my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


I Never Promised You a Rose Garden...

Easter has come and gone, but my Easter Lilies didn't know that the holiday came so early this year!! They're just now opening into blossoms. Oh, Easter was here, and there WERE lily buds, but none opened 'til this week. It's not nice to fool mother nature. Right? It makes April a very long month. LOL Along with the lily plants, I was out watering in the front yard area along the foundation, and mixed in with the ferns, I happened to notice that the amaryllis are getting heavy with budding and the red one is beginning to open with its deep rich ruby red color!! I'm always thrilled to see that they survive the harsh winters for the past three years now, not because of extreme cold temperatures, but the drought. During the winter months, the bulbs are all that 'peek' through the soil...looking mighty forlorn and dried up. But each Spring, so far, they perk up and the green shoots appear. Guess they're more hardy than I realized. Besides the red amaryllis, I have a salmon pink one, a white one, and a pink/white striped. They're just budding, no full bloom yet, but the anticipation is always something I keep a close vigil on 'til they ARE in full bloom. My mother had them in Colorado as houseplants and they bloomed for the Christmas season, but here in South Texas, they do well outdoors in the ground.

Also, in the back yard, the Oriental Iris have bloomed and are now on their way to summer dormancy once again.



This is the best time of year for roses. Altho, I took most of ours out last year 'cause they suffered badly without enough rainfall, I still have a few. The Pink Don Juan Climbing Rose, and the Don Juan Red Climbing rose that I trained to meander in and through the Texas Sage Bush. Of course the Lady Banks Rose doesn't really get too badly damaged as it's a 'desert dweller'...very tolerant of extreme heat and dry, arid zones. Earlier, it bloomed profusely, but it too is now finished for the season. Along one of the birding trails in Port Aransas, the flowers that they have along the path before you arrive at the ponds, those roses were gorgeous in the shaded areas below the fern like leaf draping of the mighty mesquite trees.The yellow rose, of course, so rich in color was the one that attracted me from the beginning. The red roses were deep and rich, but mostly quite a lot of insect damage it seemed; not too pretty so I skipped over them and photographed the lucious pink variety!! Along with the roses and mesquite trees, the path winds around the fencing and an abundance of other flowers create a walk of nothing but color. Purple, pink, yellow, white, orange, blue...all colors of the rainbow. From roses, to vines of trumpet flowers, petunias, and oh so many more that I really can't recall all of them at the moment of this typing. Even along the shoreline of the Corpus Christi bay, in the sandy, more prarie-like surroundings that mingle with the beach and tidal ponds between Corpus Christi and Portland Texas, the beautiful candelabras of the yucca jut out of the dense brushland with beauty in the creamy white blossoms!! To me, with the beach and subtropical climate, when a desert plant thrives to a majestic size and covers the landscape so nicely, it's an extra treat to view along the normally overgown bushy areas of this particular birding trail!! I like the bay water backdrop in the scenes I see in Spring. Oh, and not to leave out this one; a favorite rose that is in our front yard. In fact there are four that are situated along the foundation of the front of the house, and they're more or less quite a bit 'evergreen'. Yes, they bloom nearly year 'round. February seems to be the only month they don't bloom. But the entire eleven remaining months, there are blossoms seen [tho sporadic at times]. In Spring of course, when the temps are mild, without extreme heat, their blossoms are especially pretty and robust! They remind me of wild roses, and the fragrance is quite similar to a wild rose also. But they are a patented rose, the "Simplicity". Someday, when this nasty El Nino or La Nina moves out of the drought stricken state of Texas, I plan to replace the roses I had to dig up. No rain, and all the watering each and every day didn't keep them alive and well. It was a sad day for me 'cause roses are a favorite flower.

43 comments :

  1. Morning Anni
    Gorgeous pictures you garden is a show place.
    My B was just saying this morning this was the first year he remembers our Red Bud (tree with the heart shaped leaves) and our Dogwoods blooming at the same time. We can hardly wait to take pictures.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet those photos will knock our boots off!!!

