my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




It's been a GRIMM week...

...so many things, wash ashore or is left behind by beach revelers---






CONNECTING TO:


_ _ _


SUNDAY'S SUMMARY

OTHER THAN HAVING COMPANY TODAY [I will not be able to visit with you until tomorrow, and will catch up with Camera Critter visits also then]....We couldn't take it any longer, and went down to the beach. We decided to go to Whitecap Beach and walk along the north shore of the area. Tho, hot and sultry, and a sunny day, the sea was calm; nearly mirror like. Hurricane Ernesto, down along the Southeast section of Old Mexico, didn't affect the wave action up this far. Except for maybe the humidity index. By the time we started walking it was going on 90 degrees, and that was around 7 a.m. The last hurrah before summer school vacation ends, as the families were out enjoying the warm Gulf waters. I didn't want to be tugging a camera over my shoulders, there was no intention of birding that day!!! Just to be outdoors instead of cooped-up indoors with the air conditioner all week long! So all I had with me was my cellphone camera. The image above with the blue goggles tangled and drifting with the slow current, I thought it made a unique shadow shot for the Sunday meme. Along with the goggles I spotted several drift seeds. Just one kind mostly ---this year, the entire year so far, has not been a prosperous seeding and beaning year. Not many are showing up along the shore. Perhaps the drought is affecting the seed crops. I don't know. Maybe it goes in spurts like the weather patterns. Whatever it is, I was pleased to find these. But, thing is, I didn't even think to take my shelling bag with me from the car. As I said, it was just to be a walk only. Needless to say, on our return to the car, I picked up what I could carry in my hands. They're large...one can fill the entire hand. I will clean 'em up and add them to my collection; they're unusual and supposedly rare drift seeds. They're called Brainfruit. Yes, you read that correctly...brain...fruit. [a native tree at one time only in Southern Mexico] Supposedly, according to folklore, the tree helps repel many insects, like cockroaches and spiders. All I know is I find them oddly fascinating. Also, as I mentioned on my Fragmenting Friday post, I went witch hunting. I've noticed in quite a few stores around town, they're putting Autumn and Halloween and Christmas things out. And if you follow me even a little, you know this is 'my time of year'!!! Throughout the week, I bought three new witches. I haven't taken time to take photos of them yet. But rest assured, they will be shared here before Halloween, in all their glory!! While out and about one morning to stock up on lunchable items, I made a little side trip to buy the season 1 of GRIMM in DVD. It was on my list of things to do this week. So far, we've watched about 6 episodes, and have to watch 22 that was in the entire season. Then, as the DVD holder states, there is also a disk that will show how the special effects are done. I LOVE viewing that 'cause it shows how so many talents, and art direction go into making a television [or movie] production.  And on the DVD's wrapper it told us when the 2nd season begins....this coming Monday, August 13th.  Bud and I have no cable, so we'll watch it the following day on HULU.  The show left us last season with a thrilling cliffhanger....can't wait for the next episode.  Also, I purchased at Best Buy a package of CD-Rs so I can begin composing and preparing the PDF files and picture files for my genealogy work in progress. Once they're set up on pages as I want, I'll take the CD to Office Depot to have them all published in a book for my sister and brother-in-law come Christmas....they plan on being here and spending a week with us for the holidays. Then, most of the rest of the week has been spent doing several loads of laundry, as little cooking for meals as possible - I did make Italian Goulash which was mighty tasty. By week's end, I began another 'to do list' chore ---I bought a couple of large bottles of Old English Wood Oil to refurbish and get some long lost luster to resurface on all the wood work around the house ---there is a lot of wood around the doors, the doors themselves, shelving, cupboards, hutches and a vaulted wooden ceiling....they've become quite dull looking because of the continual use of the air conditioner during the summer and sometimes the furnace during winter. A much needed, long prolonged job of work. I've only done the kitchen cupboard by the sink and the kitchen door so far. I see in my future, weeks of oiling wood and climbing the ladder to reach the vaulted ceiling...even when I plan to use the extension mop...it's probably 12 feet or more above the sunken living room flooring. With my weekly post of birding on my bird photo blog ---this week it's all about the American Coot....I was even fortunate enough to get a photo of their most BIZARRE feet!!! Trust me, that's something you won't want to miss...take a gander at their feet....HERE. That's about it for the week, a mundane week again which I will gladly forget about as the days begin to show signs of a cool down to a normal 70-80 degree high temperature. LOL


42 comments :

  1. Blessings and love to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the composition. Proves even beach leavings can make a very nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gives a whole new meaning to 'junk' art.

      Delete
  3. Your "mundane" week you have turned into a great variety of interesting thoughts! Our week has yet again been all about rain! So my photography expeditions don't exist for yet another week! All photos are from the archives lately apart from the odd sky shots taken from my verandah!
    Love your photo with the goggles! Beach shadows are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....wish you could package and send some of that rain here.

