“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Ho Ho Ho...



Santa at the Mall
"...it's okay little one, I'm a jolly fellow!"
connecting to: Ruby Tuesday2



_ _ _

Austin Texas - Texas State Capitol Part II




"Surrender of Santa Anna"
Artist William Henry Huddle painted the scene of the morning of April 22, 1836, the day after Texas' victory over Mexico at the Battle of San Jacinto. Mexican General Antonio López de Santa Anna, in the uniform of a private soldier, was brought before Texas General Sam Houston as a prisoner of war. Houston, wounded in the battle, rested on a pallet under the oak tree while arranging an armistice with Santa Anna. To the right, seated on a log, was Erastus (Deaf) Smith, famous Texas scout; the captured Mexican battle flags were leaning nearby against the tree. To the left and rear of Houston was his Secretary of War, Thomas Jefferson Rusk, who was standing next to Colonel Mirabeau B. Lamar. Over thirty other historical figures were depicted in this painting. It has been on display in the first floor south wing of the Capitol since February 1891.


trivia question:
WHAT FAMOUS CIVIL WAR GENERAL SERVED AS AN OFFICER IN THREE DIFFERENT NATIONS?


...the Texas Army, the United States Army, and the Confederate States Army. He [Albert Sidney Johnston] was killed in the Civil War's Battle of Shiloh and was the highest-ranking officer, Union or Confederate, killed during the entire war. This photo of the painting is located in the Senate Chamber of the capitol.




On the second floor of the Capitol's east wing is the Senate Chamber which still looks much as it did when it was originally constructed. The 31 original walnut desks are still in use. On the right: 'The Rostrum' where the Lieutenant Governor presides.


The Chamber of the House of Representatives is the largest room in the Capitol and used today as it was originally intended in 1888. There are 150 members including the Speaker of the House who presides over the body.


These large brass chandeliers hang in the center of the Chamber[s] and were installed in 1890. The lights in the star points spell out "TEXAS". With so many people there at the time we were there and mostly roped off, it was difficult to get a really clear photo. I'll try to help out: Just above my watermark "Hootin' Anni's"...the "T"...go clockwise to "E" then, "X" then "A" then "S". [click to enlarge for a better view]

...She holds a sword in her right hand and a gilded star in her left which she holds up to the sky. The Goddess stands 15 feet, 7 1/2 inches tall which is said to make the Texas Capitol taller than the U.S. Capitol. [this statue is the 2nd...the original was restored and now displayed in the historical museum]


From the balustrade surrounding the atrium, peer down into the Legislative Reference Library, the repository for materials related to the Texas legislature. This working library, once a division of the State Library, features some unusual artifacts including the desk-like chair along the north wall. This chair was supposedly used by Santa Anna during his Texas campaigns.


View from the Chamber window looking to the city skyline...the pointed building in the background [left side of photo] is the FROST BANK Tower --3rd tallest building in Austin, Texas.


...to the capitol's monument grounds...



The park like area surrounding the capitol building consists of approximately 22 acres. Monuments are the physical and symbolic center of government for the State of Texas. These photos below are just the ones in the front area of the building...


Left to right:
Hood's Texas Brigade
Confederate Soldiers Monument
Heroes of the Alamo

This monument [rather a new addition] pays tribute to the contributions by Tejanos as permanent testimony of the Spanish-Mexican heritage that has influenced and is inherent in present-day Texas culture.



YESTERDAY, if you missed it....the capitol building PART I --- click HERE to view the dome, the rotunda, even the brass hinges that has "Texas Capitol" etched into each and every door, etc.




FURTHER READING:

WALKING TOUR -note: PDF file

34 comments :

  1. Always awesome, always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, you're just so positive; that I like about you.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful, historic place! I love that they are still using the same desks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep...original desks...they have been modified some, but still the ones used long long long ago.

      Delete
  3. Nice history lesson, plus great pictures, Anni. If I get a chance to visit the place, I will. I finally saw all the letters in TEXAS once you pointed them out to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..enlarging that photo helps some.

      Delete
  4. Love the pride put into these buildings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely that I'll give you...something you don't see too much of these days...pride in our work.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous information, and a great selection of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ho Ho Ho yourself - boy that was a beautiful Santa there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe!!! Funny thing is he knew I had my cellphone out, and didn't look over at me...I guess I had to pay to photograph him. Bah Humbug.

      Delete
  7. We love going to Austin...such a fun place. Last time we were there, we asked a policeman where a good place to eat could be found...he directed us to a Mexican food place that served DELICIOUS food. He also told us not to miss the flying of the bats at the old bridge. Well, I thought, yeah, right, probably be 6 bats fly out from under the bridge...WRONG...the sky was totally FULL of those little flying creatures. Such fun to watch them....
    Have a beautiful Christmas with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen photos and videos of the bats. Someday I may go there in person.

      Delete
  8. Hootin Annie,

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Thanks so much for the history lesson and the wonderful pictures of Austin. I would love to visit there someday. So far, I have only made it to Dallas and Denton, but would love to visit other parts of the state. Hope you have a great week.

    Yael from Home Garden Diggers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dallas is just a big city if you want my opinion...Austin has a lot of great ambiance for anyone.

      Delete
  9. love the lesson and the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed it all Annmarie

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed the tour but I want to know if you sat on Santa's lap?....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was too busy trying to 'pick up kids'. roflmao

      Delete
  11. Hi Anni oh my goodness you and Mr. B have been very busy touring your beautiful surroundings. Your picture are so crisp. Of course you know our favorite is Sandy Claws.

    Hugs Madi and Mom and Madi sends meows to Winnie and Tahoe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs right backatcha M&M! Winnie and Tahoe butt heads with the Diva!!

      Delete
  12. Hohoho...fröhliche Adventszeit wünscht Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a wonderful read Anni, very interesting, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful capture of the big jolly fella in his red suit! Love it! And an interesting wander round the features of the capitol building!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the star on the ceiling!

    Visiting late from Ruby Tuesday.

    Hope you can also leave me a message at my RUBY post
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they say "Better late than never". :o)

      Delete
  16. Okay, I gotta' know. Did you take notes, did you bring home a pamphlet, or do you have a steel trap for a brain? All those facts...so intereting...but, I'd have to be copying it from something! I wouldn't remember by the time I got back to the car! lol I admire anyone with a good memory! Again, thank you so much for inviting me back to read this. It's so very interesting now that I am old enough to appreciate our history. We recently took a little trip to Salado, and I was surprised by all the history there. I had no idea. As a matter of fact, when we have been driving around trying to get shots of barns and such, we have stopped at the historical markers we used to pass by without a thought. I guess we never had time before, or our kids were taking our time, but we never did stop to read about the sites around our area and I am so enjoying it now. I'm glad our Texas government (or whoever it was ) put these markers up with the information about their pasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually find the info online when I post a photo I've taken. LOL
      And yes, I love the historical markers...in EACH state, not just Texas'

      Delete

.