“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Does she, or doesn't she?

I've been debating; trying to figure out which image[s] to use for my Watery and Outdoor Wednesday post. Should I post the image I have from underneath Bob Hall Pier on the North Padre Island, or should I share the Cooper's Hawk cleaning itself after it chowed down with its prey? There is a place that we love going to see all the birds in and around Port Aransas [as you know by now]. I am thinking that I'll put up the pier for Watery Wednesday and then make another post of the hawk in a small puddle over on Mustang Island with my Camera Critters post on Saturday. On a side note, this past Sunday morning, early, our resident neighborhood Swainson's hawk reappeared in his favorite tree once again...he was busy eating something!!! What's funny...but, really not funny...just an observation more or less; the same tree is used profusely by the black birds; the grackles. Tons of them at one time perch there and sing, squawk, fly in and fly out...continually all day long and into the hours just before sunset. But, when the hawk appears, the hawk is the only one in the huge tree. The grackles abandon all property rights.

I share Bob Hall Pier. At least the under side of it as I walked along the shore.......





Okay, so if you'd like to see the many snapshots I took of the hawk over in Port "A", come back on Saturday.
...and here is a 'teaser' for Saturday---






CONNECTING TO:




- - -

HODGEPODGE



1. The Hodgepodge falls on the last day of February this year, a leap year. How will you spend that extra day? Probably cleaning...been Spring Cleaning one room at a time for the past several days.

2. What has recently required a leap of faith on your part?
Oh my gosh, a leap of faith could just about cover anything from experimenting with a new jogging routine to tasting a new flavored ice cream. To define the "leap" would be all personal and for so many reasons. If I get down to the nitty gritty of things, my biggest leap of faith would be to marry Bud...I did, and I'd say it's working out well. -44 years this May. But the most recent would be to finally discontinue our cable TV --we've had cable since the 1972, to be exact, and I thought I really could not do without...but it's been over a month now, or close, and I don't miss it at all!!

3. We're one week into the season of Lent...are you marking these 40 days in some way? Giving something up or adding something extra to normal life? How's it going so far? I haven't observed Lent [the action of giving up something] since well...since raising our kids.

4. When was the last time you sat beside a fire? It's been years. For the past two decades we've lived in the desert and now in the warm, balmy sub-tropics to keep our body heated. Oh wait a minute, I forgot, we DID have a fire in the fireplace on the eve of the Millennium [that's when we lived in AZ] where we ate our dinner at midnight to see the new century come into existence.

5. Surf and Turf is on the menu. Do you order as is or do you ask for just the surf (lobster), just the turf (steak), or a menu so you can select another option? Well, around here, surf and turf doesn't have lobster...oh it does, but you can also order either shrimp or crab cakes along with your steak. I'll always take shrimp and steak on my surf/turf!!! Always. I'm not too crazy over lobster.

6. If you could have any television program back, not in reruns but in new episodes, what program would you choose? I could really go for another batch of new "Mystery Science Theater" --where they showed B movies and had the two 'characters' Servo and Crow in the audience giving snide commentary on the movie's scripts! They were just too funny, which made the program worth watching. So I could laugh!!! There are enough 'stupid' movies around to keep this program going forever. AND another one....long long long ago, there was a situation comedy of the "old West". The tv program was called BEST OF THE WEST. It was quite funny. Especially one character. His name was "Frog". The program has quick wit, and spoofed the westerns. Very funny as I recall. In fact, the one line that Bud and I cracked up over still falls into our conversations quite often. The new town marshall asked our 'favorite' character what his name was...he replied Frog...and then added "guess that's why they call me Frog". You had to be there. Doesn't sound so funny as I type it...but it was. The show only lasted a year or two, but it made an impact on us. Wish it would come back...at least on DVD. I'd buy it just for the laughs. I know you said "No Reruns" but new episodes...well, Tracey Walter is still around and I'm sure he could pull off the character...only if possible, a SENILE "Frog" now in his golden years in the west? Ya, sure, I could see that happenin'.



7. They say an elephant never forgets. These days would you say your memory is more like an elephant or a gnat? For the most part, like an elephant. Except for a few non-important things I sometimes forget ---like, making a grocery list and forgetting to take it with me when I go to the store. Or a name to put to a face. I can remember the face, but oftentimes I forget the name. That's about it. Now, I forget...what was your question? Oh ya, elephant. Hands down [hands down on the gnat...swat him good! Pesky little boogers.]

8. Insert your own random thought here. I have also posted directly below this issue on my blog THOUGHTS ABOUT LEAP YEAR. Today, I'm Kate Winslet's Twin...wonder just who your celebrity twin is? Well, then.... click here





CONNECTING TO:



character FROG played by Tracey Walter. image borrowed from IMDB
his film bio here

BEST OF THE WEST info here

61 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. As always, Denise, glad you enjoyed your visit.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. so, did you take the quiz? Who is your celebrity twin?

