my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Winnie the POO

...wordless


connecting to:


_ _ _


Wednesday Hodgepodge
Joyce has these questions for us:


1. In the USA this coming Sunday millions will be watching as the Baltimore Ravens take on the San Francisco 49's in the Superbowl. What was the last event you attended that could be described as super? A few years back we attended a political rally that got our adrenaline pumping! I love politics more than sports. What really throws me in a tizzy is this: Most Americans can strike up and be involved in a conversation dealing with sports, but can't keep up with what/who their country is about...that's a sad mentality. Why, even the majority of Americans call our government a Democracy...which it isn't; it's a Republic!!!

2. Share something you're a fan of these days? As in sports, or anything in general? Well, if you're asking about sports, the only one I'm really interested in is baseball. I am a fan of baseball. If it's anything in general you want, I'm a fan of good food, gardening, beach-combing, nature, classic movies and the 'old timer' celebrities, good books and renowned authors, works of art....things like that. I guess I hold a lot of interests, but seldom become a fanatic.

3. How do you feel about wings? In case anyone is confused, I'm talking the edible appetizer kind. What's your preferred seasoning on a wing-hot, mild, teryiaki, sweet and sour, other? Do you make your own or is there a favorite place you like to go for wings? I really like 'em. Especially the drumettes. I can buy just the drumettes [that's what they're called at the grocery store ---only the tiny 'legs', not the pull apart part of the chicken wing]. If I make 'em at home, they're BBQ sauce, if we go to a sports bar, they're usually jalapeno pepper hot and spicy.

4. As long as we're talking sports today...have you followed the Lance Armstrong story? Did you watch his interview with Oprah and if so what was your reaction to his confession and subsequent remarks? We had our cable disconnected, so no, I didn't watch it. I got clippings from the online news, but haven't kept up with it. I say, if they become proficient and winning titles dishonestly by taking enhancement drugs, the title should be revoked from their records. Now if you'd ask me about Clemmens, Bonds, Sosa, and others in baseball not getting in the Hall of Fame...they too should have their record breaking records taken off baseball history. The records were made knowingly by performance enhancement drugs!!!

5. What's a question you hate to be asked? What's for dinner?...when I'm not willing to cook. rofl

6. The coaches in this Sunday's big game happen to be real life brothers. Jim Harbaugh coaches the 49er's and his older brother John Harbaugh coaches the Baltimore Ravens. Were you and your sibling(s) competitive? In what way? Are you still? If you're an only child how did you handle competition growing up? My sister and I, when living together at home, would play tennis a lot in the summer. As for my brothers, our competition would be games of chess, drag racing [yes, I had 'souped up' cars as a teenager], and card games. As for handling competition when growing up, with my older siblings, I was rarely the victor, which was okay. I just liked getting out and doing things together. By the way, I was more times than none, the spelling bee champ at school each year. LOL

7. What's your favorite game involving a ball and when did you last play? To watch or attend a game...it'd be baseball. I grew up going to games when we'd go on summer vacation, professional games and local teams. I played baseball in gym class at school....the last pro game we attended was with the Arizona Diamondbacks in Phoenix. The closest I've come to playing with a ball recently is just playing catch. We still have my father in law's catcher's mitt, and when it comes out of the box occasionally, it's 'play ball'!

8. Insert your own random thought here.

WATERFRONT DAWN ©
by Hootin' Anni
2013

The drapery of darkness opens...
Whispers of the morning
Shimmer of diamonds
Rhythms; a briny shallow pond
Silhouettes cast
Dawn's testimony, I see...
Coating my soul; with each golden ray.
Shadowed and ambulated, the trees
beckon as arms of a friend embracing thee...
The drapery of darkness opens...
...triggers a new day!



connecting to:
Wednesday Hodgepodge

52 comments :

  1. Your lovely poem is so totally descriptive of this last picture, I am amazed. I really know nothing about football! Your first picture is sweet, rather vintage-like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the first picture is of our cat, Winston. He was laying under the afghan and I couldn't resist taking a picture.

      Delete
  2. I just loved this, the whole thing, Anni. Although I haven't commented lately, it's only because I'm traveling. When we put our hands over our hearts, we say, ".... and to the Republic for which it stands." Your beautiful poem is one of my favorites of your writings, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...just hope you're enjoying your time with your sister and the beautiful Florida weather this time of year.

      Delete
  3. Love both of the pictures you shared today. One is cute, the other beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your poem and the great meme. Souped up cars, eh? Have you been racing down Ocean Drive? :) The kitty is beautiful~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I leave that for the younger generation now. No racing for me these days, well...maybe racing to the potty spots now and then. That is a race in time sometimes. LOL

      Delete
  5. What a marvelous post this is. I love your poem and random thought.

    I too am a political junkie. I am in total agreement with your first answer! It is pathetic how many people in our country are clueless. That explains a lot!

