After the rain came...


It's been a soggy few days here in the Coastal Bend! And tho it keeps me indoors most of the time, I ventured out early Friday morning with the camera in hand to take a look-see at things in the yard. I was greeted by this hummer that seems to remain here instead of the usual migration a couple of months ago. Experts tell us to quit feeding them after the migration season. That, I can't figure out...those that decide to stick around for one reason or another need to be fed - and with the drought there is not too much in the nectar found in flowers... And as long as they continue to come to the feeder, I'm keepin' it filled!! I say "Why not"?
The flowers are, as the commercial says "Lovin' It!"
...and the sky is nearly a luminous glow in the dark blue as the light of day peeks through the ominous clouds at the hour of sunrise!!


_ _ _***_ _ _

Added note:

It's beginning to dry out some from the near week of sporadic misty air and rains. I'm thankful for the moisture and happy as a lark to have a bit of sun coming out. Everything is greening up nicely. It's been way too long a spell of Autumn like lawns and watering restrictions not helping our turf at all. Around here, it should be lush and green year 'round [lawns for sure]...but not the last three years. I'm enjoying the more norm. Anyway, being cooped up indoors during the hot rainy days, I posted how boredom overtook me and I brought out my sketch pad. Sketching an osprey. And I mentioned I began a new drawing of a spoonbill. I finished that one in record time. LOL


Here it is:


...in this week's comments someone asked about their pink color. Actually, the roseate spoonbill is hatched 'grayish white' and it's their main diet of seafood, crustaceans, and the like; that of carotenoid rich organisms like shrimp that eventually turns their feathers pink. The more they eat, the pinker they get. Just like the flamingos. A bit of the spoonbill history for the USA --especially the ROSEATE: During the Victorian Era, they were slaughtered to near extinction because of the demand of their pink feathers for women's fans and hats in the 1800s...now, they are protected [as many birds are] and making a strong comeback, yet, I've read that today, threats to roseate spoonbill populations will come as a result of habitat loss.

48 comments :

  1. Your flowers are just beautiful, and your Spoonbill drawing very good. You know, I bet if you made a book with a photo of a bird on one page, then on the facing page a drawing and short chat about the bird, you could really sell it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, thanks. Your idea sounds like some fun. Just maybe.

      Delete
  2. Hey, these are very nice impressions....Wonderful !

    Greetings and enjoy your Weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Timur, and I hope you enjoy your weekend also.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful shots of the flowers!

    I like going out to shoot photos after the rain too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flowers are beautiful and I always enjoy your drawings. We're hoping to get a little rain here today. It's been extremely hot and dry, but it's cooler this morning and rain is predicted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it rained here again for just a little while before sunrise, I'm lovin' it for sure, for sure. Hope you get some rain too. Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  5. Love the cute hummer, Anni! I would think the hummers need to be fed? This one must love your place and did not want to migrate. BTW, I love your pretty header. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...have a happy weekend yourself Eileen, and thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  6. I like your drawing, Anni. And especially like the hummer picture! So glad to hear you got some rain, finally. Everything must be happy... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just at your blog and the views are incredible. Thanks DJan.

      Delete
  7. awesome spoonbill! i was so happy we got rain up here in NE Tx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet...we're both happy for rain. Need more tho!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful flowers and hummingbird. And, that's a great drawing! You're very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful bird! And picture of it is breathtaking!

    Amazing pictures of flowers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely flower shots Anni, and the hummer is so cute. The spoonbill sketch is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post-rain shots. My, you're a talented artist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...nothing better than the fresh after effect of a summer rain. Thanks Pat.

      Delete
  12. love the drawings, and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great sketch and wonderful photography ~ Happy Weekend to you ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks! Hope your weekend was a super one too.

      Delete
  14. I agree Anni I feed them until (I start recording their activities at my feeder in September) until I haven't seen one at the feeder for at least a week.

    Your artistic sketches truly amaze me!!!
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know of a photographer in SC who takes magnificent photos of the spoonbills. In fact, all of his photos are unbelievably beautiful. I'm thinking everyone reading your blog, who is interested in nature photos, please visit his site for some very interesting works.

    http://phillanoue.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the heads-up.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. ...thanks for the visit to Hootin' Anni's

      Delete
  17. Your drawing is great. You are quite the artist. Those flowers are so pretty and I love the one with the water drop hanging off of it.
    To answer your question about my flooding, we did get some water in the basement which is why we go on flood patrol. If we stand right at the door and sweep what’s pouring in towards the sump pump we can keep it from getting very far

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ann. And it's a shame to have flooding in the basement, even if it is 'caught' in time.

      Delete
  18. I say WHY NOT, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. great photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
  20. All your photos are so pretty! And your drawing of the spoonbill is great. I used to do some sketching in college and I miss it. I should find time for it again. Thanks for visiting me at We Call It Junkin, drop by again. Take care - Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know you enjoyed my visit and thank you for dropping by Dawn.

      Delete
  21. You are a good friend to nature, Anni...portraying it as you do. Your drawing looks really good, quite talented you are!

    And I say keeping the hummers...they are too cool to not have around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Chuck!!
      You and me both love those little Hummers!!

      Delete
  22. I saw a hummingbird today at lunch at work. I got so excited, but couldn't catch him with my cell phone camera...sun was too bright and I can't see my screen! Darn! We have been having this blessed rain, too...sorry to see ours ending now. Our temps are going to soar back into the triple digits this week....not looking forward to that. For a few days, our lawns have greened back up and I actually have some flowers blooming again! This rain was a nice surprise for a July! You sure have a lot of talent, young lady!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. make a note to yourself "take camera to work with you". LOL

      Wish I'd seen the black hummingbird.

      Delete
  23. Lovely sketch! I agree with keeping the feeder full! As long as there is something for them if they're hungry! If they're not, they won't come! Glad you had some good showers. Our rainy season should start in September ... hopefully we'll have some nice showers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhhhhhh, September. That is our busy season usually for hurricane threats. I look forward to more rain, hopefully, but nothing devastating as a hurricane.

      Delete
  24. I would also keep feeding if he would stay around.
    We are very hot here and all the rain seems to be going around us and we do need some.
    I enjoyed the sketch as always also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sharon. Hope y'all will get some of the much needed --and coveted by so many of us in the USA these days...rain!!!!

      Delete

.