      Delete
  3. I hope I remember saturday as I like hawks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to and remind you. They are quite something, the images of him piddling around in the water puddle.

      Delete
  4. As usual, you are simply chock full of fun-filled facts...hope you have a great leap day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but, but....did you take the quiz? Who's YOUR twin.

      Delete
  5. Beauteous photo ~ Love Padre Island ~ my son lived there for awhile ~ namaste, carol (A Creative Harbor) linked w/Watery Wednesday ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol.....this photo I posted is NORTH Padre Island. I'm thinking you got a bit confused with South Padre Island maybe? There is a whole slew of islands along the Texas Gulf Coast. While there ARE residents on our NPI, there aren't that many...as compared to SPI with quite a population.

      Delete
  6. Lifes too short, put all the pictures up at once lol
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget...loved your waterfall image today. And if I posted a whole lot of photos at once, it seems then there are the whiners who find it in their hearts to complain about the post being too busy and slow loading. Can't please everyone.

      Delete
  7. You're the first one to say (of all the hodgepodges I've read so far) that you have an elephant memory. That's awesome! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I can remember everything Bud has done for me to make my life more miserable. Each and every ONE [just kidding...insert a wink here]

      Delete
  8. Right with you on the elephant memory-yep forget to take the list to the store-so like me! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know 'bout you, but it's like....almost EVERY blessed time too.

      Delete
  9. If given a choice I'd take a Maryland crab cake with my turf : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, I like crab cakes much better than lobster. Of course the drawn butter with lobster is something I'd consider. LOL

      Delete
  10. Mmmmmmmm... Very nice watery pic....

    Lent...? Nope. I have horror memories of being OCD, about "keeping Lent." Yikes!!!! Ughhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

    "The most serious charge which can be brought against New England is not Puritanism but February."
    ~Joseph Wood Krutch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean about OCD 'keeping Lent'?

      Delete
  11. Excellent post, Anni...
    Thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lina....glad you came by for a visit.

      Delete
  12. I used to have a memory like an elephant ... now it's like a sieve. :-(

    I remember our trip to North Padre Island ... 1970, I think. Everyone in my family will always remember that trip because when I pointed out some of the shore birds, my youngest sister (who was 11 at the time) remarked "those aren't birds, those are sticks with rags on them". We've never let her live that down. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny about the seagulls and shorebirds. Loved your answer you put down for Lent.

      Delete
  13. Same thing happens on my front porch when the Cooper's Hawk shows up. He's all alone, and just seconds before it was crowded with little songbirds. I enjoyed your random thoughts and made me ponder when was the last time I sat by a fire. A long time ago, I think, since I can't remember any of them in the recent past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning sweet lady!! I enjoyed readin' your post today too. Growing old is something we should be proud of...not try and look younger. I don't like colored hair...I don't like artificial nails or heavy make-up...plastic surgery...just be as natural as can be....'cause everything LOOKS FAKE - and oftentimes quite 'witchy'.

      Delete
  14. We have a hawk that shows up near the nursing home and when he appears all the other birds leave. They are majestic birds!
    Nice pier shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari, Mari...you left me breathless with your post today!! Amazing.

      Delete
  15. I haven't been to North Padre Island.. maybe some day.. Great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty...it's tranquil...I love it. Come on down!!

      Delete
  16. That Celeb Quiz was lots of fun. I thought it was funny that the start they paired me with, as well as having a similar personality also has the same random allergy. Who knew.

    If you're curious it's Sandra Bullock, and the allergy is to horses.

    http://www.beautyriot.com/makeup-beauty/quiz-whos-celeb-twin-q6481/result/a201

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is amazing that you and Sandra are so much alike! Glad you had fun with it.

      Delete
  17. Anni, I love your vantage point on this shot, seems like you got your feet wet! And I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....if it's not in the dead of winter when the water temp is below 70...I'm always barefooted when I walk. Well, most times.

      Delete
  18. At first I wondered how you got this fabulous shot Anni, then figured out there must be a walk alongside the water. I'm always interested about the "underpinnings" of structures--makes some great photos too.

    I hear you about whether to post multiple photos. Sometimes you just need to to tell the story, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, the 'walkway' is the sandy shore. :o)

      Delete
  19. Very interesting.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy...I do hope your leap of faith with your hodgepodge will turn into something good eventually...anxieties over the "C" word can be very difficult to go through.

      Delete
  20. What a beautiful picture of under the boardwalk. It is quite an out of the ordinary shore shot. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I failed to mention that just above my head [the real dark area above] is the floor to a restaurant on the pier.

