“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






It moved...it's alive!!

Well I did, finally, finish composing all the bird photos yesterday afternoon. At least getting them framed and some with a watercolor effect. Now, it's going through all of them [I'm gonna use about 250] named/titled. That'll be next week's project. I know for a fact, there are a few that are UFB [unidentified flying birds], so I'll have to get out my handy dandy guide and see if I can find what they are. After they're named, I will then get the DVD maker out and begin making the movie to watch on the TV.


HANS SUTER WILDLIFE REFUGE... a Bird HAVEN.


Speaking of birds, Thursday, Bud and I took a couple hours out of the day to get outside since it warmed up nicely and the sun broke through the dreary grayness. We drove to a city park reserve and walked to spot some birds along the feeder canal that goes into the bay. Now one particular bird, the night heron, if we ever do see them in the bush during the day, they're all asnooze and oblivious to what is nearby. Well, I should say that they're sleeping the day away since they're nocturnal hunters. And usually when I do photograph them, they're like the pink plastic flamingos....stalwart as in unmoving, barely breathing...like a plastic statue. Y'know. Well, this one time, one was actually moving!! Surprise, surprise. At least to me.


..this is their usual daylight stance, most often with closed eyes, tho this one had it's eyes open...they're reddish orange eyes. Most often if they're spied in the bush during the day, they're sound asleep with their oversized head tucked deep within its chest.

As I walked the boardwalk, I happened to look back, and it was watching my every move...but, lo and behold...IT had moved!!

...then, as I stopped to watch it watch me, boredom took over and I guess it figured I wasn't a threat after all...it began cleaning itself. Right there...in front of everyone. At half past daylight o'thirty!!!

...the egrets were quite active, one in particular, after we got to the covered gazebo viewing area, was hunting bugs in the grasses, just inches away from me. While the one photo I'm sharing is one that was grooming itself along the feeder channel. Great Blue Herons, coots, ducks, egrets, pelicans, white ibis with some juvenile ibis [they're spotted brown and white] were making good use of the fresh water haven this beautiful afternoon. When we left the area, before getting to the parking lot, you walk through a dense wooded area...there, along with cardinals, phoebes flying here and there, there were a great number of yellow rumped warblers. I only got one clear shot of one, and wouldn't you know, it was showing me the UNDERside of the rump. Figures!!

yellow rumped warbler

juvenile white ibis

great blue heron

egret



---connecting to:
Saturday Photo Hunt* this week's challenge: HAVEN




44 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Nice....and warm, and balmy, and pretty.

      Delete
  2. You get some amazing bird shots! Cool to see that night heron awake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari, thanks....I gotta say, I loved laughing at that video you had shared!!

      Delete
  3. Great bird shots, Anni! Wow I am impressed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to read this comment, thanks!

      Delete
  4. so wunderbare Bilder von den Vögeln

    LG vom katerchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, I liked your kitty cat images today.

      Delete
  5. The Night Heron has a suspicious look ! I didn't know that it was so lazy ! I have to admit, that my knowledge in birds is very limited ! Maybe I was a cat in my previous life !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but if you were a cat, then knowledge of birds should come easily! LOL

      Delete
  6. i like those night-herons. we get the yellow-crowned here sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen ONE yellow-crowned here in this area.

      Delete
  7. Those were breath taking - I just love love love seeing nature like that.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sandie. I'm glad you liked the photos today.

      Delete
  8. These are amazing, Ms Anni and they sure are photogenic too! *wink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that if the birds stand still long enough, I get a good photo. rofl Thanks for the compliment today.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful birds. Anyhow my ceramic egrets was one of my best sellers.

    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they are beautiful birds.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Well.....I love your beautiful butterfly image too.

      Delete
  11. You always have the most interesting bird shots Anni. I love the one of the heron with his head tucked into his wing. And the last one of the egret is just gorgeous!
    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous shots!
    Happy Hunting ~ I'm just glad you are shooting with a lens!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful birds! Looks like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous birds, Anni. :) Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Much to my dismay, I have yet to see or photograph a Night Heron. Love the action you captured, Anni.
    Great shots of all the birds that you and Bud saw. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love birds so I enjoyed your choice so much. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Anni, marvellous captures! Herons, egrets and ibis in one day! Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So love your birding adventures! Always such fun to read! At least we know that one character definitely has a yellow rump! You've proved it! And love that last egret photo! The tail looks so much like our lyre bird's tail when it's dancing! But I still haven't seen one to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful birds, your photos are something!

    ReplyDelete
  21. a successful bird sighting day. You sure do see a nice variety

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am up Anni and feeling better and I am so glad. How lucky for you with the night heron huh? These are just great shots. I must say the Egret is really beautiful. It must be wonderful to live where there are so many varied species.

    Now I want a new camera with a super zoom lens and I want to move also! Walter is going to be surprised when I tell him I want to move because of birding!

    These are wonderful Anni!! Thanks for stopping by. I laid down for a bit and do feel a little better! I hope your DVD is coming along! Happy Saturday night!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anni your bird photos are really good. Your book and DVD should impressive to look at. Glad the weather was nice for you! Still waiting here in Dallas.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the ibis and the night heron!!! These are birds I have never seen, love your shots!!! Well I did see a night heron one time, many years ago, from a distance. But he was way back in the bushes sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow! Those are beautiful shots. I'm always in awe of nature's surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your bird photos are so great. It is always a pleasure visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow - simply amazing shots!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great photo's! I love the ibis.

    ReplyDelete
  29. He Anni, you have a wonderful quote from Thoreau there in your header! LOL
    Good you looked back! I never heard from that Night Heron, great you got him!

    Liebe Grüße,
    Pia

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Imagens espetaculares! Não me canso de observar pássaros, são lindos. Beijos!

    http://compiladodeideia.blogspot.com.br/2013/01/haven.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks warm in your place, beautiful shots.

    Catching up with Camera Critters.

    Man's Best Friend

    ReplyDelete

.