“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Valentine Candle Glow





WORDLESS



_ _ _


WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
Joyce has these questions for us this week:


1. This week marks the beginning of Lent...will you be giving something up or adding anything to your life during this season of the year? Not really, no.

2. The day before Lent is Shrove Tuesday... tradition states you eat pancakes on this day. In some parts of the world Shrove Tuesday is actually known as 'pancake day'. How do you like your pancakes? Or don't you? I eat pancakes, not often, when my kids were small and I'd make them once in a while, they called them 'stomach gaskets' 'cause they're so heavy after consuming a stack of 'em. I'll order them at I HOP like maybe once a year, if that much....mainly 'cause I don't like to cook 'em...too messy. I'd much prefer French Toast. And I'd have my French Toast the same as my pancakes...butter and maple [real maple] syrup.

3. I'm sure there are many, but what's one love song you really love? Just one? Oh my goodness, you really make it most difficult and challenging with your questions Joyce. Even tho Bud's and my song is Welcome to My World [it was sung by request while we danced our first dance], I'd still have to choose this one...an oldie, but goodie...[and one of my favorite romance movies too] -in my opinion this video is one of the BEST movie soundtrack videos ever composed:


4. What are some things you do to let others know you love them? Many things, cook, clean, offer to help before being asked, buying special things I know they like...but the ONE thing that I still feel is the most important thing I do that shows love...it also shows respect....that is to sit down and listen when they talk to me.

5. Roses...red, pink, or do you prefer another color? Can you recall the last time someone gave you flowers? Given your choice would you like to open the door and see a dozen red roses, a dozen purple tulips, or a dozen pink peonies? Nope, nope, nope. Waste of good hard-earned money. You can buy 3 rose bushes to plant for the cost of one bouquet. I'd prefer my roses planted in the ground to show me their stunning beauty each and every year!! I've told Bud long ago, that is the kind of roses I want...not bouquets that only last a week...rose bushes please. My favorite is Scarlet Knight...a deep dark [black bud] red. Climbing rose is the dark red velvety Don Juan. The last time I got flowers delivered to me was from my sister on Sister's Day [a day we set aside each year to salute sisterhood - March 18th] ---she had a plant nursery deliver a hibiscus bush to me. It's blooming right now!!! --IN GROUND


6. President's Day will be celebrated in America next Monday. Does US Presidential history and trivia interest you? Many Presidential homes are open to the public and offer guided tours...Monticello (Jefferson's home), Mount Vernon (Washington's home), Montpelier (James Madison's home), Hyde Park (FD Roosevelt's home) and The White House (home to the sitting President) to name just a few. Of those listed which would you be most interested in touring? Why? I've already toured the White House, and Mount Vernon...they're both very special to me. Yes, the history of our presidents is of interest, but I would prefer a novel based on history to read more than a text book. And to answer the part about which would be more interesting to me to tour...well, since I've seen the White House and Mount Vernon ---I'd like to see Monticello...only 'cause I think Jefferson was one of the most brilliant leaders in our country's history. [And I am fascinated by his life long love affair with his slave, Sally Hemmings - makes good reading].

7. Are you good at keeping secrets? You'll never know, now, will you? It's my secret.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Some of y'all realize that the state of Texas has been suffering in drought conditions for the last couple of years. Normally, our area in the Coastal Bend averages about 30 inches of rainfall a year. Last year the total precipitation was a little over 5 inches. Tho we've have a few days since the beginning of 2013, with some rain. It is not nearly enough to replenish the reservoirs sitting at 25% capacity and falling drastically. I had to go out and see what the drought predictions were for this season...this year. It does not look promising at all. In fact the drought conditions are going to intensify according to the National Oceanic Atmospheric Association:

[click for enlargement and more detail]
map courtesy of NOAA - no copyright infringement intended

connecting to:
Wednesday Hodgepodge

52 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Denise, you carry yourself around blogland with a great positive attitude.

      Delete
  2. Lots of things in this post that I didn't know! I lived in D.C. for many years and never toured the White House! I love your beautiful red lights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...stopping by here, you always learn something. roflmao. [kidding]

      Delete
  3. My little sister loved that song when she was a toddler. Used to have to play it in the car over and over and over again! :)

    On the pancake front - if you're making American style ones, use gluten free flour or separate the eggs and whisk the egg whites and fold into the mixture last. They don't 'sit' in your stomach like normal recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the more hardy making with the whole egg tho. Even tho I don't eat them often, I don't care for the 'lite' or fat free much of anything. And you can tell.

      Delete
  4. LOL, good answer to number 7. I also like the name your kids gave to pancakes. They are like stomach gaskets but I do like them once in a while. I'm like you though, I prefer french toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, French Toast is so much better.

      Delete
  5. Love that name for pancakes! I've always liked that version of "I will always love you". Such a a pretty song!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! That is definitely not good news for us either about the drought situation.

    I love your song pick and I also love Jefferson for the same reasons you mentioned.

    I am not a pancake fan. And, after a decade in Maine I can't stand Blueberry pancakes. If I do have them, I prefer tham plain with lots of butter and maple syrup!