    I am not a sports fan. However, I do keep up with things such as the dire problem with steroid usage in athletes. I too think every single one should have all records removed. I also think they should be prosecuted as they are such heroes to upcoming young people interested in and competing in sports. Steroids are very dangerous and these guys have set an atmosphere that makes being competitive professionally nearly impossible without enhancement drugs. This is so so dangerous for our youth!

    I downloaded the questions early then storms started hitting us and I didn't do this one this week. I had to shut everything down.

    Great post Anni...Happy WW! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Jackie...I just hope there wasn't any loss of life or property damage in those tornadoes.

      Delete
  6. LOL to answer #5-this is one I hear often especially now that both daughters have kind of returned home from college! Love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only Bud would offer to cook...but I don't like peanut butter sandwiches that much. lOL

      Delete
  7. haha to question # 5...That was DEFINITELY my most hated question when my 3 teenaged boys were in the house. It was almost all I ever heard! Loved the poem! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this stage in life, cooking is the least of my concern. lol Glad you enjoyed the poetry today.

      Delete
  8. I don't cook either. Hubby usually asks "What do you want for dinner?" then gets upset because I say "whatever you want to cook".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I get the very same thing from Bud when I ask him what he wants for dinner.

      Delete
  9. Hi Anni!

    Yes, my blog went a bit beserk last week as I picked up some weird html code for the Hodgepodge post! Fixed now thanks to the wonderful technical wizards at WordPress!

    I've never seen or played baseball. It's not a sport you really see in the UK apart from in American films or tv dramas! :) It sounds like a game commonly played in schools here called 'rounders' but more professional. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of rounders, but never seen how it's played.

      Delete
  10. I'm right with you on the "What's for dinner?" question... seriously, people... it's 4:30, I have at least another hour before full fledged "What AM I making for dinner?" panic sets in... leave me alone! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get asked that by my brothers and hated it -especially when I didn't want to cook! So I understand.

      Delete
    2. Henry Creww! -rofl....you got that right!!

      Delete
    3. pursuing kindness....Oh, it's a pain. Especially when cooking is something that should go out the window the minute you retire. [insert wink]

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful photo and poem to go along with it.

    Love your answer to number 2! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by! I just can't stand the thought of biting on the bone. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, okay, now I understand your response. Gotcha.

      Delete
  13. Yeah...not a fan of Chris asking me, "What's for dinner?" Now, when he asks, "Do you want to go out and grab something to eat?" I'm all IN! I didn't know you were a poet...a very talented one, at that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya....I like that question much much more!!!

      Delete
  14. I love wings, and so does my DD ... DH not so much. So I have wings most often when with DD. I prefer the drummies and she prefers to pull-apart pieces ... so it works perfectly! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I like the drumettes and Bud likes the pull apart..so it works good here too.

      Delete
  15. Love your Random Thought, poem and photo! Beautiful!
    Never would have guessed you to have had a souped up car as a teen....interesting. My first husband loved them, my Dad hated his 68 Chevelle with the jacked up rear end and motor so loud that it made the windows jar as he got near the house. We could never sneak in late in that car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in all truthfulness, it isn't the engine that is loud but the exhaust that makes the noise. Yep, tho I never had a hitched-up rear axle but I used to have pin striping, mag wheels, chrome, etc. etc.

      Delete
  16. Lovely photo at the end! Lots of people answered #5 with 'What's for dinner"...my hubs hates when I ask him what I should make first thing in the morning.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I would ask Bud that question, I'd get "whatever you feel like cooking".

      Delete
  17. Enjoyed all of your answers, but especially your Random! I am a big fan of poetry and photography! Beautiful!
    until next time...nel

    ReplyDelete
  18. when it comes to sports I have little or no interest. I usually ask my husband about his teams and how they did but that's the extent of it.
    I like those drumettes too, much better than the regular wings. We used to sell them at the store with butter and garlic...YUM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up with three brothers, sports was a big thing on Saturdays and Sundays.

      Mmmmmmmmm, butter and garlic you say? I'm at your doorstep real soon.

      Delete
  19. Winnie what a beautiful picture...and the oval shape is quite complimentary
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M&M...you know by now I love me some kitties!!!

      Delete
  20. I am with you - I like chicken wings. And I won't be a watching the game. And I cringe when someone asks me - what's for dinner. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, then, we seem to be kindred spirits.

      Delete
  21. Just found your blog and am now following. I'll definitely be participating in the bird meme! Thanks so much for stopping by my place and introducing yourself. Love your photography and blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be looking forward to your bird photos!!!

      Delete
  22. I really did not like the dinner question either. I was usually so tired by the time dinner rolled around that I had a hard time thinking straight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, I understand that!!! Thing is, now that I'm retired, I don't wanna cook all that much.

      Delete
  23. I love, love, love your poem, Anni! And don't get me started on your photos! You are one talented awesome lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. #5-I don't like that question either, and I only have to cook for myself! :D That is a beautiful picture and poem at the end. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

.