my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


GO GREEN?-----{and red}





macros: poinsettia on our fireplace mantle - whimsical santa figurine - santa napkin rings





MONDAY MORSELS



The Green Thing

In the line at the store, the cashier told an older woman that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But the lady was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that old lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?





Green Thing article was not my work...it was emailed to me; graphic designed by me -shared here.

32 comments :

  1. Christmas is endearing,
    Very beautiful pictures,
    These days I wish peace and happiness come to your house.
    Happy Holidays!.
    a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. visiting via Mellow Yellow Monday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wieder sehr, sehr schön ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the green article - so true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie, if I had been that old woman, I would have filled that young man's head with all the green thing we practiced in the past.
    The nerve he had to say that, when we live in such a wasteful world today. It makes me sick to think of all the computer and other electronic junk that ends up in our landfills. Also the amount of food that is wasted by Americans when there is so much hunger in the world.
    So as you can see, this article got me on my soap box.
    Thank you for sharing this dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right. It's a nice entry with lovely Christmas photos.
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love thist post, and your blog! I am now a follower xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan....you couldn't have stated it better my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Go Green graphic is fantastic! Love it! The article is really meaningful too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good, Anni, I'm glad you shared it with me. Totally true. And we also didn't have laptops like I'm using right this minute. When my kids were little, I washed diapers. They didn't have throwaways, and there are so many more people these days. Thanks for regifting this post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, this is fabulous! It needs to be reposted everywhere - so thoughtfully done and so true. Wow, we did have the "green thing" back then!! It is irritating how superior the young ones think they are, isn't it??

    The poinsettias - so beautiful. My favorites pictures of our trips to Hawaii are the huge banks of poinsettias - and we go in December, so it's like they have come out to decorate for Christmas.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS - is it okay with you if I share the "green thing" on my Facebook page?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhhhhhhhhh yesssssssssssssssss!!! I too remember, before The Green Thing became the Fad-Du-Jour.

    Gentle Christmas hugs,

    "Christmas won't be Christmas
    without any presents."


    ~~Opening line of Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful..Thank's for sharing..


    Visiting for MYM! Hope you can visit mine too..

    http://www.cassandrasminicorner.com/2011/12/20-unusual-household-uses-of-lemon.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Besides the fact that your Santas are cute and Christmas a real good time for Ruby Red I am absolutely enthralled by your green thing post !!! that's sooooooooo true !! I was forced to switch over from a shopping bag to plastic once and nobody left me the choice to buy milk in a glass bottle ! It just didn't exist anymore !!
    I'll send your link to my son who, since he is with that Dutch girl is convinced that our generation has destroyed the whole planet, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Boy, this article hits the nail on the head. And I am dating myself, but I can attest to the truth of these things.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Going green is a good thing ~ Loved the photos!!!
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great article and nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful!! I have received that in an email too and love it!!
    Great images. I particularly like the first 2.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh... and I meant to say, I love your background on your blog. Have a lovely week & a blessed Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how I do remember real diapers and those rubber pants we put over 'em. We called 'em rubber~dubbers 'round here.

    I even made up a song to sing about 'Rubber~Dubber Time'. Heeehehee!

    We were sooooo green and didn't even know it. Yep, I agree. We could teach those youngens a thing or two about not bein' wasteful!

    God bless ya and have a marvelous day sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Anni
    Your Monday Morsels were very thoguth provoking...and so true. Love your Santas
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  24. I thought for a moment that you were truly brilliant. Well I'm sure you still are, but that article is too. Thanks for sharing and reminding. I hope I have my senses about me enough to quote some of it next time the opportunity arrives. Great post and illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous12/19/2011

    From Jeannette StG for MYM - love the quirky ornament in your second pic! Merry Christmas, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your Christmassy pictures. I totally agree with your post - today is such a throwaway mentality. Life was much simpler and cleaner.
    Thanks for your visit and comment - I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the idea of Santa napkin-rings, Anni. You have some great stuff.
    I just finished working on my ABC Wednesday posts from W to Z, and now I've got to get ready for Thursday Theme Song. Thyme fries!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very interesting post Anni!

    MYM & BM

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am a greenie. I just went to my neighborhood and look for some students to come and pick the plums from my tree. It is laden with fruit and the birds are eying. them. Better the kids and families enjoy them than to let them lie on the ground.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  30. very cute pictures of Santa and a pretty flower. Visiting late for MYM, hope that you can return the favor too.

    http://www.mommies2ks.com/2011/12/how-to-learn-about-the-car-hauler-and-the-book.html

    ReplyDelete

.