“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Gertrude and Heathcliff...on the bay waters



I swear this next series of three photos was new for me. All my 6+ decades, I don't ever recall seeing a seagull doing anything other than flying, perching on a pole/fence/pier. And I've seen 'em flying over water and landing in water to walk along the shoreline to hunt for food. I've also seen 'em surrounding people who are feeding them scraps of food. Or even down here, in the city...in all the parking lots...in droves!! But, this past week, while doing a little birdin' at a park nearby, out in the bay, there was one particular seagull [laughing gull to be exact] ----------BATHING! Truly, I've never seen this 'side' of them ever before. It was something to watch and remember 'cause I doubt if this'll ever happen again anytime soon....












CONNECTING TO:





- - -



HODGEPODGE



1. What's the last job you did that required elbow grease? LOL...at first, I was thinking 'outside the home'...like a job ---an occupation [paying job]. Then I realized you're asking about something/anything that required a bit of ummmph to accomplish. Okay, just yesterday, I edged the back lawn....by HAND. We can't mow in the back because of the new lawn coming up in areas that Bud is reseeding, but the lawn's edge around the foundation of the house and then the stone flower wall needed some trimming....I crawled on my hands and knees and hand trimmed with non-mechanical clippers about 200 feet of lawn. It didn't entail much 'scrubbing' action, but by the time I was done, my ELBOW [seriously] was tense....a good friend of mine showed up ----ARTHURitis.

2. March Madness, aka the men's Division I basketball championship, is nearing an end. What sort of 'madness' has your house seen this month? Nuttin' Honey.

3. What's your favorite shop for browsing? Are you kidding me? I don't have a 'favorite'. I just love to browse...heck, even a grocery store can get me motivated to buy, buy, buy. But I don't, don't don't.

4. Is there ever a time when giving up makes sense? The saying goes, if at first you don't succeed....well, I say....pfffft. If something doesn't work, give it up. No matter what it is. If it's meant to be, it'll work out in the end. One way or another. My very first job, my boss was an older man, and when I'd obsess over something ...mistakes at the job or something I'd share with him in terms of life not going the way I thought [I was in my late teens]...he told me once "Just remember, 100 years from now it'll make no difference". So in terms of giving up, there is a point in time when giving up makes a heckuva lotta sense. In other words, don't cry over spilled milk...give up. Again, if it's meant to be, it'll work out on its own.

5. What's a song you love that contains the name of a city, state or country in its title? I like all songs, so this is a tough one for me. El Paso by Marty Robbins....I Left My Heart in San Francisco by Tony Bennett....New York, New York by Frank Sinatra [or even Liza Minelli], Amarillo by Morning with George Strait. I could go on and on.

6. When did you first begin using a computer? About 20+ years ago...before WINDOWS [command ---DOS command to logon].

7. Did you buy girl scout cookies this year? What's your favorite? No, I didn't, but my favorite is the Mint, hands down.

8. Insert your own random thought here. March always seems two months long...I don't know why. It's like it should be April something by now to me....are we there yet?








CONNECTING TO:

43 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Mari? Loved your Wordless photo today.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Glad it put a smile on your face Denise.

      Delete
  3. Thin Mints get my vote, too! I can't even begin to imagine what a job that would be to edge your lawn by hand! Very impressive, I must say! Hope you have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'mornin' April. Soon I can say that [on Sunday] and it WILL be April. Oh never mind. I'm kinda goofy today.

      Delete
  4. You are a better woman than I am to edge the lawn by hand! I think I would have just given up on that one...seems like a good place to practice just giving up! Enjoyed your ruminations this morning...and the photos of the gulls bathing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...around here with the high amount of humidity, we couldn't let it grow to wild or we'd have grass growing up the side of the house.

      Delete
  5. Well this year it just seems later because of the weather! The other day I kept saying the date as "May..." It just hasn't been Marchy any2here this year, so maybe that's what's making March seem so long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a weird year this year...the weather, the time...the whole shebang. Yep, your words ring true.

