“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Google Reader ... No longer, as of July 1st

Over the last couple of days, after I read a good dozen blogs and the fact that evidently Google has decided that for us who follow their Google Reader, it's now going to be defunct [dropped entirely] as of July 1st of this year! So, in the interim, I've subscribed to BlogLovin and had my blogs that I follow transferred from Google Reader to my new account, and added the subscribe button for anyone to continue following me if they choose. You'll find the link on my right sidebar. It's okay, but I'm not all that impressed with it for now. Last night in fact I could not get into the login...and I found out that there was too great an influx of those that decided to carry on with the Reader and transfer their followed blog list to BlogLovin, which made their servers go berserk! I'm sure that in the future this would be a hindrance all too often. Altho, it may improve after July....who knows. Thing is, I have to go out and login to THAT site in order to read the blogs I choose to follow. That, in itself, is an annoying extra step to have to take. Especially when I'm logged into my own blog admin in another window. So, I have to then bounce back and forth. AND!!!---if anyone wishes to continue following me, they would have to subscribe to the very same. Blah, blah, blah. Again, too much hassle. So, when I went out to read some more this morning...I found one that works with my browser, Firefox. It's an add-on extension. And it works wonderfully for what I want and expect in performance. Afterall, I AM using Firefox from the get-go, and all I have to do is check the tools/add-ons and voilà...my blogs I'm following is right there; handy for ME. It seems to be, for a Firefox user, much more user friendly.

Google's excuse to discontinue the Reader is for the fact, or so we're told, that the Reader isn't as active as once was. I'm sure they're doing this to push upon us Google Plus which I feel is nothing better that Facebook and Twitter...more a social networking kinda style I detest. All I want to do is read blogs, not really do much networking with a bunch I don't really know that well. Y'know? There are several options out there. I've only experienced the two mentioned above...BlogLovin and FEEDLY for Firefox browsers. Of those two, Feedly has what I want, hands down. If you're interested, and use Firefox faithfully, the steps to take are TOOLS/add-ons/ --- you'll then be at your Firefox add-ons manager page. From there, in the top right hand corner, there is a 'search all add-ons' [with a magnifying glass icon...type in Feedly, and do your thing, transferring your Google Reader list!! Once you get Feedly up on your browser window, just add it to your add-ons folder. You may have to reboot Firefox, before the blogs you follow show up.







as on the sidebar, BlogLovin has you claim your blog with publishing their code.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

27 comments :

  1. Google is pulling too many of these stunts lately with their products and I'm getting concerned about gmail and some other stuff of theirs. Annoying and so disrespectful to their users. I've been using Feeddlypro for my iPad and it works great. I think I paid a few dollars in the App Store. Well worth it. Since I use Chrome (another google product!)' I went with Feedly. That was the only service that worked seamlessly from the get-go. Glad you found something that works so well for you, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all I know it's becoming a big pain in the toochie.

      Delete
  2. Correction: Feeddlerpro is what I use for the iPad. Sorry bout that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read Gail's comment and will go and download Feedly. I too have joined Google + but leave it mostly alone, as it's not what I want to do with my time. I do use Reader daily. Thanks for the tips, I am pissed at Google, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google Plus is not all that friendly for followers OR its users.

      Delete
  4. I personally was not very happy about them retiring reader but what are you gonna do. I did switch over to feedly and I'm still trying to get used to the difference but it was an easy switch.
    If google's plan is to get more people to use google+ they can count me out because I found it to be totally worthless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they can count me out too. I have it, but never use it.

      Delete
  5. Hi There, I have not checked out BlogLovin--but did download Feedly a couple of days ago (I have Firefox). So far--so good, although you have to learn things pretty much on your own since there aren't too many directions (that I could find)...

    I read or heard somewhere that Blogger is going to drop alot of things. You are probably right. They are promoting Google+ which I have and do not like AT ALL...

    Oh Well--guess they are wanting to run is all off.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there is something out on the 'net that could help you learn more.

      Delete
  6. Sigh. I think someone, somewhere, gets immense pleasure at all they put us through. I will not go to Google Plus, even though I am on it, because all I want to to is the blog part. I will follow you on your new one~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly...I like to use the reader so I can know when others post something new.

      Delete
  7. I heard that they are also taking off the "Join this site with Google Friend Connect" ("Follow Me") button and replacing it with the Google+ follow me. I dislike Google+, and I am not on it. I don't know, I might switch my blog over to Wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they tried taking it down before....months ago, and there was so much flack from their users they decided to prolong it.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for these good tips ! I'll try it out. As you I hate Google+ and really see no utility for that it only makes it impossible to comment on a blog when people forget to put their blog link ! Then you have to go into "About" and all this takes time ! Facebook is stupid ! At least for my purposes. I blog and that's it ! No time for Facebook chats ! We are going slowly out of the snow ! I am so fed up with winter !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it's truly a pain in the posterior extremities. LOL

      Delete
  9. I'm equally upset about this move and plan to do a post on it next week. I've checked out a few alternatives and for now i am using Feedly as well. I'm really not a fan of Google chrome of Google plus. We'll see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's getting to the point that I don't care for anything associated with Google. My gmail for the phone takes forever to even do anything. LOL I'm spoiled by cable for the computer connection.

      Delete
  10. I am really sorry for the people who lost it, it has even been on the news. I never used it. I just go down the line on my sidebar, it is quick and easy that way. I never could understand the benefit of the other ways, maybe I am just dense and set in my ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably more wise than you know. We shoulda done that long ago.

      Delete
  11. Just responding to your comment about scrubs. They are comfortable and yes - they would be cool in the summer. They wash well too. If you got a standard color, I bet no one would know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari, I'm gonna get some then. I saw some in black, and I thought to ask you if they're cool enough in the hot summers...being that black isn't really a good summer color holding heat in and all.

      Delete
  12. Appreciate you sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, anything to help out.

      Delete
  13. If you like, I'll share my "Keeping in Touch" spreadsheet; that's what I use to visit blogs. My list has about 60 bloggers on it, and you know many of them; you could copy it and then edit it for your own needs. Email me if you want me to share it with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'll keep this in mind, thanks!!! I am now using Feedly, and so far it's working pretty well for me. I'll see how it goes. If for some reason it begins to become a pain, I will then email you for help. I appreciate this gesture.

      Delete
  14. Anni, I feel like the lost kid, sitting in the back of the class, who's afraid to raise her hand in all this, but..... Here's how I'm seeing it, but still don't understand it. On my Blogger Dashboard, I see my list of my own blogs; then underneath is "Reading List... All blogs... View in Google Reader, all listed horizontally in one section. I see the list of latest posts underneath this, and have used THIS list all the long. But if I click the "View in Google Reader" then that takes me to a different format of sorts. Again, I still never use that feature.... So my question is, will my list of blogs (from BEFORE I hit the google reader) and their latest posts still be there on my dashboard???... with all their latest posts, even without clicking Google Reader? Or will my dashboard just be one big empty space from now on??? I can't seem to get a clear answer for this, so of course I don't know how to act on it. Will we have no more followers, and no followers gadget anymore either (hence bloglovin and feeder)?... sorry, so confused. ~tina

    ReplyDelete

.