my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




miles to go before I sleep....





Soft sculptured
Bespeckled Witch's Face
Macro-eyezed!!









MONDAY MORSELS




When walking this trail, in any season, I am constantly reminded of two of my favorites; in literature. One [when we walk across the small wooden walkway, and then come upon a bridge hidden in the coarse, dense, overgrowth of trees with a trickling, sometimes motionless, brook underneath], I'm reminded of Ichabod Crane mounted on his old worn out horse; Gunpowder. [Legend of Sleepy Hollow].






    "If I can but reach that bridge," thought Ichabod, "I am safe." Just then he heard the black steed panting and blowing close behind him; he even fancied that he felt his hot breath. Another convulsive kick in the ribs, and old Gunpowder sprang upon the bridge; he thundered over the resounding planks; he gained the opposite side; and now Ichabod cast a look behind to see if his pursuer should vanish, according to rule, in a flash of fire and brimstone. Just then he saw the goblin rising in his stirrups, and in the very act of hurling his head at him......

And I must confess, sometimes when my thoughts wanders as such, I have been startled by a jogger...huffing and puffing just like the black steed...behind me. I won't lie....I've even jumped with fright for a fraction of a second. After crossing the bridge, and reaching the raised boardwalk to traipse along the canal reaching the end of the trail to stop and view the water fowl in the protected sanctuary, you must turn around and recross the "Icabod Crane" Bridge to get to the 2nd path that goes in the opposite direction----On the other far side of the park's trail the woods are so dense - dense growth of wild grasses and thick with the woods of palm, oak, mesquite and several other varieties ...only to look beyond the trees and wildflowers/grasses to see a fleeting glance of Oso Bay. This is all within the city limits, not far from the Corpus Christi A&M Campus and NAS Corpus Christi airbase. When walking on the distant side of the park, along the trail, I am reminded of Robert Frost's Poem: Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

The poem has no viable relation to the area in the park, no snow, no houses within the woods, and trees so thick the stars at night vanish. The particular line "miles to go before I sleep" I feel within my soul - the reason I like it so much; my interpretation of the entire poem, is for the fact that your journey in life is a long one, and to not stop by the woods and ponder too deeply --for there are many many miles to go before I die sleep...I've still, many times, silently recited the poem verbatim to myself as I walk along with Bud on the path. "And I have miles to go before I sleep; enjoy it all while there, don't linger too long...continue going...for there are: miles to go before I sleep".


HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO THOSE THAT OBSERVE THE DAY!!!


20 comments :

  1. I so seldom sleep...not even the four hours a night the doc tells me I must, now that I'm using a CPAP machine. I thought I'd do better, once I wwas retired and no longer on call at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Ichabod Crane story and your pictures do fit the setting! I think I would jump if overtaken by a jogger too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of my favorite Frost poems.
    Happy Halloween to you today, Anni.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep..I agree Anni...live each day as if it's your last here on earth! Embrace each day and count your blessings that you wake up each morning. Isnt it funny how we take life for granted when were young!!!! Happy Halloween to you n Bud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gosh I'm glad I made it over here!
    Now my Halloween is complete except for one thing,
    gonna go watch Johnny Depp in Sleepy Hollow. Wish you were here too!
    We could scream together and share the popcorn!
    Happy Halloween dear friend!
    Hugs
    L

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your B&W captures are perfect for Halloween! R. Frost's poem is one of my favorites - one of those that I have memorized:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A terrific series of shots Anni! Great in B&W.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Meow-o-ween Anni!!
    Two very spooky stories for sure.
    I know what you mean about bening startled by joggers. Often when we're on trails they wait until they are just about on top of us to say 'on your left' which must be jogging etiquette but it scares me worse than if they just ran by me. LOL
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wohoo that looks spooky. Happy Halloween!

    Macro

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Macro Monday! Love your photo(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A really well written (and photographed) post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh your photo was so fun. What a great soft sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great bewitching macro Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an evocative post! And of course, when you talk of Ichabod Crane on his steed, I picture the Johnny Depp version, and I can see him kicking the horse onward in the movie! Did you know he bought the movie horse afterwards, when he learned that poor Gunpowder was to be put down because he was blind in one eye?

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun is the macro-eyezed bespeckled witch!
    love that Robert Frost poem.
    "Ichabod Crane" draws one in, heart pounding.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a witch eye, lol !!

    ReplyDelete

.