      Delete
  6. Marh is slowly going by with me, also. Whew-edging the lawn by hand now that is some elbow grease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really wasn't hard until I knew I was nearing the end of the job...then I started to ache. LOL

      Delete
  7. I haven't thought of Red Skelton in years!! I was just a kid, but I still remember his Gertude and Heathcliffe sketches...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too...I don't think, as a kid, I missed his shows. My dad was a fan. Now, I have a DVD of some of his comedy skits.

      Delete
  8. Incredibly beautiful pictures you show of gulls.
    I have two blogs one is my photoblog - www.finus.dk - the other is wild with everyday life - www.finus.dk (on the close thing) needlework / house / garden / dog etc.
    Wishing you a good day.
    Hugs Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hanne. I added you to my google reader. And will continue to read your posts. I especially enjoyed your woodpecker photos today.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful photos ~ Wow! ~thanks, namaste, ^_^ linked w/ Outdoor Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. I learned on Windows 3.1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an old version too.

      Delete
  11. I don't even remember my first computer. But I do distinctly remember leaving Windows behing and becoming a Mac addict. Your gull pictures are fun, and cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really not sure if I could even understand and operate on a MAC. Anyhooooo, I really enjoyed reading your post today.

      Delete
  12. Especially understood your comment about shopping even at the grocery store! It's such a fun place to shop...LOL For the first time in years, we bought Girl Scout Cookies...my husband hid them but the kids found them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...the kids know their parents' habits and secret 'hidey holes' pretty well in your household too, huh?!!

      Delete
  13. I'm hopping over from Joyce's Hodgepodge today and I have loved your answers. I chuckled at your computer answer. It doesn't seem that long ago that you had to close down the program you were using before you could open up another - good grief, those pre-Windows days were a nightmare when you were juggling typing a letter for the boss as well as entering data on a spreadsheet. Time management was a whole different ballgame back then!!

    Best wishes, Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep.....long long ago, for sure.

      Delete
  14. Good Job edging that yard by hand. I've done that before and it is no fun at all. Satisfying, but not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like they all had fun. I hope the water is not very cold. But they don't mind I guess. ^_^

    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let's just say the water is chilly, but not bad.

      Delete
  16. You always have the best photos! We were lucky enough to see a gull bathing the last time we were down that way (beginning of the month, tho it seems much longer ago than that) - and also one strutting around another in a way that could only be courting. Too bad I didn't have my camera! But hubby and the two friends we were with watched for a good half hour.
    Hope "Arthur" doesn't stay long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment....much appreciated. In fact, I so enjoy such positive comments and deplore the negative comments a few leave for me. Well, that was definitely a 'first' for me...never have I ever seen a seagull bathing.

      Delete
  17. I'm like you, have never seen seagulls doing anything else, either. So these are pretty rare pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't is rare? I surely think so.
      As for birds...love your new header Ginny.

      Delete
  18. You know, now that I think about it, I've never seen one doing that either. I find the back yard birds entertaining when they are in the bird bath so it must have been fun to watch these sea gulls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I too think it was a very unusual sight.

      Delete
  19. I love that you named the sea gulls!!
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those names are from a Red Skelton skit from long ago...about two seagulls.

      Delete
  20. Hi honey
    Great pic's. I always enjoy coming by here and see what your up too.
    You are on my post this week...I just had to tell everyone about your button on the side bar. How I love that Blogazine Button. lol
    Anyway why didn't you tell me that your post was not on my Blogazine page. It is now.
    Hope your having a good week
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhhhhh, Shucks Maggie!!! You do know how to make this ol' gal blush!!

      Hope you're having a super Springtime.

      Delete
  21. Being southern, Georgia on My Mind, Sweet Georgia Brown, and one from a 70's band called The Atlanta Rhythm Section called Doraville.

    I remember DOS well and I also had the MacIntosh SE from 1984. Wow, that seems like a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....why didn't I think of Georgia on my Mind...of course I like Ray Charles' version best.

      Delete
  22. That is what we are here for, to catch the moment!

    ReplyDelete

.