my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




The Old Man and the Sea


Shadow [and silhouette] of a fisherman at sunrise
The flock of birds is pelicans


connected to: Shadow Shot 2 [linked button at top of blog]



- - -

SUNDAY'S SUMMARY


Posting my summary early today...just 'cause. After completing the kitchen floor re-tiling this past week [image here], we took a day off from any house work, and broke down on the exorbitant entry charge for the Texas State Aquarium. Enjoyed our morning walking around and watching the dolphin show. I took many-a-photos with my cell phone camera, but still have yet to get them uploaded to the computer and resized and watermarked for my blog. Jelly fish, sharks, tropical and colorful fish, birds and more along with several of the three dolphins and their entertaining antics at Dolphin Bay in the aquarium's complex. They will be posted eventually, just when tho, I am not sure. LOL A couple of days later, after our sore muscles went back into hiding [you know --we used muscles we didn't know we had type feeling?] from crawling on hands and knees ripping tile and replacing tile, we did go for a couple hours' walk on the beach. So, so serene and peaceful. The beach access road we chose on the island, this time, it was only Bud and me along with one other guy that was flying his remote-controlled airplane...very quiet; which I love. And yet, to think in a little over a month, it'll be Spring Break again and the beaches will be overrun with college students. :::sigh::: One thing I look forward to after the Spring Breakers returning to class, the beach is 'mine' again and soon to be seaweed season where all the drift seeds show up. I love combing the weeds to find my sea hearts and other drift seeds!! Anyway, I repaid my dear man for all his hard work with the floor, by baking a batch of peanut butter cookies!! The old adage of the way to a man's heart is through his stomach holds true with Bud...cookies'll always get his mojo flowing. And, I must admit, they were gooey delicious with my icy glass of cold milk! I was happy as a pig in a mud hole the other day when I went to our neighborhood H E B's [Texas Grocery Store] and found that Fancy Feast was only 40 cents a can!! Whoa...ask me if I stocked up on it? You betcha!! Also, again...making Bud happy, they had Jimmy Dean sausage [a 12 oz. roll] for $1! Normally, they sell for $2.40---so, I threw several of those in the cart. We won't be going out for our Sunday brunch for a while. LOL So, I went to get some fresh oranges on sale...8 for $1...came home with canned cat food, sausage and oranges. Plus $50 worth of more stuff. I swear, the worst thing you can do is go to the grocery store; hungry. Expecting to pay less than $10 and dole out over $60. The franchise loves suckers shoppers like me. Friday I woke up with a scratchy throat, and yesterday it was mostly a miserable, dry hacking cough. Today, somewhat better, but I think more than anything I need a good night's sleep. Waking up coughing all night is all kinds of wrong!!! I need that - The Nightime, Sniffling, Sneezing, Coughing, Aching, Stuffyhead, Fever, So-You-Can-Rest Medicine. Hmmmmm, H E B's has a pharmaceutical department...dare I go back?



IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR MY SATURDAY CAMERA CRITTER POST
...it's here: 'If I Could Talk to the Animals' :o)

41 comments :

  1. oh man anni...those cookies look yummy!!! love the fisherman photo...beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fisherman may hope for an early morning catch, but the biggest upside is the tranquility and peace that surrounds him at sunrise - no distractions, no haste. A quiet solitude that cannot occur during any other task...the sausage roll for $1.00 - I like that, and the cat foot at $0.40 - the cat is in favor of that! I like to shop for food when the store is full of loss leaders...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous picture! The cookies look yummy too. Hope you feel better - my hubby has a nasty cold too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that shot by the sea.


    Shadows at my site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Old Man and the Sea is a wonderfully engaging shadowy shot!

    I would like permission to reprint, in part, your political statement about our Republic. Do you have the source of the quote? I am in the process of making a digital print on the subject, a work-in-progress I posted
    this month.

    Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GReat shot. Love the cookies

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful scene, Anni. India has over 6000 miles of coastline but I've seen little of it, thus far. When I first arrived, we took a drive to see the Gateway of India, across from the Taj Hotel which was bombed a few years ago. It was the night of the lunar eclipse and the Arabian Sea was just beautiful. I expect, in the next two months I have left here, I'll get to Kerala and Goa to see some lovely beach vistas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful soft visual inspiring a quiet, reflective moment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your hearts on the blog! So Valentines-y! LOL

    I almost couldn't read your post for looking at and drooling over those cookies! You really should be careful about putting cookie pictures on the blog. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous shadow shot for the day, Anni! Love your "old man and the sea"! Really breathtaking, beautiful skies, birds in flight, calm seas and a happy fisherman! Add to that, Peanut Butter cookies and, well, just doesn't get any better! Hope your weekend is going well! And I do recognize that "shopper"! Could've been me!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely, lovely, lovely photo!!!

    "Childhood, catching
    our imagination when it
    is fresh and tender,
    never lets go of us."

    ~J.B. Priestley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear One,
    I wanted to ask something, in email, but do not see any email addy click-able link, on your Profile Page.

