MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Sisters, Springtime and Hummers...



Wild Bird Wednesday photo this week:

Note: I also painted this very same hummer, and framed it. SHOWN HERE




Wednesday Hodgepodge
Joyce has these questions for us to answer this week:

1. March 20th is the first day of spring...is she a lion or a lamb in your part of the world? It's lambing season here!!! In other words...We've had unbelievably warm temperatures. More like early Summer temperatures. The high's are in the mid to upper 80s [Fahrenheit], just a bit of humidity, cloudy in the morning and then the blanket of grayness thins out and the sky opens up to a deep blue with puffy cotton ball clouds drifting all too quickly to the northeast. I was talking to our son the other day and he told me they're getting rains [Houston]...from OUR drifting clouds. Figures.

2. What's the most dreaded task on your spring clean to-do list? Do you have a 'plan of attack'? Trimming. Most everything in our yard has thorns. Nasty, sometimes well-hidden thorns. That's the only reason the task is a dreaded task. Otherwise, I LOVE working in the yard, I love cleaning and gutting out the interior of the house...it's just a Spring ritual. I know I can ignore it all, but the idea of having a clean house/yard moves me to motion. As for 'plan of attack' ... it's the quicker I get it done [I should say "WE" 'cause Bud does his fair share of work], the quicker we have leisure time to go places and do things for pleasure.

3. Peas...love 'em or hate 'em? What's a favorite dish you make using peas?
I really like peas. Fresh picked from the garden, right out of the pod...frozen, or even canned. Actually to be honest, I like the canned best. And pea salad is delicious. REAL mayonnaise, chopped onion, cubed cheddar cheese a dash of ground black pepper and a great side dish evolves. I also like snow peas in stir fry combos! Oh, and Split Pea Soup with Ham!! Yum. I drool.
photo courtesy of Google Search

4. Do you feel under appreciated? At my age, no. I don't linger on that emotion at all. Why bother? I know I'm doing my best, that is what counts.

5. Have you been using Google Reader? If so, what are you switching to now that GR has announced retirement? If not, how do you read your favorite blogs? I posted about this the other day just recently. I use Firefox as my default Browser, so I got the add-on extension, Feedly, and I actually like it better than Google Reader. At least for now.

6. Anne Bradstreet is credited with the following quote~ "If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome." Agree or Disagree? Why? I'm one who likes a change of seasons, but for the most part we don't have a heavy winter here. We do have trees that turn the golden autumn colors [later than most of the country] and we do have more or less a dormant season, but it's short lived and Spring comes in with vigor. But you ask if I agree or disagree...well, I think of Hawai'i where the mean temp is around 70 year long. All I know is, I love the islands, and I could live with that. Yes, Spring is a pleasant re-awakening of Earth, but do I need winter to enjoy Spring more? I don't think so.

7. When did you last 'spring for something'? What was it? Normally, I don't 'do' ice cream. But, when I do it's always the Texas Brand...Blue Bell. It's the most creamy, most tasty, most delicious ice cream I've ever consumed. In fact, years ago, when I first had some, I was totally hooked on it. When we lived in Tucson, Bud had some of my favorite flavor shipped to me for a special occasion. And I savored every spoonful. Trust me. Even down here in its 'native land', it's on the costly side. $6 plus for just a half gallon!!! In comparing to $3.50 for a gallon of gasoline for the car, gas is cheap!! LOL But, in my mind, it's worth every cent. So, the other day, while outdoors in the extreme heat of the day [too early for such hot temps], I said "I'd need some ice cream!" Naturally, we showered and went to the store in hopes they had some of my kind in the freezer department at the store...Bud found his favorite flavor Chocolate Chip Mint, and I was lucky enough to find mine also....

photo courtesy of Google Search
...the content is so full of HUGE pieces of Black Walnuts, in each spoonful you taste the sweetness of maple flavored ice cream with literally dozens of walnuts. They don't skimp on the nuts. Of which I am really, really grateful. Oh and if you're ever in the Hill Country of Texas, take a side trip to Brenham, Texas. That's where this heavenly concoction is produced. Tours are daily, except for holidays....well worth it. Oh and you get a free tasting on the tour. LOL

