my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Wouldn't you keep it? I've fractured a law or two...




  • 44 years ago today, Bud and I had our first date!! March 9, 1968 -Dinner at a Posh Restaurant in the city...two dozen long stemmed roses awaited me at the table we were to dine at---a beautiful evening. By the end of the time we spent together, he then told me he loved me.


  • Magazine: My Texas Life March issue is online now --this month some great Texas Recipes!! LINK on SIDEBAR
  • So, I'm reading a newspaper article on the history of ship wrecks, rich people inhabiting part of the island near my home...all long ago. AND...all about finding treasure; like in gold, silver and jewels. Yet, near the end of the article, I read where one hidden treasure of the wealthy Singer family [his brother inventor of the Singer Sewing Machine] lived on what is now Padre Island National Seashore [federal national park reserve]...and had to research on Google the saga. I found this, which is quite interesting. But, keep in mind...now that this is a National Park...metal detectors are strictly prohibited. Darn!!!
      The Singer family was wealthy beyond their wildest dreams, making larger and larger investments in their cattle business. At some point, John became a bit concerned about having all that gold and silver at the house, so he located a hiding spot where he buried his fortune. The hiding spot was on a large sand dune that became known as “money hill.” There were also rumors of a second hiding spot. Unfortunately for the Singers, the U.S. Civil War started in 1861, putting the Singers in a precarious position. They were wealthy northerners living in an area that could become a high profile area for the military. They relocated to the mainland and remained there for four years, until the end of the war. As the war progressed, the Union Navy arrived at Padre Island and U.S. Navy troops used the Singer house. By the end of the war, they had destroyed the house, apparently for firewood. Additionally, several storms had hit the area, some quite severe. The money hill was no longer identifiable! John made several trips back to the island to try to find it, but with no success.
    I'm thinking that perhaps with the troops using their home for firewood and such, perhaps maybe the soldiers found the treasure? Wouldn't it be fun and thrilling to find such?!!! Of course, Texas law says you must return it to the state. But, really...who would tell?
  • Also, many shipwrecks and Spanish gold from the 1500's are being found still today along the entire length of Padre Island!!! Again, property of the state.
  • Another shipwreck was the S S Nicaragua in 1912 ---it was found, and being part of an archeological exploration. It is said at LOW TIDE some ship parts are visible!!!
  • I WOULD LOVE TO FIND A SPANISH COIN on the beach. I would keep it. Never tell anyone. Yep, I've fractured a law or two in my day, and this wouldn't be the last, I'm sure.
  • And last: Remember the overnight sensation of Britain's Got Talent and Susan Boyle with her rendition of I Dreamed a Dream [from Les Miserables]? Well, a news segment in the entertainment issue online had this video of a 2nd one that was wondrous in my opinion--this time it's American Idol. And a 16 year old; Jessica Sanchez singing I Will Always Love You [to skip over all the whoopla at the beginning...use the scroll horizontal bar on the youtube video and scroll to 57 seconds, then play arrow:

    ...besides, I LOVE the deep rich cobalt blue gown she is wearing! LOL




    Read more on the Singer Family Treasure HERE
    Online Article found that is the same printed in our local paper.

    DISCLAIMER for Spanish Ship Clipart use:
      You are allowed to use clker.com and any content provided by clker.com if you are 18 years or older... courtesy of this site







    CONNECTING TO:
    Mommy's Idea





  • - - -

    INDIGO FANTASY is what I titled the art effects image. The original photo is the small inset to the right. This is one of my solar lights that I just bought---I just took a photo of the box it came in and will make a post about it later...

    The effects used this time in Paintshop Pro is:

    Pastel
    Sandstone filter
    Brightness/Contrast
    Illumination [on wings]
    then, as always my gold nameplate






    CONNECTING TO:
    Photo Art Friday

    49 comments :

    1. Indigo Fantasy is really beautiful. That is sweet that on your first date, Bud told you he loved you.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. yes, it was sweet...but thing is, our years together have been even more sweet. Thanks Denise.

        Delete
    2. We'll always be fascinated by treasure won't we? At least you and your husband seem to have recognized one when you saw one ;)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Awwwwwww, those words melt my heart DawnTreader

        Delete
    3. What a sweet story! And, an interesting one about the treasure...you do have to wonder if the soldiers found it! On another note, I seriously tried to figure out Paintshop Pro and couldn't do any of the marvelous things you do with your photos...so I dumped the trial version. I guess I will stick to my freebie Photoscape! Your edits are awesome...I couldn't even figues out how to start one!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, if you ever decide to get the program and install it...I'd be more that happy to help you out any way, anytime!!! I've been using it for over a decade now.

        Delete
    4. Beautiful post.

      Regards and best wishes for you and your husband

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Tatjana...you know that having you leave such encouraging words here makes me boost with pride; knowing your blog work and all!!

        Delete
    5. Bud sure knew a good thing when he met you:-) You two are perfect together!!

      Omigosh, now I want to go treasure hunting...actually, it's one of the reasons I love Geocaching, you're looking for "treasures" people have hidden:-) If I was ever on that island I would be sooooo tempted to bring out a metal detector and hope that no one saw me! lol I'm like you, if I ever found a Spanish coin or such, I would keep it...they have enough anyway, they wouldn't miss one:-)

      Oh my Lord, I had goosebumps when I heard Jessica singing that song, simply amazing. I don't watch American Idol so this video was new to me. If she doesn't win the competition then there's something wrong!!

