Jackie's Wordless Wednesday
_ _ _
Joyce has these questions for us this week:
1. This week marks the beginning of Lent...will you be giving something up or adding anything to your life during this season of the year? Not really, no.
2. The day before Lent is Shrove Tuesday... tradition states you eat pancakes on this day. In some parts of the world Shrove Tuesday is actually known as 'pancake day'. How do you like your pancakes? Or don't you? I eat pancakes, not often, when my kids were small and I'd make them once in a while, they called them 'stomach gaskets' 'cause they're so heavy after consuming a stack of 'em. I'll order them at I HOP like maybe once a year, if that much....mainly 'cause I don't like to cook 'em...too messy. I'd much prefer French Toast. And I'd have my French Toast the same as my pancakes...butter and maple [real maple] syrup.
3. I'm sure there are many, but what's one love song you really love? Just one? Oh my goodness, you really make it most difficult and challenging with your questions Joyce. Even tho Bud's and my song is Welcome to My World [it was sung by request while we danced our first dance], I'd still have to choose this one...an oldie, but goodie...[and one of my favorite romance movies too] -in my opinion this video is one of the BEST movie soundtrack videos ever composed:
4. What are some things you do to let others know you love them? Many things, cook, clean, offer to help before being asked, buying special things I know they like...but the ONE thing that I still feel is the most important thing I do that shows love...it also shows respect....that is to sit down and listen when they talk to me.
5. Roses...red, pink, or do you prefer another color? Can you recall the last time someone gave you flowers? Given your choice would you like to open the door and see a dozen red roses, a dozen purple tulips, or a dozen pink peonies? Nope, nope, nope. Waste of good hard-earned money. You can buy 3 rose bushes to plant for the cost of one bouquet. I'd prefer my roses planted in the ground to show me their stunning beauty each and every year!! I've told Bud long ago, that is the kind of roses I want...not bouquets that only last a week...rose bushes please. My favorite is Scarlet Knight...a deep dark [black bud] red. Climbing rose is the dark red velvety Don Juan. The last time I got flowers delivered to me was from my sister on Sister's Day [a day we set aside each year to salute sisterhood - March 18th] ---she had a plant nursery deliver a hibiscus bush to me. It's blooming right now!!! --IN GROUND
6. President's Day will be celebrated in America next Monday. Does US Presidential history and trivia interest you? Many Presidential homes are open to the public and offer guided tours...Monticello (Jefferson's home), Mount Vernon (Washington's home), Montpelier (James Madison's home), Hyde Park (FD Roosevelt's home) and The White House (home to the sitting President) to name just a few. Of those listed which would you be most interested in touring? Why? I've already toured the White House, and Mount Vernon...they're both very special to me. Yes, the history of our presidents is of interest, but I would prefer a novel based on history to read more than a text book. And to answer the part about which would be more interesting to me to tour...well, since I've seen the White House and Mount Vernon ---I'd like to see Monticello...only 'cause I think Jefferson was one of the most brilliant leaders in our country's history. [And I am fascinated by his life long love affair with his slave, Sally Hemmings - makes good reading].
7. Are you good at keeping secrets? You'll never know, now, will you? It's my secret.
8. Insert your own random thought here. Some of y'all realize that the state of Texas has been suffering in drought conditions for the last couple of years. Normally, our area in the Coastal Bend averages about 30 inches of rainfall a year. Last year the total precipitation was a little over 5 inches. Tho we've have a few days since the beginning of 2013, with some rain. It is not nearly enough to replenish the reservoirs sitting at 25% capacity and falling drastically. I had to go out and see what the drought predictions were for this season...this year. It does not look promising at all. In fact the drought conditions are going to intensify according to the National Oceanic Atmospheric Association:
[click for enlargement and more detail]
map courtesy of NOAA - no copyright infringement intended