“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Whatever cranks your gears [literally]...

first, let me get this out of the way, I couldn't resist--'natural' gas- of course you know where my mind was on this one....




connecting to:



_ _ _


HODGEPODGE
Joyce has these questions for us this week:



1. So, when did you last take a walk in the woods? A stroll along the beach? A drive going nowhere in particular in the car? We do this most every day of the week if possible. Either in the wooded areas of certain birding parks that lead to the bay waters, or take a drive to the beaches and walk.

2. Are you sending Christmas cards this year? About how many do you send? Photo card or something more traditional? How do you display the cards you receive? I've slowly, over the years, stopped doing so many. This year, it'll be the first year I'm NOT sending ANY. The ones we do receive, they're usually on the hutch in the dining room or on the entertainment center in the living room....actually, wherever there IS room.

3. What's a word you've heard too much of in the past week? Fiscal  or Cliff or both!  But it's not 'hearing' it's reading.  What I've heard a lot is "What's there to eat, I'm hungry".  Like a growing toddler Bud is....and he's growing leaps and bounds...in the middle.  {insert wink}

4. December 13th is National Cocoa Day-are you a fan? Plain or flavored? Marshmallows or no marshmallows? I'm not a 'fanatic' about it, but I do like it. It has to be a cold day to really enjoy it, which isn't often where I live....and definitely NO MARSHMALLOWS.

5. What is something you do to help alleviate the hectic pace of the Christmas season? With it just being the two of us, it's not that hectic. The only thing that is 'big' is decorating. I still decorate the house and will always as long as I am able-bodied.

6. Besides jewelry, what's a favorite sparkly-glittery item in your home or closet? I have t-shirts that have sparkly touches. One of my favorites is a black one with gold and diamond-like fleur-de-lis, and a purple one with a sparkly kokopelli*.

7. Share a favorite line or two from any Christmas carol. Oh my....I think I like 'em ALL except for one that they call a Christmas carol and it's definitely NOT. Never will be in my opinion [Something about a Grandma and a Reindeer?-----ya, that one!!] But to answer the question...since my mom died in 1990 and my dad four years after her passing, I still miss them. Especially around Christmas since it was a tradition to have the whole family at mom and dad's house!!! Trust me, the house was filled with gifts, food, love, and family!!! So my favorite line from a Christmas carol ---I'll be home for Christmas if only in my dreams!!! -circa 1980 [check out my sidebar at the bottom...there is a video commercial that remains here 24/7] ---it reminds me of the holidays at home and brings tears to my eyes. I play it often during the year..

8. Insert your own random thought here. I'm so glad that the Houston Texans are doing so well tho they lost to the Patriots Monday night....but finally-------------the Dallas Cowboys [which team I so dislike; always have] are not so good. FINALLY!!! Go Houston!!!!! And speaking of 'finally'....we got a cold front that moved in. Yay, finally some 'wintry weather' without snow. It'll be a tough one if Broncos and Texans have to play for a spot in the Super Bowl...what a dilemma that would be for me. I'm not sure how all this works out in the end of the season; don't even know if it'd be a possibility. Broncos I've followed since I was a kid...Texans since they began their franchise in 1997/98.

* In case you want to know about the kokopelli ---Kokopelli is a prehistoric deity depicted frequently in ancient rock art, estimated to be over a thousand years old. He is often described as a fertility God in some American Southwest tribes; even today.


connecting to:

52 comments :

  1. Enjoyed this my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that car - and my thoughts went in the same direction as yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes two of us. ;o)

      Delete
  3. Happy Twelves to you today, Anni. I don't do Christmas cards any more, except for a few. I have retired from that task, too! :-)

    I love sparkly things and have a couple of scarves with sparkles in them that I'll pull out today and maybe even wear one. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...happy 12s....I like that DJan. Sparkly, like your personality.

      Delete
  4. Your sparkly t-shirts sound cute! Having lived in the south and in Arizona, I love both the fleur-de-lis and the kokopelli! (Plus, kokopelli is just a fun word to say!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it IS a fun word, isn't it?!!

      Delete
  5. Gosh I have to admit that I don't send out Christmas cards - I stopped a couple years ago. And I like my hot chocolate with lots of chocolate and milk. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sandie....but I must admit, there IS a great difference between hot chocolate and hot cocoa. Hot chocolate is best 'cause it's not so bitter.

      Delete
  6. how wonderful to be so close to the beach, one of my favorite thing is to walk by the ocean.

    Thanks for stopping by today!
    Blessings
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's a great place to retire...well, heck, it's just plain a great place. No matter the age.

      Delete
  7. I am with you on the marshmellows. Hot chocolate is great on a cold winter night before going to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....helps us get some restful z-z-z-z-z-z's.

      Delete
  8. I love the car~how funny! I don't live near the woods, but I did go hiking in the desert last Sunday (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shara....your comment links on your blog are broken; taking me to nowhere. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed this as always!!
    My thoughts went that way also with the gas thingy...
    I am not sending cards out this year either.
    I like the broncos this yr as I like to watch Peyton. I do however..please forgive me...like the C-boys like them better with Troy however.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Troy A much better as a game commentator. So many don't know football and act like they do [Howard Cosell for one] ---this guy knows his stuff!!! That car just had to be exposed...no wonder there is pollution. roflmao

      Delete
  10. Tee hee, I only heard the Grandma got runover by a reindeer song a few years ago. It is pretty awful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's not even funny if you ask me.

