my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Bud always did like Redheads.

So many birds, so little time.  My outdoor Wednesday and Watery Wednesday is most always about birds and birding.  I'm sure you're bored with the images I tend to post each week.  In fact, a lot of my week's posts are birds.  Anyway, for Watery/Outdoor Wednesday this week, yep....it's another bird!!  This week, it's a redhead.  More specifically a redhead duck.  According to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology,  the redheads lay eggs, but seldom make their own nests, preferring the parasitic act of laying eggs in other duck nests.  And, most do not mature/hatch.  Which explains the fact that very few of this species exists.  An interesting thing about the male Redhead is his voice. He has an unusual cat-like meow and a deep purr  - you wouldn't believe it 'til you hear it.  They are not monogamous, taking a new mate each year. I was lucky enough to spot two in two different areas...


Top photo from Indian Point Park  -  Bottom photo from Oso Bay










CONNECTING TO:




_ _ _



HODGEPODGE
[please note Meme Questions in BOLD - my answers follow in normal text]




1. My daughter2 [daughter is not Irene as one comment suggested---'daughter2' is daughter of meme hostess] is graduating from university this month and plans to teach elementary school. What are three qualities you most want to see evidenced in a teacher?  It really depends on what level a teacher is teaching...elementary...high school...college.  But the main three that would pertain to all levels would be:  unbiased, making learning fun, and not to become stagnant in learning along with the students...teachers should learn also, new things, new ideas, new ways. If a teacher gets bored - as some do, they don't have the 'umpfff' that it takes to be an inspiration in their students learning.

2. You can tell a lot about a person by their answers to these questions!!!

3. What song makes you think spring?  "Easter Parade"

4. May 1st is Mother Goose Day...share your favorite nursery rhyme.  I really don't have a 'favorite' but one comes to mind from my childhood ---

What are little boys made of, made of?
What are little boys made of?
"Snaps and snails, and puppy-dogs' tails;
And that's what little boys are made of."

What are little girls made of, made of ?
What are little girls made of?
"Sugar and spice, and all that's nice;
And that's what little girls are made of."

5. What makes someone unforgettable?  The part they play in life....be it a special teacher, or a celebrity of long ago, or perhaps the man that performed a ceremony, this too depends on the situation and what they did/do.

6. Should music and/or art be part of a well rounded education?  Most definitely!!  Without music and art, the world would be quite boring.

7. What social situations make you flustered or nervous? I'm not all that sociable, period.  But if I had to...it would be getting up and speaking to a crowd.

8. Insert your own random thought here.  Seems like the drought from last year is hanging on for another season...we need rain.  AGAIN!!!  Oh, and sorry....I have been working on another post to publish for Sunday's Summary and clicked PUBLISH  instead of save 'cause I'm not done with it...geez.  So if you're following me and see it in your reader...ignore it, 'cause it'll take you no where.  LOL







CONNECTING TO:

52 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Happy that you enjoyed the post Denise.

      Delete
  2. I am glad to see this redhead! I have never seen a duck like this! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so few of them around as I understand...so, glad you enjoyed viewing the species.

      Delete
  3. Das sind zauberhafte Fotos liebe Anni.
    Gute Besserung wünsche ich dir und liebe Grüße

    Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! absolutely loved seeing this redhead!
    i love ducks.


    beautiful shots!

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy your pictures! This duck is unusual and I've never seen one before.
    Congrats to Irene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not Irene...it's a question posted by the meme host. I guess it IS confusing. I'll go add a note to explain. Thanks for pointing that out.

      Delete
  6. I thought it was funny that you hadn't mentioned she was going back to school! Thanks for clearing that up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably saved me a day of explaining in other comments. Seriously.

      Delete
  7. Great pictures of ducks you show.
    Thanks for the comment on my blog.
    Wishing you a good Wednesday.
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hanne, your blog is always a fun visit.

      Delete
  8. I don't think that I have seen a red headed bird - wonder how their tempers are. My daughter is a red head. Love, sandie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...that is very interesting info on the red headed duck! I don't think I have ever seen one! Thanks for sharing Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jan.

      Delete
  10. Hi Anni, Gorgeous picture of your 'red head'... I have several different redheads here, but mine are my backyard woodpeckers (Red-headed woodpeckers, Red-bellied woodpeckers, and Pileated woodpeckers)...

    Even though it is not June, the song which popped into my head was "June is Busting Out all Over".... Almost feels like June --since everything bloomed early this spring.

