my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Quoth the raven....

So there I was, on the 6th of May [the early morning of the 'supermoon'] - outside near the crack of dawn - or should I say dark o'thirty, armed with my camera, pointing the lens on the full moon. I wanted something in the foreground to give it a bit of perspective and ended up with a silhouetted tree.  I really had to take a 'double take' on the image I uploaded off the camera sd card...whoa...I KNEW birds were not out that early...but I swore I could spy a "phantom blackbird" if I do say so myself. Of course I like to see if I can see unexpected objects like this, but this was as eerie as something Poe would write about!!!  The shadow of the tree leaf near the center of the moon [just below and a 'shade' to the right of my watermark...the 's' in hootin' anni's]...Can you see the "Raven" also?  Nevermore!!!










CONNECTING TO:




- - -


SUNDAY'S SUMMARY



Finally, a job that had my name on it finally got done.  Altho, I must admit, I really enjoyed having the newer large bird feeder directly under the computer room/library window...so did the cats!  I don't know how many times, even with the blinds pulled, the cats could hear the birds outside the window and often tried to shred the Venetian blinds trying to dig their way through the slats.  No matter how many times I cussed 'em out, and they scurried to another room, I continued enjoying the nature's "video" going on day and night through the window.  Well, when the whole shebang came crashing down one morning, I had enough.  I dug it [the feeder] all out of the ground, filled the hole with dirt and bark...then dug a new area...'planted it'. The bird feeder is now around the corner, in the back yard, between the tree and the gardenia bush.  I miss the birds outside my window while on the computer...but not the constant repair work having to be done on the window blind.  This past week, I finished reading the civil war mystery novel by Jim Lehrer, "No Certain Rest".  Let me just put it this way:  it was barely okay.  Not bad, but really not all that good either.  Quite predictable even before I turned the next page. Can you say 'boring'?   Now I have begun the sequel to Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett.  Heck, I didn't even know there was a sequel....anyway, the book I'm reading now is "World Without End".  I have just started reading it, so not even a hint of any critiquing on my part. We've been getting some nice cooling showers the past week. At least in the early morning hours. Helps keep our yard greener. Thing is, with the rain comes more work. Mowed and edged the lawn, and naturally, pulled weeds! I swear I pulled weeds just a few days ago! They're ba-a-a-c-k!!! Bud and I celebrated our anniversary this past week [as I mentioned on my Friday's post --44 years]. We went to a matinee movie, and then out to lunch. We dined at Cheddars. Both knowing it isn't the healthiest food around, but we splurged a bit and forgot the fat/calories for this one time.  The movie matinee we saw was THE RAVEN...about Poe and his stories and a murder mystery. It was quite good!!! And I swear, sometimes throughout Cussack looked a lot like Poe. It's one to not miss if you're into Poe's works...or a murder mystery. Well done, if you want my opinion. Then, lastly...another few small pieces of yard decor have been added around our patio...I bought a couple of wrought iron pieces and hung two new wind chimes -- along with a third one that is in our Don Juan Pink Climbing Rose bush on the other side of the patio edge.


38 comments :

  1. I'm with you on this one - that looks a lot like a raven! Very nice shot of the moon too! I really missed the birds when we had to move them from the deck (to keep the rats away from the house), but at least we still have them...just can't watch them from the window!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rats? Oh my...I didn't think of that, there are probably rats 'round here too. Glad I moved it now!!!

      Delete
  2. I see it! It's a perfect shot for a Poe story.
    Happy Mothers Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting week for you! I so loved Pillars of the Earth but have not read the sequel!

    And love the shadowy foliage in your photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful photo you took!

    Happy 44th wedding anniversay.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read both of those Follett books and enjoyed them. I can certainly see the phantom raven in your picture, stunning! I think you are right not to have the cats excited by the birds constantly, not to mention the destruction, but I would miss seeing them, too. Hugs and Happy Mother's Day to all moms throughout the animal kingdom! Your birdies are probably making babies, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...hope you had a beautiful, wonderful weekend too.

      Delete
  6. never really know what you will see sooc!! as sometimes we get so focus on one thing. great shot anni!! happy mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh...what an amazing picture.....wow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....and with your son's post about you, you must be so proud!!!

      Delete
  8. I love the raven. Fun taking a photo and finding a surprise later!!!!
    We have some night birds around here, tricky capturing a photo. Well done.
    Greetings from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I see that Raven! Great shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've found Poe's Raven and you will never convince me otherwise!!! A leaf? I think NOT!!! I have been reading about the movie...we went to Poe's house in Richmond, it is so tiny. Sorry you cannot have the feeder where you want it. Hope you have a great day of rest and fun today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's a leaf. Honest, cross my heart.

      Delete
  11. What an eerie, but thoroughly delightful, photo!

    The Great Stone Church

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely 'eerie'...when I didn't see the 'image' while shooting through the lens, then uploading it.........seeing it........yep, eerie.

      Delete
  12. I saw your "raven" the minute I looked at your photo!! It's always fun to find something like that after the fact. :)

    I have the Follet book, too, but have put off reading it since it's been so many years since I read the first. You can let us know if it's really necessary to go back and try to review the first in order to enjoy the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, far, it's not bad...I like the sequel.

      Delete
  13. I am just stopping by to say hello and wish you a Happy Mother's Day. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have never known that wasn't a real bird had you not said that it wasn't. Great shot of the moon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni, beautiful shot. You are a woman of many talents.

    Just stopping by to wish you a Happy Mother's Day.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary...and right back atcha!!

      Delete
  16. A very cool shot. Yes I do see the bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to know you could see it too Ann.

      Delete
  17. I love that shot Anni, belated happy mother''s day! Thanks for your beautiful contribution to Shadow Shots. - Rose

    Wall Shadow, please come and see.

    ReplyDelete

.