“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






A moment on the lips....






I say, a new love has come to my home; and all wrapped up in dark chocolate. Then, I ask: "Bud, who?" LOL






- - -<><><>- - -

...but...Now, on a more 'serious' note for the day. A few days ago, with a phone conversation between me and Erik who is now the professor of U.S. Government at a university in Houston...we started going on the subject of black. He asked me if I thought Obama was the 1st 'black' president. Of course, with knowing my son as I do, I knew this was a trick question. And my answer was..."Pro'ly not". And..."You're going to expand on this, right?". Well, of course, he did. He points out the "One drop rule" to his students on race, color. Which I read about many times while doing our families' genealogy work. You see, the one drop rule is as follows [quoted from PBS.dot.org]:
    To be considered black in the United States not even half of one's ancestry must be African black. But will one-fourth do, or one-eighth, or less? The nation's answer to the question 'Who is black?" has long been that a black is any person with any known African black ancestry. This definition reflects the long experience with slavery and later with Jim Crow segregation. In the South it became known as the "one-drop rule,'' meaning that a single drop of "black blood" makes a person a black. It is also known as the "one black ancestor rule," some courts have called it the "traceable amount rule," and anthropologists call it the "hypo-descent rule," meaning that racially mixed persons are assigned the status of the subordinate group. This definition emerged from the American South to become the nation's definition, generally accepted by whites and blacks. Blacks had no other choice. As we shall see, this American cultural definition of blacks is taken for granted as readily by judges, affirmative action officers, and black protesters as it is by Ku Klux Klansmen.
Well, Erik enriched me by telling me that Warren G. Harding had black blood in him, tho he 'looked' white. Okay, I can live with that piece of information. But I didn't stop there. After we hung up and went about getting back to our own lifestyle...I was still thinking about this. I kept telling myself that it's highly possible being with the country's slavery issues from the beginning...it's highly possible, if not probable that many other presidents' families 'jumped the fence' so to speak. Slaves, plantation owners, presidents' ancestors...our country's history. Right? Then, I went out online after a few days with this subject still in my mind. He had piqued my interest as slavery is a great subject for me. Well, lo and behold, there was a book published in the mid 60s..."The 5 Black U S Presidents". And I quote from www.bigissueground.dot.com:
    The book was published in 1965 by the noted historian J.A. Rogers. Actually only four Presidents of Afrikan ancestry are identified in the book. They are: 1) Thomas Jefferson 2) Andrew Jackson 3) Abraham Lincoln 4) Warren G. Harding
[Harding admitted to black blood with his ancestors in speeches evidently]
    The 5th was not named in the book at that time. Even though the evidence was strong, at the time of the writing of the book, it was not conclusive that Eisenhower is/was the fifth one.

    It is also asserted that Vice-President Hannibal Hamlin, was known to have "black blood" in him. In addition, Alexander Hamilton is said to be the son of a woman, Rachel Fawcett, who had "mixed Blood".


- - -

The site also reflected an opinion regarding Eisenhower's mother and a photo the author found...making one wonder if Eisenhower indeed had mixed blood. So, I had to go out and find the photo in question:





D D Eisenhower's mother
Who can really tell?
It's possible...but without
further researching, I can't
say for sure if there is
signs of mixed blood? Can you?
It's now all just speculation.












And then, to top more, I've been reading here and there online that Dwight Eisenhower was actually born in Hungary? And his REAL name is Johann Adolf Eisenhauer? Wonder how legit this info is?!!!! I question the whole thing. But if you'd care to read more, go to Google and search for Eisenhower's birth certificate fraud.


- - -

Speaking of slavery. Today is the opening of another highly anticipated movie release in the theaters. Since Corpus Christi will not have the independent film release of Atlas Shrugged...Bud and I will go see a timely movie coming out today. "The Conspirator"...about the woman connected with Abraham Lincoln's Assassination...Mary Surratt. President Lincoln was shot on April 14th and died on the following morning, April 15th....147 years ago today.

7 comments :

  1. Interesting stuff Anni, I vaguely remember reading that Harding had "mixed blood" or something like that. I'm going to have to read more about this.

    I hope you enjoy the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I've never heard any of this before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only one I knew about was Jefferson. The Conspirator previews look pretty good. You'll have to give me your review when you see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say you did your homework girl. This was so interesting.
    I want to see that movie the Conspirator also.
    I grew up in the land of Lincoln and always read a lot of books on him.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anni isn't it just amazing to have such smart children...who are so ready to share their knowlege with us. LOL

    Excellent informative post today,
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Hootin!
    Loved reading your post.
    I'm stopping by to say hi.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed reading all this interesting information! Have a great week-end Anni!

    ReplyDelete

.