“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






"Summer Olympics" - Synchronized Swimmers!!!


Not too Wordless this week, I need to explain myself a bit...I couldn't resist taking this photo. It's of four American Avocets in a fresh water pond [not so 'fresh' looking tho...kinda skanky and full of algae growth!]. It's like The Three Stooges plus one. The Stooges are definitely in synch. Wait...maybe we could call them In Sync. Wonder what their song is like? LOL Perhaps soon to be on top of the charts?!!! Taken on the newly opened nature preserve in Port Aransas Texas on Mustang Island. Note: Yes, there IS a 2nd watermark going across the birds.





CONNECTING TO:




_ _ _


HODGEPODGE

I can't believe I forgot to participate in this meme last week...I just totally forgot it. And to that, I must apologize to our hostess, Joyce; you're NOT forgettable...


1. The Summer Olympics begin next week and London is playing host. If you had the chance to go in person which (non-Olympic) London site would you most like to visit? I find the history of Jack the Ripper very interesting...I also don't believe that some historians are correct in the 'new found' assumptions as to who he was. But, none-the-less, I'd like to see first hand The White Chapel District.

2. What is something in your life right now that feels like an Olympic event? I was doing a bit of a gymnastic act yesterday with yard work...I was cleaning out the rose bush box of weeds and had to balance on the landscape timbers to reach to the very back side of it all. And I think I scored pretty well....I cleared the weeds, and didn't falter on my balance once.

3. What's your favorite supper to prepare and serve when it's too hot to cook?
Sandwiches, chips, and salad. Sometimes, if I have boiled eggs in the 'fridge or ham leftovers...I make a large chef salad and call it dinner.

4. July 18th is National Get Out of the Doghouse Day...when was the last time you were 'in the doghouse'? Eons ago. And no doubt I did something my father didn't approve of and I was reprimanded. I'm usually my own boss now...Bud loves me unconditionally.

5. What television advertisement do you find particularly irritating or inappropriate? You may not answer with 'all of them'. I know some of you were thinking about it. I can't answer this 'cause for the last 6 months or better we have no TV [no cable]. What we watch now is commercial free DVD tv program episodes or DVD movies.

6. Share one piece of interesting news from the year you were born. I was born during the blizzard of '48 and '49.....the county cleared the country road [farm] for my mother to get to the hospital. Otherwise I would have been born at home.
    Here is what I posted about my birth on my blog, a couple of years ago: This is my HEAVY for the week. The photo was taken on February 9th, 1949. The Day I Was Born. The county snowplows cleared the country roads so mom could get to the hospital to deliver. No, really that is true....my family was blessed with good country folk ready to lend a helping hand, and the county officials kept the snow drifts off the country roads into town for her!! In the photo [foreground], two of my uncles and the one with the shovel is my dad who left the hospital after I was born, to help clear the snow in the yard/walkways, off roof-tops and around the barns, etc.; with the help of many neighbors. Heavy snowfall, heavy scooping, but that morning, then - not so heavy mom! LOL [my dad's height was 5'10" ...] It's reported online here that before the blizzard of 1948 - 1949 ended, parts of my home state received over 100 inches of snow and drifts as high as 30 feet.

7. What's the best part of your average day?My kitties talking to me. YES...they both talk with me. Doing something with Bud [get your mind from the gutter]....and, reading.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Speaking of Olympics, I don't think I've ever sat down and watched the Summer Olympics, ever. And the Winter Olympics isn't something that I have to see either. The couples skating I like to watch their gracefulness as a pair. And one last 'thought' here.........I wish it would RAIN!!!





CONNECTING TO:



66 comments :

  1. Das Entenbild ist einfach zu niedlich.
    Hab einen schönen Tag und liebe Grüße

    Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great capture of the avocets IN SYNC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so, you agree. It's In Sync then.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE the avocets (although I don't know if I have ever seen the face of one!)...what a great shot! Wonder if they were chasing the same stream of food!? Found out another thing about you - we are the same age...just a few month's difference in our age! I was born May 31, 1949...so we can't be twins, but VERY close sisters? Glad to be back, and now will have to try to catch up on everything! Perfect WW today (even with words)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we ARE close in age. That's cool.

      Delete
  4. Wow-that was a lot of snow! Finally had rain last week-hope it will head your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat birthday story! Very cool picture of the avocets! I was a little intrigued by Jack the Ripper, but didn't want to go on a tour when we were there...I wanted to be able to sleep at night! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...stories [and even fables of fiction] like this intrigue me. I don't think I'd lose sleep...but now that you've mentioned it.

      Delete
  6. oh my gosh..that pictures is crazy! does look like they practiced together to get it perfect. my son cannot wait to watch the olympics...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How aptly named, Anni and they could be the new In Sync group since the other one is a bit past prime. I'm a few years older than you ('45)and was born at home--the doctor came to my mother in a horse drawn sled. Not nearly as exciting anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....that's cool, they just don't do that anymore...and, it's a shame. Of course there are too many weirdos out there in this world that I can see why a doctor wouldn't want to home deliver.

      Delete
  8. All that snow...BRRRR... I would have just said "Nope, Mom, I'll just stay here where it's warm." ;)

    Everyone is describing great salads. It's like a blog salad luncheon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....lol....but I wanted to get out and have a snowball fight.