      Delete
  2. So many pretty flowers....most of mine are just little green things thinking about poking their heads out of the dirt - except for the crocus but they are rebels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...in due time you'll have the beauty of Spring. Just about the time our flowers and garden will begin to suffer with the high temps.

      Delete
  3. Your flowers are amazing - to have Amarillas growing in the ground - what a treat. They are almost always forced flowers for christmas here in the pacific northwest. Fabulous photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, especially when I grew up...it was always a potted plant for Christmas.

      Delete
  4. Your garden must be one pretty attraction in your whole neighbourhood. Love your choice of flowers. Roses are my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there is just something special about roses, right?

      Delete
  5. This was a lovely post.....we certainly have no blooms as yet...Iris have little buds hidden in their leaves so it won't be long but we're behind compared to this time last year. Perhaps that means a longer Spring before the heat and humidity that is summer in the south.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this sounds like another 'odd' seasonal year again for everyone.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful shots from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. You're always so positive in commenting Denise. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. Lovely floral photography ~ Gorgeous post ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. So wunderschön liebe Anni und ich warte ganz sehnsüchtig auf Frühling.

    Liebe Grüße von Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers are so beautiful. I have tulips that are thinking about peeking out but they could still get their buds frosted.
    The trees have not even started to bud as it is still quite chilly.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those kinds of Springs in Colorado. Just as everything begins to bud out and trees start showing the rebirth of Spring...a heave frost!! Yep, yep, yep.

      Delete
  11. What glorious pictures! Even reading just your descriptions, I could see it all in my mind. What a great green thumb you have-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow...not much of a green thumb here, really. Glad you enjoyed the colors and flowers this fine day Shelly.

      Delete
  12. do many lovely blossoms... it will be awhile before that much color returns here, but it will. so glad you enjoyed the pussy willows as much as I did:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I did. It's been so long since I've seen a pussy willow.

      Delete
  13. The Oriental Iris is so interesting to me. I have never heard of or seen such a thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're quite a bit smaller than 'regular' iris.

      Delete
  14. what a gorgeous garden you have. Here we haven't seen a single flower yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...y'all will have the Spring flowers 'bout the time ours start to wilt and dry up for the season.

      Delete
  15. Hi Anni! Such beautiful photos and blooms! We don't have anything blooming here yet, but things look promising. I can't wait for the warmer weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we've had 70-80 degree temps for a few weeks now.

      Delete
  16. My favorite is the lovely lush pink one! So pretty - gosh you have some great flowers in your garden. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like pink roses too...my yard says so.

      Delete
  17. That last pink bloom is amazing! So bright and the petals have a wonderful shape to them. Hope the drought conditions ease up for y'all. That is one thing I don't miss about living in Texas. I dug up some rose bushes, too. They were in the same bed with 3 holly trees and 3 Indian hawthorn and they looked terrible. Also, I have never seen rose bushes with so many dang thorns. The first time ever that I was glad to see rose bushes yanked out and gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I completely understand about the thorns. They're nasty.

      Delete
  18. Beautiful post, Anni... I love your irises and roses... We don't have much color here yet --but I can't wait to see our Irises and Roses..

    Our Easter Lilies never bloom until about May or June ---so I'm used to that!!!!

    Have a great evening.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, they bloom about mid-April....usually.

      Delete
  19. I love all the blooming flowers of spring! I am knee deep in the A-Z Challenge again this year but I had to stop by for a quick howdy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and a biggo Texas Howdy to you too Chuck!

      Delete
  20. What wonderful colors you have in your garden! And, so early, I can't wait to see what summer brings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our summers aren't much but HEAT. lol

      Delete
  21. I eagerly await the blooming season! The goldfish pond is still frozen...
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed it frozen over still in your post yesterday.

      Delete
  22. Oh thank you for linking into Nature Notes with this lovely post Anni... Michelle

    ReplyDelete

.