my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Up in the sky...it's a dragonfly...no, it's a Hellicopter!!


Click HERE to join
FOLLOW ME TUESDAY linked button on SIDEBAR!!



Even knowing very little about helicopters, I do know that it takes a special talent and extreme hand and foot coordination to just get them off the helipad and off the ground to fly one! Not to mention the extreme repetitious skills to actually get them to hover in one spot for just a minute....let alone SEVERAL minutes. While driving along the highway on Mustang Island the other day, Bud and I came upon a phenomenal sight. Granted, when we first spied it from a long distance it actually looked like a dragonfly atop the power poles!! Literally something from the SciFi Channel [oops, guess it's now called SyFy] . But, seriously, the closer we got, the more the whole incredible scene came into view. This huge helicopter was hovering...right next to power lines no less...and there was a guy hanging on the rudders, working!!! Dang but that was something I have never EVER witnessed before. Luckily there was a space in the marshland that I didn't think would have the car sink...so I pulled off the highway and watched; being so very mesmerized with the whole picture. I have no idea what they were doing, but I figured it was some kind of repair work. And being where the power lines ARE along the island, the land is very unpredictably shallow and the water table would make it dangerous for the heavy repair trucks to be with their 'cherry picker' ladders. I imagine this was the only logical way to do it. Trust me, it was simply something that was, for the lack of better words, an exceptional feat to watch. The helicopter pilot needs to be given a medal for his excellence in keeping the rudders just what seemed like inches off the power lines....AND the guy out there, hanging, needs a medal of bravery!!! Enlarge the photos and check out the movement of the top rotor blades! And tail...you can see the 'movement'. Oh and the ruby for this post? I'm not sure what it all is, but there seems to be a counterweight-balance of stuff on the other side....




- - -


Today...as in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar...."Beware of the Ides of March".
    On his way to the Theater of Pompey (where he would be assassinated), Caesar saw a seer who had foretold that harm would come to him not later than the Ides of March. Caesar joked, "Well, the Ides of March have come", to which the seer replied "Ay, they have come, but they are not gone." This meeting is famously dramatized in William Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar, when Caesar is warned to "beware the Ides of March"...
... and I love the play!! I saw it for the first time in High School on a field trip with my English Lit Class and will never forget it!! History of the drama - Julius Caesar is a dramatization of actual events. He was assassinated in 44 B.C. By the way: It is believed that his mother endured agonizing surgery in order to extract him at birth. This belief gave rise to the term "cesarean birth".


FYI: No, it's not a typo in my title - we call 'em HELLeecopters.

15 comments :

  1. that is one skilled piolet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I wouldn't want to be the guy sitting out there working. That is one talented pilot!
    I never heard that about Ceasers birth. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For my high school, I did Julius Caeser and enjoyed the book. Are you celebrating St Patrick's day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed! - both with their performance and with you being able to catch it with the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a wonderful article u have......have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jumpin' Catfish...oh my stars. I'm surprised that is allowed. That must be one dag gone good pilot. Thanks for this fantastic picture.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew and Super WOW is all I can say, that was so incredible. He is so brave. Thanks for dropping by

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, I can't say that's something I've ever seen either! You certainly were at the right spot at the right time:-) I wonder if that was ever mentioned in the guy's job description! lol I would have quit on the spot!!

    Anni, make sure you come over to my blog today, it's my 5th Blogiversary and I'm having a giveaway:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Around here guys have to climb the poles to do that work... I'm watching over my shoulder today on the Ides...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni, That is amazing that the helicopter can hover that close to the wires-these people are either very brave, very skilled, or very stupid. I guess I'll go with the brave and skilled answer. Given human ingenuity, man seems to be able to solve most problems. Thanks for the mini history lesson on Caesar (didn't know about the cesarean birth idea). You have a great day too. Mickie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those photos. I agree they should receive metals as it is not a job I would apply for.
    Thanks for the Tuesday history lesson. I remember when we did that play in High School as part of English class also.
    have a great day and Happy St Pat's Day to you and Bud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This really is amazing, Anni. I think both deserve hazardous duty pay. There is no way in hell I would ever do something like that, I am so terrified of open heights!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice shots!

    Rock Collection for Ruby Tuesday. Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anni, wow.. first of all your template is so grand.. i love it.. second.. this is breathtaking.. love to ride there too... hehehe.. cool! thanks for dropping by..

    ReplyDelete

.