    As a former teacher, I get so frustrated with some of the teachers these days. I definitely do not believe in tenure... There are so many teachers out there who truly don't love kids and don't have their hearts in teaching.. YET--since they are tenured, nobody can get rid of them. Their jobs are safe... That is too bad because it hurts the entire school system. A teacher to me needs to have a real passion for what they are teaching.. They need to love kids and enjoy being with them. They need to keep a positive attitude, etc. etc. etc....

    YES---music and art should definitely be a part in our education system. As a former music teacher, I always felt that music/art were at the bottom of the list of importance... Of course, sports were always at the top. Huh??????

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...I've seen so many teachers that are lax in any interest in teaching these days. My son who teaches at the college level, told me of a friend of his that teaches at the elementary level...he told HIM that they can't fail a student any more...now that is not teaching the child to go forth and LEARN...it teaches them everything wrong. My opinion.

      Delete
  11. Hi Anni, I saw that phantom post and figured when I saw this one that was what happened. I've done that a few times myself. And Reader doesn't care, it just shows it anyway. Nice pictures of the redhead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. phantom post...yep, I too have done it several times and kick myself each time. You'd think by now, I'd learn.

      Delete
  12. Good Morning. I thought I would share a story with you it made me think of your blog when it happened.

    Yesterday Morning my oldest (6yrs) was sitting at breakfast looking out the back window. She all of a sudden yelled, "Look it's a robin!" I love looking at and finding birds." "Oh I have an idea I should make a book and write down and take a picture of every bird that I see in my whole life so I won't ever forget the cool ones."

    As for the Hodgepodge, I agree with your answer to #1. Teachers need to beable to change not only with time in general but with each class they have.

    http://domesticdivatraining.blogspot.com/2012/05/teaching-hodgepodge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow....do I feel like boasting right now...to have 'bird talk' around your house and you think of my blog and love of birds. Wow.

      Delete
  13. Hi Anni I hope you are feeling better!!
    Tell Bud he has exquisite taste!! LOL
    I'm with you I do not like to speak in front of a crowd...well stand up in front of a crowd with everyone else sitting. I do love to talk and am quite good at it just not when I'm the center of attention.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either....I have heart palpitations. LOL...well, I don't do any speaking any more, but I did experience that before.

      Delete
  14. Easter Parade is a great answer for a Spring-y song!

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the only 'spring' song I could think of. LOL

      Delete
  15. You and I are in complete agreement with our answers for #7! I don't like having attention drawn to myself...AT ALL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either...I'm much better with a crowd of 3...and ones I know.

      Delete
  16. Hello Anni,
    I always enjoy your photos of Birds and Water and the commentary that goes with it.
    Sorry about the rain. Its a little dry already here, also.
    Have a blessed week!
    Stay Cool.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay cool....ha. High was 90 degrees...already...and it's just the 2nd day of May.

      Delete
  17. Very pretty redheads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, then, Bud would definitely like me! I am a natural redhead...with the temper and disposition to boot! I never get tired of your photos, Anni, so keep 'em coming! Hope I can muster up the brain power to do Thursday Theme Song tomorrow...I am a little brain-dead after this past week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can't muster up energy for the week's TTS...no worries....it's understandable that you're exhausted.

      Delete
  19. You're right...life sure would be boring without music and art! Your answers always make me chuckle here and there! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobbi, I know one thing, your blog posts [on both of your blogs today...they made me smile big time!!!]

      Delete
  20. We are birdwatchers, so I NEVER find enough birds on the blogs! You can't have enough to please me. I had no idea about this duck!!! I have heard of songbirds laying eggs in another's nest, but did not know there is a DUCK that does it, how funny!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked by that too...but wasn't all that surprised. I think a lot of birds [and other animals] tend to leech from others for survival in so many ways.

      Delete
  21. well I learned something new today, I've never heard of this duck before. This is also the second bird that I've read about today that sounds like a cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Now you wonder just what the other bird is? Got me curious.

      Delete
  22. I have not seen a duck like this color. And I didn't know that there are many different colors for a duck alone lol!! I also agree to your first answer. ^_^ Thanks for joining ...Water World Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to use my handy dandy bird guide for this species....never saw one before myself.

      Delete
  23. Replies
    1. I'm not sure I understood your link....but your leaving a positive comment means a great deal to me.

      Delete
  24. Your answers always make me smile. I'm surprised to read that you aren't sociable!! Your comments are a "hoot!" Guess it's easier to share that humor online, eh? Thanks for always making me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not good with large groups of people. I tend to become a wallflower.

      Delete
  25. Great shots! Lovely to see this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hans...you being a photographer by choice, makes your comment all the more appreciated.

      Delete
  26. love your beautiful bird ...
    oh my gosh...now I am really afraid of the dentist!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dentists to me are very near being a 4 letter word.

      Delete

.