my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



nostalgia reigns today

My youngest [Erik] turns 40 on the 19th [this coming Saturday]...Irene had her 43rd birthday on April Fool's Day this year.  I'm not getting any younger of course, but today I am feeling a bit nostalgic. On another hand, I'm not going to do any 'trash talk' this week, solely so I dedicate this week's post and Thursday Theme Song to my kids...




Yesterday when I was young
The taste of life was sweet as rain upon my tongue.
I teased at life as if it were a foolish game,
The way the evening breeze may tease a candle flame.
The thousand dreams I dreamed, the splendid things I planned
I always built to last on weak and shifting sand.
I lived by night and shunned the naked light of the day
And only now I see how the years ran away.

Yesterday when I was young
So many happy songs were waiting to be sung,
So many wild pleasures lay in store for me
And so much pain my dazzled eyes refused to see.
I ran so fast that time and youth at last ran out,
I never stopped to think what life was all about
And every conversation I can now recall
Concerns itself with me and nothing else at all.

Yesterday the moon was blue
And every crazy day brought something new to do.
I used my magic age as if it were a wand
And never saw the waste and emptiness beyond.
The game of love I played with arrogance and pride
And every flame I lit too quickly quickly died.
The friends I made all seemed somehow to drift away
And only I am left on stage to end the play.
There are so many songs in me that won't be sung,
I feel the bitter taste of tears upon my tongue.
The time has come for me to pay for yesterday when I was young.

song link on youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px-ozDiwGHI
photo credits: Me and the kids at different stages/times in life, when I was young!!!









CONNECTING TO:



30 comments :

  1. Your children are beautiful!!!! Is there a celebration planned? This post makes me think that I so much wish I knew all that I do now when I was raising my son. By the time we are smart enough to be really excellent parents, we are too old and tired...but I probably only speak for myself. Grandchildren give us a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think I was lucky to have such great kids. But I'm probably biased. As for grandchildren, I live too far away to enjoy them now.

      Delete
  2. Oh Anni, these are all wonderful photo of you and your children. Sometimes we get nostalgic and there is nothing we can do about it but enjoy the memories. Happy belated day to Irene and a slightly early Happy Birthday to Erik.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We get nostalgic every so often and I consider you abundantly blessed for sharing these to us... thank you! Your children are beautiful just like you are.

    This is a feel-good activity, to browse through the old photos and reminisce what has been... God bless you and take care, Farida :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love everything! would you enjoy following each other? kisses

    FashionSpot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post today! The kids were beautiful (I am sure they still are since their mom is!)...and this was such a sweet memory for you. Thank you for sharing it! Happy birthday to more May kids (mine is the last day of the month)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm biased, I know...but I agree with you, my kids are cool! LOL

      Delete
  6. Good morning Anni....
    Oh my goodness your post has left me speechless and you know this rarely happens. Beautiful pictures of a loving mom and her babes.
    Lots of love in today's post.
    Happy 40th B-day Erick.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm having a harder time accepting he's nearly 40!!!

      Delete
  7. As I look ahead to my 70th birthday this year, this particular post is very relevant to me. I read it and pondered the pictures, thinking about getting older, and being glad that I don't taste "the bitter tears upon my tongue" of regret. I am happy to have survived this long! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't regret a thing about raising my kids or my own life....I've enjoyed just about every day of it so far. Can't complain.

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday to Erick.
    I enjoyed seeing your photos of the cute kids and mom also.
    It is funny how it seems like you blink and they are all grown up.
    Now I get to enjoyed watching my grands grow into beautiful adults.
    I guess I am getting older...No No No.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep....sometimes as we look back, we think how quickly time flies away from us.

      Delete
  9. It's amazing to me that we can have middle-aged kids when we're only that age ourselves! A very nice post .

    ReplyDelete
  10. We all find ourselves doing this from time to time. Especially around Mother's Day and their birthdays.
    I know I find myself wanting more time with my children now but hard with them living in another city and so busy.
    This is a lovely post and your pics are beautiful.
    Love ya
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie...I'm so happy to see you stop by!!!

      Delete
  11. I love seeing the pictures of your kids when they were younger. They were so cute! Time goes by too quickly - I see it in my kids too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful tribute to your children. My one and only just graduated college...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice look back to a time when your kids were young. I don't think I know the song but I like the lyrics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's one of my all time favorites!!!! when we went to see him live, in concert years ago, I couldn't WAIT for him to sing this song. It was the next to the last of the show...his last song was just all guitar...Malguena. [spelling]

      Delete
  14. Hi Anni, So nice to meet your children. They are both gorgeous --and so is their Mom.... My sons are 48, 42 and 41 now..... GOSH---time just flies, doesn't it???? Can't believe they are all grown up. Makes me feel VERY old... ha ha

    Thanks so much for sharing...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, it's a mind bender to have to admit that our children grow and become adults...but when they were little toddlers we worked to instill in them how to become the adults they are today.

      Delete
  15. Sweet, sweet post my friend.

    ReplyDelete

.