      Delete
  9. Those are sure cute avocets. Great capture! I enjoyed your answers so much, Anni, and the story of your birth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok, i think i can write now ... i've been seriously LOL!! i love your blog name. too funny!! cute blog. love your view there. so beautiful. birds enjoying the day. great shot. i know i will stop by to see you again soon. who could forget that name. thanks, again for the laughs. take care, Beth (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Beth, so glad you stopped by to introduce yourself. Now pick yourself up off the floor and don't forget to return to visit any time!!!

      Delete
  11. It's raining here in Michigan, Anni. I am going to send the rain to you watch out! ^_^ I like that cartoon on the side part of this blog. How do you make it I like myself to have a cartoon face too. ^_^
    The ducks are definitely doing something. I think they are just showing of because they knew you are going to take a photos of them. ^_^

    Thanks for linking Water World Wednesday I do appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Kim, I'll see what I can do for you for a template design. If you don't hear from me soon, remind me.

      Delete
  12. I love the picture! When I first looked at it I though it was dolphins. I'm looking forward to the Olympics.
    Great story of your birth - that was a lot of snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Mari, glad you liked the avocet sync.

      Delete
  13. Great shot Anni...Liked your birth story...My Hubs had to jump start the car to get me to the hospital for my first born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...because of wintry weather the battery was 'dead'?

      Delete
  14. Isn't that amazing - and what's more I don't think that had to practice. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I couldn't believe it...and they did it several times allowing me to get a photo of them like that.

      Delete
  15. Love those synchronised Avocets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks. I enjoyed your beautiful bird photos today also.

      Delete
  16. Lovely shot of the In Sync Avocets!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you liked the image I shared today.

      Delete
  17. Oh we do love the synchronized stooges. Great shot too.
    Mom loves you ideas about a hot summer supper too.
    Anni that snow storm was just for your arrival into the world. But oh my what a refreshing sight with all the hots we are having.
    hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, I agree the cold and snow looks mighty welcoming 'bout now. [NOT!!!] I'll take hot and sultry over driving in the snow and ice any day.

      Delete
  18. Anonymous7/18/2012

    I love the title :) Reminds me of when we were kids and would do synchronized swimming in the pool. :) Thanks for the smile.
    *anna
    oceannah.wordpres.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you liked the photo title.

      Delete
  19. I wish it would rain too. And I've never been a fan of the Olympics- winter or summer. Though I am always appreciative of the hard work the athletes put in. We don't have cable either. As long as I can get football during the season, I'm a happy camper. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...football is something I've never cared about much, especially pro football on TV ---one play, then 10 minutes of commercial time.

      Delete
  20. I like the photo but I like Mari when I first look thought they were dolphins. I think I need new glasses or younger eyes!!!
    Wonderful birth story, I had to have the state clear the roads for me when I had #3 in Dec 1968
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....nobody knows just how severe Nebraska winters can be unless they live there.

      Delete
  21. Wow, what a great birth story your Mom has. That looks like some blizzard. I love snow and what a great picture you shared :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Theresa. Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  22. Wow amazing photo. You can really capture some awesome shots. Love your new background. Is that you with the big smile.
    Those questions and answers were great. Love getting to know my friends out here better.
    Taking a short lunch break from all this mess out here on the North Forty and thought I would come by and see what you have been up too.
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie....I love having you stop by.

      Delete
  23. Those birds are practicing for the London Olympics. Wonderful shot!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....they're attempting something. LOL

      Delete
  24. Love the pics of snow. I have family stories of that same snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...really? We are of the same generation then perhaps?

      Delete
  25. Cool picture of the Avocets. They look like they are in top form. I've never been big on watching the olympics. I had friends who would follow them faithfully but I had no interest.
    We did get rain today for a whole hour. I didn't get to see it though since I was working

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....well, someone is getting rain. Lucky you.

      Delete
  26. Love that story about your birth. As someone who lives in the south (although I did life half of my life in Colorado), that snow just makes my jaw drop!! WOW!! How wonderful that the community pitched in so your mom could deliver in a hospital!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....LOL, it's a family legend.

      Delete
  27. What a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi there - nice shot - although I think that the bird on the RHS will be docked a few points!!

    Cheers - and the more bird memes the better!

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...cool, I hope you will join us this coming Sunday then.

      Delete
  29. Wish it would rain here, too!

    Cool story and picture for #6.

    And the way you worded your answer to #5 got me to thinking ... I wonder if we could rent a season's DVD using our Blockbuster Subscription ... I just checked online and yes we can!!!! So guess what's getting moved up to the top of our queue! I'm doing the happy dance here! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out I can rent an entire season's DVDs all at one time (and keep the set for up to 3 weeks) from our public library!! DH checked it out himself and brought me back Season One just 5 minutes ago!! He's a keeper, I tell ya! ;-)

      Delete
    2. Kathy...that is SUPER!!

      Delete
    3. ...it has threatened rain around this part of the city...but nothing. And hot...hot, hot!!!

      Delete
  30. All I can say is, you definitely were NOT born in Texas!
    That, and, as usual, you take the BEST photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....no I wasn't born here, but I got here as quickly as I could.

      Delete
  31. Perfect timing on your part for that avocet shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, the group did it over and over so, I was lucky enough to be there at the right time.

      Delete
  32. Such a cute picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you stopped by Denise

      Delete

.