my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Piece by piece -art is formed...

If you follow my blog somewhat you may recall I've mentioned a favorite artist of mine. Beverly Doolittle. Long ago, lon-n-n-g ago, she was probably the first artist to make her mark in the world of art to be considered a camouflage painter. By that, I mean, she paints a picture and within that work she has many 'hidden' objects comprising of one larger complete canvas. I've also mentioned a few times, my favorite of her work is "The Forest Has Eyes". Also, long ago, during my recovery from surgery, when we lived in Tucson AZ, I started working on a jigsaw puzzle of the very same. After it was completely finished, I loved it. I knew I could never afford an actual print of her work, so Bud got busy with jigsaw puzzle glue and then we framed it. It's been in our house[s] ever since. I find myself at times, lounging on the couch, reading, and I will glance up at the framed art puzzle and see how many faces I can find. Different web sites have different totals of the hidden faces you can find...I have counted up to 30...other sites say 16...while others have more than 30 faces. I guess you have to see it to believe it. Count the faces yourself and see what you come up with. Well, in the interim, Bud and I have purchased one of Bev Doolittle's prints. Bud's favorite - "Woodland Encounters"...a painting of a snow scene with Aspen trees and a very prominent red fox. But, hidden among the trees [camoulaged] you'd find a spotted pony carrying a Native American Indian. The point of my post is this...a few weeks ago, I found a box of 3 puzzles. All Bev Doolittle works. During our breaks in decorating the house, and now with the few days of inclement weather, the two of us worked on the largest of the puzzles and finished it. Bud then again used the jigsaw glue and framed it after drying....

Guardian Spirits
by Bev Doolittle





I found these thoughts online and they're 'lessons from a jigsaw'---
  1. Don't force a fit. If something is meant to be, it will come together naturally.
  2. When things aren't going so well, take a break. Everything will look different when you return.
  3. Be sure to look at the big picture. Getting hung up on the little pieces only leads to frustration.
  4. Perseverance pays off. Every important puzzle went together bit by bit, piece by piece.
  5. When one spot stops working, move to another. But be sure to come back later.
  6. The creator of the puzzle gave you the picture as a guidebook.
  7. Variety is the spice of life. It's the different colors and patterns that make the puzzle interesting.
  8. Establish the border first. Boundaries give a sense of security and order.
  9. Don't be afraid to try different combinations. Some matches are surprising.
  10. Take time to celebrate your successes.
  11. Anything worth doing takes time and effort. A great puzzle can't be rushed.


If you'd like to view most of Doolittle's works View Here


CONNECTING TO:
Ruby Tuesday2

26 comments :

  1. What fun! I love doing jigsaw puzzles, but lately can't seem to find time to do any. I have a framed one that I did long ago...loved your lessons from jigsaw puzzles - too true! Nice to feel like visiting for a change. I am getting better, I think...just taking it one day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda...it's always great to see you around blogland. And it's good to read that you're feeling better as the days go by.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful work and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can learn a lot from a puzzle! I really like her work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. her work is fantastic, I agree

      Delete
  4. I love her work too. I just peeked and found the indian and I counted 8 faces just in a few seconds. But, I have seen her work before and know there are more.

    Your puzzles look great. I had a girlfriend that use to do all of her puzzles this way. The last time I saw her a few years ago she still had her favorite ones and they looked great.

    It's a great project and your advice is pretty darn good too! I can never accomplish anything I even like unless I am truly relaxed, inspired and ready to work on it.

    Thanks for the know how on how to do this. My girlfriend never explained how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and it's super easy. You will find the glue at any craft shop, and very little expense. That's always 'a plus' for me. LOL

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful puzzle.
    I haven't put a jigsaw puzzle together in years...Madi would be way too much help.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we do our puzzles on the work bench...the kitties aren't allowed in there for fear of them knocking something off and injuring themselves.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful puzzles ... and you're so right about the lessons that can be learned from puzzles!

    You're the second blogger who's been working puzzles, and DD is working a puzzle, too. I'd been wanting to for a little while ... and now I'm really anxious to get to work on one. I wonder if I'll have time to get one started today. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you'll be busy preparing for your trip, I'm sure.

      Delete
  7. I am saving jigsaw puzzles for my old age. I do enjoy working them, but they also frustrate me. Those eleven tips would definitely help me out. Love the pictures, and thanks for introducing me to Bev Doolittle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...well now, I'm what you'd consider a ripe old age. So working puzzles is the 'in' thing to do. No rush catching up with me tho. rofl

      Delete
  8. I am familiar with her work. It is lovely. I enjoy puzzles, too. Have a new one from Christmas.
    Blessings,
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once your cross stitch project is complete, you can then find time to work on the new puzzle.

      Delete
  9. I LOVE this!!! I kept a puzzle out on my 'puzzle table' for many many years. All through the time I had children at home. We even had Puzzle Parties to get the Christmas one finished before the New Year. Yes, there are lessons to be learned from puzzles. I learned a lot as an artist by the subtle changes in values when you work with the 'same' colored pieces.

    Thank you for always having such wonderful post every morning. I know this takes precious time but you are such a gift to the world of blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Linda. I hope you have save travels back to your favorite quads.

      Delete
  10. My brother also has a collection of her prints and many of the galleries here have quite a few of them. They are really fun aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohhhhhhh, I admire those who collect pieces of art.

      Delete
  11. Everything is true from 1-11. We love doing puzzles here, framed some of them!

    Hopping from RT.
    My Ruby Tuesday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. working on puzzles is therapeutic.

      Delete
  12. I admire Bev Doolittle too, especially her paintings of horses and of wolves. You are building a nice collection of jigsaw puzzles framed and of prints.

    ReplyDelete

.