      Indigo Fantasy is gorgeous!! xoxo

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hello Pea....I must tell you...your bears search for a pot of gold was just simply a wee bit o' fun to be sure.

        Delete
    6. I'd love to find a treasure of some sort. I love historical stuff. I'd probably also hide it in a secret box and keep it just for me too! There's nothing wrong with that.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep, I think the majority would keep anything like that.

        Delete
    7. I would love to find a coin - it would be a great heirloom!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Happy Birthday tomorrow, Wayne!!!

        Delete
    8. Happy first date anniversary! Memories are such wonderful treasures! Have really never found much worth keeping - except that $5 bill on my walk one day!Have a great week-end!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hey, if you ask me, $5 is $5!!! That's more than I've ever found walking!!!

        Delete
    9. Wow - that clip was amazing! Her voice is truly beautiful.
      Happy Anniversary of your first day. You must have made quite an impression. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Wasn't that amazing singing? Thanks Mari...guess I did. Of course, in my other hand, I must admit that Bud made an 'impression' on me too. LOL

        Delete
    10. You "got" each other, with the first date!!!!! How very romantic!!! Happy Anniversary...

      "Nature goes her own way, and all that to us seems an exception is really according to order."
      ~Goethe

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. awwww, shucks....thanks "Auntie"

        Delete
    11. What a fun texture you showed us at PAF

      ReplyDelete
    12. Very cool. Love the gorgeous wings.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, in real time, they are super. I'm gonna post more on the fairies I found in a day or two, when I find more time.

        Thanks Marilyn.

        Delete
    13. Love the story and picture of your first date - he did it right for sure!! And it definitely was meant to be.

      I don't watch Idol any more, so that was wonderful to see - I hope she goes all the way. Whitney would have been proud.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Glad to know you enjoyed it. What a challenge she put upon herself, the song is not an easy one to sing as she did.

        Awwww, you made my day with you comment Dawn.

        Delete
    14. BTW, Loveland High School is doing Les Mis this week-end and next. I've heard it's going to be fabulous.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Mmmmmmmm, super. It's one of my favorite musicals.

        Delete
    15. Hi Anni! He must had his eye on you before that first date. Congratulations on your long and happy love.

      The thought of finding buried treasure, or an unburied coin along the beach is exciting and captures the imagination. Thanks for this interesting post, and I love your artwork.

      Have a great weekend,

      Kathy M.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, it would be something that would make my heart race if I found a coin from the 1500s!!!

        Your book blurb...whoa!!!

        Delete
    16. Love at first sight - amazing!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Pat!! Thanks. My life with Bud from day one has been quite amazing when I stop and think about all the years past.

        Hey now, I'd like to know your mouseover trick!!!

        Delete
    17. Bud is a man with extraordinary taste!! Congrats!!!
      Hugs Madi and Mom

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Madi, my dear? You are the crown jewel of blog world!!

        Thanks you two...M&M...for visiting with me.

        Delete
    18. That was an wonderful story about your first date. My hubs says it was love at first sight for him also.We are so blessed!!
      I truly enjoyed reading the history lesson today.
      Have a great weekend.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Sharon....thanks for stopping by. You know it's always a pleasure to have my home state blogger coming over for a visit. Just like olden times!!!

        Delete
    19. What a dreamy photo. - Interesting to read about the "Treasure" and also about your first date with your hubby, so romantic.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for stopping by Ida. I enjoyed your park bench work of art. Well done.

        Delete
    20. Happy anniversary. After your description of your first date, I am not surprised you are still together. Sounds like a romantic fellow! My husband and I will celebrate the 25th anniversary of our first date in December.

      And you are right, She sang a very tough song (with a very big set of shoes to fill) very, very well!

      Happy Friday!
      :-)
      Traci

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Traci...I think I will have nightmares of a red snake now!!! Your post was hilarious. Loved it. And thanks for the anniversary wishes.

        Delete
    21. I'm still stuck on the fact that you KNOW the day/date of your first date 44 years ago!

      I can tell you the STORY of hubby's and my first date, but not the day nor the date! And it was only 38 and a half years ago!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. LOL....well, I must confess, the day is etched in my mind; so very remarkable it was.

        Delete
    22. What a lovely piece Anni! Great effects. Thank you for sharing with PAF.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Bonnie, your art meme is quite fun and a good challenge.

        Delete
    23. you still remember the date of your first date?!?!?!?! omg, i'm evil, for i sure can't... *grin*

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Shadow, my dear? I love it when you come to visit!! And, yep, I always remember the date. Unforgettable.

        Delete
    24. Well, she's good. But she's no Whitney. I've always felt that no one should ever even attempt that song after Whitney sang it. They just can't do what she could. I think it's so sweet that you remember your first date! I love that. Shamefully, I can't do the same. I remember it was just Pizza Hut with friends. And it was in the month of April. Does that count? LOL Oh, and I wouldn't tell a soul about any found treasure! Not a soul! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Pizza Hut...mmmm, that sounds divine!!

        Delete
    25. Holy cow, one date. How do these guys know so fast?? Hubby knew before I did, really.

      I actually like the Dolly Parton version of "I will always love you."

      If I found treasure, I would not be willing to let the state have it. It's state controlled piracy. They can't have what I have rightfully stolen ;-) Hahahaha. Finally making my FF rounds.

      ReplyDelete

    .