in motion. And you took a fantastic picture of this beautiful bird. That is amazing and so wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, cool golden-fronted! neat bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...quickly becoming a favorite of mine

      Delete
  12. My money (If I was a bettting man) would be George but i don't mind if they call the kid Philip after me. Love your miscellaneous thoughts Anni. My worse ever movie would be Mama Mia by the cast ruining all those Abba songs and not showing any real bits of Greece (Skiathos).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...Prince Phillip has a nice 'ring' to it!

      Delete
  13. Those Woodpeckers are beautifully colored. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos of the woodpeckers!
    I have never had any in my garden!
    Greetings Pia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's nice to know you enjoyed my photo shares Pia.

      Delete
  16. Someone needs to tell the female woodpecker that she doesn't have to play second fiddle to the guy any more....lol
    Good info on keeping your pictures out of the searches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...my thoughts exactly. Why patronize your own man?!! That's not doing HIM any good. Right?

      Delete
  17. Have never seen a Golden Fronted Woody Woodpecker ... they are very beautiful though he is not so gracious. But, I think I have observed this behavior with our Downy's as well. Must be something to do with Woodpeckers. Anyway enjoyed the entire post ... as I am not very techy I was a bit confused, though interested, with your crawling search engine cure. I will copy the information and see if I can figure it out. Enjoyed my visit ... thanks for coming to see me as well ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the 'new' birds then; for you. And thank you for stopping by to repay my visit.

      Delete
  18. Great shots of the woodpecker! It is a beauty! Thanks for sharing the info on the search engines and photos. Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful shots of the bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you kindly Rajesh

      Delete
  20. love the 'pecker, and big compliments on your drawing of the Osprey; excellent. You must get a ot of enjoyment from relaxing with drawing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do enjoy drawing. And thanks Carole.

      Delete
  21. Nice shots Anni, its interesting for me as this bird is new to me.
    Take care Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Gordon. And believe it or not, YOU helped me ID a bird YOU posted in photos.

      Delete
  22. Nice shots of the woodpeckers.

    I don't really worry too much about images being copied anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do...when it comes to family photos!!! Especially with our ex son-in-laws history of violence.

      Delete
  23. I love your framed sketch of the osprey. They are one of my favourite birds anyway (they were an endangered species here in the UK until recently), but to see one drawn so beautifully is brilliant. Thank you for sharing it (and I hope it doesn't end up on a Google search one day!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....the only way now is if someone 'kipes' it off my blog. The search engines won't find it. LOL

      And thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  24. I did like the story of The Verdict though...I like to see injustice averted. Your drawing is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even remember anything about the movie but the language being so atrocious

      Delete
  25. Thanks for the tip about posting pictures of family on the internet. We don't participate in facebook because I don't consider it secure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's what happens when it's raining. Nice that you have these clever chaps visit your yard, just a pity the girls behave in such a subservient way and miss out on all the best bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I know, mother nature just can't handle us liberated gals.

      Delete
  27. Enjoyed your answers today. I love to read and see how different everyone's answers are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as I enjoy you stopping by to visit.

      Delete
  28. Thank-you for your info on how to secure images. I also don't like seeing my pictures come up in google search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...and with toddlers, it's kinda scary.

      Delete
  29. Great post, Anni! LOVED your pictures of the woodpecker! (And through a SCREEN!).. I "shutter" to think what lousy pictures my own little camera would have taken through that AND another door!.. I'll be looking for "the works".. Never saw The Verdict, but thanks for the warning!.. We were in agreeance on lasagna, but I love manicotti too. In fact I'm going to try a crock pot version soon, so I'm HOPING that's a success!.. We were also (though I didn't mention it in my post) in TOTAL sync in hoping that the baby was a girl! Though Diana was physically there, spiritually, I believe she was, and oh, how PROUD she must have been, you think?... Finally, THANK YOU for the blogging advice at the end! It was great stopping by today!!! Hope your day's a good one! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post today!! The Works...believe it or not I found at the Dollar Tree. It's phenomenal.

      Delete
  30. Excellent post and thank you for all the info about privacy. I am going to look into this further.
    Your comments about the movie are the reason we seldom go to the movies. I find the movie reviews by Focus on the Family to be very informative about movie content. And you are right about Windex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I don't understand why the script has to be written in such a foul way.

      Delete
  31. Hey there! You said I should post my baby bird picture on your bird blog meme....is it I'd Rather Be Birdin'? Let me know....I'll have to do it this evening....gotta' go to work. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep....just left you another comment.

      Delete
  32. Hi Anni, Crazy woodpeckers --eating the Hummingbird dinner!!!!!! Love your osprey drawing... Quite an accomplishment. How exciting to see a "Life" bird... I know how neat that is.... Congrats.

    Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy!! Have a great week yourself dear one.

      Delete
  33. OH DEAR ANNI MOM READ AND READ READ YOUR WRITE UP LOOKING FOR THE BIRD'S IDENTITY..NOW WE SEE IT AT THE VERY TIPPY TOP.
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay. No problem.
      It comes with age y'know. KIDDING!!

      Delete
  34. Interesting thoughts about blog privacy. For the longest time I was reluctant to share pictures of my grands ... and while I do now occasionally, I'm still concerned about it ... I need to take your info and read it tomorrow morning when I'm wider awake and alert. Very valuable information.

    In regard to your questions about quilting: while my usual answer to beginner quilters is that I cannot overemphasize the importance of accuracy, in your particular case you should be able to compensate for a *small* difference. Because you will be sewing these corners onto strips which will then stitched along a panel, you can probably compensate by cutting the strips the length needed to get the borders to fit properly. If the difference is small enough, it will more than likely not be noticeable as long as your borders compensate for the difference. Good luck ... and I hope you share a picture of your quilt when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the help Kathy!! Much appreciated. Truly.

      Delete
  35. How clever of them....love them... Yes I am concerned about photos out there too... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...especially smaller children. There are those 'nasties' that lurk in the background...waiting for the innocent.

      Delete
  36. I heard the name of the baby today and I think you got your good strong royal worthy name! :-) Wow, I'm going to have to check that out about the photos being shared. Thanks for sharing the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it is of great concern. I hope others follow suit and add the meta tag.

      Delete
  37. lovely photos my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I didn't know that woodpeckers like fresh fruit - I'll have to try some along with the suet this year (we can't put feeders out until winter because of bears). Great photos of these guys - are they Flickers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...no, it's not a flicker...as I stated at the beginning, it's a Golden Fronted Woodpecker.

      Delete
  39. Great photos of the woodpecker.We have one in our old dead cotton wood tree but I can never get a good photo of him.
    I agree with you on these movies anymore that have to fill it up with the F word, there is no reason for it any where.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...we rarely go to movies any more at the theater. We'll wait 'til they come out on DVD, and if we don't like 'em we trade 'em in...no money lost.

      Delete
  40. Thanks for the link you left me for that embroidered ornament. I only have one more week to go so I doubt I will get to them this year but I'll keep those in mind for next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you are continually in my thoughts when I see crafting projects.

      Delete
  41. love the woodpecker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Awesome shots of the woodpeckers!

    ReplyDelete

.