      Delete
  11. my husband and son are playing fantasy football this season ... so I know WAY more about football than I ever cared to know!! LOL I know exactly what you're talking about!

    "I'll be home for Christmas" has touched my heart since Dec 2003 and my husband was in Iraq that year... Love the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conny: I can't find a link to your blog anywhere. :0(

      Delete
  12. yuck! I also dislike marshmallows in my hot chocolate. My nephew likes putting a bunch in his, eeek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me...pass on the marshmallows!!!

      Delete
  13. chaha..natural gas..pretty funny..and what car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally wouldn't drive it. LOLOLOL

      Delete
  14. When I was little my dad liked to play "that Christmas song" to irritate my mom. I thought it was hilarious until I was old enough to understand the lyrics--somehow it's not that funny now. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can say with all honesty...it would irritate the heck outta me too.

      Delete
  15. Love the colors on the car!
    There was a terrible natural gas explosion near here yesterday. Not sure I'd want it in my car.
    I've been making homemade Christmas cards for about five years. Last night I told my husband I thought this would be the last year - too much work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, when Bud is in our car....it's sometimes loaded with 'natural gas'. LOLOL Homemade Christmas cards would be an ideal gift.

      Delete
  16. I love the Elvis verson of I'll be Home for Christmas. It always makes me smile. A lot of people are not doing cards at all or just a few. I guess with ecards and such, there is not as much need. Plus the cost of stamps keep going up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, it's all about the economy and cost of living these days.

      Delete
  17. Hi Anni, Love your header. Sometimes, I wish my car would run on my own 'natural' gas... ha ha ha....

    Love reading your Q&A's... I still send cards at Christmas.. AND-still get quite a few. I think I would miss getting them IF I didn't send them any longer.

    I also have no stress this time of year since it's just the two of us also... I love Christmas and truly enjoy it now.

    We are enjoying the beach in beautiful Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina. I will think (or thought) of you today at 12 minutes and 12 seconds after 12 noon on 12/12/11.... Unbelievable.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy that beach Betsy....the best place on earth for me is a sandy beach...warm and tropical.

      Delete
  18. I'd root for the Broncos : ) My grandma used to love the Broncos (my dad grew up in CO) and she knew all there was to know back when Elway played for them. We love Peyton and always support his team. Once a Vol always a Vol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I go as far back as Craig Morton as quarterback.

      Delete
  19. I'm pretty sure that my thoughts on the car are pretty much the same that your were.
    The question about cards reminds me that I still have not gotten mine made out yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think just about everyone thought the same.

      Delete
  20. I also like I"ll Be Home for Christmas. I heard a story about that song on the radio last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hmmmm, care to elaborate a bit?

      Delete
  21. I need to walk more! Thats nice you do it so often. I think less and less people are sending cards these days I enjoy receiving them but really not the end of the world if people stop. Your sparkle shirts sound great I love fleur de lis! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and happy Friday to you.

      Delete
  22. Natural gas notwithstanding, I like the colors on the car!

    As for the Broncos/Texans dilemma, I have been a Tigers and Reds baseball fans since I was a child. In the late 80s I was all set to move to Atlanta and I embraced the Braves as my future home team. I was still in Michigan mind you, but the plan was to be in Atlanta as soon as I could. I drove with friends to Cincinnati to see the Reds and when they were playing the Braves I wore my Braves gear and cheered for the Braves. UNTIL... In 1995 it was for the League Championship and watching on TV I realized that I was not cheering for the Braves. I thought I'd be cheering for the Braves but kind in my bashing of the Reds. No. When it really counts, in the playoffs, the heart speaks louder than the brain. When the Broncos and Texans play each other and it really counts your heart will let you know how you really feel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know 'bout that....I like both teams. How can I possibly root for one without rooting for the other?

      Delete
  23. I'll take your marshmallows! More for me. :) That's a really nice song. There is simply nothing like family being together at Christmas, or any time of the year. I imagine I'll be in your shoes some day, so I want to treasure each moment right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, yes, yes...treasure your time together.

      Delete
  24. It is always fun to read your comments! Thanks for linking up to WW this week - I appreciate your faithfulness (I am hoping to get back to regular blogging after the first of the year). Love the shot of the car...my mind went to the same place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as long as you're doing well Linda, that's what counts. Thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  25. What else were we supposed to think with that car? LOL
    Fun Q&As, a great way to get to know you better. I've been a Broncos fan for quite some time, but was frustrated with personnel changes. Figures they are doing great this year after I'd written them off and started searching for a new team. Too many Dallas fans in my family, so I'd better keep quiet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...probably think in terms of the real stuff instead of the .... uuuummmm, exhaust? LOL

      Delete
  26. It's beautiful. Love the colour.

    ReplyDelete

.