“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Heart of Ruby...

Well, I mentioned a few posts back that I was thinking and trying to talk myself into making a couple of Valentine themed coasters for our coffee table. I've looked at several places in stores for something I could use, but never really cared for any. Most are a bit too gaudy for me with hearts painted and plastered all over, or the wrong color combinations. So, I always came out empty-handed after trying to find some at the stores that carry holiday themed nick-knacks. As I was sitting at the computer one day, I, out of a whim, went to Google and typed in Valentine Crocheted Hearts. There are dozens and dozens. Some with purchasing the pattern, others free, or again, some free with a subscription...things like that. I wanted something simple in design, yet have a good 'pattern' to the design and not just a single crochet stitch. Also, one that would be quick to stitch up; taking up little time. Y'know, once the sun comes up, I'm ready to be outdoors and not stuck inside when the weather is so perfect most days. This pattern I found online through either Pinterest or a site that is called Crochet Central, I can't recall now. But, I liked its simplicity, ease of stitching in a short time frame, and the sharer's photo of her finished product. I then, bookmarked the site and came back to get it on a PDF file, and saved to my computer. Why do I go through this step? Well, I'll tellya...there have been several sites bookmarked and later in the year, I go back to view them, and they no longer exist. I've learned my lesson to make sure, if I want to read or view [or in this case, still have the pattern for when I WANT to work with it], on the computer with no worries of it being non-existent at a later time. Once I'm done with the file, I can easily delete it. Anyway, coming back to the coasters, I worked these two coasters to the finishing bow I tied with the beginning and ending yarns, both within a half an hour. Extremely simple, fast working, and easily finished off. They're a bit 'elegant' looking once done and the work flattened and blocked with a steam iron. And the stitch used is quite condensed and tight to easily absorb the condensation of a glass of chilled wine or iced drinks. I like 'em. Tho, I made just two for the coffee table for now, I just may use the extra scrap yarn still left and make two more for the two couches' end tables. On second thought, I decided to make two PINK coasters instead...




connecting to:
Ruby Tuesday2

35 comments :

  1. The coasters are perfect and heart shaped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very attractive! I think I will go and take a look for those as well. I am not a big time crocheter but I think I could do these fairly well.

    Thanks for showing them! I am going to go look at Crochet Central but if you think you found them elsewhere, let us know please.

    cheers,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wish I could remember, the thought of saving the link itself just didn't register at the time.

      Delete
  3. I like the coasters and they look easy to make. Just got back from San Antonio and wished I could have gone to the coast. No time. I miss it.
    xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like those. I have done the same thing with bookmarking. Frustrating when you go back and the page is no longer there. Now I think I might have to google crocheted hearts but it will have to wait until after work (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could remember where I found the pattern. Hope you find something you like.

      Delete
  5. Those are perfect and suit my tastes, too. I'm with you about so much a the V-day stuff being too gaudy, but these are just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us then...what I can't understand is why someone would buy some of the stuff on the market shelves. LOL

      Delete
  6. Note: Hanne posted this in a different comment form: Beautiful red hearts to show. Soon it's Valentine's Day - a practice we have taken to us in this country from the United States ..... Wish you a good day :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Hanne. I'm glad you liked the hearts. It's great to know your country has picked up our tradition.

      Delete
  7. I love them! They do look just exactly right, Anni. I think even I could make those in a day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm quiet, but around. Will be back with more interesting stories as soon as I gather myself together. Love from a rainy SA this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :::wishing it would rain here::: I'm so glad you stopped by Janet. You've been on my mind.

      Delete
  9. I wish I can crochet like you, Anni. Wonderful stuffs.
    Thanks for dropping by :)

    www.womenandperspectives.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni, those are totally CUTE! I think you made the right choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They turned out really nice, and a perfect addition to your valentines decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni absolutely purrfect and we think even though they were easy they look very intricate and fancy with the tied bow at the end.
    Hugs madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome, I love them. They looked easy to make, I shall try making a couple for Valentine's Day gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to do crocheting a few years ago but I have gotten away from it but those are so cute I might have to try getting back to doing it again.
    I also have a new blog sight I hope that you will let others know as I have tried to find them
    It is Blessed Old Lady.blogspot.com
    I hope you stop by so I know it is working
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's working. I found you!!! Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  15. These are so sweet. I really like the little bow in the corner. Wish I could crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, make me some PLLLLLEEAAASSSEE!!! lol I LOVE those!!! That little bow just makes them the most adorable coasters I have ever seen!!! You could sell them....make them and give them to the shut ins at church!!! Everyone would love them. WAAAAHHH.....I wish I knew how to do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are gorgeous, I am going to have a look at the internet

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're so talented, Anni! They're simply lovely!

    Have a lovely Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have no clue where or how you come up with the time to get all of this done. I must be the most unorganized person in the world.

    I like these. I am a coaster freak. All glasses, cups, bottles.cans...well you get the drift must go on a coaster.

    Anni these would make nice little Christmas presents! They are really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice looking coaster for valentine. I did a combo for mid-winter and valentine day..a red candle. I've been thinking about picking up crochet again but I bet I'm out of practice...haven't done any crochet since high school....coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are so pretty! I like small things to decorate and celebrate holidays without going crazy. Those fit the bill. I wish I knew how to crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I wish I could crochet! These are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Perfect for the Day of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful creation!

    Please come and leave me a comment on my Valentine Rubies

    Have an enjoyable LOVE day!!

    ReplyDelete

.