“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Fragmenting the Oscars...

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to visit any of you who stopped by yesterday [Thursday] --I wasn't home from early morning 'til late at night, and I'll publish this when I have completed my Friday's thoughts and then go snooze some before the daylight hours arrive. I'm gonna try and get around to saying 'howdy' to y'all today if I can!!! My post for today is a delayed reaction post...by that I mean...I haven't had much time online/blogging to actually sit down and 'talk about' the Oscars from this past Sunday, so I'll do it now...


  • Watched the Oscars streamed live on the computer from around 5:00 PM CST to its closing winner ---The Artist movie of the year. I have really been lax in movie going lately. In fact, the only two that I saw in the theater were War Horse and Rango [Rango won best animated feature]. And for me, War Horse was good, but oh so typical an animal story. Personally, I didn't think it was close to Oscar material. Now, what boggled my mind, and this shows that I didn't even pay any ATTENTION to movies this year; I didn't know that we had a Silent Film!! I can't even recall that The Artist was here in our theaters. LOL [Guess I lived under a rock in 2011] ---But, the fashions are really what I like to view...the walk down the Red Carpet. And I picked a few that were my favorites, as I do every year. I think my favorite was Viola Davis's green gown!! Then, the two runners-up were J-Lo [her gown was quite Egyptian I think, and tastefully revealing I thought. But now the 'buzz' is that her nipple was exposed ---:sigh: OMGoodness, I'm sure the media just pounced on that story!!] - and - Stacey Keibler's stunning gold ensemble. I loved the off shoulder cut, and the gold lame; all the way up to the hip's rose drape. But, of this gown, watching her try and walk in it...hilarious.

  • The only 'star' that was absent in attendance at the red carpet pre-show was Uggie, the dog in the best picture of the year...The Artist. Rumor has it, he'll now retire. Just think, retiring at age 7. Heck even in doggie years, that would be 49! Whoa...

  • Oh, and one big whoopty-do about Angelina Jolie strutting her stuff in her black velvet gown...slit up to her thigh---and she stopping in front of the red carpet cameras, stickin' out her ugly leg ---LOL I can't understand the fascination with her OR Brad Pitt. Never have, never will. Not to mention his ex --Jennifer. Old hat. Too bad there is really nothing to cover in those tabloid rags that would sell for them, 'cause I for one get real tired of seeing their mug shots at the stores' check-out stands.

  • Not to ignore the men....Even tho you really can't say too much about their style 'cause it's all so redundant, I did like the way Sean Combs carried himself...very stately, well dressed and just all and all spiffy---

  • I really really liked the acceptance speech on the Sound Editing award [or some such award for sound] I believe it was --for the movie Hugo...it was ingenious and smart. One of the editors on stage thanked
      "everyone who is here, everyone who is not here, everyone who has been born and everyone who has been reborn. 'If I left anyone out, you know who you are'."

  • All time favorites of mine - Meryl Streep. And Christopher Plummer...[remember him?] Oh how I adored him from The Sound of Music on up to today---just think, he's just two years younger than the Oscar himself, which he noted on stage!!!

  • As I posted at the beginning, I'm done with my usual blog Oscar rant, tho very late this year because I've been busy cleaning house during the day and not on the computer much. Now it's time to exit....stage left





  • CONNECTING TO:
    Mommy's Idea







    - - -

    Original [our Persian, Winston]...



    ..."on canvas"



    Techniques used in PaintShop Pro:

    Fine Leather
    Pastel filter
    Canvas
    Frame
    x2 Frame
    Goldplate Nameplate "Marbles of Aquamarine"





    CONNECTING TO:
    Photo Art Friday

    48 comments :

    1. Replies
      1. ...and we 'love' you too, Denise!

        Delete
    2. That photo of the cat is wonderful..the original and the remastered one! I would SO love to get one of those editing programs that are more in-depth than Photoscape (which is free), but I haven't been able to justify the expense - yet. Still working on it! As for the Oscars, I simply don't watch. I rarely go to movies - think the last one was Shrek! If I do watch them, they are out on DVD or on DirecTV...so I never know anything other than what I hear. The actors, for me, are just people with a particular talent, acting, and I get very tired of them thinking that makes them authorities on ANYTHING else! There, now my Oscar rant is over too...thanks for a place to put my soapbox for the morning! Have a great day, Anni!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Are you kidding? I loved your 'rant'. You go girl. Hmmmm, just below, I posted to Dawn that she was the only one who doesn't really watch movies, then, I read YOU TOO?!!!

        Delete
    3. Winston is so handsome and what a lovely processing this is. Portrait worthy. Yes those oscars are pretty ridiculous.... very puffed up group of people. Be sure to stop by my blog post and join in for the giveaway. Know you would enjoy those great textures that bonnie is giving away. Have a great day!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Jeanne...LOVE your canal image!!!

        Delete
    4. Winston is a beautiful cat.
      I like both versions (original and with post-processing).

      Regards and best wishes

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Comparing YOUR photo work with mine....I must say, yours is much more artful!!

        Delete
    5. -chuckle- I keep looking at Brad Pitt. (Not REALLY, but you know what I mean.) Trying to figure out the wild appeal is... Are we just old? -giggles- Does one have to be under 38 or something, to SEE it? Whatever...

      The gowns! That's what it's all about! I agree! -grin- I can't get that worked up over the *fantastic deepness of film*, etc. Or whatever it is, that others get all worked up over.

      There! Sounding like a grumpy, olden broad, hu? -giggles- Well, why not? That happens to be what I am!!! :-)

      "I couldn't have electricity in the house, I wouldn't sleep a wink. All those vapors floating about."
      ~Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Auntie...you can have ALL of Brad...[like he's mine to give...LOL] I just can't stand looking at him. Ewwww. LOL

        And I do hope you expand on your birthDAY soon. At least give us more of a clue other than it being in March.