      Delete
  4. I watched a few episodes of GRIMM and then stopped. But DD2 said it got better. So, I started watching it on Hulu. Big mistake. I didn't move from in front of the tv for 4 days. But I'm all caught up. LOL I had visitors last weekend. We had such fun. I'm sorry y'all are still having drought conditions. We have been getting rain nearly every day for quite a while. I'll try to send some your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...with the DVD comes some great special effects and other bonuses that will knock your socks off.

      Delete
  5. Mundane, indeed! But, you know, when I have weeks like that, I love the feeling of accomplishment at the end of it! Have a good weekend...catch up to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope you're enjoying your weekend Linda.

      Delete
  6. Great composition, Anni! Shows just what you can do with "junk" if you're talented and you are!! Terrific shadow shot for the day! Hope you have a great weekend! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks....hope your weekend is going well also Sylvia

      Delete
  7. Whew...that seems like a lot of stuff you were doing...I just laid on the couch and watched golf! PS. My wife LOVES Grimm! I already have too much on my TV plate so I stopped at Game Of Thones. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golf? That spells out B*O*R*I*N*G to me.
      Have a good weekend yourself Chuck.

      Delete
  8. What people leave behind at the beach. Oh well, the wearer can not see all that far in salt water anyway with the goggles...90 degrees at 7:00 - that is a bit early (to a northerner anyway...brainfruit is interesting to look at, but prissy people prefer not to touch Much of nature drives different behaviors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh, I'm sure you already know just what you could find washing up on the beaches.

      Delete
  9. Great shadow shot. The goggles made nice shadows on the sand. I would love to live near the beach, even in the heat I think I would find myself walking along the water's edge and would probably have such a collection of shells and beach finds that I would not know what to do with them.
    Your week sounds anything but mundane. You seem to always be busy with some chore or project.
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...keeps me busy and my hands from being the 'devil's workshop'.

      Delete
  10. After our snowy Weds, the sun has come out and the August winds are blowing, bringing promise of spring rains in Sepetember. Wishing you some relief and praying for rain to break your drought! Brain Fruit does look interesting doesn't it? Never seen one before! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....ya, wrap up some of that rain and send it our way [no snow tho, thank you kindly]

      Delete
    2. No snow - promise! My Christmas in July post is up! :) Pop on by

      Delete
    3. I so enjoyed this special celebration, and I like the fact that it's becoming a country tradition.

      Delete
  11. Love your shadow shot this week. :)

    We are so dry out here in West Texas and it's been sooo hot...I am looking forward to shorter days, cooler weather...in general...AUTUMN.
    Wintertime is my favorite of all seasons and I can hardly wait for it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I was talking with Erik, my son in Houston, and he too said ....even HOUSTON is getting no rains. Being that city is most always so green, that's sad to think their beautiful parks are dry and brown.

      Delete
  12. Happy Sunday Anni
    We hope you enjoy your company. Mom prepared my TTS yesterday I missed out last week.
    Hugs
    Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, right back atcha M&M!! Company was yesterday....I posted everything early to get a head start so I could spend time today catching up.

      Delete
  13. I've never seen brainfruit seeds when on the beach ... but then the beaches we frequent are over on the Atlantic coast or eastern Gulf coast. Although we have talked about a trip to Padre Island. Surprisingly, it's a little closer than southern Florida, so there's no reason why we shouldn't ... and as much as we love Hilton Head, we do like to visit new beaches (which is why we're going to the Outer Banks next month).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. be forewarned....at least I think so...Padre Island is costly. Only because it's a popular place.

      Delete
  14. The last time I walked on the beach I found a bunch of dead fish and lots of garbage but no goggles.
    Enjoy your company

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you sound like my son on his excursions to the beach. But, then again, I agree....tons of trash

      Delete
  15. That picture is so perfect! Did you find it like that or arrange it? Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...nope, don't touch the stuff if I can help it.

      Delete
  16. Uh-oh, somebody is missing their goggles.

    Keyboard Shadow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I see these quite often.

      Delete
  17. That's a lovely beach photo Anni. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks and hoping you have a great week ahead too.

      Delete
  18. Hi Anni,

    After the monsoon rain that caused intensive flooding, there is a new storm hitting the country which might turn into a typhoon. Jeez ... all these rain should be hitting the States to alleviate its drought problem.

    Charming capture of those goggles!

    Cheers … visiting from Shadow Shot Sunday

    Tito Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it could be packaged by you and sent to me....that intense rain. Divide it between the two of us, and we'd both be happier.

      Delete
  19. Isn't it amazing what people lose...and what others find?

    Crooked Street Shadows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, and you wonder just WHERE is comes from sometimes.

      Delete
  20. it's toasty and smoky from fires here- nice to be able to walk on the beach- altho it would have been nicer without all the litter washing in. Hope it's cooling off for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fires? Oh no....more of that going on somewhere? I hadn't heard.

      Delete

.