8. Insert your own random thought here? Another Sister's Day annual celebration came and went on the 18th. First thing in the morning, I opened the parcel that was on our doorstep. From Sharon, my sister. She knows me all too well.
This year her little gift to me was a beautiful windchime. With a Ruby Throated Hummingbird clapper. Now, this was new to me, I did not know you could register a windchime...but yes, this one can be registered. And for being such a beauty that it is, I hung it indoors by the vent....so when the A/C is on, it will tinkle delightfully for me and remind me of my big sister!!! [I don't want it outdoors because of the strong winds we get so very often...no breakage for this special chimer!!] We call each other and are on the phone as we open each other's gifts that were shipped, squeal and giggle with delight...then, continue to chit chat a while. And at 8 PM [in time zone sync, we use our special fluted champagne glasses and go outdoors no matter the weather...and salute sisterhood; facing each other [I raise my glass of champagne to the northwest] "Here's to Sisters"!!! If you're curious as to what I shipped her...a crystal pair of bunny rabbit candle holders, some special tea blend, imported chocolates, and a coral bead necklace from India that I found at World Market. [she left all her jewelry behind in a motel this past Christmas and some of her necklace collection needs replacing ...lol]

56 comments :

  1. Anni what a wonderful post. I love your header!!
    OH MY WORD your painting of the Rubythroated Hummer is better than the real picture! I am a huge hummingbird fan too. Excellent Sister Day gift from your big sister. You will love having it indoors I'm sure as will Winston and Tahoe. LOL

    One of my friend's son was fortunate enough to have a Rufous Hummer spend the winter in his yard. The little jewel must obviously had poor directions. He kept two feeders ready at all times so that he could immediately replace frozen ones.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudos to your friend's son!!!

      Delete
  2. I have been trying out feedly and don't like it as much as Reader, but it will do, I guess. And I love your header, too, along with a beautiful hummer picture. When I lived in Teas I ate Blue Bell Ice Cream and know exactly why you love it so much. I cannot buy anything like it here, thank goodness! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...trouble is, it's way too convenient for us to buy Blue Bell when the stores are nearly on every block. And Bud asked the B B delivery guy to make sure that there was a stock of Black Walnut in our neighborhood store. LOL

      Delete
  3. Love those hummers, and that windchime from your sister is a beauty! We, too, love Blue Bell, and though we only have it very sparingly, every spoonful is savored completely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...in Texas, it's too easy to get a half gallon of that scrumptious concoction...it takes a lot of will power that gets up and flies out the window all too often here.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed the post this morning. Love those Hummers. I have also hung a wind chime up by the vent that I got from my grandkids for a birthday gift. Mine has a little cow to go with all my other cow collection.
    Enjoy your warm weather.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a similar climate. Yesterday I could not believe it reached 81°! I'm tackling my spring cleaning a little at a time. I'm no longer a spring chicken. :/ And I'm okay with that. Enjoyed your post and reading all the answers to the questions. Love the hummingbird wind chime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...way too hot for now. I hope that isn't a sign of things to come this coming summer.

      Delete
  6. What a sweet hummer shot, and your painting is beautiful Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so wonderful that you two are so close! I always wanted a sister. The gifts are awesome!! The first picture of the hummingbird, it is a real one and you took this picture? Honestly, I really appreciate this, it is almost impossible to get a picture of one sitting still!!! The Blue Bell ice-cream, oh I would love to try some. At first I thought they sold it here, but I was thinking of Blue Bunny, which is a bargain brand I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed that it stopped and posed for me. I was only a few feet away from it.

      Delete
  8. Great photo of the hummingbird. I think they are always beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post, photo and painting! How talented you are! So happy to find your blog, courtesy of Wild Bird Wednesday. Have a wonderful week (Spring coming in like a lion here in Missouri.. more s-n-o-w. oh my!) -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy...nice to meet you. Do come back any time. I love visitors.