      Now, after reading your hodgepodge, I want to go camping in AZ.

      Delete
  21. I tried to take the celebrity quiz, but it was taking forever to load...UGH! I love the boardwalk picture...makes me want to head to the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean....I've lived in Wintry Colorado, and the desert...I'll never leave this proximity to the Gulf!!! I love the beach. Especially enjoyed your 'leap of faith' answer today.

      Delete
  22. We discontinued our cable tv service when we moved in Sept and I LOVE it! Haven't missed it at all and have gotten to spend more time doing what I love. May never go back.

    I took the quiz and ended up Zoe Saldana. They must have missed the answer my figure is "Eh, ok." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly....I must live under a rock...never heard of Zoe. But, I did like your hodgepodge today...especially the idea of a quilt swap.

      Delete
  23. The pier shot is excellent, so artistic! Can't wait till Saturday's post! We used to watch "Mystery Science Theater", many years ago. I had forgotten about it! My celeb twin is America Ferrara, you may remember her as Ugly Betty!!! Wah!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh now....that's not a bad thing...America is rich in so many ways such as you are...with an artist like your granddaughter Anne for one.

      Delete
  24. Excellent post really!!!!!!!!! I enjoyed everything!! Thank you for your visit to my "Watery Wednesday" post on zOOm
    Best regards from Greece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you...it was a pleasure meeting you too.

      Delete
  25. We love your watery picture....and your Q&A is always fun and informative.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi M&M!!! Seems that I have the solution to your quandary on Sugar's whereabouts...check your blog comments and see if you agree.

      Delete
  26. I love this shot! How I'd love to take a stroll on this pier, hear the waves gently lapping below and scan the serene horizon, beholding the glory of nature. Memories....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley...as I loved your watery wednesday photo also.

      Delete
  27. I like this photo but can't wait to see the other photo. I love to do spring cleaning but you know here in MI still cold and so maybe next month I am going to do my spring cleaning and purging too ^_^ Thanks for the visit!

    The Beach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get rid of a lot too, but maybe sometime. Now, no. LOL

      Delete
  28. Thanks for your visit the other day - its good to know some bloggers click through on links like you do.

    I always think its strange that when you walk along a pier and see the sea through the planks you wonder how strong they are - yet when you see it from the underside you realise there are all those pylons to hold them up - that is until they get weathered and rot but we won't go there lol

    Take care
    Cathy

    Cathy @ Still Waters

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like your new profile photo. Now I have a closeup photo of you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loved that WW shot, Anni. Great perspective and use of light and dark in your composition!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have a huge tree out where I walk my dogs and a redtail hawk lives in it with its mate...the blackbirds know exactly when to clear out. Nice shot of the pier, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pesky little boogers made me laugh today; reminds me of the troll's boogers in HP :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great water picture. No matter what beach you go to, it's always breathtaking. I take our beach for granted, at least the past few years I have.

    I love MST3K. One of my favorites is Circus On Ice. My husband is quite a comedian and he hates a lot of the shows I watch (mostly reality shows.) so I let him add commentary, only because he's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love that shot of the pier! I'll never forget the first time I walked on a long pier like that, it was in White Rock, BC, when I went to visit my two older brothers and I was quite fascinated with the shrimp baskets that were being hauled in and out right from the pier!! Talk about buying fresh shrimp! lol

    I'm like you, I haven't followed the Lent tradition since my kids were little. Mom still does, though, and she gives up dessert, although she still eats ice cream, pudding and jello because she says that's not dessert like cake and cookies! lol She's too cute!

    I've never ordered Surf & Turf in a restaurant, I find it way too expensive. Not that crazy about seafood anyway:-)

    I took the quiz...

    Your separated-at-birth celebrity twin is: Sandra Bullock

    All-American girl next door? Yep, that's Bullock -- and you. It's impossible for people not to smile around either of you -- your positive attitude is that contagious. We're also willing to bet that, like Bullock, you were a cheerleader in high school.

    Even though you may have waved pom-poms, you're no prissy girly girl. You can hang with the guys, drink beer and get dirty when you want to -- but you're no stranger to high heels and lipstick either. This combo basically makes you every guys' dream girl (even if, like Bullock, you're not always lucky in love).

    To channel your inner Bullock: Try a look that's dressy but not too fussy. Bullock always looks put together but still keeps an element of fun. A slightly messy updo paired with a cute dress and polished makeup (don't forget the lipgloss for that mega smile you have) are perfect. Check out some of her best looks here.

    Weird thing you didn't know about Bullock: She loves horses but is terribly allergic to them.

    I can live with that! lol Enjoyed your Leap Year facts as well:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

.