Welcome to Hootin' Anni's Chronicles...

THIS WEEK at I'd Rather B Birdin' - photos of ...

COURTING BRONZED COWBIRD
click on bird name[s] to view them
and read a bit of trivia about them!!
...............Hope to see you there!..............




Birds and Hodgepodge...Hodgepodge and Birds

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY

In my previous post I mentioned that the high temps here were reaching the 80 degree mark. Well, not so yesterday! The wind chill factor was in the 50 degree range while the high reached only 60 something. A pleasant change. Sunny, breezy, and crisp clear blue skies. While sitting at the dining room table, working on monthly bookkeeping and making records of ATM purchases, I glanced out the window and spied a lone hummingbird.
"Forget the bookkeeping Anni, go outside and prime the camera in hopes of getting the first hummer of the season."
Well, he didn't cooperate with me, every time he landed, it was against the sun and only was he silhouetted; showing none of his ruby red throat. But I stayed outdoors in the sun and enjoyed the cool afternoon for some time. While out there, a beautiful, and feisty Mockingbird [which, by the way, is Texas' State Bird] flew into the yard, and landed on the Bird of Paradise Plant. It kept and eye on me all the time. Between me and the bird was the bird feeder that has their favorite fruit and nut suet cakes, the feeder that is frequented while the Mockingbird couple build their nest in one of our backyard trees. Finally, with bravery, and me sitting as quietly as I could [tho out in the open], it flew into the feeder and dined. I began snapping the shutter!!! After feeding, it flew just a few feet away to the bird bath and drank. All the while the 2nd Mockingbird was talking to it hidden in the tree! --






HODGEPODGE
Joyce has these questions for us to answer this week:


1. What are your plans for Easter? Are you cooking a big lunch or dinner? Dyeing eggs? Attending a sun rise service? Eating too much chocolate? First, I never make plans to eat too much chocolate, that comes naturally!! In the past, sunrise service was something to do. In fact, I painted a picture and framed it of a sunrise service here at the water's edge, it's one of my favorite works of art...see it here, or use the "My Art" drop down menu on my right sidebar [under the easel graphic], and scroll down to 'Sunrise Services'. I've already planned to get some eggs, hard boil them and color them, and on Sunday we'll be eating egg salad. Since my parents passed away in the 90s and we retired after our kids left home, moved to a warmer clime, we spend the day so differently than we once did with a big family celebration and huge meal. Not any more.

2. What is something you feel too young to do? Die!!

3. "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud...it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs..." Of the characteristics mentioned in the biblical definition of love which do you find most difficult to live out and why? For me personally, none are difficult much....I guess I 'keep records of wrong'...I always remember when I'm right and Bud is wrong...LOL, but that's not in any way shape or form a biblical sense. But in all honesty, with anything and everything -It's only a state of mind. Now, with society and the divorce rate and abuse, it seems ALL of the ABOVE run rampant with others. For me the "F" word would be the easiest......and that's FORGIVENESS. [had you going there for a sec, now, didn't I?]

4. What's a springtime flower you associate with your childhood? Two actually; my folks had tulips and daffodils in every yard we lived at, both in Nebraska AND Colorado.

5. Ever sung karaoke? If so, what's your go-to song? If not and you're given the opportunity, would you? No, and no. But here at home, I've been known to belt out a tune or two while listening to songs on the computer as I type. That's what I call multi-tasking.

6. What is something you keep in a basket? Artificial Flowers. Oh, and in one basket [low lying], a towel...It's Tahoe's favorite place to siesta!!

7. When was the last time you felt foolish? 1949?!! LOL. I don't know!! I don't keep track of that. Do you?

8. Insert your own random thought here. Yesterday, I was feeling quite nostalgic; speaking of listening to songs on the computer. While I worked some more on some of my photos, cropping them, framing them, and watermarking them for posting on my blogs...I was listening to one of my play lists I have in my music folder. One song, for some reason, made me stop and really listen. And I DID sing along with it. Tears welled in my eyes for a while. I was going back to my youth...the song was:

At a bar down in Dallas an old man chimed in,
And I thought he was out of his his head.
Just being a young man I just laughed it off
When I heard what that old man had said.