      Delete
  10. I just LOVE fresh peas ... right out of their shells! And sprouts - so fresh and crispy! Autumn arrived in full in SA! Daughter and her BF off to Lapland tomorrow for a week in the snow. Her first time seeing real snow - and maybe a sneak peak at Santa! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. snow? Y'all don't get it do you...it's coming up on Summer. Well, at least here in south TX. LOL

      Delete
  11. Hi Anni, I love your sweet hummer and your painted hummer. And the wind chime is cute, I love it. Lovely photos and post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Eileen. Glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful bird, and a great shot of him as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you came to visit Karen.

      Delete
  13. It's a lion in my neck of the woods. I wish someone would cage this beast and let spring time in :)
    Oh and peas, can't stand them, never have never will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Beast"....the white stuff is in my opinion. That's why we're now down south. LOL

      Delete
  14. Great post for the theme!
    Happy WBW to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am the same as you - once it was important to be appreciated - now I appreciate myself. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...it's not important to me and you any more. What others think of us, isn't something to dwell on.

      Delete
  16. Hi Anni, I was on my laptop all day --until tonight. It wouldn't allow me to pull up your blog ---even though I tried over and over at different times... BUT--tonight, now that I'm home, your blog popped up easily on my big iMac... Oh Well.....

    1. LION here ---getting cold again!!!!Darn it.
    2. Pulling WEEDS.... Yuk!
    3. Agree with you: Love Peas, and Pea Salad
    4. No I don't.
    5. Using Feedly also and love it
    6. Love all four seasons, and love the changes
    7. Love Blue Bell Ice Cream also... I like Banana Split, and Pumpkin Spice; Need to try the Walnut.


    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never minded pulling weeds. The fruit of our labors shows through when done.

      Delete
  17. Lovely hummingbird shot and painting too!
    I love your idea of 'Sisters Day'! Makes me wish I had a sister.
    That is such a sweet and memorable idea. The windchime is lovely and I don't blame you for wanting to keep it indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, the forceful winds we get here all too often would have it in shatters.

      Delete
  18. One of our dearest neighbor families moved to Brenham to work to Blue Belle....we miss them, but he LOVES working for Blue Belle. I love homemade vanilla. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue Bell...not Blue Belle...that's not politically correct you know. [just kidding!!!]

      Delete
  19. Nice post - I do love the hummer - we dont get them here.

    I think its a (shared) guilty secret that I like the canned peas as well!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahh thorns or in my world, pine needles! Ice cream looks yummy and I saw get this a PINT of ice cream for almost $6 yesterday. My eyes about bugged out of my head. Our local yummy ice cream is Wilcoxsons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it?!!! SIX dollars? For a pint?!!!! Whoa.

      Delete
  22. Blue Bell just started selling in my state this month. And there was a line waiting to buy it at just about every grocery store that day. My friends from Texas were THRILLED that it was finally available here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that, I can understand. Once you've tasted Blue Bell there's not turning back.

      Delete
  23. Oh gosh, now I'm craving ice cream, and it's only 32 degrees here : ) I love hummingbirds and love your windchime. Have you ever read the book -He saw A Hummingbird by Norma Lee Browning? It's the true story of a photographer who is losing his eyesight and he finds a way to photograph hummingbirds. Its a great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book sounds great...thanks for the input. I'm gonna look for it.

      Delete
  24. There are only 2 seasons in Canada - winter and construction. Winter must be over because I saw 3 construction crews while I was out this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this must be a chain response 'cause I read the same thing on another blogger's comments. :o(

      Delete
  25. Replies
    1. I see were both salad 'lovers'.

      Delete
  26. Love that hummer...and Blue Bell Ice Cream! Sisters Day. That's cool. I'm an only child, so no sisters or brothers. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, I feel blessed. Afterall, you stop by to visit with me and that makes my day Sue.

      Delete

.