“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Legend of the Swamp








- - -

MONDAY MORSELS


Now there is a bit of historical significance to this primal cemetery within the swamp. First of all, I knew we were coming upon it because I read before we left what to expect. I knew OF the cemetery, but didn't know the historical facts. I also knew about the lone cabin hidden amongst the cypress trees...but, didn't know its recent history either. So, for my morsels this week, I thought I'd share what I learned...
    Long ago, there was a small Louisiana village along the banks of the Mississippi River. The name was Frenier. Julie Brown [sometimes known as Julia Brown], who owned much property in the area, had been the town oracle [aka - a voodoo priestess] in Frenier [today, pronounced fra NEAR] for many years. In the early evenings, Julia would sit on her front porch singing and playing her guitar. One of her favorite songs foretold the destruction of the town, and the lyrics of the song included, "one day I'm gonna die, and I'm gonna take all of you with me." The year was 1915 - a year that rocked the USA's Gulf Coastal regions with many devastating hurricanes. On September 28th a storm was threatening the coast, heading toward Frenier. Julia Brown died just before...then, on the 29th it hit. Many lives of the village were taken by the horrendous storm --Julia had taken the town with her when she died. Buried were many. And as the crosses show on this property, Julia was buried a far distance [shown of the smaller cemetery photos - bottom right] from any of the other townspeople so she could rest in peace, and not ever be disturbed. Perhaps even in the midst of it all, those left behind feared her religion and voodooism. Also note: the cabin hidden only to come into view when traveling along one of the swamp's canals has been used for several television shows [like Survivor] and in a video for Country Western Music. One song video recorded was Black Fly by Linda Ortega....




    * * *




    'tons' more coming
    this one is taken within the
    city limits of New Orleans
    stay tuned...






20 comments :

  1. that's spooky!!! your pictures capture it perfectly as well! missed you, dearest anni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ist das ein alter Friedhof?
    Schaut sehr geheimnisvoll aus.

    Herzlichst ♥ Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marianne Yes, it's very old. And yes, it is quite mysterious...even in the light of day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She definitely had the gift of seeing the future, it seems. Good story! I hope she is indeed resting in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos ~ interesting story ~ Great for MYM ~ ~ thanks, namaste, Carol (A Creative Harbor) Happy MYM ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a very interesting history/folk lesson. It's sounds like another civilization down there. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooooooooooo coooooool a post! Oh I'd love to do such a ride. Used to just want to see the beautiful old homes of the South. Now I want to see MORE things of the South. :-)

    Gentle hugs,
    "Christmas was close at hand, in all his bluff and hearty honesty;
    it was the season of hospitality, merriment, and open-heartedness."

    ~~Charles Dickens

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love stories like this. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pics and I love that song..Not sure I've ever head Ms. Ortega sing but I do like her voice!!!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gee maybe you should join our writing group up in Bonners Ferry.
    I like your banner, I think that what it called with boat and the sea gull.

    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty..

    Here's my mellow yellowplease come and see. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are some interesting images Anni!

    Happy Macro Monday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting piece of history, very spooky. Love the pics that little cabin is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anni, I finally had a few minutes to drop by and catch up. I would love to see this area. It's deeply steeped in history and I would find it fascinating.

    Thank you for sharing your trip and some of the history of the area. Looking forward to more...

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that was so interesting and a little spooky also. I love the photos that you take and I can't wait to see what you come up with next.
    I really like your header.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank's for sharing..

    Visiting for MYM! Hope you can visit mine too..

    http://www.cassandrasminicorner.com/2011/12/yellow-octupos-kids-cart.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great story...and the cabin is really a bit eerie. Love the shots, and I cannot wait for more. genie

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

.