He said I'll never again turn the young ladies heads,
Or go running off into the wind.
I'm three quarters home from the start to the end.
And I wish I was 18 again.

I wish I was 18 again.
And going where I've never been.
But old folks and old oaks
Standing tall just pretend.
I wish I was 18 again.

Now time turns the pages
And oh, life goes so fast.
The years turn the black hair all grey.
I talked to some young folks,
Hey, they don't understand
The words this old man's got to say.

I wish I was 18 again.
And going where I've never been.
But old folks and old oaks
Standing tall just pretend.
I wish I was 18 again.

Lord, I wish I was 18 again!


[sung *more recited* by George Burns who lived to be 100!!]
Here's a link to him and the song on you tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3c-WBn5cCg

72 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're fast today Denise...I just posted. :o)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful bird pictures, Anni. I love that old song, and I can just hear George Burns "singing" it! Thanks for the memories... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh now, that reminds me of another song...by Bob Hope...thanks for the memories. ;o)

      Delete
  3. I love mockingbirds, and you got terrific pics of that very cooperative one! I can only imagine what they were saying to each other...

    Wow- I had never heard of that song, and it left me with a lump in my throat. I'm going to have to listen to it. Hey, but if I still think I'm 18 in my head, does that count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, with your decision to retire from teaching, I can imagine that the song lyrics did kinda set you aback a bit!! But, dear one, you've managed to make a decision, tho hard it is, to go in the right direction. All the children you taught will be your memories and you can devote more time to perhaps write a book with your skill!!! Retirement is not the end, but a new beginning.

      Delete
  4. I have never met anyone who loved that song like I do. I have tuned into Youtube and watched George sing it and cried and cried and cried. Yes, he almost recited it, but the sincerity in his voice just steals your heart away. Glad to know there is someone else out there with a heart...and understands how touching this song is! He lived that long while smoking cigars...go figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a great song, and no one can 'sing it' like George Burns.

      Delete
  5. I'll never forget the mockingbird in Dallas that dive bombed my head when I parked next to the bushes it had a nest in. They are fearless birds. Wonderful series of shots, Anni. Much more fun than bookkeeping. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fearless indeed. Just yesterday, the mama Mockingbird was protecting her feeder by 'dive bombing' all the sparrows away.

      Delete
  6. The hummer was just there to lure you outside to enjoy the day instead of sitting in with the computer!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what beautiful photos you took.
    I walked out this morning to start my car and defrost windows and the birds were in songs it was beautiful to listen to.
    It sounded like a choir and I think the song was "Were is Spring" lol
    Enjoyed your hodgepodge again also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrrrrrrrrrr, just reading the idea of going out to 'defrost the car's windows' makes my teeth chatter.

      Delete
  8. Lovely shoys Anni. I like the way you framed them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures!
    I don't think I ever heard that song - I'm going to have to go to you tube!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sad, yet poignant song.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful mocker photos! And, oh, Lord, I do not wish to be 18 again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. But sometimes, I wish I could turn back the clock...especially to be able to talk and be with mom and dad again.

      Delete
  11. Long time no comment, Anni, for me anyway...Seems we both been watching Mocking birds....your photos are beautiful....
    I love to sing Karaoke and recently set up my machine in the guest room where I can escape to belt out one or two in privacy....Daddy's Hands and the one by the Judd's: Mama, I've Found Someone....
    No Hummingbirds for us yet....and the Red headed Woodpecker hasn't returned either but I am on the lookout for it...
    Blessings on your day,
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see you stop by for a visit Ms. S

      Delete
  12. I really like pictures 5 and 6, those are my favorites. And I learned something, I did not know they are the state bird! I am very wary of mockingbirds because one attacked me once at a mall. Will the hummingbird pictures be next? I would love to be young again if I knew all that I do now, otherwise I am sure I would just mess it all up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they have been known to attack us humans.

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for the link to the Nanci Griffith song! I had never seen the video before, and now I got to see the old house will all the bluebonnets in the yard!! Do you know the highway 90 or Gulf Coast highway she sings about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Ginny, I think it's more along the coast from LA to Florida. Right ON the coast.

      Delete
  14. Hi Anni, Great photos of the Mocker.... Sorry about the hummingbird --but you will have many other opportunities.