        Delete
    6. What a gorgeous cat....both versions are beautiful...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, your purple daisies isn't half bad either....so pretty.

        Delete
    7. A good tux can go a long way!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. G'day Wayne...love the fact that your student's work took a 'happy precedence' over your own published work. That says so much about you.

        Delete
    8. I have never in my life watched the Academy Awards, mainly because I'm not into movies, so I don't know what or who they're talking about. I just get so tired of this season of them pumping themselves up more than even the "normal". Such a disgusting display of self and wealth. And Brangelina - UGH!!! I just get sick to my stomach of them and their "brood." Those poor poor children. I do enjoy seeing the gowns in the mags afterward, but have to say I enjoy the "worst" shots even better than the"best!" What does that say about me??

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh most definitely they do 'pump themselves up'. Y'know tho...I think you're the only one I know that doesn't 'get into movies'.

        Delete
    9. I didn't watch the Oscars - haven't seen most of the movies either. I'm always a little behind the times!
      Winston is a beautiful cat. I think he could be in movies!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well, let's not tell HIM that. He's already got an ego that won't quit. LOL [enjoyed your coming home post Mari!]

        Delete
    10. I thought War Horse was a shallow and rather poorly done movie, I was disappointed in it. I loved the Artist, but I thought Brad Pitt was excellent in Moneyball. I laughed at the guy who imitated Angelina's stance when he picked up his award. I heard that everybody was doing the Angelina the next day on the talk shows! I also loved the gold dress but wasn't thrilled with J-Lo's outfit. I thought the arm holes looked a little weird. I loved Penelope Cruz's dress, though!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I agree about Brad Pitt, I loved him in Moneyball and he was so good in The Tree of Life. The tree of life tested my attention span but it was beautiful.

        Delete
      2. Well, you can tell....I can't stand Brad NOR Angelina. LOL

        Delete
    11. Neat how you transformed your kitty photo into painting!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Mmmmmmmmm, your tulip post was truly 'magical'

        Delete
    12. Winston is so beautiful! I'll bet he liked your portrait of him.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Truly, your work of art is excellent.

        Delete
    13. I just cannot get worked up about the Oscars. I enjoy watching a good movie, but that's about as close as I can get to any interest in Hollywood.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. If I'd only known that y'all went and spent a day at the zoo...I coulda came along...right?

        Delete
    14. Winston's portrait is befitting of one for a celebrity! Well done. Thank you for sharing with PAF.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Bonnie...I think I fell in love with your 'grandmother love' post!! Incredible.

        Delete
    15. As always your thoughts (about the Oscars) made me LOL and are right on the nose too!! My favorite dress was Michele Williams.

      The picture of Winston is quite handsome...but then so is the
      subject.
      Hugs Madi and Mom

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. M&M...loved your challenge post!

        Delete
    16. I don't pay anyy attention to the Oscars. I did see a photo on someone's blog of Angelina sticking both her knees/legs through the side slits on her dress. It was awful!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Loved your snowy images and the fun time with beads.

        Delete
    17. wonderful "on canvas" image :)
      Stay inspired!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Michelle, I loved your 'neon' art! Very much.

        Delete
    18. Winston is a very handsome cat and your canvas print of him is wonderful.
      I use to watch the Oscars but for some reason have gotten away from it in recent years.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I really enjoyed viewing what you had done with your flower image Ida!!

        Delete
    19. I know you will love some of the Jolie'ing pictures on the web now. Her leg started a picture meme.
      "The Descendants" should have gotten best picture.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh yes...I've seen some of those images online...very deserving for the Ms. #$!!!@0

        Delete
    20. I must be living under a rock too because I'd never even heard of The Artist and can't recall it ever being at our theatres! I watched the Oscars for the first time in years and now I remember why I had stopped watching it! lol Only part I truly enjoyed and was thrilled about is when Meryl Streep and Christopher Plummer won...I'm a big fan of both of them and they both deserved to be recognized for their excellent acting talents. By the way, I also laughed when I saw Stacey Keibler trying to walk in that gown of hers! hehe

      Love what you did with Winston's picture, such a wonderful effect!! xoxo

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Love the day at the spa on your blog Pea...that was a hoot!!

        Delete
    21. I didnt watch Oscars. I watched the Red Carpet on E! I just like to see what the celebs wear but I don't need much else. The only nominated movies I saw were The Help & Crazy Stupid Love (wait...was that nominated?). I don't get to the movies much.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I just bought the book "Help" 'cause the movie looks good. Does that make any sense? LOL

        Delete
    22. I was so attracted to your cat's picture. Love the colors and textures

      ReplyDelete
    23. The Artist was actually only in the more artsy theaters, which is why most people missed it. In our artsy theaters movies only stay a few weeks. They may release it all over since it's won, it's a great movie to see. Hugo should be released on video soon, if not already out. And The Descendants is definitely a must see.

      ReplyDelete
    24. What a great portrait of your cat..and I love the title you gave it! The Oscars? I always watch and wait for the few unique moments of nostalgia that might pop up, a glimpse of someone we haven't seen in years...and watching live spontaneous, unexpected events..

      ReplyDelete
    25. Way cool!!! Very interesting edit. Gorgeous kitty.

      ReplyDelete
    26. P.S. Forgot to say I enjoyed your Oscar review. I have to say I'm somewhat in agreement with you. Though I didn't see The Artist, I didn't think most of the movies were really Oscar material. I did love Tree of Life but it's so different it would not appeal to everyone. Thanks for sharing.

      ReplyDelete

    .