    I love your candles! Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...for me, only FRESH blueberries I eat. Any of them cooked isn't good. All kinds of wrong.

      Delete
  7. Lovely pics. Your #4 is, I think, one of the best things ever we can give to someone we love. Its rewards are priceless~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it builds and bonds a relationship together...talk does.

      Delete
  8. I'll gladly send you all the rain we've been getting the past 3 days! I do agree with you about roses...I think I'd much prefer a bush over a bouquet of them. Unfortunately, I can't grow roses very well...so, on second thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that would be wonderful. April Showers in February. Couldn't resist April. :o)

      Delete
  9. Now you have no secrets!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying that the forecasters are wrong and that you get some relief from the drought.

    Pancakes have always been a bit of a pain to serve at home ... no way to fix enough for everyone to eat at the same time. So pancakes are frequently a treat for breakfast out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...exactly!! You're so right.

      Delete
  11. Great song, and a good alternative to Annie's Song, Anni. :) I also like the Trisha Yearwood and Dolly Parton versions, but I'm a country music kind of gal. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do like Annie's Song too tho.

      Delete
  12. Some people think that climate change is going to bring permanent drought to parts of the country. I sure hope not! Especially Texas, where it gets so hot in the summer, what will farmers do for their livestock? Now I'm getting worried...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...we can't even wash our car...tho they still have coin operated open 'round town. The other day, I bought a huge bottle of windex cleaner, and washed off the windows of the car at least so I could see. Sad.

      Delete
  13. Loved your answers! I do hope the drought prediction will not be as dire as they think. Yikes, that doesn't sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it doesn't sound promising at all. Just hope, secretly, that they're 'all wet'? Okay, I'm on a roll today. ;o)

      Delete
  14. Sorry to hear about your drought. It is worse than flooding sometimes. I like my history in a novel as well. Have your read the history of George Washington by Carole Higgins Clark?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have never read any of her books...Maybe I should look for some.

      Delete
  15. I think that is so great that you have bushes planted instead of bouquets of flowers. Hope you get some rain. The weather sure has been crazy all over.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are having a draught here in CO, too - our snowpack is way below normal. The forest behind me has many beetle-kill trees which are kindling if a fire starts. I like how you show your love - listening is the greatest gift you can give someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...listening can help in so many ways, if you want my opinion.

      Delete
  17. I love going to the Portland International Rose Test Garden in May and June. Roses, roses - EVERYWHERE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....oh, and ask me if I'd love to have a garden of all roses?!!!

      Delete
  18. Couldn't agree with you more about the bouquets! Planting in the garden is a much better option! I was given a beautiful white rose to plant in a pot in memory of my Mum's first birthday after she passed away. It is in bloom most of the year and I love it. Will definitely be coming with me when I move the last of my things from my house - which has now be sold! Whoo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, be sure not to forget it. I wouldn't want you out prowling around at all hours of the night with a shovel after the new owners have moved in.

      Delete
  19. Great answers! I love that song. Whitney Houston was so talented, such a shame. I love your answer to #4, especially the sitting down and talking to them. That is one thing my daughter has mentioned several times, that no matter what I was doing I always would sit down and talk to her. We are still very close even though we live in different states.
    until next time...nel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, that is such a special bonding...talk and friendship creates a strong relationship.

      Delete
  20. You'll appreciate Jefferson even more after a trip to Monticello. He had his flaws, but was definitely a man ahead of his time.

    I love the Whitney version of that song too. What a voice!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with you on the Flowers I told my hubs years ago also to stop wasting money on flowers that die in a few days.
    We are also way behind in the moisture and all of the snow storms have go around us.
    Thanks for your comment on my blog. I must say I do hate This windows 8 for all of my work.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...when you find some extra time on your lunch hour, maybe you can figure it out.

      Delete
  22. Whoa, it's been a while since I've been here. So sorry1 How ya been? Love your answers & love your pics... Oh bother.,, I have to go watch the Bodyguard now! LOL Have a great day! Stop by I'm at a new location now though www.Xmasdolly.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...me too, I will have to dig way in the back of our video shelf and find it and watch it.

      Delete
  23. No. 8 is just darn depressing. Didn't the Dust Bowl days last ten years? I think that's what I saw on a documentary. I sure hope our drought doesn't last that long! We are having too many move here from other states and Mexico...we won't have enough water for everyone. I saw in the paper one day where they are thinking about telling people they cannot water their lawns...that the days of beautiful, plush grass are over...don't they remember the Dust Bowl? Gotta have plants to hold the soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, you're right. And not to mention the Texas soil around most of the entire state where the clay shrinks and expands with the water levels...hindering the LEVEL of homes' foundations!!!

      Delete
  24. Thats such a great song! Its too bad Whitney Houston died the way she did & too young! ;(

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anni I always enjoy your posts....you put so much thought into each one.
    Of course I love the red candles.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your answer about secrets. lol Happy Valentines Day.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Excellent and most enjoyable. (I'm so glad I've found the time to again read my favorite bloggers)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are so right. Just being there and listening to those you love, shows your love so much more clearly than anything else. I know it means a lot to me when someone listens. :)

    ReplyDelete

.