    Cold here too. I knew you all were quite chilly down there since I heard from my Galveston area son!!!!! Still snowing here. Hope it warms up soon!

    Love your thoughts...The one that stuck out for me today was asking what you have in baskets... I love little baskets and have two of them here in the computer room.. One holds our sales receipts each month. We go through them at the end of the month --and then they are filed. Another basket has some of my special little things I want to keep (such as cards, specific mail and info I have printed, etc.)... As I said, I just love little baskets...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the basket ideas Betsy.

      Delete
  15. A lovely series of shots Anni! You'll get that hummer I'm sure of it.
    #2 above made me LOL! Perfect answer.
    There are many days I wish I were younger - not necessarily 18. I think that's something we all do as we get older and know we're 'three quarters' home.
    George lived to be 100 but I bet he would have loved to keep going. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya, like I posted above in another reply, to be young only to be with family members that left us behind.

      Delete
  16. Hi Anni your pictures of the mockingbirds are very exotic....and gives Mom a new appreciation of them. Most times around here they are loud and demanding.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, they are a bit on the nervy side of the bird spectrum...fearless most times, but they DO have a beautiful song.

      Delete
  17. Great photos of the Mockingbirds. btw I have Bird of Paradise plants in my yard too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the mockingbird images Mick.

      Delete
  18. Great post! Lovely to study, - and read!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anni, love your Mockingbird photos. I wish you and yours a very happy Easter. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, and happy Easter to you too, Eileen.

      Delete
  20. Love the pictures of the birds and your answer to number 2 was perfect

    ReplyDelete
  21. Deine Vogelbilder sind immer so wunderschön liebe Anni.

    Liebe Grüße von Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, birds are one of the most photogenic creatures I think. Thanks 'Tilda.

      Delete
  22. If you can't get a picture of a Hummingbird, a Mockingbird will do just fine! He's the state bird of Florida, too! You really have some fine images of him!
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Even seeing a hummer would be a year highlight for me - I would not mind that lack of pictures. (I think I'm lying about the pictures!)

    I thought I should clarify the "Popes Eye" name - people can get very upset.

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Stewart, for hosting WBW

      Delete
  24. Aww I love Tulips! They tend to be a summer flower in the UK. Have a lovely Easter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tulips are pretty, no matter what season I think.

      Delete
  25. I loved your painting...you're very talented! Have a happy Easter : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Joyce. That's very kind of you.

      Delete
  26. I also picked "doesn't keep a record of wrongs". That is a hard one. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was a difficult one this week. But that's the best part of Hodgepodge.

      Delete
  27. Great serie of photos! So interesting to study!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved George Burns. The minute I started reading the lyrics, I was hearing/picturing him singing it. :)

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was something wasn't he?

      Delete
  29. Songs can really get to us, can't they? Bringing back memories. There's a song that my dad always sings, that he remembers from his teen years, and even though I don't particularly like it myself I still enjoy hearing it because it always makes me think of him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. songs can do that, can't they?

      Delete
  30. Love the pictures of the birds. Have a happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are so right with #1: you can never plan to eat too much chocolate!

    Hope your Easter is happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your Easter too, Jill.

      Delete
  32. Your patience was rewarded, Anni. Especially appreciate the bird "couples". Are the non-live ones on a birdbath and do they attract the real thing?

    Enjoy Easter, whatever form your celebration takes, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, they are part of the bird bath.

      Delete
  33. Great bird shots!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thats a good answer for #2! I know i am young to worry about my cholesterol but my family has had a history of high cholesterol even though they're skinny as a rail. However my grandpa used to eat a quart of ice cream daily. yikes! Have a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I think the doctors don't realize, or at least they want to put 'fear' into everyone, that the cholesterol count is more genetic than anything else.

      Delete
  35. Your bird photos are amazing, as always.
    I enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge responses.
    As for # 3, I too tend to keep records of wrongs. Forgiving is one thing, but hurtful words and actions are hard to forget.
    I hope you are enjoying those 50 degree days, we have had snow and temps in the 30s lately. I am ready for some warm days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd much rather have temps in the 70s. I'm such a wuss.

      Delete
  36. Nice shots of the Mockingbird!

    ReplyDelete