    My email addy is on my blog. Perhaps you would send me an email... ? Please? Thank you.

    "Childhood, catching
    our imagination when it
    is fresh and tender,
    never lets go of us."

    ~J.B. Priestley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love, love the beach shot! One of my very favorite subjects is the water and sunrise/sunset shots. Usually, mine are sunrise, since I live on the east coast...nice, peaceful photo. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed the critter shots today - the iguana especially. Great sunrise pic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fancy Feast is 58 cents a can here and they waste a lot of it. Once they have licked the oil out of it they lose interest. Naughty boys! They also have dry food out all the time that they pick away at.

    The picture of the water, fisherman and pelicans is lovely. I love the water and the beach, although I don't tan myself to a crisp any more! In my younger days I just broiled myself!

    I would not like all the Spring Breakers around. It seems alls they do is drink and act out. We don't get them here, too cold to be outside guzzling beer! ha!

    Those cookies look sooooooooooo yummy! I could sink my teeth right into on of them right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you are feeling better.
    The photo is so pretty!
    I have a great seaweed heart photo I took in Aptos, CA. They are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lecker, jetzt noch ein paar Kekese und dann möchte ich sofort ans Meer und es soll Sommer sein.

    Knuddel ♥ Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you identified the birds - I was wondering. I'm ready to start doing some fishing again. It's certainly been warm enough around here lately!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My son would love to have some of those cookies.

    Here's my Shadow shot. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a pretty image of the sea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the scene of the sea and the man.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a gorgeous shot. The blues are so pretty. I see the water fowl flying overhead. That adds such a nice bit to the image. genie

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so sorry you're starting to get sick. Maybe there was some crud in the air, tiny particles, from tearing up the floor?? Everyone around here has been sick for months!! Can't wait to see the rest of the aquarium pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anni, I'm so sorry you are feeling so miserable. The weather here is up and down temps, which makes everyone sick. Lots of flu going around.

    Love your new floor. You and Bud did a great job.

    If you have time, please drop over to the Writing Nook. I have a couple new posts since you last visited.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. so quiet and serene.. wonderful photo! thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anni girl that shot is beautiful! and I can understand that wanting to get Spring Break over and done with so you can have your gorgeous beach back to yourself : )
    Hey .. we still make that mistake of meaning only to pick up a few things at the store and walking out with a lot more than we were supposed to .. seems like Costco does that to us EVERY time !! Love your bargains ;-)
    great shadow shot girl !
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love hearing you talk of the beach. It takes me back to the years when the grands were all little and we always took a family vacation ea summer to Port Aransas. My sister in law lived there and we always had such fun. She died several yrs ago with cancer and we all miss her so much. Thanks for the memories.

    Love your shadow shot...and did you ever see that movie The Old Man and the Sea....Spencer Tracy?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love peanut butter cookies!

    [you know --we used muscles we didn't know we had type feeling?]
    Yes, went out with the land surveyors to mark our eastern property boundary. Two hours later...I was sore!
    Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I saw the birds immediately but didn't notice the fisherman - the shore seems an odd place to go fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You were out and about early to catch this luscious shot!

    BOOKISH SHADOWS

    Darksome shadows in my path,
    You are not the Grapes of Wrath;

    And yet when I hear your hums,
    Something Wicked This Way Comes!

    May your darkness turn to light
    Like The House of Mirth, all right?

    May all sadness drift away—
    Send Lolita here to play!


    © 2012 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Shadowy Path

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a fabulous shadow shot!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Anni! You guys are always so productive and busy. Your new floor is beautiful, and the cookies look yummy. The aquarium sounds like a go too place.

    I hope that you get over your cold fast.

    Take care,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your photograph. I admire your energy on the retiling. I'd rather take beating.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a lovely and serene capture of mood.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the shadow shot. The soft red color of the sunrise over the ocean is beautiful. Watching the sunrise is always awesome, but over the ocean is spectacular.
    Your cookies look yummy! I bet they were awesome.
    I am glad that I am not the only one that goes to the grocery for one or two items and ends up spending $50 bucks.
    Hope your cough gets better soon. I know how annoying it can be trying to sleep when all you do is cough.

    ReplyDelete
  37. great shot of the sea and the fisherman. It seems like a nice beach.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just love that picture and the caption - just lovely.

    I went to the store the other day with a list of 10 things, since it was midweek and it was supposed to hold me over till the week-end - and came home with $81.01 worth of mostly "stuff." Unbelievable. Well, hopefully this week will be less, since I got so much - but probably not.

    The pb cookies look totally yummy! But I have taken myself off sugar again, in hopes of regaining some control of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love love reading your summaries. it's like reading a really fine small-town newspaper. that plate of cookies looks delicious. are there any left? ha! your shadow shot is excellent. I look forward to seeing some aquarium shots. happy week to you Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  40. What an inviting and tranquil shot. Not to mention the tasty looking cookies! Send some over my way! ; )

    ReplyDelete

.