“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






A 'wordless' 'watery' Fishy Tale....











CONNECTING TO:






_ _ _


HODGEPODGE

Here are Joyce's questions for us this week, and my answers...



1. What's the best and worst thing thing about growing older? Best: wisdom and freedom to do what I choose without a time clock.... Worst: Aches and pains showing up where I would've never dreamed of when younger.

2. Autumn arrives this week in the Northern Hemisphere...what one thing do you love most about the fall season?
Leaves rustling along the sidewalks, the smell of fireplace smoke in the air, cooler days and nights, COLORS...which boils down to ONE thing...the CHANGE of SEASONS.

3. Speaking of fall...pumpkin seems to be flavoring everything these days-are you a fan? What's your favorite pumpkin flavored food or beverage? I'm definitely a 'fan' of this:   it's not a 'food item'...but it's flavored by scent, and that would be the pumpkin spice candles!!! My favorite food:  it's the traditional pumpkin pie!!!!!

4. Since we're on the subject of fall...what's the worst fall you've ever taken? Well, long ago, I took a FALL down a side of a mountain....luckily I only broke two fingers. Had to have my wedding rings CUT off because of the intense swelling. Then, I also think that when I FALL in love [with pets mostly but a couple of humans I can think of right now] and have to say goodbye to those that left me behind when they pass on before me....it's a 'fall' I never got over.

5. If you could own a prop from any film what would you choose? Funny you should ask this...just a couple of weeks ago, I was thinking what I'd like to own from the movie set of Gone With the Wind. I think I've narrowed it down to one item and that would be the red dress that Rhett forced Scarlet to wear to Ashley's birthday dinner!!


[image courtesy of Google Images - no infringement intended]

6. What's the most interesting word you've read or learned in the past week? Actually, it's TWO words that come to mind that I USED this week...We were discussing Hitler's Mein Kempf which I'm reading, and I told Bud that his [Hitler's not Bud's] actions are quite similar to what any psychiatrist would label him and that would be "Cognitive Dissonance"....I learned the use of those words tho, years ago, when I worked with a co-op of psychiatric offices and doctors ---which could loosely translate to: tension which comes from holding two conflicting thoughts in the mind at the same time --the man was a total weirdo. Mein Kempf is an autobiography, written by Hitler [Mein Kempf meaning My Battle]....So many times throughout the book, I've read where he says one ideal/idea in one paragraph and then the following paragraph he's contradicting what he previously wrote!! I have found myself so many times, going "Huh?" And then, having to go back and re-read....hence, two interesting words...Cognitive Dissonance [Bud was thrilled with my reference...NOT....let's just say HE had to go look up the meaning; not knowing what I was referring to in my thoughts on this man of evil and historical recognition]. LOL I do know from reading this, I am MORE interested in the people that followed him...what gave them their fascination and awe of this man?!!!!!

7. When was the last time you locked yourself out of your house, car, or office? Was it a big deal? The scenario wasn't a 'lock-out' per sé .... the door from the garage to the kitchen....the latch jammed [it wasn't locked], and the knob would not turn one way or the other...had to jimmy the lock, broke the latch in the process...had to wedge the door closed and drive to Home Depot to buy a whole new mechanism and replace!!! To answer the 2nd part of the question: Was it a big deal? No...my motto these days is "100 years from now, it'll make no difference".

8. Insert your own random thought here. The countdown for NCIS Season #10 is coming to a close....six more days 'til the new season begins!!! From the Cliffhanger of an episode last Spring ---Tuesday night, the first part of a two-parter [from what I understand] will finally be aired on CBS!! Just a couple of days ago, Bud was telling me a few 'spoilers' on McGee [one of the investigators]...and then, I had to go a'searchin' for more....CAN'T wait. The anticipation here in the house of Hootin' Anni's is rampant!!! SPOILERS ONE and spoiler two...






CONNECTING TO:


76 comments :

  1. Lovley shots, and is that a Black Winged Stilt at the bottom of your laast shot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Adam, yes it is a Black Necked Stilt!!!

      Delete
  2. Great serie of photos! Lovely to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of your responses to growing older. Amen. And those birds sure caught their fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, age has it's ups and downs.

      Delete
  4. Anni, they are all beautiful birds. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bird shots...and that spoiler! I can't wait for the season to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either....come on Tuesday!!! LOL

      Delete
  6. Great post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very telling fish story. :) Also enjoyed the best and the worst. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois, glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  8. They will survive! ^_^

    Visiting from Water World Wednesday
    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep. With the catch of the day...each day.

      Delete
  9. I'm also a fan of NCIS! Can't wait to see what happens next! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You me, and Magee. LOL Should that be McGee?

      Delete
  10. GREAT pictures of those birds, how beautiful!!

    I always enjoy reading your answers to the questions on Hodgepodge and this was no exception. I love Fall as well, it's my favourite season:-) The leaves are starting to change colours over here and it's getting much cooler...love it! While out shopping across the border with Kristin a couple of days before the wedding, I bought pumpkin spice creamer as well as pumpkin spice flavoured coffee...yummmm!!! I need to take out my pumpkin spice candles, was forgetting about them!

    I'm also an avid NCIS watcher and like you, can't wait for the new season to start!!! It should be quite the two part season premiere!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pea...you and me both. And I just read on your blog that you went shopping for Halloween stuff? Oh, just kidding!!!

      Delete
  11. A great series of photos. I especially like the last one with the very much smaller bird in the front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...aren't those black-necked stilts cute?

      Delete
  12. Beautiful captures! I'm a big fan of NCIS too!

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh then, I'm sure you're counting down the hours 'til Tuesday also!!!

      Delete
  13. Well, they must eat to survive. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful bird pictures you show.
    Can agree with your answer to getting older .......
    The freedom to do what you want to do / wisdom and experience ....
    Of course, there is not much sand left in the hourglass.
    Wish you a good day :)
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I like your reference to sand in the hour glass today, Hanne.

      Delete
  15. Hi there - how do people find herons with fish? All of the ones I see could pass as plastic statues!

    Oh well, I'll have to keep trying!

    Thanks for linking to WBW.

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....now that you mentioned it Stewart, they DO look like plastic statues....MOST of the time!!

      Delete
  16. did that one guy steal the other guy's fish?????? that's a big rude!

    and i too love me pumpkin spice candles... sheesh, winter's not even left completely yet, but your fall sounds so nice it makes me want to go back there... hubby's gonna kill me if he hears me even thinking that!!! he's a summer dude...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you're the first to realize that the heron snatched the 'catch' from the egret.

      Delete
  17. wow, some one found a treat. yummy for them. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's a long time comin' for most.

      Delete
  18. I love your bird pictures and glad to have another Gone with the Wind fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, I LOVE the name of your blog!!!! Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  19. Fantastisch!!

    LG Mathilda

    ReplyDelete
  20. a big 'awww' to the poor bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, you're the 2nd one that realized that the heron took the fish away from the egret.

      Delete
  21. I love your pictures ... beautiful!

    Gone With the Wind is my favorite movie ... I can't believe I didn't come up with a prop from it.

    NCIS!! Counting down the days here, too. I've been recording summer re-runs since the middle of July ... since it doesn't look like I'll have the Season 9 DVDs here in time to get it all watched before the start of Season 10, I'll be watching these last 9 episodes between now and Tuesday evening. I've already told DH that he's going to have to go to the sewing room to watch the ball game in there ... at least until after NCIS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're back and had a good trip Kathy!!!!

      Delete
  22. Your bird pictures are always a treat. Pumpkin flavor isn't my favorite but the scent is definitely one of the best.

    If you want to read the daughter blurb click on the link just below the mention on my blog. It's fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh I'm glad you clarified it...I thought it was on Facebook. I read it. And, LOVED it!!!

      Delete
  23. Good Morning! Found you thru Linda's Wordless Wednesday. I am going to browse here, you have a lovely blog and I enjoyed your WW post. Your water bird shots are a sight to see! I read your "about me". We spend a bit of time in Venice, Florida in January and February. I hear you on #1 in your Q&A... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you stopped by then. I love having new visitors that stop by to view my thoughts and photos.

      Delete
  24. Excellent water shots...but then all your pics are pretty.

    I agree about aches and pains and aging. I tripped over some out of place mats during our morning walk at the mall yesterday. Landed on my knew and slide about 10 feet...too bad I wasn't sliding in for a home run. I reported it to the mall security and I'm thankful no extra aches and pains this am.

    Woohoo for the return of NCSI
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  25. A very nice presentation. Makes us take a minute and reflect on things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...enjoy everything life has to offer...especially when it comes to nature's best.

      Delete
  26. A lovely series of fishy photos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ha ha on the fishy tale... The bird in the last picture has a very triumphant look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dawn...I haven't 'seen' you in some time...glad you stopped by to visit.

      Delete
  28. I enjoyed learning more about you. The photos were nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you stopped by Lisa.

      Delete
  29. I love your pictures...so pretty! Ooh...that dress is such a keeper! I love "Gone With the Wind"! One of my favorite movies of all time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I too love Gone with the Wind!!

      Delete
  30. I loved the pictures of the birds - and the fish! A cute little story could easily be written to go along with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I agree, it would be a great 'fish tale' to be sure.

      Delete
  31. Mine! Mine! Mine! Uh, well maybe not. Very funny Anni.

    Agree with you that change makes autumn a favorite season. Also love closing up the house and getting cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...with a snapping fire!!! And maybe some hot chocolate? Yes, hot chocolate. Mmmmm.

      Delete
  32. Looks like it was lunch time when you were taking those shots.
    Fun questions today. I hear ya on the getting older one. My husband is counting down to the new season for NCIS, he loves that show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Oh I'm like your hubby....can't wait for Tuesday. Well, here it'll be Wednesday when they have it for us to watch online.

      Delete
  33. Oh I wish I could get some shots like these....so good!!! I love when we are able to catch them in their everyday 'routine' like lunch time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, Bud and I go birdin' quite often, so I think that's the "secret" of getting some photos like these.

      Delete
  34. Hello once again dear Anni. I guess you must be gone or either you have another blog page? I love the pictures of the birds above. Just here a few weeks ago, I was sitting out on my front porch and an owl came and sat on a tree branch right on front of me. It kind of startled me at first and I was actually a little scared. I didn't know if they would hurt you or not. I told Hubby about it later when he got up and he said they wouldn't hurt me unless I tried to hurt them. It came to this same tree every morning for about a week. I haven't seen it in about a week and a half now. Take care my friend and hope you have a great evening.


    Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My MIL's favorite bird was the owl. She even collected them. And, yes, I'm still here, blogging. I did stop by to visit you when you left me a comment. I don't do the reader any longer...just visit those that stop by and take time to say a few words on my post. Otherwise, I don't do commenting each day...no time.

      Delete
  35. Fish seems to be on the menu in your photos, the birds getting their tummies full and doing what birds do. Great shots.
    Gone With the Wind seems to be the favorite prop answer, and a very good choice. As for Scarlet's dress, I'd like to not only have it but be able to fit in it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GWTW is just too classic to not have something from the movie set. Oh by the way, to fit into the dress would be an ideal happenin'!!

      Delete

.